Firefox iOS v8: l10n schedule and important update to sign-offs

Firefox iOS v8: l10n schedule and important update to sign-offs

Delphine L
Hey there localizers!

Hope you had a fantastic weekend.

Strings for Firefox for iOS v8 have just been exposed. Please read through
as we are changing our sign-off process going forwards.

* String freeze: April 21st (past)
* Localization deadline: May 12
* Actual release (tentative): May 30
* Strings count: 12 new short strings

Strings should be available very soon on Pontoon [1] and Pootle [2].

*Testing *

Automated screenshots for testing v8 features will be made available as
usual here: https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/

If you have an iOS device, I can also add you to test builds so you can
test your work on an actual device. Please PM me for that.

*Sign-offs: changes*

From now on, for mobile projects (all except Firefox for Android), we will
be shipping all locales that:
- are at 100% complete translation with no remaining errors on the web
dashboard,
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~flod/webstatus/?product=firefox-ios

- have no visible l10n errors upon review of the locale's screenshots
(e.g., significant truncation, text overflow, encoding, etc.) besides what
may have already been reported to the iOS team to correct.

We've realized the past process (ie. communities explicitly signing-off
within a bug for each locale) does not scale. We've also missed the
opportunity to ship locales that were good and ready to go because
localizers did not sign-off on time on their bug. With time, we've noticed
it is safe to ship completed locales, as localizers are generally diligent
in checking that their work looks good on screenshots, and otherwise filing
bugs to fix issues.

*Finding issues *If you find any issues and file bugs, please CC :delphine
to them (there's
no tracking bug at the moment).

As always, if you have any questions or comments, please let us know.
--
Delphine

[1] https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/firefox-for-ios/
[2] https://mozilla.locamotion.org/projects/ios/

Re: Firefox iOS v8: l10n schedule and important update to sign-offs

Artem Polivanchuk
вівторок, 25 квітня 2017 р. 17:13:37 UTC+3 користувач delphine написав:

> Hey there localizers!
>
> Hope you had a fantastic weekend.
>
> Strings for Firefox for iOS v8 have just been exposed. Please read through
> as we are changing our sign-off process going forwards.
>
> * String freeze: April 21st (past)
> * Localization deadline: May 12
> * Actual release (tentative): May 30
> * Strings count: 12 new short strings
>
> Strings should be available very soon on Pontoon [1] and Pootle [2].
>
> *Testing *
>
> Automated screenshots for testing v8 features will be made available as
> usual here: https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/
>
> If you have an iOS device, I can also add you to test builds so you can
> test your work on an actual device. Please PM me for that.
>
> *Sign-offs: changes*
>
> >From now on, for mobile projects (all except Firefox for Android), we will
> be shipping all locales that:
> - are at 100% complete translation with no remaining errors on the web
> dashboard,
> https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~flod/webstatus/?product=firefox-ios
>
> - have no visible l10n errors upon review of the locale's screenshots
> (e.g., significant truncation, text overflow, encoding, etc.) besides what
> may have already been reported to the iOS team to correct.
>
> We've realized the past process (ie. communities explicitly signing-off
> within a bug for each locale) does not scale. We've also missed the
> opportunity to ship locales that were good and ready to go because
> localizers did not sign-off on time on their bug. With time, we've noticed
> it is safe to ship completed locales, as localizers are generally diligent
> in checking that their work looks good on screenshots, and otherwise filing
> bugs to fix issues.
>

> *Finding issues *If you find any issues and file bugs, please CC :delphine
> to them (there's
> no tracking bug at the moment).
>
> As always, if you have any questions or comments, please let us know.
> --
> Delphine
>
> [1] https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/firefox-for-ios/
> [2] https://mozilla.locamotion.org/projects/ios/

Hi Delphine,

Is there any shared calendar with schedulled Firefox for iOS releases?
It would be great to see something similar to the current Firefox release schedule, or maybe even better to include Firefox for iOS into it...

