Firefox Multi-Account Containers

The Real Bev
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/?utm_source=blog.mozilla.org&utm_campaign=firefox_frontier&utm_medium=referral

This sounds really desirable for staying logged in to several different
gmail accounts at the same time.  Doesn't seem to work, though.

Clicking (or long-clicking) the icon does nothing except throw up a
triangle, a line and a generic background cursor. Long-clicking 'new
tab' from the File menu just opens a new tab. Is this one of those
things where linux (or FF52ESR) is just different, or does it conflict
with other extensions? What am I missing?

--
Cheers, Bev
   I can picture a world without war, without hate.   I can picture

Re: Firefox Multi-Account Containers

Mozilla - General mailing list
On 9/15/17 9:51 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/?utm_source=blog.mozilla.org&utm_campaign=firefox_frontier&utm_medium=referral
>
> This sounds really desirable for staying logged in to several different
> gmail accounts at the same time.  Doesn't seem to work, though.
>
> Clicking (or long-clicking) the icon does nothing except throw up a
> triangle, a line and a generic background cursor. Long-clicking 'new
> tab' from the File menu just opens a new tab. Is this one of those
> things where linux (or FF52ESR) is just different, or does it conflict
> with other extensions? What am I missing?

See the 'Requirements' section.
https://github.com/mozilla/testpilot-containers#readme

On 09/15/2017 02:06 PM, Christian Riechers wrote:

> On 9/15/17 9:51 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/?utm_source=blog.mozilla.org&utm_campaign=firefox_frontier&utm_medium=referral
>>
>> This sounds really desirable for staying logged in to several different
>> gmail accounts at the same time.  Doesn't seem to work, though.
>>
>> Clicking (or long-clicking) the icon does nothing except throw up a
>> triangle, a line and a generic background cursor. Long-clicking 'new
>> tab' from the File menu just opens a new tab. Is this one of those
>> things where linux (or FF52ESR) is just different, or does it conflict
>> with other extensions? What am I missing?
>
> See the 'Requirements' section.
> https://github.com/mozilla/testpilot-containers#readme

You'd think this would have been put on the mozilla/addons page,
wouldn't you?  I'm sure there's a good reason that the Mozilla
developers don't make it easy to see where problems (like non-operation,
for instance) might arise.

I remember spending days trying to make something in Netscape work, only
to be finally told (in a really pissed-off voice for bothering the Gods)
that that particular feature didn't work in linux, although the docs
said it would work for 'all versions'.

Shit.  NOT planning on updating.

--
Cheers, Bev
  "Too many people in Washington are full of themselves, among

On 9/16/17 12:10 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 09/15/2017 02:06 PM, Christian Riechers wrote:
>> On 9/15/17 9:51 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/?utm_source=blog.mozilla.org&utm_campaign=firefox_frontier&utm_medium=referral
>>>
>>> This sounds really desirable for staying logged in to several different
>>> gmail accounts at the same time.  Doesn't seem to work, though.
>>>
>>> Clicking (or long-clicking) the icon does nothing except throw up a
>>> triangle, a line and a generic background cursor. Long-clicking 'new
>>> tab' from the File menu just opens a new tab. Is this one of those
>>> things where linux (or FF52ESR) is just different, or does it conflict
>>> with other extensions? What am I missing?
>>
>> See the 'Requirements' section.
>> https://github.com/mozilla/testpilot-containers#readme
>
> You'd think this would have been put on the mozilla/addons page,
> wouldn't you?

Google is your friend.

[snip]

> Shit.  NOT planning on updating.

I don't follow your logic.
In any case, you do know that you can run multiple instances of Firefox
with different profiles, don't you?

Re: Firefox Multi-Account Containers

WaltS48-5
On 9/16/17 4:47 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:

> On 9/16/17 12:10 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> See the 'Requirements' section.
>>> https://github.com/mozilla/testpilot-containers#readme
>>
>> You'd think this would have been put on the mozilla/addons page,
>> wouldn't you?
>
> Google is your friend.
>
> [snip]
>
>> Shit.  NOT planning on updating.
>
> I don't follow your logic.
> In any case, you do know that you can run multiple instances of Firefox
> with different profiles, don't you?

If I understand the concept, that is what containers do without having
multiple instances of Firefox running with different profiles.

It is a profile within a profile.

I do have one banking site that doesn't seem to work in the Banking
container. :(

--
Go Bucs, Pitt, Steelers!
Native Americans should have had a hard line immigration stance

On 9/16/17 4:36 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 9/16/17 4:47 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:

>>> You'd think this would have been put on the mozilla/addons page,
>>> wouldn't you?
>>
>> Google is your friend.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Shit.  NOT planning on updating.
>>
>> I don't follow your logic.
>> In any case, you do know that you can run multiple instances of Firefox
>> with different profiles, don't you?
>>

> If I understand the concept, that is what containers do without having
> multiple instances of Firefox running with different profiles.

I wouldn't go that far. From what I understand, cookies in different
containers are isolated from each other.

Different profiles are intended for running different versions of Firefox.

> It is a profile within a profile.

Not really.

> I do have one banking site that doesn't seem to work in the Banking
> container. :(

I doubt this is due to the container.
I created a dedicated container for Google sites, to isolate their
cookies, and eventually limit tracking.

On 09/16/2017 01:47 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:

> On 9/16/17 12:10 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> See the 'Requirements' section.
>>> https://github.com/mozilla/testpilot-containers#readme
>>
>> You'd think this would have been put on the mozilla/addons page,
>> wouldn't you?
>
> Google is your friend.

