Firefox for Android

jetjock
I finally dumped my iPhone and got a "new" Samsung S III yesterday. One
of my primary reasons for going to Android was the Firefox browser app.
I have a few questions about it though. First of all, is it updated
every five minutes as the  Windows desktop version is? If so, can I find
older versions as I can for the desktop version? Where? Are all the
add-ons like Tab Mix Plus, Adblock Plus and Element Hiding Helper
available for the mobile version.

I know I could most likely dig around and find most of this out myself,
but since you guys (& gals) here seem to know everything about Mozilla I
thought I'd try one stop shopping first!   ;-)   Thanks for any help you
can give.

Re: Firefox for Android

Ron Hunter
On 7/31/2013 10:23 AM, jetjock wrote:

> I finally dumped my iPhone and got a "new" Samsung S III yesterday. One
> of my primary reasons for going to Android was the Firefox browser app.
> I have a few questions about it though. First of all, is it updated
> every five minutes as the  Windows desktop version is? If so, can I find
> older versions as I can for the desktop version? Where? Are all the
> add-ons like Tab Mix Plus, Adblock Plus and Element Hiding Helper
> available for the mobile version.
>
> I know I could most likely dig around and find most of this out myself,
> but since you guys (& gals) here seem to know everything about Mozilla I
> thought I'd try one stop shopping first!   ;-)   Thanks for any help you
> can give.

You switched phones to get a single app, and now you don't want it to be
improved?  To each his own, I guess, but this makes no sense to me.

Re: Firefox for Android

Ann Watson-5
On 31/07/2013 11:23 AM, jetjock wrote:

> I finally dumped my iPhone and got a "new" Samsung S III
> yesterday. One of my primary reasons for going to Android was the
> Firefox browser app. I have a few questions about it though.
> First of all, is it updated every five minutes as the  Windows
> desktop version is? If so, can I find older versions as I can for
> the desktop version? Where? Are all the add-ons like Tab Mix
> Plus, Adblock Plus and Element Hiding Helper available for the
> mobile version.
>
> I know I could most likely dig around and find most of this out
> myself, but since you guys (& gals) here seem to know everything
> about Mozilla I thought I'd try one stop shopping first!   ;-)
> Thanks for any help you can give.

The url for the Firefox add-ons page is
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/android/

Tab Mix Plus and Adblock Plus are available for the android
version but I don't believe Element Hiding Helper is available at
this time.

The android version of Firefox is presumably updated as regularly
as the Windows desktop version; since I'm using the beta version
(on a wi-fi only tablet) I receive updates more frequently.

My only other comments are that I think the tab layout may work
better for a smartphone than for a tablet and that it may take
you some time to get used to using it - it did for me.  Be sure
to read the support info at
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/mobile

AW

Re: Firefox for Android

s|b-2
On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:23:45 -0500, jetjock wrote:

> I know I could most likely dig around and find most of this out myself,
> but since you guys (& gals) here seem to know everything about Mozilla I
> thought I'd try one stop shopping first!   ;-)   Thanks for any help you
> can give.

Maybe you can check out comp.mobile.android as well?

--
s|b

Re: Firefox for Android

Jim S-2
On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:23:45 -0500, jetjock wrote:

> I finally dumped my iPhone and got a "new" Samsung S III yesterday. One
> of my primary reasons for going to Android was the Firefox browser app.
> I have a few questions about it though. First of all, is it updated
> every five minutes as the  Windows desktop version is? If so, can I find
> older versions as I can for the desktop version? Where? Are all the
> add-ons like Tab Mix Plus, Adblock Plus and Element Hiding Helper
> available for the mobile version.
>
> I know I could most likely dig around and find most of this out myself,
> but since you guys (& gals) here seem to know everything about Mozilla I
> thought I'd try one stop shopping first!   ;-)   Thanks for any help you
> can give.

It does depend on the model of smartphone/tablet and whether it's ice-cream
or jellybean or whatever.
I use Firefox on my pc and tried to use Mobile Firefox, but hated it.
Chrome mobile is OK, but I find that the Default Browser works as well as
any of them. I think I have tried all the browsers - and there are quite a
few.
--
Jim S
        Tyneside UK

Re: Firefox for Android

jetjock
Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 7/31/2013 10:23 AM, jetjock wrote:
>
>> I finally dumped my iPhone and got a "new" Samsung S III yesterday. One
>> of my primary reasons for going to Android was the Firefox browser app.
>> I have a few questions about it though. First of all, is it updated
>> every five minutes as the  Windows desktop version is? If so, can I find
>> older versions as I can for the desktop version? Where? Are all the
>> add-ons like Tab Mix Plus, Adblock Plus and Element Hiding Helper
>> available for the mobile version.
>>
>> I know I could most likely dig around and find most of this out myself,
>> but since you guys (& gals) here seem to know everything about Mozilla I
>> thought I'd try one stop shopping first!   ;-)   Thanks for any help you
>> can give.
>

> You switched phones to get a single app, and now you don't want it to
> be improved?  To each his own, I guess, but this makes no sense to me.