Thanks,
Artem

Re: Firefox iOS v8: l10n schedule and important update to sign-offs

Delphine L
Hey Artem,

Yeah technically it should live here, but it's not been updated for a while :/
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox_for_iOS_Train_Schedule

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 10:28 PM, Artem Polivanchuk
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> вівторок, 25 квітня 2017 р. 17:13:37 UTC+3 користувач delphine написав:
>> Hey there localizers!
>>
>> Hope you had a fantastic weekend.
>>
>> Strings for Firefox for iOS v8 have just been exposed. Please read through
>> as we are changing our sign-off process going forwards.
>>
>> * String freeze: April 21st (past)
>> * Localization deadline: May 12
>> * Actual release (tentative): May 30
>> * Strings count: 12 new short strings
>>
>> Strings should be available very soon on Pontoon [1] and Pootle [2].
>>
>> *Testing *
>>
>> Automated screenshots for testing v8 features will be made available as
>> usual here: https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/
>>
>> If you have an iOS device, I can also add you to test builds so you can
>> test your work on an actual device. Please PM me for that.
>>
>> *Sign-offs: changes*
>>
>> >From now on, for mobile projects (all except Firefox for Android), we will
>> be shipping all locales that:
>> - are at 100% complete translation with no remaining errors on the web
>> dashboard,
>> https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~flod/webstatus/?product=firefox-ios
>>
>> - have no visible l10n errors upon review of the locale's screenshots
>> (e.g., significant truncation, text overflow, encoding, etc.) besides what
>> may have already been reported to the iOS team to correct.
>>
>> We've realized the past process (ie. communities explicitly signing-off
>> within a bug for each locale) does not scale. We've also missed the
>> opportunity to ship locales that were good and ready to go because
>> localizers did not sign-off on time on their bug. With time, we've noticed
>> it is safe to ship completed locales, as localizers are generally diligent
>> in checking that their work looks good on screenshots, and otherwise filing
>> bugs to fix issues.
>>

>> *Finding issues *If you find any issues and file bugs, please CC :delphine
>> to them (there's
>> no tracking bug at the moment).
>>
>> As always, if you have any questions or comments, please let us know.
>> --
>> Delphine
>>
>> [1] https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/firefox-for-ios/
>> [2] https://mozilla.locamotion.org/projects/ios/
>
> Hi Delphine,
>
> Is there any shared calendar with schedulled Firefox for iOS releases?
> It would be great to see something similar to the current Firefox release schedule, or maybe even better to include Firefox for iOS into it...
>
> Thanks,
> Artem

Delphine

Re: Firefox iOS v8: l10n schedule and important update to sign-offs

Delphine L
Hello everyone,

Quick update: to allow more time for testing, the deadline is now May 24 :)
No new strings, just more time.

I've updated the deadline in our localization tools!

thanks all!

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Delphine L <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hey there localizers!
>
> Hope you had a fantastic weekend.
>
> Strings for Firefox for iOS v8 have just been exposed. Please read through
> as we are changing our sign-off process going forwards.
>
> * String freeze: April 21st (past)
> * Localization deadline: May 12
> * Actual release (tentative): May 30
> * Strings count: 12 new short strings
>
> Strings should be available very soon on Pontoon [1] and Pootle [2].
>
> *Testing *
>
> Automated screenshots for testing v8 features will be made available as
> usual here: https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/
>
> If you have an iOS device, I can also add you to test builds so you can
> test your work on an actual device. Please PM me for that.
>
> *Sign-offs: changes*
>
> From now on, for mobile projects (all except Firefox for Android), we will
> be shipping all locales that:
> - are at 100% complete translation with no remaining errors on the web
> dashboard,
> https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~flod/webstatus/?product=firefox-ios
>
> - have no visible l10n errors upon review of the locale's screenshots
> (e.g., significant truncation, text overflow, encoding, etc.) besides what
> may have already been reported to the iOS team to correct.
>
> We've realized the past process (ie. communities explicitly signing-off
> within a bug for each locale) does not scale. We've also missed the
> opportunity to ship locales that were good and ready to go because
> localizers did not sign-off on time on their bug. With time, we've noticed
> it is safe to ship completed locales, as localizers are generally diligent
> in checking that their work looks good on screenshots, and otherwise filing
> bugs to fix issues.
>

> *Finding issues *If you find any issues and file bugs, please CC
> :delphine to them (there's
> no tracking bug at the moment).
>
> As always, if you have any questions or comments, please let us know.
> --
> Delphine
>
> [1] https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/firefox-for-ios/
> [2] https://mozilla.locamotion.org/projects/ios/

--
Delphine

Re: Firefox iOS v8: l10n schedule and important update to sign-offs

அருண் குமார் (Arun Kumar)
Hi Delphine,

This project is not visible for Tamil(ta) in Pootle.

