Firefox for Android

Re: Firefox for Android

goodwin-8
On 08/01/2013 11:56 AM, jetjock wrote:

> I couldn't find a smily for "facetious"

fixed the spellchek :)

Re: Firefox for Android

jetjock
goodwin wrote:

> On 08/01/2013 11:56 AM, jetjock wrote:
>
>> I couldn't find a smily for "facetious"
>

> fixed the spellchek :)

Did you mean "spellcheck"?  ;-)

Not sure I follow what you are saying. If you are saying I mis-spelled
"facetious", please see:
Use *facetious* in a sentence | *facetious* sentence examples
<http://sentence.yourdictionary.com/facetious>
How to use *facetious* in a sentence. Example sentences with the word
*facetious*. *facetious* example sentences.
sentence.yourdictionary.com/facetious

It's not impossible that I made a mistake. I actually was wrong once. I
thought I had made an error, but it turned out I was actually right!!  :-D

PLEASE NOTE SMILEY!

Re: Firefox for Android

goodwin-8
On 08/02/2013 08:54 AM, jetjock wrote:

> goodwin wrote:
>
>> On 08/01/2013 11:56 AM, jetjock wrote:
>>
>>> I couldn't find a smily for "facetious"
>>

>> fixed the spellchek :)
>
> Did you mean "spellcheck"?  ;-)

no, I meant spelchek...

> Not sure I follow what you are saying. If you are saying I mis-spelled
> "facetious", please see: Use *facetious* in a sentence | *facetious*
> sentence examples <http://sentence.yourdictionary.com/facetious>
> How to use *facetious* in a sentence. Example sentences with the word
> *facetious*. *facetious* example sentences.
> sentence.yourdictionary.com/facetious
>
> It's not impossible that I made a mistake. I actually was wrong once. I
> thought I had made an error, but it turned out I was actually right!!  :-D
>
> PLEASE NOTE SMILEY!

your original post:

"I couldn't find a smily for "facetous"...

I couldn't think of any other word you meant...

Re: Firefox for Android

jetjock
Jim S wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Aug 2013 14:03:49 -0500, jetjock wrote:
>

>>Jim S wrote:

>>>Mainly that I couldn't get it to work. :-(
>>>I don't particularly want it to sync with my pc, but I do need it to import
>>>my bookmarks where I can find them in an instant.
>>>I'm fairly savvy with things computery, but it defeated me.
>>>

>>Me too. I installed it and synched it with my desktop, but that's as far
>>as I got. I could not figure out how to access any bookmarks, use tabs
>>or go to a Website. Once I intalled Adblock Plus, that was the only page
>>I could find. So far, I'm having better luck with Chrome, but I haven't
>>given up yet. Will try using an older version once I figure out how to
>>un-install apps from the phone. Learning a little more each day!  :-)
>>

>Chrome's OK on my tablet, but I don't really see the advantage over the
>Stock Browser. I'm on Galaxy Tab 2 (Jellybean) so some things that work on
>other androids don't work on mine.

Jim,

   Just to close out this thread...I un-installed the latest &
_greatest?_ version of FF Mobile and used version 18 from
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/ (thanks Ralph
Fox). This was the last version I have used that didn't change my fonts
whenever it felt like it. It installed and synched perfectly and I am
able to get it to work just fine. Have all my Bookmarks from my desktop
also. The only problem I have found is, it is excruciatingly slow! I
loaded a link last night that took 18 seconds to load; Chrome took about
2 1/2 seconds for same link. So, I guess I'll use Chrome for most things
and FF when I need my Bookmarks. At least until I figure out how to
import my Bookmarks into Chrome.  ;-)

  And, just in case Ron is reading this, no, I do not regret switching
to the Galaxy III. As I said, FF was only one of the reasons I switched
from an iPhone; and a minor one at that!  :-)

Re: Firefox for Android

jetjock
goodwin wrote:

> On 08/02/2013 08:54 AM, jetjock wrote:
>
>> goodwin wrote:

>>> fixed the spellchek :)
>>

>> Did you mean "spellcheck"?  ;-)
>>

> no, I meant spelchek...
>
>> Not sure I follow what you are saying. If you are saying I mis-spelled
>> "facetious", please see: Use *facetious* in a sentence | *facetious*
>> sentence examples <http://sentence.yourdictionary.com/facetious>
>> How to use *facetious* in a sentence. Example sentences with the word
>> *facetious*. *facetious* example sentences.
>> sentence.yourdictionary.com/facetious
>>
>> It's not impossible that I made a mistake. I actually was wrong once. I
>> thought I had made an error, but it turned out I was actually
>> right!!  :-D
>>
>> PLEASE NOTE SMILEY!
>

> your original post:
>
> "I couldn't find a smily for "facetous"...
>
> I couldn't think of any other word you meant...

Darned if you aren't right! I assumed you had quoted me in your original
post, but you had corrected (thus "fixed the spellchek") my spelling. I
went back and looked and sure enough, "faceous" was there. Damn, now
I'll have to add another mistake to my previously /perfect/ record!  :-D

Re: Firefox for Android

Ron Hunter
On 8/3/2013 10:50 AM, jetjock wrote:

> Jim S wrote:

>>> Me too. I installed it and synched it with my desktop, but that's as
>>> far as I got. I could not figure out how to access any bookmarks, use
>>> tabs or go to a Website. Once I intalled Adblock Plus, that was the
>>> only page I could find. So far, I'm having better luck with Chrome,
>>> but I haven't given up yet. Will try using an older version once I
>>> figure out how to un-install apps from the phone. Learning a little
>>> more each day!  :-)
>>>

>> Chrome's OK on my tablet, but I don't really see the advantage over the
>> Stock Browser. I'm on Galaxy Tab 2 (Jellybean) so some things that
>> work on
>> other androids don't work on mine.
>>

> Jim,
>
>    Just to close out this thread...I un-installed the latest &
> _greatest?_ version of FF Mobile and used version 18 from
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/ (thanks Ralph
> Fox). This was the last version I have used that didn't change my fonts
> whenever it felt like it. It installed and synched perfectly and I am
> able to get it to work just fine. Have all my Bookmarks from my desktop
> also. The only problem I have found is, it is excruciatingly slow! I
> loaded a link last night that took 18 seconds to load; Chrome took about
> 2 1/2 seconds for same link. So, I guess I'll use Chrome for most things
> and FF when I need my Bookmarks. At least until I figure out how to
> import my Bookmarks into Chrome.  ;-)
>
>   And, just in case Ron is reading this, no, I do not regret switching
> to the Galaxy III. As I said, FF was only one of the reasons I switched
> from an iPhone; and a minor one at that!  :-)

Your initial message made it seem that was the sole reason, and that you
didn't look before you leaped.  Firefox for Android is a work in
progress, and likely will be for a while.  I am sure it works well on
some Android devices, or it wouldn't get favorable reviews.  I couldn't
use the SIII or S4 simply because I can't comfortably hold one of them
in my smaller than average hands.  For some people, a feature that is
totally immaterial to one person is a major concern for others.  Since I
went from a Motorola Razr feature phone to an HTC 3.2 inch screen, to an
iPhone 4S, at 3.5 inches, the iPhone 5 4 inch screen looks pretty good
to me, and the phone fits my hand nicely.  But the major reason I chose
the iPhone is the regular updates to the OS, each bringing new features,
and always available the day of release.  How many upgrades do you
expect you will see for the S III?

Re: OT Firefox for Android

jetjock
Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 8/3/2013 10:50 AM, jetjock wrote:
>
>> Jim S wrote:

>>> Chrome's OK on my tablet, but I don't really see the advantage over the
>>> Stock Browser. I'm on Galaxy Tab 2 (Jellybean) so some things that
>>> work on
>>> other androids don't work on mine.
>>>

