Firefox OS Simulator and languages

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
Hi,
can someone help me finding out how languages are included in the
Firefox OS Simulator (or who I can talk to to find out)?

Out of curiosity I've just downloaded version 3.0 and you can choose
only among 10 languages. Personally I think this would be a great tool
for QA localization (no need to use command line, git, etc.).

Francesco

Re: Firefox OS Simulator and languages

Julen Ruiz Aizpuru
or., 2013.eko mairen 03a 09:21(e)an, Francesco Lodolo [:flod](e)k idatzi
zuen:
> Hi,
> can someone help me finding out how languages are included in the
> Firefox OS Simulator (or who I can talk to to find out)?

I'd bet that's:
https://github.com/mozilla/r2d2b2g/blob/master/build/languages.json

> Out of curiosity I've just downloaded version 3.0 and you can choose
> only among 10 languages. Personally I think this would be a great tool
> for QA localization (no need to use command line, git, etc.).

+1 on this.
Asking would-be testers to setup a build environment is overkill. Same
for actual phones, but that's a separate story I guess.

Julen.

Re: Firefox OS Simulator and languages

KAMI911 KAMI911

I agree. For first version I manually hacked thge language files, but It
would be better to automatically provide them with the latest version.

KAMI

Il 03/05/13 09:46, Julen Ruiz Aizpuru ha scritto:
> I'd bet that's:
> https://github.com/mozilla/r2d2b2g/blob/master/build/languages.json
I think so. Snooping around I also see this, so it looks like strings
are coming from the gaia-l10n repository
https://github.com/mozilla/r2d2b2g/blob/master/build/make-locales.py

I wonder if opening a new issue on GitHub is the right way to go.

Francesco

Re: Firefox OS Simulator and languages

Axel Hecht
On 5/3/13 10:07 AM, Francesco Lodolo [:flod] wrote:

> Il 03/05/13 09:46, Julen Ruiz Aizpuru ha scritto:
>> I'd bet that's:
>> https://github.com/mozilla/r2d2b2g/blob/master/build/languages.json
> I think so. Snooping around I also see this, so it looks like strings
> are coming from the gaia-l10n repository
> https://github.com/mozilla/r2d2b2g/blob/master/build/make-locales.py
>
> I wonder if opening a new issue on GitHub is the right way to go.
>
> Francesco

Yeah, github issue would be right. Myk is the guy driving the addon.

That said, I'm not sure how much that wins you, I don't think that addon
updates as frequently as your localizations do?

Asking everybody using that addon for developing apps to update every
day or two doesn't sound very compelling.

On the other hand, if one/two/three of you would maintain a l10n-focused
version, that might be more like it? Different addon-id, more granular
version numbers, different update url would be my thought ad-hoc.

And then figure out how to make that publish often.

If you can get that to work, I bet mrz would be happy to help out with
blockers on infra. I was tempted to say l10n.mozilla-community.org, but
that is already such an overloaded poor baby.

Axel

Il 03/05/13 11:03, Axel Hecht ha scritto:
> That said, I'm not sure how much that wins you, I don't think that
> addon updates as frequently as your localizations do?
> Asking everybody using that addon for developing apps to update every
> day or two doesn't sound very compelling.
Localizations will definitely update more often than the add-on. Talking
from experience, a few minutes on a phone and I realized I had to change
a lot of things in my localization.
Considering how heavy the add-on is in terms of download, I would never
dream of updating it every time a language does some QA.

Besides we have already received some requests on our support forum (the
usual "Why isn't it available in Italian?"), so at least having
localized milestones would help ;-)
I'll try opening a new issue on GitHub to request the inclusion of more
strings and see how it goes.
> On the other hand, if one/two/three of you would maintain a
> l10n-focused version, that might be more like it? Different addon-id,
> more granular version numbers, different update url would be my
> thought ad-hoc.
This could be interesting. I'll try to have a look at the add-on in the
next days and see how it works and if I can build it locally (never
tried that). Suggestions where to ask for help in case I hit a wall
during the process (irc channel, mailing list)?

Francesco

Re: Firefox OS Simulator and languages

Ibrahima Sarr
Hi
Is there a way to test "not-yet-shipped" localizations of Firefox OS on a *real
*phone? Or are we going to be able to hack developer phones to add our onw
locales?
Cheers
Ibrahima

2013/5/3 Francesco Lodolo [:flod] <[hidden email]>

> Il 03/05/13 09:46, Julen Ruiz Aizpuru ha scritto:
>
>  I'd bet that's:
>> https://github.com/mozilla/**r2d2b2g/blob/master/build/**languages.json<https://github.com/mozilla/r2d2b2g/blob/master/build/languages.json>
>>
> I think so. Snooping around I also see this, so it looks like strings are
> coming from the gaia-l10n repository
> https://github.com/mozilla/**r2d2b2g/blob/master/build/**make-locales.py<https://github.com/mozilla/r2d2b2g/blob/master/build/make-locales.py>
>
> I wonder if opening a new issue on GitHub is the right way to go.
>
> Francesco

Re: Firefox OS Simulator and languages

Julen Ruiz Aizpuru
or., 2013.eko mairen 03a 11:41(e)an, Ibraahiima SAAR(e)k idatzi zuen:
> Hi
> Is there a way to test "not-yet-shipped" localizations of Firefox OS on a *real
> *phone? Or are we going to be able to hack developer phones to add our onw
> locales?