Could you please enable it?

9 மே, 2017 6:20 PM அன்று, "Delphine L" <[hidden email]>
எழுதியது:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Quick update: to allow more time for testing, the deadline is now May 24 :)
> No new strings, just more time.
>
> I've updated the deadline in our localization tools!
>
> thanks all!
>
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Delphine L <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hey there localizers!
> >
> > Hope you had a fantastic weekend.
> >
> > Strings for Firefox for iOS v8 have just been exposed. Please read
> through
> > as we are changing our sign-off process going forwards.
> >
> > * String freeze: April 21st (past)
> > * Localization deadline: May 12
> > * Actual release (tentative): May 30
> > * Strings count: 12 new short strings
> >
> > Strings should be available very soon on Pontoon [1] and Pootle [2].
> >
> > *Testing *
> >
> > Automated screenshots for testing v8 features will be made available as
> > usual here: https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/
> >
> > If you have an iOS device, I can also add you to test builds so you can
> > test your work on an actual device. Please PM me for that.
> >
> > *Sign-offs: changes*
> >
> > From now on, for mobile projects (all except Firefox for Android), we
> will
> > be shipping all locales that:
> > - are at 100% complete translation with no remaining errors on the web
> > dashboard,
> > https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~flod/webstatus/?product=firefox-ios
> >
> > - have no visible l10n errors upon review of the locale's screenshots
> > (e.g., significant truncation, text overflow, encoding, etc.) besides
> what
> > may have already been reported to the iOS team to correct.
> >
> > We've realized the past process (ie. communities explicitly signing-off
> > within a bug for each locale) does not scale. We've also missed the
> > opportunity to ship locales that were good and ready to go because
> > localizers did not sign-off on time on their bug. With time, we've
> noticed
> > it is safe to ship completed locales, as localizers are generally
> diligent
> > in checking that their work looks good on screenshots, and otherwise
> filing
> > bugs to fix issues.
> >

> > *Finding issues *If you find any issues and file bugs, please CC
> > :delphine to them (there's
> > no tracking bug at the moment).
> >
> > As always, if you have any questions or comments, please let us know.
> > --
> > Delphine
> >
> > [1] https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/firefox-for-ios/
> > [2] https://mozilla.locamotion.org/projects/ios/
> >

> --
> Delphine

Re: Firefox iOS v8: l10n schedule and important update to sign-offs

Delphine L
Hi Arun!

Thanks for your interest. I checked and Tamil is supported by iOS so I can
help with enabling that. Will reach out to you once it's done.

I would like to suggest though to prioritize mozilla.org, as it is the main
project that we have identified that teams should focus on first. It's from
there that people can actually find your localized projects so it makes
sense to have that page localized first :)

Thanks!
delphine

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 12:27 PM, அருண் குமார் (Arun Kumar) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> what
>> > may have already been reported to the iOS team to correct.
>> >
>> > We've realized the past process (ie. communities explicitly signing-off
>> > within a bug for each locale) does not scale. We've also missed the
>> > opportunity to ship locales that were good and ready to go because
>> > localizers did not sign-off on time on their bug. With time, we've
>> noticed
>> > it is safe to ship completed locales, as localizers are generally
>> diligent
>> > in checking that their work looks good on screenshots, and otherwise
>> filing
>> > bugs to fix issues.
>> >

>> > *Finding issues *If you find any issues and file bugs, please CC
>> > :delphine to them (there's
>> > no tracking bug at the moment).
>> >
>> > As always, if you have any questions or comments, please let us know.

Delphine

Re: Firefox iOS v8: l10n schedule and important update to sign-offs

Delphine L
Hey localizers,

L10n deadline for this is moving back! More engineering work on the
way to make this v8 release a beautiful one...

I am currently discussing what this means in terms of new l10n
schedule. What I can say is the cut-off date for us is not tomorrow
anymore. I'll follow-up with more details as soon as I get them.
Please be assured that whatever changes will occur will of course take
l10n turnaround time into account.

Thanks for your hard work and patience :)
delphine