Maybe it would make more sense if you actually read what I said. "_One_
of the primary..."  Anyway, thanks for all the help.

Re: Firefox for Android

jetjock
Annailis wrote:

> On 31/07/2013 11:23 AM, jetjock wrote:
>
>> I finally dumped my iPhone and got a "new" Samsung S III
>> yesterday. One of my primary reasons for going to Android was the
>> Firefox browser app. I have a few questions about it though.
>> First of all, is it updated every five minutes as the  Windows
>> desktop version is? If so, can I find older versions as I can for
>> the desktop version? Where? Are all the add-ons like Tab Mix
>> Plus, Adblock Plus and Element Hiding Helper available for the
>> mobile version.
>>
>> I know I could most likely dig around and find most of this out
>> myself, but since you guys (& gals) here seem to know everything
>> about Mozilla I thought I'd try one stop shopping first!   ;-)
>> Thanks for any help you can give.
>

> The url for the Firefox add-ons page is
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/android/
>
> Tab Mix Plus and Adblock Plus are available for the android version
> but I don't believe Element Hiding Helper is available at this time.
>
> The android version of Firefox is presumably updated as regularly as
> the Windows desktop version; since I'm using the beta version (on a
> wi-fi only tablet) I receive updates more frequently.
>
> My only other comments are that I think the tab layout may work better
> for a smartphone than for a tablet and that it may take you some time
> to get used to using it - it did for me.  Be sure to read the support
> info at
> http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/mobile
>
> AW

Many thanks for the info.

Re: Firefox for Android

jetjock
s|b wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:23:45 -0500, jetjock wrote:
>

>>I know I could most likely dig around and find most of this out myself,
>>but since you guys (& gals) here seem to know everything about Mozilla I
>>thought I'd try one stop shopping first!   ;-)   Thanks for any help you
>>can give.
>>

>Maybe you can check out comp.mobile.android as well?

I have been whatching that group ever since I started thinking about
switching from iPhone. Unfortunately, it's pretty dead.  :-(

Re: Firefox for Android

jetjock
Jim S wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:23:45 -0500, jetjock wrote:
>

>>I finally dumped my iPhone and got a "new" Samsung S III yesterday. One
>>of my primary reasons for going to Android was the Firefox browser app.
>>I have a few questions about it though. First of all, is it updated
>>every five minutes as the  Windows desktop version is? If so, can I find
>>older versions as I can for the desktop version? Where? Are all the
>>add-ons like Tab Mix Plus, Adblock Plus and Element Hiding Helper
>>available for the mobile version.
>>
>>I know I could most likely dig around and find most of this out myself,
>>but since you guys (& gals) here seem to know everything about Mozilla I
>>thought I'd try one stop shopping first!   ;-)   Thanks for any help you
>>can give.
>>

>It does depend on the model of smartphone/tablet and whether it's ice-cream
>or jellybean or whatever.
>I use Firefox on my pc and tried to use Mobile Firefox, but hated it.
>Chrome mobile is OK, but I find that the Default Browser works as well as
>any of them. I think I have tried all the browsers - and there are quite a
>few.

I  just updated to 4.1.2 Jellybean which is supposedly the latest
version for my phone.

Just out of curiosity, what was it that you didn't like about FF mobile?

Re: Firefox for Android

Ralph Fox-4
On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:23:45 -0500, jetjock wrote:

> I finally dumped my iPhone and got a "new" Samsung S III yesterday. One
> of my primary reasons for going to Android was the Firefox browser app.
> I have a few questions about it though. First of all, is it updated
> every five minutes as the  Windows desktop version is? If so, can I find
> older versions as I can for the desktop version? Where?

Latest version:  http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/latest/android/en-US/

Older versions:  http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/
Select a version number instead of "latest"

Some add-ons, not all.  See https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Firefox for Android

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what jetjock graced us with on 7/31/2013
12:20 PM:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> On 7/31/2013 10:23 AM, jetjock wrote:
>>
>>> I finally dumped my iPhone and got a "new" Samsung S III yesterday. One
>>> of my primary reasons for going to Android was the Firefox browser app.
>>> I have a few questions about it though. First of all, is it updated
>>> every five minutes as the  Windows desktop version is? If so, can I find
>>> older versions as I can for the desktop version? Where? Are all the
>>> add-ons like Tab Mix Plus, Adblock Plus and Element Hiding Helper
>>> available for the mobile version.
>>>
>>> I know I could most likely dig around and find most of this out myself,
>>> but since you guys (& gals) here seem to know everything about Mozilla I
>>> thought I'd try one stop shopping first!   ;-)   Thanks for any help you
>>> can give.
>>

>> You switched phones to get a single app, and now you don't want it to
>> be improved?  To each his own, I guess, but this makes no sense to me.
>>
> Maybe it would make more sense if you actually read what I said. "_One_
> of the primary..."  Anyway, thanks for all the help.

