Firefox and Flash...?

Martin Rosenfeld-2
Dave Yeo, Everyone,

Can you offer an educated guess about the use of Flash in Firefox? There
are many sites that are useless to me in OS/2 (eCS) because Adobe Flash
does not work. I know that Flash is obsolete and we don't need it
anymore, but that is not my experience in the real world. Will Flash
ever work right in Firefox or should I just forget it?

Martin Rosenfeld

Re: Firefox and Flash...?

Steve Wendt
On 5/2/2016 10:40 AM, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:

> Can you offer an educated guess about the use of Flash in Firefox?

You could try Shumway, and let us know if it works:
http://mozilla.github.io/shumway/

> Will Flash ever work right in Firefox or should I just forget it?

You can probably forget about the Win32 plugin working well.

Re: Firefox and Flash...?

Martin Rosenfeld-2
Steve,

>> Can you offer an educated guess about the use of Flash in Firefox?
>
> You could try Shumway, and let us know if it works:
> http://mozilla.github.io/shumway/

Thanks for the suggestion to try Shumway. I installed it, but I have no
idea how to get it to play a Flash video. Can anyone help me?

Martin

Re: Firefox and Flash...?

Steve Wendt
On 5/2/2016 12:08 PM, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion to try Shumway. I installed it, but I have no
> idea how to get it to play a Flash video. Can anyone help me?

No idea if they have any intention of supporting video; most sites are
moving toward HTML5 video.

Re: Firefox and Flash...?

Martin Rosenfeld-2
 > Thanks for the suggestion to try Shumway. I installed it, but I have
no>> idea how to > get it to play a Flash video. Can anyone help me?> >
No idea if they have any
. intention of supporting video; most sites are > moving toward HTML5 video.

I think I used the term video incorrectly. I want something that will
support ads and news clips and downloads that require Flash support. To
me, video is a movie. I am not interested in movies in OS/2.

What is Shumway supposed to do? Is it a sort of substitute for Flash?

Martin

Re: Firefox and Flash...?

Steve Wendt
On 5/2/2016 1:01 PM, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:

> What is Shumway supposed to do? Is it a sort of substitute for Flash?

That's the idea.

Re: Firefox and Flash...?

Dave Yeo-3
On 05/02/16 12:08 PM, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:

> Steve,
>
>>> Can you offer an educated guess about the use of Flash in Firefox?
>>
>> You could try Shumway, and let us know if it works:
>> http://mozilla.github.io/shumway/
>
> Thanks for the suggestion to try Shumway. I installed it, but I have no
> idea how to get it to play a Flash video. Can anyone help me?

Try updating to this test version of Firefox,
http://rpm.netlabs.org/test/tx2.zip along with t.zip from the same
directory and install the DLLs from
https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/libav/downloads/libav_10_7.7z into your
LIBPATH, then remove FLASH and test. with any luck most sites will serve
up the MP4 video/AAC audio that most mobile browsers use.
As Steve said, Bitwise has no interest in maintaining Flash anymore and
it is just going to deteriorate more and more.
Dave

Re: Firefox and Flash...?

Martin Rosenfeld-2
Dave,

> Try updating to this test version of Firefox,
> http://rpm.netlabs.org/test/tx2.zip along with t.zip from the same
> directory and install the DLLs from
> https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/libav/downloads/libav_10_7.7z into your
> LIBPATH, then remove FLASH and test. with any luck most sites will serve
> up the MP4 video/AAC audio that most mobile browsers use.

Please help me here. T.ZIP contains a version of Firefox. TX2.ZIP
contains xul.dll. Should I put this in with the test Firefox instead of
its own XUL?

How should I handle LIBAV_10_7? Can I just put it in a directory and add
the directory to my libpath?

Martin

Re: Firefox and Flash...?

Dave Yeo-3
Martin Rosenfeld wrote:

> Dave,
>
>> Try updating to this test version of Firefox,
>> http://rpm.netlabs.org/test/tx2.zip along with t.zip from the same
>> directory and install the DLLs from
>> https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/libav/downloads/libav_10_7.7z into your
>> LIBPATH, then remove FLASH and test. with any luck most sites will serve
>> up the MP4 video/AAC audio that most mobile browsers use.
>
> Please help me here. T.ZIP contains a version of Firefox. TX2.ZIP
> contains xul.dll. Should I put this in with the test Firefox instead of
> its own XUL?

Yes

> How should I handle LIBAV_10_7? Can I just put it in a directory and add
> the directory to my libpath?

Sure that'll work, Firefox just needs to find the DLLs.
Note that I haven't actually tested that test build but MP4 playback
works fine with my own build.
Dave

Re: Firefox and Flash...?

Karen Roberts
On 05/02/16 05:05 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:

> Martin Rosenfeld wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>>> Try updating to this test version of Firefox,
>>> http://rpm.netlabs.org/test/tx2.zip along with t.zip from the same
>>> directory and install the DLLs from
>>> https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/libav/downloads/libav_10_7.7z into your
>>> LIBPATH, then remove FLASH and test. with any luck most sites will serve
>>> up the MP4 video/AAC audio that most mobile browsers use.
>>
>> Please help me here. T.ZIP contains a version of Firefox. TX2.ZIP
>> contains xul.dll. Should I put this in with the test Firefox instead of
>> its own XUL?
>
> Yes
>

>> How should I handle LIBAV_10_7? Can I just put it in a directory and add
>> the directory to my libpath?
>
> Sure that'll work, Firefox just needs to find the DLLs.
> Note that I haven't actually tested that test build but MP4 playback
> works fine with my own build.
> Dave

Is this related to the error "Couldn't find NSPR4.DLL. Probably
unsupported browser." ? I always get that error now when I start
Firefox, then sometime Firefox crashes, other times it runs for a while.

Thanks,
Karen

--
Karen Roberts

Re: Firefox and Flash...?

Steve Wendt
On 5/25/2016 4:58 PM, Karen Roberts wrote:

> Is this related to the error "Couldn't find NSPR4.DLL. Probably
> unsupported browser." ? I always get that error now when I start
> Firefox, then sometime Firefox crashes, other times it runs for a while.

If I remember correctly, that comes from the Flash plugin.  I'd follow
Dave's suggestion of removing that plugin, unless you have a specific
need for it.