These instructions work fine both for a real device and for a desktop build:
http://www.pijusmagnificus.com/2013/04/30/test-your-gaia-localization/

Julen.

Re: Firefox OS Simulator and languages

Ibrahima Sarr
Thanks a lot Julen
That seems real helpful and not too impossible to do. I'd like to know if
there are unofficial lists of phones that would work for this or that have
been successfully flashed by others. Also, are the Firefox OS developper
phones hackable to support a given locale?
Cheers man
Ibrahima

On 5/3/13 2:25 PM, Ibraahiima SAAR wrote:
> Thanks a lot Julen
> That seems real helpful and not too impossible to do. I'd like to know if
> there are unofficial lists of phones that would work for this or that have
> been successfully flashed by others. Also, are the Firefox OS developper
> phones hackable to support a given locale?

The instructions on that blog post should work OK with the geeksphone,
as long as you stay close the build it has on it. I.e., IIRC, you want
to use the 1.0.1 branch for that.

Axel

> Cheers man
> Ibrahima
>

> 2013/5/3 Julen Ruiz Aizpuru <[hidden email]>
>
>> or., 2013.eko mairen 03a 11:41(e)an, Ibraahiima SAAR(e)k idatzi zuen:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> Is there a way to test "not-yet-shipped" localizations of Firefox OS on a
>>> *real
>>> *phone? Or are we going to be able to hack developer phones to add our onw
>>> locales?
>>>

>> These instructions work fine both for a real device and for a desktop
>> build:
>> http://www.pijusmagnificus.**com/2013/04/30/test-your-gaia-**localization/<http://www.pijusmagnificus.com/2013/04/30/test-your-gaia-localization/>
>>
>> Julen.

Re: Firefox OS Simulator and languages

Myk Melez
On 2013/05/03 02:03, Axel Hecht wrote:
> Yeah, github issue would be right. Myk is the guy driving the addon.
And I'm subscribed to this list! So I'm happy to chat here in addition
to responding to GitHub issues.

I did recently add six more locales to the Simulator, which added about
half a megabyte to the package size. And I'm not necessarily opposed to
adding more. But I'm concerned about making the addon even larger, since
it's already very large, and we've been trying to make it smaller.

> That said, I'm not sure how much that wins you, I don't think that
> addon updates as frequently as your localizations do?
Typically, I push a preview build containing the latest development
changes once per week. But sometimes I skip a week or two, or I skip
updating Gaia. So preview builds with updated versions of Gaia can come
out less frequently.

Release builds come out every 1-3 months.

> Asking everybody using that addon for developing apps to update every
> day or two doesn't sound very compelling.
>
> On the other hand, if one/two/three of you would maintain a
> l10n-focused version, that might be more like it? Different addon-id,
> more granular version numbers, different update url would be my
> thought ad-hoc.
>
> And then figure out how to make that publish often.
This is a great idea! And last month I did some work to making building
the Simulator with additional locales much easier. Here's a description
of the process for building with Gaia's "all languages" file and then
packaging your build for distribution to others:

https://github.com/mozilla/r2d2b2g/issues/124#issuecomment-17420895

It's pretty straightforward, and it works on all three primary OSes!
(Use MozillaBuild on Windows.) Plus it doesn't actually require a
compiler, as there's no actual compilation (the process uses
pre-compiled builds of B2G Desktop). So it's worth setting up regular
builds for localizers. And I'm happy to answer questions and
troubleshoot problems as you do so!

-myk

Re: Firefox OS Simulator and languages

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
> I did recently add six more locales to the Simulator, which added about
> half a megabyte to the package size. And I'm not necessarily opposed to
> adding more. But I'm concerned about making the addon even larger, since
> it's already very large, and we've been trying to make it smaller.

Ok, this makes sense. Could you add a note in the description on AMO about
the languages included? This would probably save us a lot of questions.

> This is a great idea! And last month I did some work to making building
> the Simulator with additional locales much easier. Here's a description of
> the process for building with Gaia's "all languages" file and then
> packaging your build for distribution to others:
>
> https://github.com/mozilla/**r2d2b2g/issues/124#**issuecomment-17420895<https://github.com/mozilla/r2d2b2g/issues/124#issuecomment-17420895>
>
> It's pretty straightforward, and it works on all three primary OSes! (Use
> MozillaBuild on Windows.) Plus it doesn't actually require a compiler, as
> there's no actual compilation (the process uses pre-compiled builds of B2G
> Desktop). So it's worth setting up regular builds for localizers. And I'm
> happy to answer questions and troubleshoot problems as you do so!