>> Jim,
>>
>>    Just to close out this thread...I un-installed the latest &
>> _greatest?_ version of FF Mobile and used version 18 from
>> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/ (thanks Ralph
>> Fox). This was the last version I have used that didn't change my fonts
>> whenever it felt like it. It installed and synched perfectly and I am
>> able to get it to work just fine. Have all my Bookmarks from my desktop
>> also. The only problem I have found is, it is excruciatingly slow! I
>> loaded a link last night that took 18 seconds to load; Chrome took about
>> 2 1/2 seconds for same link. So, I guess I'll use Chrome for most things
>> and FF when I need my Bookmarks. At least until I figure out how to
>> import my Bookmarks into Chrome.  ;-)
>>
>>   And, just in case Ron is reading this, no, I do not regret switching
>> to the Galaxy III. As I said, FF was only one of the reasons I switched
>> from an iPhone; and a minor one at that!  :-)
>

> Your initial message made it seem that was the sole reason, and that
> you didn't look before you leaped.  Firefox for Android is a work in
> progress, and likely will be for a while.  I am sure it works well on
> some Android devices, or it wouldn't get favorable reviews.  I
> couldn't use the SIII or S4 simply because I can't comfortably hold
> one of them in my smaller than average hands.  For some people, a
> feature that is totally immaterial to one person is a major concern
> for others.  Since I went from a Motorola Razr feature phone to an HTC
> 3.2 inch screen, to an iPhone 4S, at 3.5 inches, the iPhone 5 4 inch
> screen looks pretty good to me, and the phone fits my hand nicely.
> But the major reason I chose the iPhone is the regular updates to the
> OS, each bringing new features, and always available the day of
> release.  How many upgrades do you expect you will see for the S III?

You have a valid point about upgrades. That was one of the weak points
pointed out by the numerous reviews of cell phones that I read before
making my decision. That said, I have only had the phone for less than a
week now and have already received my first OS upgrade to 4.1.2.

As I said in my initial reply to you, FF Mobile was only ONE of the
reasons for switching to Android. The primary reason was to get away
from iTunes. I was very tired of fighting with that piece of *#@&
software every time I wanted to do something on my phone. Now, all I
have to do is plug my phone into my computer, drag a picture or ringtone
into a folder on the phone, and presto changeo I have new wallpaper or a
new ringtone. Still learning about the phone everyday, but am very
pleased with it so far.

You sound as though you have much more experience with different phones
that I have. This is only my second. I really didn't have any problems
with my old iPhone 3gs until about two or three OS upgrades ago. Both my
wife's and my phone started to have exactly the same problem at the same
time, so I can only attribute it to a change in the OS. I kept
installing each new update as it came out hoping to fix the problem, but
to no avail. As I (and a miriad of others) have said over and over,
newer is NOT always better. If something is working with no problems
(phone, drivers, FF, etc.) why update them just for the sake of having
"the latest"? Unless I can see some real, substantial reason for
upgrading, I will not do it. I broke this rule with our iPhones, and it
cost me by making our phones extremely frustrating to use.

I hope you get many years of enjoyment from your iPhone 5. It meets or
exceeds the S III in most every area. Thanks for your posts and for
keeping our discourse civil.  :-)

Re: OT Firefox for Android

Ron Hunter
On 8/4/2013 11:43 AM, jetjock wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Jim,
>>>
>>>    Just to close out this thread...I un-installed the latest &
>>> _greatest?_ version of FF Mobile and used version 18 from
>>> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/ (thanks Ralph
>>> Fox). This was the last version I have used that didn't change my fonts
>>> whenever it felt like it. It installed and synched perfectly and I am
>>> able to get it to work just fine. Have all my Bookmarks from my desktop
>>> also. The only problem I have found is, it is excruciatingly slow! I
>>> loaded a link last night that took 18 seconds to load; Chrome took about
>>> 2 1/2 seconds for same link. So, I guess I'll use Chrome for most things
>>> and FF when I need my Bookmarks. At least until I figure out how to
>>> import my Bookmarks into Chrome.  ;-)
>>>
>>>   And, just in case Ron is reading this, no, I do not regret switching
>>> to the Galaxy III. As I said, FF was only one of the reasons I switched
>>> from an iPhone; and a minor one at that!  :-)
>>

