Firefox for Amazon Fire TV available to localize in a subset of locales

Firefox for Amazon Fire TV available to localize in a subset of locales

Delphine L
Hello localizers!

I've just enabled Firefox for Amazon Fire TV for a subset of locales,
you can find it on Pontoon here:
https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/firefox-for-fire-tv/

These locales are:
de, fr, it, zh-CN, ja, pt-BR and es-ES

This project is based on Android and is basically a spin-off of Focus
Android [1]. The mobile team launched this after a rapid one week
sprint over the winter holidays, and re-used most of the strings from
Focus Android, which is why you will see only a very few number of
strings to localize.

For some locales, the strings marked as "fuzzy" were done using
machine translation since the l10n repos were not set up yet - and
thus need some love and care from localizers.

The reason why this project it not available yet for everyone is that
Amazon Fire TV only has a tiny selection of languages at the time. But
have no fear! A language selector is in the works and soon this
project will be available for everyone :)

We don't have a clear l10n timeline for the next release (v2.0), but
the code freeze should be March 8th with a release March 12th. I
should know more very shortly (hopefully today), and will update here
as soon as I do.

In any case, it's a cool project (I use it daily!) and has really good
ratings on Amazon - I hope you enjoy it too!

--
Delphine

[1] https://www.amazon.com/Mozilla-Firefox-for-Fire-TV/dp/B078B5YMPD

Re: Firefox for Amazon Fire TV available to localize in a subset of locales

Delphine L
Quick update about all this: we will be getting a *very* small number
of new strings next week (hopefully by Tues).
The deadline for these will be March 13th.

In the meantime, Focus Android/iOS remains on pause (what that means
exactly time-wise is still TBD).

Locale switcher should be in the works by the next release :)

cheers
delphine

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 3:43 PM, Delphine L <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Quick update about all this: we will be getting a *very* small number
> of new strings next week (hopefully by Tues).
> The deadline for these will be March 13th.

Woops, I meant by March 11th (reflected in Pontoon already).

The 13th will be the deadline for Firefox iOS, and you'll get that
email in just a few minutes ;)

thanks!

--
Delphine

Re: Firefox for Amazon Fire TV available to localize in a subset of locales

Delphine L
Screenshots for testing are available here:
https://aaronmt.github.io/firefox-tv-locale-screenshots/

They should be updated soon with the latest translations.

thanks!

--
Delphine

Re: Firefox for Amazon Fire TV available to localize in a subset of locales

Axel Hecht
Hi Delphine,

the build for those strings seems to be using old strings?
https://github.com/mozilla-l10n/firefoxtv-l10n/commit/31909cf4c31ff42ee3d7218b261c65c048da15b0#diff-c49f1af9ae38441d563653226fdcec1dR1183
is from Feb 14, but the screenshot for German [0] shows the old string
with "Geschwindigkeitsschub" instead of "Problem".

Axel

[0]
https://aaronmt.github.io/firefox-tv-locale-screenshots/de/images/phoneScreenshots/first-launch_1519925075716.png

Am 03.03.18 um 01:09 schrieb Delphine L:

> Screenshots for testing are available here:
> https://aaronmt.github.io/firefox-tv-locale-screenshots/
>
> They should be updated soon with the latest translations.
>
> thanks!
>
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 3:47 PM, Delphine L <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 3:43 PM, Delphine L <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Quick update about all this: we will be getting a *very* small number
>>> of new strings next week (hopefully by Tues).
>>> The deadline for these will be March 13th.
>>>

>> Woops, I meant by March 11th (reflected in Pontoon already).
>>
>> The 13th will be the deadline for Firefox iOS, and you'll get that
>> email in just a few minutes ;)
>>
>> thanks!
>>
>>> In the meantime, Focus Android/iOS remains on pause (what that means
>>> exactly time-wise is still TBD).
>>>
>>> Locale switcher should be in the works by the next release :)
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> delphine

>>> --
>>> Delphine
>>

>> --
>> Delphine

Re: Firefox for Amazon Fire TV available to localize in a subset of locales

Delphine L
Hi Axel,

Yeah, I've talked with the TV team yesterday so they should update them
quickly. I still wanted to send out the link though so people would have it
going forwards (I'll add it to Pontoon as well).

Thanks!
delphine

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 6:19 AM, Axel Hecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Delphine,
>
> the build for those strings seems to be using old strings?
> https://github.com/mozilla-l10n/firefoxtv-l10n/commit/31909c
> f4c31ff42ee3d7218b261c65c048da15b0#diff-c49f1af9ae38441d5636
> 53226fdcec1dR1183 is from Feb 14, but the screenshot for German [0] shows
> the old string with "Geschwindigkeitsschub" instead of "Problem".
>
> Axel
>
> [0] https://aaronmt.github.io/firefox-tv-locale-screenshots/de/
> images/phoneScreenshots/first-launch_1519925075716.png
>
> Am 03.03.18 um 01:09 schrieb Delphine L:
>
>> Screenshots for testing are available here:
>> https://aaronmt.github.io/firefox-tv-locale-screenshots/
>>
>> They should be updated soon with the latest translations.
>>
>> thanks!
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 3:47 PM, Delphine L <[hidden email]>
>>
>> wrote:

>>> Woops, I meant by March 11th (reflected in Pontoon already).
>>>
>>> The 13th will be the deadline for Firefox iOS, and you'll get that
>>> email in just a few minutes ;)
>>>
>>> thanks!
>>>
>>> In the meantime, Focus Android/iOS remains on pause (what that means

>>> --
>>> Delphine

Delphine

Re: Firefox for Amazon Fire TV available to localize in a subset of locales

Delphine L
There is a small batch of new strings on Pontoon[1] now, these should
be the last ones for v2.
Deadline: still March 11

Please note: last time we made all the Tiles on the homescreen
localizable... However they should not be, so we've removed those
strings. These tiles will be made customizable per region at a later
date.

Also, screenshots are being updated with the latest existing strings
right now. They'll be updated a few more times during the cycle so you
can check these new strings I've just exposed there too, very soon.

[1] https://pontoon.mozilla.org/projects/firefox-for-fire-tv/

Cheers
delphine

--
Delphine

Re: Firefox for Amazon Fire TV available to localize in a subset of locales

Delphine L
Screenshots were updated:
https://aaronmt.github.io/firefox-tv-locale-screenshots/

Please let me know if there's anything that needs to be fixed since
we'd have to ask the mobile team to do a last import for this.

Thanks!

--
Delphine