Great. I'll definitely take a look into it and ping you if I find problems.
Once I see that everything works as expected, I'll try to understand where
to put builds, manage updates, etc.

Francesco

Re: Firefox OS Simulator and languages

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
Hi myk,
great work :-) So far I've tried only on Mac and it works just fine. For
the record, the resulting .xpi is 56.2MB.

Once you've built your first package, will these commands be enough to
update and rebuild?
> cd r2d2b2g
> git pull
> export LOCALES_FILE=${PWD}/gaia/locales/languages_all.json
> make locales
> make build
> make package
My next step will be to try building it on Linux (VM) and Windows (I
need to set-up the environment first on both systems).

About the "l10n-r2d2b2g", I was thinking:

  * Do we want to host it on AMO? TBH I'm not sure about that,
    considering the review process.
  * If not on AMO, where?
  * Should this add-on auto-update or, if you want to update, you just
    download a new .xpi? BTW, we need some way to build the .xpi with a
    different ID, or it will download updates from AMO of the original
    add-on.
  * How often should this add-on be updated? Weekly or less? Building is
    really fast, uploading it somewhere at 30 KB/s is going to take a
    lot more time.

Francesco

Re: Firefox OS Simulator and languages

Sebastian Hengst

Does http://mozdev.org/ accept files so huge?

>   * Should this add-on auto-update or, if you want to update, you just
>     download a new .xpi? BTW, we need some way to build the .xpi with a
>     different ID, or it will download updates from AMO of the original
>     add-on.
If you have an updateURL (which you will need anyway if you don't host
on AMO and want to provide updates), there is no need to change the id.
>   * How often should this add-on be updated? Weekly or less? Building is
>     really fast, uploading it somewhere at 30 KB/s is going to take a
>     lot more time.
As often as possible. The "two updates on Nightly channel per day"
strategy currently supported for the Unagi phone offers a fast workflow
with translating, pushing, and verifying in the product a few hours later.

Sebastian

Il 04/05/13 16:57, Archaeopteryx ha scritto:
> If you have an updateURL (which you will need anyway if you don't host
> on AMO and want to provide updates), there is no need to change the id.
I was worried that Firefox checks the ID anyway on AMO, even if you
provide an updateurl, and finding one there things get complicated.
Unfortunately I didn't find anything useful on MDN to clear this up, but
considering you're also an AMO editor I guess I found my answer ;-)
> As often as possible. The "two updates on Nightly channel per day"
> strategy currently supported for the Unagi phone offers a fast
> workflow with translating, pushing, and verifying in the product a few
> hours later.
That's a lot... Here's what I was thinking.

*Main localizer(s)*

If you're localizing Gaia, you need something quick to check what you're
doing and be sure that you're really fixing things (is this label the
button name or the section title? Will it fit in that tiny space? etc.).

It could be a developer phone where you can push strings directly,
running Gaia inside Firefox and using developer tools, or hack your
language into a desktop build or simulator. That's possible and pretty
easy even if you don't want to mess up your system, e.g. it took me 30
minutes to setup a VM with Debian and build the xpi for Linux.

*Testers (QA)*

That's where I think the simulator will be a powerful tool. You want to
provide people with an easy tool to use, and the add-on format is just
perfect. And that's also why I'm not sure if automatic update is
something you want to provide:

  * occasional users don't want to be constantly bothered with updates
    of 75MB (that's the size of the Linux build). They're just curious
    to test it in their own language, and they won't probably take the
    time to provide feedback on the localization.
  * testers: you want (need) these people to test the localization, find
    errors and provide useful feedback. These users should be willing to
    download an updated .xpi whenever they want to run some tests, and
    you probably won't be updating your localization every day.

Having said that, if you want to have nightly updates you probably need
3 VMs online somewhere, not a simple home computer with an ADSL
connection ;-)

On 5/4/13 6:53 PM, Francesco Lodolo [:flod] wrote:
> Il 04/05/13 16:57, Archaeopteryx ha scritto:
>> If you have an updateURL (which you will need anyway if you don't host
>> on AMO and want to provide updates), there is no need to change the id.
> I was worried that Firefox checks the ID anyway on AMO, even if you
> provide an updateurl, and finding one there things get complicated.
> Unfortunately I didn't find anything useful on MDN to clear this up, but
> considering you're also an AMO editor I guess I found my answer ;-)

https://github.com/mozilla/r2d2b2g/blob/master/addon/package.json has
the ID, so you should be able to tweak that easily. I hope that that's
picked up consistently throughout the build process.