>> Your initial message made it seem that was the sole reason, and that
>> you didn't look before you leaped.  Firefox for Android is a work in
>> progress, and likely will be for a while.  I am sure it works well on
>> some Android devices, or it wouldn't get favorable reviews.  I
>> couldn't use the SIII or S4 simply because I can't comfortably hold
>> one of them in my smaller than average hands.  For some people, a
>> feature that is totally immaterial to one person is a major concern
>> for others.  Since I went from a Motorola Razr feature phone to an HTC
>> 3.2 inch screen, to an iPhone 4S, at 3.5 inches, the iPhone 5 4 inch
>> screen looks pretty good to me, and the phone fits my hand nicely. But
>> the major reason I chose the iPhone is the regular updates to the OS,
>> each bringing new features, and always available the day of release.
>> How many upgrades do you expect you will see for the S III?
>

> You have a valid point about upgrades. That was one of the weak points
> pointed out by the numerous reviews of cell phones that I read before
> making my decision. That said, I have only had the phone for less than a
> week now and have already received my first OS upgrade to 4.1.2.

Which is part of the problem as Android is at 4.2.2, isn't it?

> As I said in my initial reply to you, FF Mobile was only ONE of the
> reasons for switching to Android. The primary reason was to get away
> from iTunes. I was very tired of fighting with that piece of *#@&
> software every time I wanted to do something on my phone. Now, all I
> have to do is plug my phone into my computer, drag a picture or ringtone
> into a folder on the phone, and presto changeo I have new wallpaper or a
> new ringtone. Still learning about the phone everyday, but am very
> pleased with it so far.

iTunes is a piece of crap, no doubt about it.  But then I don't use it
except for OS updates, and backups.
I don't buy into the iPhone as a music device, or podcasts (whatever
they are), of buy that kind of content.  I do buy apps from the app
store, but only through the phone itself.  So it really isn't as bad as
it used to be.

> You sound as though you have much more experience with different phones
> that I have. This is only my second. I really didn't have any problems
> with my old iPhone 3gs until about two or three OS upgrades ago. Both my
> wife's and my phone started to have exactly the same problem at the same
> time, so I can only attribute it to a change in the OS. I kept
> installing each new update as it came out hoping to fix the problem, but
> to no avail. As I (and a miriad of others) have said over and over,
> newer is NOT always better. If something is working with no problems
> (phone, drivers, FF, etc.) why update them just for the sake of having
> "the latest"? Unless I can see some real, substantial reason for
> upgrading, I will not do it. I broke this rule with our iPhones, and it
> cost me by making our phones extremely frustrating to use.
>
> I hope you get many years of enjoyment from your iPhone 5. It meets or
> exceeds the S III in most every area. Thanks for your posts and for
> keeping our discourse civil.  :-)

Just curious what your problem with the 3GS was.  My wife got a 3GS, and
only moved from it when I got the iPhone 5.  No problem with upgrades up
to that point (Dec 2012).
The 3GS is pretty old technology by today's standards, but things move
fast in the smartphone field.  It's upgrade, or be stuck, I guess.

Re: OT Firefox for Android

jetjock
Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 8/4/2013 11:43 AM, jetjock wrote:
>
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Your initial message made it seem that was the sole reason, and that
>>> you didn't look before you leaped.  Firefox for Android is a work in
>>> progress, and likely will be for a while.  I am sure it works well on
>>> some Android devices, or it wouldn't get favorable reviews.  I
>>> couldn't use the SIII or S4 simply because I can't comfortably hold
>>> one of them in my smaller than average hands.  For some people, a
>>> feature that is totally immaterial to one person is a major concern
>>> for others.  Since I went from a Motorola Razr feature phone to an HTC
>>> 3.2 inch screen, to an iPhone 4S, at 3.5 inches, the iPhone 5 4 inch
>>> screen looks pretty good to me, and the phone fits my hand nicely. But
>>> the major reason I chose the iPhone is the regular updates to the OS,
>>> each bringing new features, and always available the day of release.
>>> How many upgrades do you expect you will see for the S III?
>>

>> You have a valid point about upgrades. That was one of the weak points
>> pointed out by the numerous reviews of cell phones that I read before
>> making my decision. That said, I have only had the phone for less than a
>> week now and have already received my first OS upgrade to 4.1.2.
>>
> Which is part of the problem as Android is at 4.2.2, isn't it?

