Firefox iOS 5.0 Screenshots June 27

Stefan Arentz-5

http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2016-06-27/ <http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2016-06-27/>
http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2016-06-27.tar <http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2016-06-27.tar>.gz

Only Persian (fa) failed this time. This is a known since RTL support is incomplete.

These screenshots do not yet include a fix for the menu labels. We do have a PR outstanding for that. When I am in the office I’ll kick off a new screenshot run so that we can see the results of that change.

 S.

Re: Firefox iOS 5.0 Screenshots June 27

Stefan Plewako
The latest directory seems to be no longer updated - is this intentional?

Re: Firefox iOS 5.0 Screenshots June 27

droidbittin
On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 3:08:36 PM UTC+2, Stefan Arentz wrote:
> http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2016-06-27/ <http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2016-06-27/>
> http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2016-06-27.tar <http://people.mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2016-06-27.tar>.gz
>
> Only Persian (fa) failed this time. This is a known since RTL support is incomplete.
>
> These screenshots do not yet include a fix for the menu labels. We do have a PR outstanding for that. When I am in the office I’ll kick off a new screenshot run so that we can see the results of that change.
>
>  S.

And Swedish is there now too, thanks :)

Re: Firefox iOS 5.0 Screenshots June 27

Stefan Plewako
> Wiadomość napisana przez Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> w dniu 28.06.2016, o godz. 15:08:
>
> Only Persian (fa) failed this time. This is a known since RTL support is incomplete.
>
> These screenshots do not yet include a fix for the menu labels. We do have a PR outstanding for that. When I am in the office I’ll kick off a new screenshot run so that we can see the results of that change.

The latest directory seems to be no longer updated - is this intentional?
(sorry for the noise if my message was delivered earlier)

Re: Firefox iOS 5.0 Screenshots June 27

Yaron Shahrabani
I couldn't help but noticing this picture:
https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2017-11-07/ar/ar/iPhoneSE-17PasswordSnackbar-02.png

Besides overlapping with the key icon the text is completely messed up.

Yaron Shahrabani

<DevOps - Hebrew translator>

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Stefan Plewako <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Wiadomość napisana przez Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> w dniu
> 28.06.2016, o godz. 15:08:
> >
> > Only Persian (fa) failed this time. This is a known since RTL support is
> incomplete.
> >
> > These screenshots do not yet include a fix for the menu labels. We do
> have a PR outstanding for that. When I am in the office I’ll kick off a new
> screenshot run so that we can see the results of that change.
>
> The latest directory seems to be no longer updated - is this intentional?
> (sorry for the noise if my message was delivered earlier)

Re: Firefox iOS 5.0 Screenshots June 27

Khaled Hosny-2
The text seems fine for me, it looks odd because the English part is the
larger than the Arabic (in the line break happens inside the LTR part),
but both the alignment and the order of the words is correct.

Regards,
Khaled

On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 01:10:59PM +0200, Yaron Shahrabani wrote:

> I couldn't help but noticing this picture:
> https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2017-11-07/ar/ar/iPhoneSE-17PasswordSnackbar-02.png
>
> Besides overlapping with the key icon the text is completely messed up.
>
> Yaron Shahrabani
>
> <DevOps - Hebrew translator>
>

> On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Stefan Plewako <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > Wiadomość napisana przez Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> w dniu
> > 28.06.2016, o godz. 15:08:
> > >
> > > Only Persian (fa) failed this time. This is a known since RTL support is
> > incomplete.
> > >
> > > These screenshots do not yet include a fix for the menu labels. We do
> > have a PR outstanding for that. When I am in the office I’ll kick off a new
> > screenshot run so that we can see the results of that change.
> >
> > The latest directory seems to be no longer updated - is this intentional?
> > (sorry for the noise if my message was delivered earlier)

Re: Firefox iOS 5.0 Screenshots June 27

Yaron Shahrabani
Oh great, sorry.
So it should be aligned to the right and it will be OK?

Yaron Shahrabani

<DevOps - Hebrew translator>

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Khaled Hosny <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The text seems fine for me, it looks odd because the English part is the
> larger than the Arabic (in the line break happens inside the LTR part),
> but both the alignment and the order of the words is correct.
>
> Regards,
> Khaled
>
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 01:10:59PM +0200, Yaron Shahrabani wrote:
> > I couldn't help but noticing this picture:
> > https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/
> 2017-11-07/ar/ar/iPhoneSE-17PasswordSnackbar-02.png
> >
> > Besides overlapping with the key icon the text is completely messed up.
> >
> > Yaron Shahrabani
> >
> > <DevOps - Hebrew translator>

> > > 28.06.2016, o godz. 15:08:

> support is
> > > incomplete.