As for hosting, I was thinking about asking IT for some VM resources, if
we have something working. For download space, I'd just ask them for
input. Both of those would solve the upload and download problem.

>> As often as possible. The "two updates on Nightly channel per day"
>> strategy currently supported for the Unagi phone offers a fast
>> workflow with translating, pushing, and verifying in the product a few
>> hours later.
> That's a lot... Here's what I was thinking.
>
> *Main localizer(s)*
>
> If you're localizing Gaia, you need something quick to check what you're
> doing and be sure that you're really fixing things (is this label the
> button name or the section title? Will it fit in that tiny space? etc.).
>
> It could be a developer phone where you can push strings directly,
> running Gaia inside Firefox and using developer tools, or hack your
> language into a desktop build or simulator. That's possible and pretty
> easy even if you don't want to mess up your system, e.g. it took me 30
> minutes to setup a VM with Debian and build the xpi for Linux.
>
> *Testers (QA)*
>
> That's where I think the simulator will be a powerful tool. You want to
> provide people with an easy tool to use, and the add-on format is just
> perfect. And that's also why I'm not sure if automatic update is
> something you want to provide:
>
>   * occasional users don't want to be constantly bothered with updates
>     of 75MB (that's the size of the Linux build). They're just curious
>     to test it in their own language, and they won't probably take the
>     time to provide feedback on the localization.
>   * testers: you want (need) these people to test the localization, find
>     errors and provide useful feedback. These users should be willing to
>     download an updated .xpi whenever they want to run some tests, and
>     you probably won't be updating your localization every day.
>
> Having said that, if you want to have nightly updates you probably need
> 3 VMs online somewhere, not a simple home computer with an ADSL
> connection ;-)

Agreed, as mentioned above. I'd also prefer a bot to do all the work :-)

Axel

Il 06/05/13 13:06, Axel Hecht ha scritto:
> https://github.com/mozilla/r2d2b2g/blob/master/addon/package.json has
> the ID, so you should be able to tweak that easily. I hope that that's
> picked up consistently throughout the build process.
Ok. Right now I'm unpacking the extension, changing the ID and repacking
everything. Advantage is that I don't touch the original source, still
not sure why but this process adds over 1 MB to the final xpi (using zip
and sed from command line on OS X).
> As for hosting, I was thinking about asking IT for some VM resources,
> if we have something working. For download space, I'd just ask them
> for input. Both of those would solve the upload and download problem.
Best (right) way to do that?

In the meantime I put together something on my own server, if someone
wants to give it a try (DNS would probably need some more time to
propagate).
http://r2d2b2g.flod.org

On 5/6/13 1:22 PM, Francesco Lodolo [:flod] wrote:

> Il 06/05/13 13:06, Axel Hecht ha scritto:
>> https://github.com/mozilla/r2d2b2g/blob/master/addon/package.json has
>> the ID, so you should be able to tweak that easily. I hope that that's
>> picked up consistently throughout the build process.
> Ok. Right now I'm unpacking the extension, changing the ID and repacking
> everything. Advantage is that I don't touch the original source, still
> not sure why but this process adds over 1 MB to the final xpi (using zip
> and sed from command line on OS X).
>> As for hosting, I was thinking about asking IT for some VM resources,
>> if we have something working. For download space, I'd just ask them
>> for input. Both of those would solve the upload and download problem.
> Best (right) way to do that?

I'd file a bug. Also, do you need the three platforms for repackaging,
if that'd be all we do?

> In the meantime I put together something on my own server, if someone
> wants to give it a try (DNS would probably need some more time to
> propagate).
> http://r2d2b2g.flod.org

That site's up for me, you'd want to figure out how to tweak
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Install_Manifests#updateURL.

Axel

Re: Firefox OS Simulator and languages

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
> I'd file a bug. Also, do you need the three platforms for repackaging, if
> that'd be all we do?

Ok. Yes, as far as I understand it needs 3 VMs, one for each OS, plus a
webserver to serve files and updates.

> That site's up for me, you'd want to figure out how to tweak
> https://developer.mozilla.org/**en-US/docs/Install_Manifests#**updateURL<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Install_Manifests#updateURL>
> .

I'll look into that. Any other thought from other localizers about the
"automatic update yes/no"?

Il 04/05/13 02:28, Myk Melez ha scritto:
> This is a great idea! And last month I did some work to making
> building the Simulator with additional locales much easier. Here's a
> description of the process for building with Gaia's "all languages"
> file and then packaging your build for distribution to others:
>
> https://github.com/mozilla/r2d2b2g/issues/124#issuecomment-17420895
Hi again,
I was looking at the install.rdf generated to understand how I can
manage the update, I think it should also contain a targetPlatform
considering it's not really cross-platform.

Francesco