Not for the Galaxy S III. From what I've been able to find on the Net,
every phone seems to be on a different version. For someone like you who
seems to enjoy having the absolute latest version of things, I can see
this would be a problem. For me...not so much.  ;-)

>> As I said in my initial reply to you, FF Mobile was only ONE of the
>> reasons for switching to Android. The primary reason was to get away
>> from iTunes. I was very tired of fighting with that piece of *#@&
>> software every time I wanted to do something on my phone. Now, all I
>> have to do is plug my phone into my computer, drag a picture or ringtone
>> into a folder on the phone, and presto changeo I have new wallpaper or a
>> new ringtone. Still learning about the phone everyday, but am very
>> pleased with it so far.
>>

> iTunes is a piece of crap, no doubt about it.  But then I don't use it
> except for OS updates, and backups.
> I don't buy into the iPhone as a music device, or podcasts (whatever
> they are), of buy that kind of content.  I do buy apps from the app
> store, but only through the phone itself.  So it really isn't as bad
> as it used to be.
>
>> You sound as though you have much more experience with different phones
>> that I have. This is only my second. I really didn't have any problems
>> with my old iPhone 3gs until about two or three OS upgrades ago. Both my
>> wife's and my phone started to have exactly the same problem at the same
>> time, so I can only attribute it to a change in the OS. I kept
>> installing each new update as it came out hoping to fix the problem, but
>> to no avail. As I (and a miriad of others) have said over and over,
>> newer is NOT always better. If something is working with no problems
>> (phone, drivers, FF, etc.) why update them just for the sake of having
>> "the latest"? Unless I can see some real, substantial reason for
>> upgrading, I will not do it. I broke this rule with our iPhones, and it
>> cost me by making our phones extremely frustrating to use.
>>
>> I hope you get many years of enjoyment from your iPhone 5. It meets or
>> exceeds the S III in most every area. Thanks for your posts and for
>> keeping our discourse civil.  :-)
>

> Just curious what your problem with the 3GS was.  My wife got a 3GS,
> and only moved from it when I got the iPhone 5.  No problem with
> upgrades up to that point (Dec 2012).
> The 3GS is pretty old technology by today's standards, but things move
> fast in the smartphone field.  It's upgrade, or be stuck, I guess.

When we would turn the phone on (30 secs), we would have to wait another
30 secs. before we could "slide to open". The button was there, it just
would not move for 30 secs. Not a major problem, but frustrating if one
was in a hurry.

Our contracts were both up and we were eligible for an upgrade, so I got
the S III. Not the latest & greatest, but $100 cheaper than the S IV,
and it recently passed the iPhone  as the most popular phone (sales wise
anyway). Since I don't use my phone for all the fancy stuff the kids do
now, it does everything I need and much, much more!

Re: OT Firefox for Android

PhillipJones-2
jetjock wrote:

> [...]
>> and only moved from it when I got the iPhone 5.  No problem with
>> upgrades up to that point (Dec 2012).
>> The 3GS is pretty old technology by today's standards, but things move
>> fast in the smartphone field.  It's upgrade, or be stuck, I guess.
>
> When we would turn the phone on (30 secs), we would have to wait another
> 30 secs. before we could "slide to open". The button was there, it just
> would not move for 30 secs. Not a major problem, but frustrating if one
> was in a hurry.
>
> Our contracts were both up and we were eligible for an upgrade, so I got
> the S III. Not the latest & greatest, but $100 cheaper than the S IV,
> and it recently passed the iPhone  as the most popular phone (sales wise
> anyway). Since I don't use my phone for all the fancy stuff the kids do
> now, it does everything I need and much, much more!