What "help" did Ron actually provide?

Just sayin :-)

--
Sailfish

Re: Firefox for Android

Jim S-2
On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 14:54:31 -0500, jetjock wrote:

> Jim S wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:23:45 -0500, jetjock wrote:
>>

>>>I finally dumped my iPhone and got a "new" Samsung S III yesterday. One
>>>of my primary reasons for going to Android was the Firefox browser app.
>>>I have a few questions about it though. First of all, is it updated
>>>every five minutes as the  Windows desktop version is? If so, can I find
>>>older versions as I can for the desktop version? Where? Are all the
>>>add-ons like Tab Mix Plus, Adblock Plus and Element Hiding Helper
>>>available for the mobile version.
>>>
>>>I know I could most likely dig around and find most of this out myself,
>>>but since you guys (& gals) here seem to know everything about Mozilla I
>>>thought I'd try one stop shopping first!   ;-)   Thanks for any help you
>>>can give.
>>>

>>It does depend on the model of smartphone/tablet and whether it's ice-cream
>>or jellybean or whatever.
>>I use Firefox on my pc and tried to use Mobile Firefox, but hated it.
>>Chrome mobile is OK, but I find that the Default Browser works as well as
>>any of them. I think I have tried all the browsers - and there are quite a
>>few.
>>

> I  just updated to 4.1.2 Jellybean which is supposedly the latest
> version for my phone.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what was it that you didn't like about FF mobile?

Mainly that I couldn't get it to work. :-(
I don't particularly want it to sync with my pc, but I do need it to import
my bookmarks where I can find them in an instant.
I'm fairly savvy with things computery, but it defeated me.
--
Jim S
        Tyneside UK

Re: Firefox for Android

Ron Hunter
On 7/31/2013 4:07 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what jetjock graced us with on 7/31/2013
> 12:20 PM:
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> You switched phones to get a single app, and now you don't want it to
>>> be improved?  To each his own, I guess, but this makes no sense to me.
>>>
>> Maybe it would make more sense if you actually read what I said.
>> "_One_ of the primary..."  Anyway, thanks for all the help.
>
> What "help" did Ron actually provide?
>
> Just sayin :-)

I think that was sarcasm.  I find it a bit strange that one would change
phones so he could run the Mozilla browser.  I guess that is what they
call 'brand loyalty'.

Re: Firefox for Android

Ann Watson-5
On 31/07/2013 5:16 PM, Jim S wrote:

> Mainly that I couldn't get it to work. :-(
> I don't particularly want it to sync with my pc, but I do need it to import
> my bookmarks where I can find them in an instant.
> I'm fairly savvy with things computery, but it defeated me.

I chose the kludge method of exporting the bookmarks from my pc
as an .html file and transferring that to my android tablet but
haven't found a way to import the whole file into the android
version of Firefox but can open links from the .html file into
Firefox Android.  I decided to use only regularly visited links,
particularly since I haven't discovered any way to put bookmarks
into folders.

I think (but may be mistaken) that you have to root the phone or
tablet to be able to see where android is hiding the Firefox
profile. Then perhaps you could copy the appropriate .sql
file(s)for bookmarks from pc to phone/tablet?

AW

Re: Firefox for Android

jetjock
Ralph Fox wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:23:45 -0500, jetjock wrote:
>

>>I finally dumped my iPhone and got a "new" Samsung S III yesterday. One
>>of my primary reasons for going to Android was the Firefox browser app.
>>I have a few questions about it though. First of all, is it updated
>>every five minutes as the  Windows desktop version is? If so, can I find
>>older versions as I can for the desktop version? Where?
>>

>Latest version:  http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/latest/android/en-US/
>
>Older versions:  http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/
>Select a version number instead of "latest"
>

>>Are all the
>>add-ons like Tab Mix Plus, Adblock Plus and Element Hiding Helper
>>available for the mobile version.
>>

>Some add-ons, not all.  See https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/

Ralph,

Exactly what I needed! Thank you very much.

