Firefox and Ubuntu touch ?

psychojau
Hello,

I love firefox and I'm using it from the beginning. The problem is : I'm a ubuntu user and I would like to continue using all this stuff when Mir is released. And It would be great to have it on Ubuntu Touch too. It would be very usefull to be able to sync.  [-o<

Anyway,
"bonne journée à tous"

Re: Firefox and Ubuntu touch ?

Philip Chee
On 02/02/2015 20:59, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I love firefox and I'm using it from the beginning. The problem is :
> I'm a ubuntu user and I would like to continue using all this stuff
> when Mir is released. And It would be great to have it on Ubuntu
> Touch too. It would be very usefull to be able to sync.  [-o<

Currently the market share for Ubuntu Phone is 0.00%. Committing
engineering resources to this would be premature.

Phil

--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ http://xsidebar.mozdev.org

Re: Firefox and Ubuntu touch ?

Bjoern Hoehrmann
* Philip Chee wrote:
>On 02/02/2015 20:59, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I love firefox and I'm using it from the beginning. The problem is :
>> I'm a ubuntu user and I would like to continue using all this stuff
>> when Mir is released. And It would be great to have it on Ubuntu
>> Touch too. It would be very usefull to be able to sync.  [-o<
>
>Currently the market share for Ubuntu Phone is 0.00%. Committing
>engineering resources to this would be premature.

(Actually, committing engineering resources depends on projections for
future market share, not on current market share; otherwise you would
be disadvantaged by entering or leaving a market late, for instance.)
D-10243 Berlin · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
 Available for hire in Berlin (early 2015)  · http://www.websitedev.de/

Re: Firefox and Ubuntu touch ?

Doug Turner-4
It’s probably not that hard to get something up and running quick.  It will be much harder to make something wonderful to use.

I look forward to someone trying to tackle this port.  If you’re that person, happy to discuss technical details.

Doug Turner
Someone who’s ported to many 0.0% market share mobile platforms.

> On Feb 2, 2015, at 4:59 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I love firefox and I'm using it from the beginning. The problem is : I'm a ubuntu user and I would like to continue using all this stuff when Mir is released. And It would be great to have it on Ubuntu Touch too. It would be very usefull to be able to sync.  [-o<
>
> Anyway,
> "bonne journée à tous"

Re: Firefox and Ubuntu touch ?

Benjamin Kerensa
Ubuntu for Phone is built around Qt porting Firefox would be a lot of work
and maintaining it even more energy. Canonical already has built
a browser around Chromium and AFAIK they are still planning for
mobile to converge with desktop at which point I assume that
browser will replace Firefox as the default.

Oxide/Ubuntu Web Browser:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Oxide/BuildInstructions
http://www.iwillfolo.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Ubuntu-14.10-web-browser.jpg
(Screenshot of Oxide running on Ubuntu Desktop)

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 9:34 PM, Doug Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It’s probably not that hard to get something up and running quick.  It will be much harder to make something wonderful to use.
>
> I look forward to someone trying to tackle this port.  If you’re that person, happy to discuss technical details.
>
> Doug Turner
> Someone who’s ported to many 0.0% market share mobile platforms.
>
>> On Feb 2, 2015, at 4:59 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I love firefox and I'm using it from the beginning. The problem is : I'm a ubuntu user and I would like to continue using all this stuff when Mir is released. And It would be great to have it on Ubuntu Touch too. It would be very usefull to be able to sync.  [-o<
>>
>> Anyway,
>> "bonne journée à tous"

Re: Firefox and Ubuntu touch ?

Chris Coulson-2
Hi,

On 20/02/15 03:14, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
> Ubuntu for Phone is built around Qt porting Firefox would be a lot of work
> and maintaining it even more energy. Canonical already has built
> a browser around Chromium and AFAIK they are still planning for
> mobile to converge with desktop at which point I assume that
> browser will replace Firefox as the default.
I don't think that has even been discussed yet, and if it ever happens
then it's going to be a very long way off. There's still a significant
amount of work to do to make it a useful desktop browser and it's not
something that anyone is focused on right now AFAIK.