On my iPhone 5 I don't turn it off I just click the button to blank the
screen even with it on 24 hrs a day  it last about 2-1/2 to 3 days.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:[hidden email]

Re: OT Firefox for Android

Ron Hunter
On 8/5/2013 11:45 AM, jetjock wrote:

> [...]
>> and only moved from it when I got the iPhone 5.  No problem with
>> upgrades up to that point (Dec 2012).
>> The 3GS is pretty old technology by today's standards, but things move
>> fast in the smartphone field.  It's upgrade, or be stuck, I guess.
>
> When we would turn the phone on (30 secs), we would have to wait another
> 30 secs. before we could "slide to open". The button was there, it just
> would not move for 30 secs. Not a major problem, but frustrating if one
> was in a hurry.
>
> Our contracts were both up and we were eligible for an upgrade, so I got
> the S III. Not the latest & greatest, but $100 cheaper than the S IV,
> and it recently passed the iPhone  as the most popular phone (sales wise
> anyway). Since I don't use my phone for all the fancy stuff the kids do
> now, it does everything I need and much, much more!

Which OS version was that?  Never saw it on my wife's phone.  But then
we leave our on all the time.  The 3GS always slow to boot, especially
compared to the iPhone 5.
I certainly can't fault the S 3 as it is a great phone, if a bit
oversized for me.  And going from a 3GS to the S 3 is a giant leap in
functionality, and speed.

Re: OT Firefox for Android

Ron Hunter
On 8/5/2013 12:28 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> jetjock wrote:
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Which is part of the problem as Android is at 4.2.2, isn't it?
>>
>> Not for the Galaxy S III. From what I've been able to find on the Net,
>> every phone seems to be on a different version. For someone like you who
>> seems to enjoy having the absolute latest version of things, I can see
>> this would be a problem. For me...not so much.  ;-)

>>> iTunes is a piece of crap, no doubt about it.  But then I don't use it
>>> except for OS updates, and backups.
>>> I don't buy into the iPhone as a music device, or podcasts (whatever
>>> they are), of buy that kind of content.  I do buy apps from the app
>>> store, but only through the phone itself.  So it really isn't as bad
>>> as it used to be.

>>> Just curious what your problem with the 3GS was.  My wife got a 3GS,
>>> and only moved from it when I got the iPhone 5.  No problem with
>>> upgrades up to that point (Dec 2012).
>>> The 3GS is pretty old technology by today's standards, but things move
>>> fast in the smartphone field.  It's upgrade, or be stuck, I guess.
>>
>> When we would turn the phone on (30 secs), we would have to wait another
>> 30 secs. before we could "slide to open". The button was there, it just
>> would not move for 30 secs. Not a major problem, but frustrating if one
>> was in a hurry.
>>
>> Our contracts were both up and we were eligible for an upgrade, so I got
>> the S III. Not the latest & greatest, but $100 cheaper than the S IV,
>> and it recently passed the iPhone  as the most popular phone (sales wise
>> anyway). Since I don't use my phone for all the fancy stuff the kids do
>> now, it does everything I need and much, much more!
>
> On my iPhone 5 I don't turn it off I just click the button to blank the
> screen even with it on 24 hrs a day  it last about 2-1/2 to 3 days.

I powercycle my iPhone 5 about once a week, or so to keep the RAM from
getting fragmented, and to speed loading of apps.  Generally speaking
the RAM handling of the iOS is pretty good, but it tends to retain a lot
of stuff that it really doesn't need to keep.  I find that after a
reboot, it has about 30% RAM usage, and that slowly builds of 70% over a
normal week to 10 days.  Otherwise, I leave it on.  Normally it is at
72-78% charge when I plug it in for overnight charging each night, so I
could easily go two or three days on it.

Re: OT Firefox for Android

jetjock
Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 8/5/2013 11:45 AM, jetjock wrote:
>
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Which is part of the problem as Android is at 4.2.2, isn't it?
>>

>> Not for the Galaxy S III. From what I've been able to find on the Net,
>> every phone seems to be on a different version. For someone like you who
>> seems to enjoy having the absolute latest version of things, I can see
>> this would be a problem. For me...not so much.  ;-)

>>> iTunes is a piece of crap, no doubt about it.  But then I don't use it
>>> except for OS updates, and backups.
>>> I don't buy into the iPhone as a music device, or podcasts (whatever
>>> they are), of buy that kind of content.  I do buy apps from the app
>>> store, but only through the phone itself.  So it really isn't as bad
>>> as it used to be.

