Quantcast

Firefox URL encoding

dennis-40
Hi,

How is firefox supposed encode entered URLs with international (non
US-ASCII) characters?

I'm observing that my firefox 1.0.7 encodes the characters with
iso-8859-1, probably because it's the default charset on my OS, but
according to http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt it should be encoded
with UTF-8.

MSIE 6 also seems to encode with UTF-8. This means that it's impossible
to configure a web server to accept requests from both browsers
correctly, unless people change their firefox settings (if such a
setting exists - haven't checked).

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

-dennis

Re: Firefox URL encoding / not compatible with RFC 3986 ?

TestMan-2
[hidden email] a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> How is firefox supposed encode entered URLs with international (non
> US-ASCII) characters?
>
> I'm observing that my firefox 1.0.7 encodes the characters with
> iso-8859-1, probably because it's the default charset on my OS, but
> according to http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt it should be encoded
> with UTF-8.
>
> MSIE 6 also seems to encode with UTF-8. This means that it's impossible
> to configure a web server to accept requests from both browsers
> correctly, unless people change their firefox settings (if such a
> setting exists - haven't checked).
>
> Am I missing something here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -dennis

Hi Dennis,

Opera, Safari, InternetExplorer (including 5.0,5.5,6.0,7.0), ...

All of them send by default an URL typed manually in the address bar as
UTF-8 percentage encoded as specified in the RFC 3986.

Right, but Firefox send it by default as ISO-8859-1 :(

I got no idea why Firefox is doing this ... and the "rest of the world"
not. Who got it right ?

Well according to this :
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2005-January/004244.html
RFC 3986 is the standard since January 2005 !

So, ladies and gents, we got a problem with the current default Firefox
setup IMHO.

Ok, I though switching the intl.charset.default from iso-8859-1 to utf-8
would do the trick ... but it is not working at all :(

Guys, anybody can fix this and bring us a RFC 3986 compatible firefox ?

Best Rgs,
TM

Re: Firefox URL encoding / not compatible with RFC 3986 ?

Jean-Marc Desperrier
TestMan wrote:
> Opera, Safari, InternetExplorer (including 5.0,5.5,6.0,7.0), ...
>
> All of them send by default an URL typed manually in the address bar as
> UTF-8 percentage encoded as specified in the RFC 3986.
>
> I got no idea why Firefox is doing this ... and the "rest of the world"
> not. Who got it right ?

The rest of the world used to do it the same as Firefox.
I think IE 6 does it by default the old way, didn't the defaut get
changed at some point on your configuration ?

> Ok, I though switching the intl.charset.default from iso-8859-1 to utf-8
> would do the trick ... but it is not working at all :(
>
> Guys, anybody can fix this and bring us a RFC 3986 compatible firefox ?

Trunks sends UTF-8 by default (but not query parameters at least by
default).

In about:config, change the "network.standard-url.encode-utf8" parameter
to true if you want utf-8 encoded urls in Fx 2.

In Fx 3, this will be network.standard-url.encode-utf8 (true by default)
and network.standard-url.encode-query-utf8 (false by default).