Firefox OS l10n

Michal Stanke
Hi.

I would like to make sure how will the yesterdays announcement of
refocusing Firefox OS affect l10n? Is the release cycle going to be
stopped entirely, everything staying in master, or no change in fact, as
TVs are still there?

Definitely we are going to lower the project priority for now, and find
a new way for Michal Vašíček how to get involved, but not sure if we can
"kill" FxOS entirely for some time.

Cheers
--
Michal Stanke

Re: Firefox OS l10n

Delphine L
Hi Michal,

Thanks for reaching out about this. Comments inline

Le mercredi 9 décembre 2015 14:01:52 UTC-5, Michal Stanke a écrit :
> Hi.
>
> I would like to make sure how will the yesterdays announcement of
> refocusing Firefox OS affect l10n? Is the release cycle going to be
> stopped entirely, everything staying in master, or no change in fact, as
> TVs are still there?

No we're not stopping the release cycle, master is still master and stays on the same schedule.

Basically, we're moving from a model where partners are shipping devices, to a model where Mozilla is going to do a bunch of experiments on different devices, still based on Firefox OS.

TVs are in fact very likely to be one of these devices, and we don't know yet what the rest will be.

> Definitely we are going to lower the project priority for now, and find
> a new way for Michal Vašíček how to get involved, but not sure if we can
> "kill" FxOS entirely for some time.

Yes, please do that for now, that's the good approach. We need to get more clarity during the upcoming days/week - and we'll of course keep you updated here.

In the meantime, we're continuing the testing cycle on 2.5. Nothing changes for that. A total of 42 locales are going to be covered (both by internal testers + community) - which is a lot! :)

Thanks for your ongoing effort with this. Stay tuned for more info!

cheers

> Cheers
> --
> Michal Stanke

Re: Firefox OS l10n

Delphine L
Official blog post from Mozilla now online: https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/12/09/firefox-os-pivot-to-connected-devices/

Re: Firefox OS l10n

Rimas Kudelis

so, will there be any further announcements/clarifications about the
status of Firefox OS?

I haven't worked on it for the past couple releases, and now I'm left
wondering if it makes any sense to resume that work anytime soon. Does
"[we are] stopping our work to build and ship smartphones through
carrier partners" mean that we won't target smartphones at all, or what?
Is Firefox OS becoming a research project from now on, as opposed to a
product? Does it make any sense to localize it, especially if we're
talking about a language of a country where FxOS devices were never
officially introduced?

Regards,
Rimas

2015-12-09 22:07, delphine wrote:

> Hi Michal,
>
> Thanks for reaching out about this. Comments inline
>
> Le mercredi 9 décembre 2015 14:01:52 UTC-5, Michal Stanke a écrit :
>> Hi.
>>
>> I would like to make sure how will the yesterdays announcement of
>> refocusing Firefox OS affect l10n? Is the release cycle going to be
>> stopped entirely, everything staying in master, or no change in fact, as
>> TVs are still there?
>
> No we're not stopping the release cycle, master is still master and stays on the same schedule.
>
> Basically, we're moving from a model where partners are shipping devices, to a model where Mozilla is going to do a bunch of experiments on different devices, still based on Firefox OS.
>
> TVs are in fact very likely to be one of these devices, and we don't know yet what the rest will be.
>

>> Definitely we are going to lower the project priority for now, and find
>> a new way for Michal Vašíček how to get involved, but not sure if we can
>> "kill" FxOS entirely for some time.
>
> Yes, please do that for now, that's the good approach. We need to get more clarity during the upcoming days/week - and we'll of course keep you updated here.
>
> In the meantime, we're continuing the testing cycle on 2.5. Nothing changes for that. A total of 42 locales are going to be covered (both by internal testers + community) - which is a lot! :)
>
> Thanks for your ongoing effort with this. Stay tuned for more info!
>
> cheers
>

>> Cheers
>> --
>> Michal Stanke

Re: Firefox OS l10n

Axel Hecht
The foxfooding program continues, and you should translate Fx OS if that
makes sense to you within that context. I.e., you're participating
yourself, or some in your community do.