>>> Just curious what your problem with the 3GS was.  My wife got a 3GS,
>>> and only moved from it when I got the iPhone 5.  No problem with
>>> upgrades up to that point (Dec 2012).
>>> The 3GS is pretty old technology by today's standards, but things move
>>> fast in the smartphone field.  It's upgrade, or be stuck, I guess.
>>

>> When we would turn the phone on (30 secs), we would have to wait another
>> 30 secs. before we could "slide to open". The button was there, it just
>> would not move for 30 secs. Not a major problem, but frustrating if one
>> was in a hurry.
>>
>> Our contracts were both up and we were eligible for an upgrade, so I got
>> the S III. Not the latest & greatest, but $100 cheaper than the S IV,
>> and it recently passed the iPhone  as the most popular phone (sales wise
>> anyway). Since I don't use my phone for all the fancy stuff the kids do
>> now, it does everything I need and much, much more!
>

> Which OS version was that?  Never saw it on my wife's phone.  But then
> we leave our on all the time.  The 3GS always slow to boot, especially
> compared to the iPhone 5.
> I certainly can't fault the S 3 as it is a great phone, if a bit
> oversized for me.  And going from a 3GS to the S 3 is a giant leap in
> functionality, and speed.

I wish I could say. I just can't remember exactly when the problem
showed up as use my phone so sparingly. And it wasn't until my wife & I
were bitching to each other about our phones, that I realized hers had
the same problem.

You're right about a giant leap. It's been a week now and I'm barely
getting to know what all I can do with this phone. I'll never realize
1/10 of it's potential. JUst hope I can learn the high points!

If you are interested, here is a link regarding what I said earlier
about the latest OS for the AT&T S III.
http://www.mobi-ware.com/android/exclusive-i9300xxufme7-android-4-2-2-jelly-bean-leaked-firmware-for-the-galaxy-s-iii-14103.html

Re: OT Firefox for Android

jetjock
PhillipJones wrote:

> jetjock wrote:
>
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Which is part of the problem as Android is at 4.2.2, isn't it?
>>

>> Not for the Galaxy S III. From what I've been able to find on the Net,
>> every phone seems to be on a different version. For someone like you who
>> seems to enjoy having the absolute latest version of things, I can see
>> this would be a problem. For me...not so much.  ;-)

>>> iTunes is a piece of crap, no doubt about it.  But then I don't use it
>>> except for OS updates, and backups.
>>> I don't buy into the iPhone as a music device, or podcasts (whatever
>>> they are), of buy that kind of content.  I do buy apps from the app
>>> store, but only through the phone itself.  So it really isn't as bad
>>> as it used to be.

>>> Just curious what your problem with the 3GS was.  My wife got a 3GS,
>>> and only moved from it when I got the iPhone 5.  No problem with
>>> upgrades up to that point (Dec 2012).
>>> The 3GS is pretty old technology by today's standards, but things move
>>> fast in the smartphone field.  It's upgrade, or be stuck, I guess.
>>

>> When we would turn the phone on (30 secs), we would have to wait another
>> 30 secs. before we could "slide to open". The button was there, it just
>> would not move for 30 secs. Not a major problem, but frustrating if one
>> was in a hurry.
>>
>> Our contracts were both up and we were eligible for an upgrade, so I got
>> the S III. Not the latest & greatest, but $100 cheaper than the S IV,
>> and it recently passed the iPhone  as the most popular phone (sales wise
>> anyway). Since I don't use my phone for all the fancy stuff the kids do
>> now, it does everything I need and much, much more!
>

> On my iPhone 5 I don't turn it off I just click the button to blank
> the screen even with it on 24 hrs a day  it last about 2-1/2 to 3 days.

That feature is also available on the S III. Don't recall if it was on
my old 3gs. I'll have to try it.