> > > have a PR outstanding for that. When I am in the office I’ll kick off
> a new
> > > screenshot run so that we can see the results of that change.
> > >
> > > The latest directory seems to be no longer updated - is this
> intentional?
> > > (sorry for the noise if my message was delivered earlier)

Re: Firefox iOS 5.0 Screenshots June 27

Khaled Hosny-2
I think it is already right-aligned, the empty space is reserved for the
icon that is currently misplaced on the left.

Regards,
Khaled

On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 04:17:02PM +0200, Yaron Shahrabani wrote:

> Oh great, sorry.
> So it should be aligned to the right and it will be OK?
>
> Yaron Shahrabani
>
> <DevOps - Hebrew translator>
>

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Khaled Hosny <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The text seems fine for me, it looks odd because the English part is the
> > larger than the Arabic (in the line break happens inside the LTR part),
> > but both the alignment and the order of the words is correct.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Khaled
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 01:10:59PM +0200, Yaron Shahrabani wrote:
> > > I couldn't help but noticing this picture:
> > > https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/
> > 2017-11-07/ar/ar/iPhoneSE-17PasswordSnackbar-02.png
> > >
> > > Besides overlapping with the key icon the text is completely messed up.
> > >
> > > Yaron Shahrabani
> > >
> > > <DevOps - Hebrew translator>

> > support is

> > a new

> > intentional?

Re: Firefox iOS 5.0 Screenshots June 27

Stefan Arentz-5
Hi Tin,

Unfortunately iOS (10.1) does not support Burmese as one of the languages
you can use for your device.

However, we can include a Burmese localization in the app, but it will only
be used in the localizable part of Firefox. Things like a dialog to ask
permission for location access will still show up in the actual device's
language.

Can you point me to an example of the square boxes? I am not sure what that
means.

 S.

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Tin Aung Lin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> For Burmese, I am still seeing the square boxes.
> Obvious since new iOS already supported our lang but this is with iPone4s ?
>
> Thanks
>
> On Jun 28, 2016, at 7:38 PM, Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Only Persian (fa) failed this time. This is a known since RTL support is
> incomplete.

Re: Firefox iOS 5.0 Screenshots June 27

Tin Aung Lin
Square boxes as in this screenshot.
https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2016-06-27/my/my/iPhone4s-06PanelsEmptyState-04.png

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 11:51 PM Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tin,
>
> Unfortunately iOS (10.1) does not support Burmese as one of the languages
> you can use for your device.
>
> However, we can include a Burmese localization in the app, but it will
> only be used in the localizable part of Firefox. Things like a dialog to
> ask permission for location access will still show up in the actual
> device's language.
>
> Can you point me to an example of the square boxes? I am not sure what
> that means.
>
>  S.
>

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Tin Aung Lin <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> For Burmese, I am still seeing the square boxes.
> Obvious since new iOS already supported our lang but this is with iPone4s ?
>
> Thanks
>
> On Jun 28, 2016, at 7:38 PM, Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Only Persian (fa) failed this time. This is a known since RTL support is
> incomplete.
>

> --
Tin Aung Lin
Cloud Expert

Re: Firefox iOS 5.0 Screenshots June 27

Stefan Arentz-5
Hi Everyone,

There is a lot of work to do for good RTL support.

See this bug for the current status
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=1160759&hide_resolved=0

Please file new bugs and attach them to bug 1160759 - If you can, attach a
screenshot with clear directions on how to properly fix things.

Some of these are relatively easy to fix. If anyone would like to do a
little bit of Swift / iOS development, please let us know. We could really
use patches to improve RTL support.

 S.

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 9:29 AM, Khaled Hosny <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think it is already right-aligned, the empty space is reserved for the
> icon that is currently misplaced on the left.
>
> Regards,
> Khaled
>
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 04:17:02PM +0200, Yaron Shahrabani wrote:
> > Oh great, sorry.
> > So it should be aligned to the right and it will be OK?
> >
> > Yaron Shahrabani
> >
> > <DevOps - Hebrew translator>
> >

> > On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Khaled Hosny <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > The text seems fine for me, it looks odd because the English part is
> the
> > > larger than the Arabic (in the line break happens inside the LTR part),
> > > but both the alignment and the order of the words is correct.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Khaled

> > > 2017-11-07/ar/ar/iPhoneSE-17PasswordSnackbar-02.png

> up.

> dniu

> > > support is

> We do
> off
> > > a new

> > > intentional?

Re: Firefox iOS 5.0 Screenshots June 27

Stefan Arentz-5
Could that be an encoding issue of those specific strings? Because I don't
see that happen in other places?

For example this looks pretty great:

https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2017-11-07/my/my/iPhoneSE-05PrivateBrowsingTabsEmptyState-01.png

There is no reason the other would not work. Same kind of labels, same
string sources. We don't do anything special in the code.

 S.