Regards
- Chris
(Lead developer of the web engine library on Ubuntu phone)

> Oxide/Ubuntu Web Browser:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Oxide/BuildInstructions
> http://www.iwillfolo.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Ubuntu-14.10-web-browser.jpg
> (Screenshot of Oxide running on Ubuntu Desktop)
>

> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 9:34 PM, Doug Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It’s probably not that hard to get something up and running quick.  It will be much harder to make something wonderful to use.
>>
>> I look forward to someone trying to tackle this port.  If you’re that person, happy to discuss technical details.
>>
>> Doug Turner
>> Someone who’s ported to many 0.0% market share mobile platforms.
>>
>>> On Feb 2, 2015, at 4:59 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I love firefox and I'm using it from the beginning. The problem is : I'm a ubuntu user and I would like to continue using all this stuff when Mir is released. And It would be great to have it on Ubuntu Touch too. It would be very usefull to be able to sync.  [-o<
>>>
>>> Anyway,
>>> "bonne journée à tous"

Re: Firefox and Ubuntu touch ?

sabret00the
But Qt is quite widely supported right? It's certainly worth considering Qt as the base of our Linux approach if it means we could ship a single universal browser for both touch and desktop. The discussion will need to be raised for Windows too with their universal apps and thus being able to ship to mobile users as well as desktop users with a single effort. Maybe I've not thought this through enough but the only downside I can think of is the initial additional effort required, but after that it gives us much longer term opportunities and in new markets.

On Friday, 20 February 2015 03:14:56 UTC, Benjamin Kerensa  wrote:

> Ubuntu for Phone is built around Qt porting Firefox would be a lot of work
> and maintaining it even more energy. Canonical already has built
> a browser around Chromium and AFAIK they are still planning for
> mobile to converge with desktop at which point I assume that
> browser will replace Firefox as the default.
>
> Oxide/Ubuntu Web Browser:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Oxide/BuildInstructions
> http://www.iwillfolo.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Ubuntu-14.10-web-browser.jpg
> (Screenshot of Oxide running on Ubuntu Desktop)
>

> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 9:34 PM, Doug Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It's probably not that hard to get something up and running quick.  It will be much harder to make something wonderful to use.
> >
> > I look forward to someone trying to tackle this port.  If you're that person, happy to discuss technical details.
> >
> > Doug Turner
> > Someone who's ported to many 0.0% market share mobile platforms.
> >
> >> On Feb 2, 2015, at 4:59 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I love firefox and I'm using it from the beginning. The problem is : I'm a ubuntu user and I would like to continue using all this stuff when Mir is released. And It would be great to have it on Ubuntu Touch too. It would be very usefull to be able to sync.  [-o<
> >>
> >> Anyway,
> >> "bonne journée à tous"

Re: Firefox and Ubuntu touch ?

Philip Chee
On 22/02/2015 23:05, Paul [sabret00the] wrote:
> But Qt is quite widely supported right? It's certainly worth
> considering Qt as the base of our Linux approach if it means we could
> ship a single universal browser for both touch and desktop. The
> discussion will need to be raised for Windows too with their
> universal apps and thus being able to ship to mobile users as well as
> desktop users with a single effort. Maybe I've not thought this
> through enough but the only downside I can think of is the initial
> additional effort required, but after that it gives us much longer
> term opportunities and in new markets.

There actually is or was a Qt port of Firefox in a Qt quondam, Qtque
futurus sort of way. The Firefox on Qt port has been periodically
abandoned and revived. I think in the recent past a Nokia employee was
submitting Qt patches[1]. It shouldn't be too hard (for someone familiar
with the codebase) to get something working again.

[1] Wasn't the Raspberry Pi port Qt based?

Phil

--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ http://xsidebar.mozdev.org

Re: Firefox and Ubuntu touch ?

Robert Kaiser
Benjamin Kerensa schrieb:
> Ubuntu for Phone is built around Qt porting Firefox would be a lot of work
> and maintaining it even more energy.

AFAIK, the Jolla/Sailfish default browser is built around an embedded form of Gecko, and they are based on Qt as well.

KaiRo