Re: OT Firefox for Android

Ron Hunter
On 8/5/2013 9:58 PM, jetjock wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Not for the Galaxy S III. From what I've been able to find on the Net,
>>> every phone seems to be on a different version. For someone like you who
>>> seems to enjoy having the absolute latest version of things, I can see
>>> this would be a problem. For me...not so much.  ;-)

>>> When we would turn the phone on (30 secs), we would have to wait another
>>> 30 secs. before we could "slide to open". The button was there, it just
>>> would not move for 30 secs. Not a major problem, but frustrating if one
>>> was in a hurry.
>>>
>>> Our contracts were both up and we were eligible for an upgrade, so I got
>>> the S III. Not the latest & greatest, but $100 cheaper than the S IV,
>>> and it recently passed the iPhone  as the most popular phone (sales wise
>>> anyway). Since I don't use my phone for all the fancy stuff the kids do
>>> now, it does everything I need and much, much more!
>>

>> Which OS version was that?  Never saw it on my wife's phone.  But then
>> we leave our on all the time.  The 3GS always slow to boot, especially
>> compared to the iPhone 5.
>> I certainly can't fault the S 3 as it is a great phone, if a bit
>> oversized for me.  And going from a 3GS to the S 3 is a giant leap in
>> functionality, and speed.
>

> I wish I could say. I just can't remember exactly when the problem
> showed up as use my phone so sparingly. And it wasn't until my wife & I
> were bitching to each other about our phones, that I realized hers had
> the same problem.
>
> You're right about a giant leap. It's been a week now and I'm barely
> getting to know what all I can do with this phone. I'll never realize
> 1/10 of it's potential. JUst hope I can learn the high points!
>
> If you are interested, here is a link regarding what I said earlier
> about the latest OS for the AT&T S III.
> http://www.mobi-ware.com/android/exclusive-i9300xxufme7-android-4-2-2-jelly-bean-leaked-firmware-for-the-galaxy-s-iii-14103.html

Unofficial releases aren't something I would get into.  It mentions
bringing the S4 camera features, but of course it doesn't make your 8mp
camera into the 13mp one in the S4.  Grin.
I agree with you about not actually using 1/10 of all the multiple
features.  Everyone just seeks out that feature subset that they
want/need, and, if they are lucky, learns to use those to best
advantage.  Smartphones are so versatile that I am sure no one actually
uses 100% of the features of the top of the line phones.

Re: OT Firefox for Android

Ron Hunter
On 8/5/2013 10:00 PM, jetjock wrote:

> PhillipJones wrote:
>
>> jetjock wrote:

>>> Not for the Galaxy S III. From what I've been able to find on the Net,
>>> every phone seems to be on a different version. For someone like you who
>>> seems to enjoy having the absolute latest version of things, I can see
>>> this would be a problem. For me...not so much.  ;-)

>>> When we would turn the phone on (30 secs), we would have to wait another
>>> 30 secs. before we could "slide to open". The button was there, it just
>>> would not move for 30 secs. Not a major problem, but frustrating if one
>>> was in a hurry.
>>>
>>> Our contracts were both up and we were eligible for an upgrade, so I got
>>> the S III. Not the latest & greatest, but $100 cheaper than the S IV,
>>> and it recently passed the iPhone  as the most popular phone (sales wise
>>> anyway). Since I don't use my phone for all the fancy stuff the kids do
>>> now, it does everything I need and much, much more!
>>

>> On my iPhone 5 I don't turn it off I just click the button to blank
>> the screen even with it on 24 hrs a day  it last about 2-1/2 to 3 days.
>>
> That feature is also available on the S III. Don't recall if it was on
> my old 3gs. I'll have to try it.
Sure was.

Re: Firefox for Android

WaltS-3
On 07/31/2013 11:23 AM, jetjock wrote:

> I finally dumped my iPhone and got a "new" Samsung S III yesterday. One
> of my primary reasons for going to Android was the Firefox browser app.
> I have a few questions about it though. First of all, is it updated
> every five minutes as the  Windows desktop version is? If so, can I find
> older versions as I can for the desktop version? Where? Are all the
> add-ons like Tab Mix Plus, Adblock Plus and Element Hiding Helper
> available for the mobile version.
>
> I know I could most likely dig around and find most of this out myself,
> but since you guys (& gals) here seem to know everything about Mozilla I
> thought I'd try one stop shopping first!   ;-)   Thanks for any help you
> can give.

The new version 23.0 is out. :)

<https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/08/06/firefox-for-android-makes-mobile-browsing-faster-easier/>