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Tin Aung Lin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Square boxes as in this screenshot.
> https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/
> 2016-06-27/my/my/iPhone4s-06PanelsEmptyState-04.png
>
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 11:51 PM Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Tin,
>>
>> Unfortunately iOS (10.1) does not support Burmese as one of the languages
>> you can use for your device.
>>
>> However, we can include a Burmese localization in the app, but it will
>> only be used in the localizable part of Firefox. Things like a dialog to
>> ask permission for location access will still show up in the actual
>> device's language.
>>
>> Can you point me to an example of the square boxes? I am not sure what
>> that means.
>>
>>  S.
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Tin Aung Lin <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> For Burmese, I am still seeing the square boxes.
>> Obvious since new iOS already supported our lang but this is with iPone4s
>> ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Jun 28, 2016, at 7:38 PM, Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Only Persian (fa) failed this time. This is a known since RTL support is
>> incomplete.
>>

>> --
> Tin Aung Lin
> Cloud Expert

Re: Firefox iOS 5.0 Screenshots June 27

Tin Aung Lin
Oh my my. All the screenshots under that folder look amazing.
https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2017-11-07/my/my/
So this would be the release version ?

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 11:58 PM Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could that be an encoding issue of those specific strings? Because I don't
> see that happen in other places?
>
> For example this looks pretty great:
>

> https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2017-11-07/my/my/iPhoneSE-05PrivateBrowsingTabsEmptyState-01.png
>
> There is no reason the other would not work. Same kind of labels, same
> string sources. We don't do anything special in the code.
>
>  S.
>
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Tin Aung Lin <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> Square boxes as in this screenshot.
>
> https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2016-06-27/my/my/iPhone4s-06PanelsEmptyState-04.png
>
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 11:51 PM Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Tin,
>
> Unfortunately iOS (10.1) does not support Burmese as one of the languages
> you can use for your device.
>
> However, we can include a Burmese localization in the app, but it will
> only be used in the localizable part of Firefox. Things like a dialog to
> ask permission for location access will still show up in the actual
> device's language.
>
> Can you point me to an example of the square boxes? I am not sure what
> that means.
>
>  S.
>

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Tin Aung Lin <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> For Burmese, I am still seeing the square boxes.
> Obvious since new iOS already supported our lang but this is with iPone4s ?
>
> Thanks
>
> On Jun 28, 2016, at 7:38 PM, Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Only Persian (fa) failed this time. This is a known since RTL support is
> incomplete.
>

> --
> Tin Aung Lin
> Cloud Expert
>

> --
Tin Aung Lin
Cloud Expert

Re: Firefox iOS 5.0 Screenshots June 27

Stefan Arentz-5
Oh now I see ... you posted a link to a screenshot from June this year.

Yes! This will be our shipping version. I think the reason it looks better
than in June is that Apple is better supporting Burmese. The previous
screenshots were done on iOS 9 and these new ones are on iOS 10.1. Maybe
they included better fonts?

 S.

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Tin Aung Lin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Oh my my. All the screenshots under that folder look amazing.
> https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/2017-11-07/my/my/
> So this would be the release version ?
>
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 11:58 PM Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Could that be an encoding issue of those specific strings? Because I
>> don't see that happen in other places?
>>
>> For example this looks pretty great:
>>
>> https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/
>> 2017-11-07/my/my/iPhoneSE-05PrivateBrowsingTabsEmptyState-01.png
>>
>> There is no reason the other would not work. Same kind of labels, same
>> string sources. We don't do anything special in the code.
>>
>>  S.
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Tin Aung Lin <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Square boxes as in this screenshot.
>> https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/fxios/screenshots/
>> 2016-06-27/my/my/iPhone4s-06PanelsEmptyState-04.png
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 11:51 PM Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tin,
>>
>> Unfortunately iOS (10.1) does not support Burmese as one of the languages
>> you can use for your device.
>>
>> However, we can include a Burmese localization in the app, but it will
>> only be used in the localizable part of Firefox. Things like a dialog to
>> ask permission for location access will still show up in the actual
>> device's language.
>>
>> Can you point me to an example of the square boxes? I am not sure what
>> that means.
>>
>>  S.
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Tin Aung Lin <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> For Burmese, I am still seeing the square boxes.
>> Obvious since new iOS already supported our lang but this is with iPone4s
>> ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Jun 28, 2016, at 7:38 PM, Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Only Persian (fa) failed this time. This is a known since RTL support is
>> incomplete.
>>

>> --
>> Tin Aung Lin
>> Cloud Expert
>>

>> --
> Tin Aung Lin
> Cloud Expert

Re: Firefox iOS 5.0 Screenshots June 27

Tin Aung Lin
They integrated the whole language in iOS 10. So I gave your team noti and
we worked on this release to include my lang.
Thanks for everything.

Tin Aung Lin
Mozilla Myanmar

Tin Aung Lin