Firefox as environment for accessibility

Firefox as environment for accessibility

aurelien.levy@gmail.com
Hi,

here is some of my reflexion about firefox as an environment for
accessibility

Firefox is a great platform to increase access to the web for people
with disability. Yes, currently the support of screenreader isn't
perfect (even if i think that with Firefox 3 this problem will be
resolved with the help of the incredible work done by Aaron) but
screenreader is just one of the needs of people with disability. There
is a lot of firefox addons out there covering this different
accessibility issues and the testing accessibility side for developers
(like the XUL accessibility tool or accessibility toolbar). Some of
them can be  found http://accessfirefox.com/

I think Mozilla must increase the visibility of this extension and
maybe provide official support or integrate them as core
functionality. First thing to do is I think to add an accessibility
category for the themes and extensions in the addons website.

Then, as i say i think that some of them must be officially supported
for features like :
- zoom
- a big icons theme
- a dark color theme
- an easy to use interface to change page layout (maybe like opera do)
- alternate navigation method like no click interface, automatic focus
- screenreader (aka Firevox)

Maybe some good way to support them is to propose an accessibility tab
in firefox options where the   officially supported accessibility
themes and extension  is listed to have an quick and easy way to turn
it on (and maybe there is a need to access to this interface during
the installation period asking : Did you need accessibility
feature ?).

Best regards,
A.Levy

Re: Firefox as environment for accessibility

Steve Lee-3
> I think Mozilla must increase the visibility of this extension and
> maybe provide official support or integrate them as core
> functionality.

I once raised bug 375968 to suggest the starting page and/or home page
had a link to accessfirefox. Perhaps we could bump it somehow to see
what people think of that compared to your ideas in the UI?

--
Steve Lee

Re: Firefox as environment for accessibility

James Nam
On Sep 10, 3:57 pm, "[hidden email]"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> here is some of my reflexion about firefox as an environment for
> accessibility
>
> Firefox is a great platform to increase access to the web for people
> with disability. Yes, currently the support of screenreader isn't
> perfect (even if i think that with Firefox 3 this problem will be
> resolved with the help of the incredible work done by Aaron) but
> screenreader is just one of the needs of people with disability. There
> is a lot of firefox addons out there covering this different
> accessibility issues and the testing accessibility side for developers
> (like the XUL accessibility tool or accessibility toolbar). Some of
> them can be  foundhttp://accessfirefox.com/
>
> I think Mozilla must increase the visibility of this extension and
> maybe provide official support or integrate them as core
> functionality. First thing to do is I think to add an accessibility
> category for the themes and extensions in the addons website.
>
> Then, as i say i think that some of them must be officially supported
> for features like :
> - zoom
> - a big icons theme
> - a dark color theme
> - an easy to use interface to change page layout (maybe like opera do)
> - alternate navigation method like no click interface, automatic focus
> - screenreader (aka Firevox)
>
> Maybe some good way to support them is to propose an accessibility tab
> in firefox options where the   officially supported accessibility
> themes and extension  is listed to have an quick and easy way to turn
> it on (and maybe there is a need to access to this interface during
> the installation period asking : Did you need accessibility
> feature ?).
>
> Best regards,
> A.Levy

Hello Aurelien,
Like I've indicated before and support your views but the problem I
see is the lack of training available to developers who actually
produce the content served on the internet. There is so much a tool
can do and therefore limits its usefulness on the coding style
applied. I've come across this many times and feel that using Firefox
to surf the internet as an accessibile vehicle for the impaired is the
wrong message. We should focus on the compatitability of Firefox with
the assistance of extensions to view accessible content. Just making
accessible tools available does help but from actual testing can
confuse a visually impaired user with extraneous material beyond the
scope of interest. I think a close relationship to proper tags with
the use of accessible tools be more the focus unless there is a
consolidated portal for this i'm not aware of. Let me know if I can be
of any help.
Thanks!
James