Firefox doesn't handle the x-jsd protocol?

Firefox doesn't handle the x-jsd protocol?

ChadA
Hi,
  I've installed Venkman for the first time on:

Firefox 2.0.0.2
Mac OS 10.4.8

  and Tools->Javascript Debugger->Open Windows tab->Double Click on
one of the html filennames gives me the popup error:

"Firefox does not know how to open this address, because the protocol
(x-jsd) isn't associated with any program"

  I've tried modifying the about:config keys:

network.protocol-handler.app.x-jsd = /Applications/Firefox.app (I know
this is wrong, but I don't know what else to put here)
network.protocol-handler.external.x-jsd = true

..but still same behavior.

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks in advance!
Chad Armstrong

Re: Firefox doesn't handle the x-jsd protocol?

James Ross
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>   I've installed Venkman for the first time on:
>
> Firefox 2.0.0.2
> Mac OS 10.4.8
>
>   and Tools->Javascript Debugger->Open Windows tab->Double Click on
> one of the html filennames gives me the popup error:
>
> "Firefox does not know how to open this address, because the protocol
> (x-jsd) isn't associated with any program"

Sounds like Firefox didn't installed it properly, but then I'm not sure
what the Firefox compatibility is right now.

Does the source views work/appear if you click the Pause button or use
the 'debugger' keyword?

--
James Ross <[hidden email]>
ChatZilla and Venkman Developer

Re: Firefox doesn't handle the x-jsd protocol?

ChadA

> Does the source views work/appear if you click the Pause button or use
> the 'debugger' keyword?

No, still the same popup x-jsd error. I do notice that the interactive
session displays the code surrounding 'debugger' when that gets hit in
execution, but in order to set my own breakpoints, I need to be able
to see the sourcecode in the sourcecode window eventually..

thanks
Chad

[hidden email] wrote:
> No, still the same popup x-jsd error. I do notice that the interactive
> session displays the code surrounding 'debugger' when that gets hit in
> execution, but in order to set my own breakpoints, I need to be able
> to see the sourcecode in the sourcecode window eventually..

Indeed, but that's not exactly Venkman's fault - Venkman actually works
fine for me in Firefox 2 and trunk (to be 3). The source view is a page
loaded via an x-jsd URL - by far the best way to do it.

You'll really have to investigate what your Firefox has screwed up
yourself, but it sounds very much like Firefox is ignoring the
"venkman-service.js" file, which is where the x-jsd protocol is defined.

--
James Ross <[hidden email]>
ChatZilla and Venkman Developer

Re: Firefox doesn't handle the x-jsd protocol?

John J Barton
James Ross wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> No, still the same popup x-jsd error. I do notice that the interactive
>> session displays the code surrounding 'debugger' when that gets hit in
>> execution, but in order to set my own breakpoints, I need to be able
>> to see the sourcecode in the sourcecode window eventually..
>
> Indeed, but that's not exactly Venkman's fault - Venkman actually works
> fine for me in Firefox 2 and trunk (to be 3). The source view is a page
> loaded via an x-jsd URL - by far the best way to do it.
>
> You'll really have to investigate what your Firefox has screwed up
> yourself, but it sounds very much like Firefox is ignoring the
> "venkman-service.js" file, which is where the x-jsd protocol is defined.

Chad, if James is right you might try exiting FF then deleting xpti.dat
and compreg.dat from your extensions directory.  FF rebuilds them next
you start.
John.

Re: Firefox doesn't handle the x-jsd protocol?

ChadA
Hi John,
  For some reason my response keeps not appearing here on:

http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.apps.js-debugger/browse_thread/thread/8e5ef196cd5e5746/9333c2826c02439a#9333c2826c02439a

  The gist is that I tried what you suggested, still didn't solve my
problem, so I downloaded Mozilla 1.7.something for OS X, and it's
embedded debugger looks just like Venkman and works correctly on my
platform. Still not ideal, but at least I have a dev environment at
home now (work is WinXP and FF+Venkman works fine).

thanks
Chad

[hidden email] wrote:
...so I downloaded Mozilla 1.7.something for OS X, and it's
> embedded debugger looks just like Venkman and works correctly on my
> platform. Still not ideal, but at least I have a dev environment at
> home now (work is WinXP and FF+Venkman works fine).

For HTML debugging you can try Firebug, it has many features beyond
Venkman for Web Dev. No XUL support however.

John.