Firefox fast-backward button

Diederik-3
Hello,

When I have visited a lot of pages on the same domain (i.e.
www.domain.com/page-a.html ... www.domain.com/page-x.html) I often want
to go back to the previous domain directly (i.e.
www.previous-domain.com). Of course, it is possible to use the list near
the back and forward-buttons, but that's often not handy (especially
when I visited a lot of pages on www.domain.com).

It is possible to add an (optional) Fast-backward button to the toolbar?

Behaviour: when I am on www.domain.com/page-x.html the button should
take me first to www.domain.com/page-a.html, and then to
www.previous-domain.com/page-x.html and www.previous-domain.com/page-a.html

Thanks!

Diederik

Re: Firefox fast-backward button

Mouse-12
> It is possible to add an (optional) Fast-backward button to the toolbar?

Are you aware that right-clicking on the Back button produces a
dropdown of page titles, allowing you to jump back large numbers of
pages quickly?  (Or, at least, it does for me.)  It's not quite what
you asked for, but might be close enough to be of some use.

/~\ The ASCII der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML [hidden email]
/ \ Email!     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

Re: Firefox fast-backward button

EE-2
Diederik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When I have visited a lot of pages on the same domain (i.e.
> www.domain.com/page-a.html ... www.domain.com/page-x.html) I often want
> to go back to the previous domain directly (i.e.
> www.previous-domain.com). Of course, it is possible to use the list near
> the back and forward-buttons, but that's often not handy (especially
> when I visited a lot of pages on www.domain.com).
>
> It is possible to add an (optional) Fast-backward button to the toolbar?
>
> Behaviour: when I am on www.domain.com/page-x.html the button should
> take me first to www.domain.com/page-a.html, and then to
> www.previous-domain.com/page-x.html and www.previous-domain.com/page-a.html
>
> Thanks!
>
> Diederik

So what you want is to go backward more than one step?  Right-click the
button and choose the address from the list.

EE wrote:

> Diederik wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> When I have visited a lot of pages on the same domain (i.e.
>> www.domain.com/page-a.html ... www.domain.com/page-x.html) I often
>> want to go back to the previous domain directly (i.e.
>> www.previous-domain.com). Of course, it is possible to use the list
>> near the back and forward-buttons, but that's often not handy
>> (especially when I visited a lot of pages on www.domain.com).
>>
>> It is possible to add an (optional) Fast-backward button to the toolbar?
>>
>> Behaviour: when I am on www.domain.com/page-x.html the button should
>> take me first to www.domain.com/page-a.html, and then to
>> www.previous-domain.com/page-x.html and
>> www.previous-domain.com/page-a.html
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Diederik
>
> So what you want is to go backward more than one step?  Right-click the
> button and choose the address from the list.

I know. But there are max 15 items in that list, and you also have to
choose the correct item from that list. A fast backward buttons is a lot
easier. Often I zap through an interesting site and after I did or
didn't found what I looked for I just want to get back where I came
from. Our do you surf more structured?

Re: Firefox fast-backward button

Herre de Jonge
Diederik wrote:

> EE wrote:
>> Diederik wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> When I have visited a lot of pages on the same domain (i.e.
>>> www.domain.com/page-a.html ... www.domain.com/page-x.html) I often
>>> want to go back to the previous domain directly (i.e.
>>> www.previous-domain.com). Of course, it is possible to use the list
>>> near the back and forward-buttons, but that's often not handy
>>> (especially when I visited a lot of pages on www.domain.com).
>>>
>>> It is possible to add an (optional) Fast-backward button to the toolbar?
>>>
>>> Behaviour: when I am on www.domain.com/page-x.html the button should
>>> take me first to www.domain.com/page-a.html, and then to
>>> www.previous-domain.com/page-x.html and
>>> www.previous-domain.com/page-a.html
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Diederik
>>
>> So what you want is to go backward more than one step?  Right-click
>> the button and choose the address from the list.
>
> I know. But there are max 15 items in that list, and you also have to
> choose the correct item from that list. A fast backward buttons is a lot
> easier. Often I zap through an interesting site and after I did or
> didn't found what I looked for I just want to get back where I came
> from. Our do you surf more structured?

Also it's often difficult to choose the correct page because the page
titles are often the same. Good idea (which I think has been actually
suggested before).

Herre de Jonge wrote:

> Diederik wrote:
>> EE wrote:

>>> So what you want is to go backward more than one step?  Right-click
>>> the button and choose the address from the list.
>>
>> I know. But there are max 15 items in that list, and you also have to
>> choose the correct item from that list. A fast backward buttons is a
>> lot easier. Often I zap through an interesting site and after I did or
>> didn't found what I looked for I just want to get back where I came
>> from. Our do you surf more structured?
>
> Also it's often difficult to choose the correct page because the page
> titles are often the same. Good idea (which I think has been actually
> suggested before).

And the optimize browsing experience somewhat more: I like the
suggestion from Bryan White below (27-05-2008). Its somewhat similar to
the extension back-is-close; but this sort of functionality should be
part of the basic product. And there should also be the option 'open a
link to another domain automatically in a new tab'. This has the effect
that clicking on a result in for example google-results automatically
opens a new tab.

Bryan White wrote:
 > Often when browsing I open links in new tabs, or the links themselves
are configured to load in new tabs.  I would like the 'back' button (and
by extension the 'back' button on my mouse) to allow me to back out of this.

 > In other words, If all of these are true:
 >    There is no previous page in the current tab
 >    The tab was opened via a click in another page
 >    That other page is still open
 > Then close the current tab and focus the originating tab.
 >
 > The net effect would be to make the multi-tabbed browsing experience
much more transparent to the user.

 > For completeness it should apply to opened windows as well as tabs.
 >
 > Perhaps there is an existing add-on or hidden preference that allows
this behavior but I have not found it.

Herre de Jonge wrote:

> Diederik wrote:
>> EE wrote:

>>> So what you want is to go backward more than one step?  Right-click
>>> the button and choose the address from the list.
>>
>> I know. But there are max 15 items in that list, and you also have to
>> choose the correct item from that list. A fast backward buttons is a
>> lot easier. Often I zap through an interesting site and after I did or
>> didn't found what I looked for I just want to get back where I came
>> from. Our do you surf more structured?
>
> Also it's often difficult to choose the correct page because the page
> titles are often the same. Good idea (which I think has been actually
> suggested before).

I posted a similar suggestion one year ago (20-7-2007). And maybe also
next summer ;-)