Indeed, but if you're going to download a Mozilla extension for a
Mozilla product, you would THINK that essential information would be
available in the download area.  Github is for geeks, of which I am,
unfortunately, not one.  Just more of a geek groupie.

> [snip]
>
>> Shit.  NOT planning on updating.
>
> I don't follow your logic.

Each time I've updated FF or TB I've lost something that was valuable to
me.  If I'm going to lose ALL my extensions whose authors are
unable/unwilling to jump through the web-extension hoops, I'm sticking
where I am.  Period.  I have yet to see a balancing gain in FF 57.

> In any case, you do know that you can run multiple instances of Firefox
> with different profiles, don't you?

Of course.  But if you're careless sometimes the new profile will write
over your carefully-crafted old profile, requiring you to copy from your
most recent backup.   Since I've saved all my non-trash email since 1994
in my TB profile, and I can't guarantee that I won't have received
anything important since my last backup, this is a potential disaster.

--
Cheers, Bev
    "If you watch TV news, you know less about the world than

On 9/17/17 6:51 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 09/16/2017 01:47 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:

>>> You'd think this would have been put on the mozilla/addons page,
>>> wouldn't you?
>>
>> Google is your friend.
>
> Indeed, but if you're going to download a Mozilla extension for a
> Mozilla product, you would THINK that essential information would be
> available in the download area.  Github is for geeks, of which I am,
> unfortunately, not one.  Just more of a geek groupie.

Containers are part of the Test Pilot program, and hence experimental
technology, not a mainstream feature (yet).
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/test-pilot-firefoxs-experimental-features>

So I guess for people to try these some efforts are expected. I'd agree
though that a FF version requirement could be mentioned at a more
prominent place.
You can give feedback on the Test Pilot site.
https://testpilot.firefox.com/experiments

>>> Shit.  NOT planning on updating.
>>
>> I don't follow your logic.
>
> Each time I've updated FF or TB I've lost something that was valuable to
> me.  If I'm going to lose ALL my extensions whose authors are
> unable/unwilling to jump through the web-extension hoops, I'm sticking
> where I am.  Period.  I have yet to see a balancing gain in FF 57.
>
>> In any case, you do know that you can run multiple instances of Firefox
>> with different profiles, don't you?
>
> Of course.  But if you're careless sometimes the new profile will write
> over your carefully-crafted old profile, requiring you to copy from your
> most recent backup.

I do agree with that. However, then you'll be stuck with your current
ESR version forever. I doubt that will benefit you in the long term.
And you exclude yourself from new and useful features.

Reviewing the list of installed add-ons and looking for alternatives is
a hassle, but I guess it's your best bet to deal with web extensions.

> Since I've saved all my non-trash email since 1994
> in my TB profile, and I can't guarantee that I won't have received
> anything important since my last backup, this is a potential disaster.

It would certainly be easier to restore a Firefox profile, than a
Thunderbird profile with a huge email archive.
And Thunderbird will not go the web extensions route at this time.

On 09/17/2017 03:42 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:

> On 9/17/17 6:51 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Google is your friend.
>>
>> Indeed, but if you're going to download a Mozilla extension for a
>> Mozilla product, you would THINK that essential information would be
>> available in the download area.  Github is for geeks, of which I am,
>> unfortunately, not one.  Just more of a geek groupie.
>
> Containers are part of the Test Pilot program, and hence experimental
> technology, not a mainstream feature (yet).
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/test-pilot-firefoxs-experimental-features>

OK, I should have read more carefully.  Still, the actual extension page
was NOT informative.

> So I guess for people to try these some efforts are expected. I'd agree
> though that a FF version requirement could be mentioned at a more
> prominent place.
> You can give feedback on the Test Pilot site.
> https://testpilot.firefox.com/experiments

>>> I don't follow your logic.
>>
>> Each time I've updated FF or TB I've lost something that was valuable to
>> me.  If I'm going to lose ALL my extensions whose authors are
>> unable/unwilling to jump through the web-extension hoops, I'm sticking
>> where I am.  Period.  I have yet to see a balancing gain in FF 57.
>>
>>> In any case, you do know that you can run multiple instances of Firefox
>>> with different profiles, don't you?
>>
>> Of course.  But if you're careless sometimes the new profile will write
>> over your carefully-crafted old profile, requiring you to copy from your
>> most recent backup.
>
> I do agree with that. However, then you'll be stuck with your current
> ESR version forever. I doubt that will benefit you in the long term.
> And you exclude yourself from new and useful features.

Possibly, but I think 'diminishing returns' came into play a couple of
years ago :-(

> Reviewing the list of installed add-ons and looking for alternatives is
> a hassle, but I guess it's your best bet to deal with web extensions.

The hassle is restoring all the personalizations that I've done to make
FF and TB look/act like *I* want it to (close to Netscape!), not like
Chrome or IE, and  fixing/commenting out  the stuff in the .css files
that seems to work strangely/badly/not at all with the new versions.
The good NEW stuff seems to be mainly extensions rather than base
operations.

>> Since I've saved all my non-trash email since 1994
>> in my TB profile, and I can't guarantee that I won't have received
>> anything important since my last backup, this is a potential disaster.
>
> It would certainly be easier to restore a Firefox profile, than a
> Thunderbird profile with a huge email archive.
> And Thunderbird will not go the web extensions route at this time.

I stuck at TB38.  So far I haven't seen any harm.

--
Cheers, Bev
   Q. What's the difference between Batman and Bill Gates?