Firefox desktop/mobile localization report

Firefox desktop/mobile localization report

Jeff-355
Hi everyone,

This week we successfully released the next version of Firefox on desktop and Android! If you haven't already done something nice for yourself to celebrate your hard work, do it! You totally deserve it!

Here are some stats:
- 68% of our release train locales signed off and shipped on Firefox 21 on desktop.
- Pootle saw another large increase in the number of locales using it to perform Firefox localization.
- Several individuals and organizations expressed interest in creating new localizations of Firefox. These include several indigenous Mexican languages, Lakota, Aymara, Zimbabwean Ndebele, and Afan Oromo.
- Several Firefox for Android add-ons were created to support Unicode enabled fonts by Andrew Cunningham. See the @mozilla_l10n feed for details on those.

IMPORTANT FOR AURORA

Firefox 23 is now in Aurora. You'll notice that there are nearly 300 new strings to localize for desktop and 60 for fennec. Firefox 23 desktop is adding the Mixed Content Blocking feature, which adds many new strings to the product. For info on that feature, see this blog post from the security team:
https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2013/05/16/mixed-content-blocking-in-firefox-aurora/

Here are some KEY DATES for this cycle:

    Beta sign-offs due by 17 JUNE.
    Aurora sign-offs due by 24 JUNE.
    Firefox released on 25 JUNE.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be sure to sign off on your localizations. Many locales stalled at Beta last cycle because they simply didn't complete sign-off reviews.

If there are other items that I forgot to include, or that you would like to see in this report in the future, please feel free to add them to this thread.

Thank you all for your dedication! As always, let us know how we can help.

Jeff

Re: Firefox desktop/mobile localization report

Ibrahima Sarr
Hi all
Thanks a lot Jeff for this report which is rally useful as sometimes we
tend to focus on actual translation work and somehow forget all those
processes that are involved until release. Oh yes, Pootle is doing great
and I am sure it's going to be a major platform for localization of Mozilla
products. By the way, I will publish soon complete video guides to
translating with Virtaal/Pootle cause it is a much requested resource! So
stay tuned.
As far as sign-offs are concerned, I still rely on Dwayne Bailey since I
have not yet started doing it myself. For the time being, I am totally
happy with Dwayne's way of handling things. Maybe later when I train and
recruit more localizers I will focus on more tech stuff!
And good luck for Limerick!!

Cheers
Ibrahima