Re: Firefox for Android

jetjock
Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what jetjock graced us with on
> 7/31/2013 12:20 PM:
>
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> You switched phones to get a single app, and now you don't want it
>>> to be improved?  To each his own, I guess, but this makes no sense
>>> to me.
>>>
>> Maybe it would make more sense if you actually read what I said.
>> "_One_ of the primary..."  Anyway, thanks for all the help.
>

> What "help" did Ron actually provide?
>
> Just sayin :-)

I couldn't find a smily for "facetous".  ;-)

Re: Firefox for Android

jetjock
Jim S wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 14:54:31 -0500, jetjock wrote:
>

>>Jim S wrote:

>>>It does depend on the model of smartphone/tablet and whether it's ice-cream
>>>or jellybean or whatever.
>>>I use Firefox on my pc and tried to use Mobile Firefox, but hated it.
>>>Chrome mobile is OK, but I find that the Default Browser works as well as
>>>any of them. I think I have tried all the browsers - and there are quite a
>>>few.
>>>

>>I  just updated to 4.1.2 Jellybean which is supposedly the latest
>>version for my phone.
>>
>>Just out of curiosity, what was it that you didn't like about FF mobile?
>>

>Mainly that I couldn't get it to work. :-(
>I don't particularly want it to sync with my pc, but I do need it to import
>my bookmarks where I can find them in an instant.
>I'm fairly savvy with things computery, but it defeated me.

Me too. I installed it and synched it with my desktop, but that's as far
as I got. I could not figure out how to access any bookmarks, use tabs
or go to a Website. Once I intalled Adblock Plus, that was the only page
I could find. So far, I'm having better luck with Chrome, but I haven't
given up yet. Will try using an older version once I figure out how to
un-install apps from the phone. Learning a little more each day!  :-)

Re: Firefox for Android

Jim S-2
On Thu, 01 Aug 2013 14:03:49 -0500, jetjock wrote:

> Jim S wrote:

>>>I  just updated to 4.1.2 Jellybean which is supposedly the latest
>>>version for my phone.
>>>
>>>Just out of curiosity, what was it that you didn't like about FF mobile?
>>>

>>Mainly that I couldn't get it to work. :-(
>>I don't particularly want it to sync with my pc, but I do need it to import
>>my bookmarks where I can find them in an instant.
>>I'm fairly savvy with things computery, but it defeated me.
>>

> Me too. I installed it and synched it with my desktop, but that's as far
> as I got. I could not figure out how to access any bookmarks, use tabs
> or go to a Website. Once I intalled Adblock Plus, that was the only page
> I could find. So far, I'm having better luck with Chrome, but I haven't
> given up yet. Will try using an older version once I figure out how to
> un-install apps from the phone. Learning a little more each day!  :-)

Chrome's OK on my tablet, but I don't really see the advantage over the
Stock Browser. I'm on Galaxy Tab 2 (Jellybean) so some things that work on
other androids don't work on mine.
--
Jim S
        Tyneside UK

Re: Firefox for Android

jetjock
Ralph Fox wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:23:45 -0500, jetjock wrote:
>

>>I finally dumped my iPhone and got a "new" Samsung S III yesterday. One
>>of my primary reasons for going to Android was the Firefox browser app.
>>I have a few questions about it though. First of all, is it updated
>>every five minutes as the  Windows desktop version is? If so, can I find
>>older versions as I can for the desktop version? Where?
>>

>Latest version:  http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/latest/android/en-US/
>
>Older versions:  http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/
>Select a version number instead of "latest"
>

>>Are all the
>>add-ons like Tab Mix Plus, Adblock Plus and Element Hiding Helper
>>available for the mobile version.
>>

>Some add-ons, not all.  See https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/

Ralph,

  I downloaded the version that I want, but I have no idea how to
install it onto my phone. It is an apk file, which is an Android
compressed file. WinRAR shows a whole list of files in it, but I'm stuck
as to what to do with them. Can you (or anyone else) provide some help?
I'm thinking that the phone may have to be rooted before I can add apps
from my computer. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Re: Firefox for Android

jetjock
jetjock wrote:

> Ralph Fox wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:23:45 -0500, jetjock wrote:
>>

>>> I finally dumped my iPhone and got a "new" Samsung S III yesterday.
>>> One of my primary reasons for going to Android was the Firefox
>>> browser app. I have a few questions about it though. First of all,
>>> is it updated every five minutes as the  Windows desktop version is?
>>> If so, can I find older versions as I can for the desktop version?
>>> Where?
>>

>> Latest version:
>> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/latest/android/en-US/
>>

>> Older versions:  http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/
>> Select a version number instead of "latest"
>>

>>> Are all the add-ons like Tab Mix Plus, Adblock Plus and Element
>>> Hiding Helper available for the mobile version.
>>>

>> Some add-ons, not all.  See https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/
>>

> Ralph,
>
>  I downloaded the version that I want, but I have no idea how to
> install it onto my phone. It is an apk file, which is an Android
> compressed file. WinRAR shows a whole list of files in it, but I'm
> stuck as to what to do with them. Can you (or anyone else) provide
> some help? I'm thinking that the phone may have to be rooted before I
> can add apps from my computer. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Never mind all. I found a Youtube video that explains how to add apk
files to a phone.