There are currently no reasons to localize Fx OS outside of that scope,
so feel free to use your time with other projects.

Axel

On 16.12.15 09:45, Rimas Kudelis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> so, will there be any further announcements/clarifications about the
> status of Firefox OS?
>
> I haven't worked on it for the past couple releases, and now I'm left
> wondering if it makes any sense to resume that work anytime soon. Does
> "[we are] stopping our work to build and ship smartphones through
> carrier partners" mean that we won't target smartphones at all, or what?
> Is Firefox OS becoming a research project from now on, as opposed to a
> product? Does it make any sense to localize it, especially if we're
> talking about a language of a country where FxOS devices were never
> officially introduced?
>
> Regards,
> Rimas
>
> 2015-12-09 22:07, delphine wrote:
>> Hi Michal,
>>
>> Thanks for reaching out about this. Comments inline
>>
>> Le mercredi 9 décembre 2015 14:01:52 UTC-5, Michal Stanke a écrit :
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I would like to make sure how will the yesterdays announcement of
>>> refocusing Firefox OS affect l10n? Is the release cycle going to be
>>> stopped entirely, everything staying in master, or no change in fact, as
>>> TVs are still there?
>>
>> No we're not stopping the release cycle, master is still master and stays on the same schedule.
>>
>> Basically, we're moving from a model where partners are shipping devices, to a model where Mozilla is going to do a bunch of experiments on different devices, still based on Firefox OS.
>>
>> TVs are in fact very likely to be one of these devices, and we don't know yet what the rest will be.
>>

>>> Definitely we are going to lower the project priority for now, and find
>>> a new way for Michal Vašíček how to get involved, but not sure if we can
>>> "kill" FxOS entirely for some time.
>>
>> Yes, please do that for now, that's the good approach. We need to get more clarity during the upcoming days/week - and we'll of course keep you updated here.
>>
>> In the meantime, we're continuing the testing cycle on 2.5. Nothing changes for that. A total of 42 locales are going to be covered (both by internal testers + community) - which is a lot! :)
>>
>> Thanks for your ongoing effort with this. Stay tuned for more info!
>>
>> cheers
>>

>>> Cheers
>>> --
>>> Michal Stanke

Re: Firefox OS l10n

Chris Hofmann-2
Adding a few more details below...

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 3:43 AM, Axel Hecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The foxfooding program continues, and you should translate Fx OS if that
> makes sense to you within that context. I.e., you're participating
> yourself, or some in your community do.
>
> There are currently no reasons to localize Fx OS outside of that scope, so
> feel free to use your time with other projects.
>
> Axel
>

> On 16.12.15 09:45, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> so, will there be any further announcements/clarifications about the
>> status of Firefox OS?
>>
>> I haven't worked on it for the past couple releases, and now I'm left
>> wondering if it makes any sense to resume that work anytime soon. Does
>> "[we are] stopping our work to build and ship smartphones through
>> carrier partners" mean that we won't target smartphones at all, or what?
>> Is Firefox OS becoming a research project

Yes, that's a good way to look at it for now.

There will be a 'core' of technology (yet to be defined precisely) that
would
be used to experiment on a variety of different Internet of Things
devices.
If things work out as planned there might be 4 or 5 different device
experiments
running at a time.

The 'foxfood' smartphone device and TV are likely candidates to get
started, but
more work is required to define which set of target devices might
get focus first, and what software and localizable content might be
targeted for each of the devices.

> from now on, as opposed to a
>> product?

No current plans for any products, but that might come after some
successful experiments.

> Does it make any sense to localize it, especially if we're
>> talking about a language of a country where FxOS devices were never
>> officially introduced?

For locales that don't have a lot of contributors that could help with
localization
or participate in experiments and development I'd say its a good strategy
to hold off until more is know about how all this will work.

-chofmann