Firefox Page Zooming Flaw

Ken Saunders-2
Hi all,
This is actually an old issue that for some reason I have never
brought it up before.
I guess that it's because recently I am having to zoom in on web pages
more than usual.
I don't use a minimum font size because I first would like to see a
web page the way that the developer intended it to look like and it's
no secret that zooming in on a web page can distort the page's layout.
It takes just a mere few seconds to zoom the page via my Page Zoom
Buttons so I generally don't mind however, I lose the view point that
I am focused on after zooming in. I then have to scroll usually quite
a bit to find the place that I was focused on if I'm able to find it
at all. Sometimes I will have to zoom in, scroll, zoom in, scroll, and
continue incrementally until I can get the view point that I need.
This issue also and usually makes page name attributes useless as the
page zooming throws things off.
I can't imagine what can be done to rectify this issue.
Perhaps the technology that powers Glazoom can be applied. Glazoom by
the way is an extension that can zoom in on a page without losing your
viewpoint.
I use Page Zoom Buttons because I prefer to have a larger toolbar
button rather than the small ones in the status bar that Glazoom
offers. I can also zoom in, zoom out, and reset a page from one single
toolbar button which I believe is more accessible than trying to focus
my cursor on tiny buttons.
I am grateful to and I will give credit to Daniel Glazman for choosing
a Mozilla Public License for Glazoom. It will open up doors to perhaps
integrate the zoom in on viewpoint feature into Page Zoom Buttons.

Now I turn to you all and ask, what does it take and what is required
to fix this Firefox page zoom flaw?
Thanks for your time.
Ken

Glazoom
Page Zoom Buttons

Re: Firefox Page Zooming Flaw

Aaron Leventhal-3
Ken,

Thanks for bringing this up. I suggest filing a bug on the issue,
because the layout developers who worked on Zoom will be interested in
the issue but probably don't read the Mozilla accessibility newsgroup.

Feel free to CC any of the accessibility folks so we can help make sure
it gets looked at.

- Aaron

Ken Saunders wrote:

> Hi all,
> This is actually an old issue that for some reason I have never
> brought it up before.
> I guess that it's because recently I am having to zoom in on web pages
> more than usual.
> I don't use a minimum font size because I first would like to see a
> web page the way that the developer intended it to look like and it's
> no secret that zooming in on a web page can distort the page's layout.
> It takes just a mere few seconds to zoom the page via my Page Zoom
> Buttons so I generally don't mind however, I lose the view point that
> I am focused on after zooming in. I then have to scroll usually quite
> a bit to find the place that I was focused on if I'm able to find it
> at all. Sometimes I will have to zoom in, scroll, zoom in, scroll, and
> continue incrementally until I can get the view point that I need.
> This issue also and usually makes page name attributes useless as the
> page zooming throws things off.
> I can't imagine what can be done to rectify this issue.
> Perhaps the technology that powers Glazoom can be applied. Glazoom by
> the way is an extension that can zoom in on a page without losing your
> viewpoint.
> I use Page Zoom Buttons because I prefer to have a larger toolbar
> button rather than the small ones in the status bar that Glazoom
> offers. I can also zoom in, zoom out, and reset a page from one single
> toolbar button which I believe is more accessible than trying to focus
> my cursor on tiny buttons.
> I am grateful to and I will give credit to Daniel Glazman for choosing
> a Mozilla Public License for Glazoom. It will open up doors to perhaps
> integrate the zoom in on viewpoint feature into Page Zoom Buttons.
>
> Now I turn to you all and ask, what does it take and what is required
> to fix this Firefox page zoom flaw?
> Thanks for your time.
> Ken
>
> Glazoom
> Page Zoom Buttons

Re: Firefox Page Zooming Flaw

Ken Saunders-2
Thank you Aaron.
A little guidance is all that I was looking for.

On Aug 1, 8:06 pm, Aaron Leventhal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ken,
>
> Thanks for bringing this up. I suggest filing a bug on the issue,
> because the layout developers who worked on Zoom will be interested in
> the issue but probably don't read the Mozilla accessibility newsgroup.
>
> Feel free to CC any of the accessibility folks so we can help make sure
> it gets looked at.
>
> - Aaron
>
> Ken Saunders wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > This is actually an old issue that for some reason I have never
> > brought it up before.
> > I guess that it's because recently I am having to zoom in on web pages
> > more than usual.
> > I don't use a minimum font size because I first would like to see a
> > web page the way that the developer intended it to look like and it's
> > no secret that zooming in on a web page can distort the page's layout.
> > It takes just a mere few seconds to zoom the page via my Page Zoom
> > Buttons so I generally don't mind however, I lose the view point that
> > I am focused on after zooming in. I then have to scroll usually quite
> > a bit to find the place that I was focused on if I'm able to find it
> > at all. Sometimes I will have to zoom in, scroll, zoom in, scroll, and
> > continue incrementally until I can get the view point that I need.
> > This issue also and usually makes page name attributes useless as the
> > page zooming throws things off.
> > I can't imagine what can be done to rectify this issue.
> > Perhaps the technology that powers Glazoom can be applied. Glazoom by
> > the way is an extension that can zoom in on a page without losing your
> > viewpoint.
> > I use Page Zoom Buttons because I prefer to have a larger toolbar
> > button rather than the small ones in the status bar that Glazoom
> > offers. I can also zoom in, zoom out, and reset a page from one single
> > toolbar button which I believe is more accessible than trying to focus
> > my cursor on tiny buttons.
> > I am grateful to and I will give credit to Daniel Glazman for choosing
> > a Mozilla Public License for Glazoom. It will open up doors to perhaps
> > integrate the zoom in on viewpoint feature into Page Zoom Buttons.
>
> > Now I turn to you all and ask, what does it take and what is required
> > to fix this Firefox page zoom flaw?
> > Thanks for your time.
> > Ken
>
> > Glazoom
> >https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6489
> > Page Zoom Buttons
> >https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6827

Re: Firefox Page Zooming Flaw

Stanimir Stamenkov-3
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:23:36 -0700 (PDT), /Ken Saunders/:
[...]
> no secret that zooming in on a web page can distort the page's layout.
> It takes just a mere few seconds to zoom the page via my Page Zoom
> Buttons so I generally don't mind however, I lose the view point that
> I am focused on after zooming in. I then have to scroll usually quite
> a bit to find the place that I was focused on if I'm able to find it
> at all.
[...]

Which Firefox version are you using?  I think the Firefox 3 full
zoom feature should deal with all these points pretty nicely.

--
Stanimir

Re: Firefox Page Zooming Flaw

Stanimir Stamenkov-3
Sun, 03 Aug 2008 23:57:06 +0300, /Stanimir Stamenkov/:

> Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:23:36 -0700 (PDT), /Ken Saunders/:
> [...]
>> no secret that zooming in on a web page can distort the page's layout.
>> It takes just a mere few seconds to zoom the page via my Page Zoom
>> Buttons so I generally don't mind however, I lose the view point that
>> I am focused on after zooming in. I then have to scroll usually quite
>> a bit to find the place that I was focused on if I'm able to find it
>> at all.
> [...]
>
> Which Firefox version are you using?  I think the Firefox 3 full zoom
> feature should deal with all these points pretty nicely.

But looking at it more, the full zoom actually doesn't solve the
problem.

--
Stanimir