Firefox Monitor - no locale URL

Rhoslyn Prys-2
  The URL opens to English unless the language preference has been set
otherwise. This is not useful. It needs to have a URL that reflects the
language, e.e. monitor.firefox.com/cy

99% of computers here are set up in English and we have difficulty
getting people to change their language setting.

When I tell people about this I have to tell them they must change their
language settings to get it to work in their language...

Who do I need to contact to get this changed?

Rhos

Re: Firefox Monitor - no locale URL

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
Hi,

This is a known limitation, and it wasn't considered a blocker for the
initial release [1]. I'm not sure we have an issue on file, in case
I'll open it, to investigate how this can be implemented.

Francesco

[1] For reference: Test Pilot, Send, Screenshots don't have locale URLs.
Il giorno gio 15 nov 2018 alle ore 11:42 Rhoslyn Prys
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

>   The URL opens to English unless the language preference has been set
> otherwise. This is not useful. It needs to have a URL that reflects the
> language, e.e. monitor.firefox.com/cy
>
> 99% of computers here are set up in English and we have difficulty
> getting people to change their language setting.
>
> When I tell people about this I have to tell them they must change their
> language settings to get it to work in their language...
>
> Who do I need to contact to get this changed?
>
> Rhos

Re: Firefox Monitor - no locale URL

Rhoslyn Prys-2
Thanks for that. Could you include Test Pilot, Send, Screenshots in
there as well? :-)

Rhos

Ar 15/11/2018 11:18, ysgrifennodd Francesco Lodolo:

> Hi,
>
> This is a known limitation, and it wasn't considered a blocker for the
> initial release [1]. I'm not sure we have an issue on file, in case
> I'll open it, to investigate how this can be implemented.
>
> Francesco
>
> [1] For reference: Test Pilot, Send, Screenshots don't have locale URLs.
> Il giorno gio 15 nov 2018 alle ore 11:42 Rhoslyn Prys
> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>>    The URL opens to English unless the language preference has been set
>> otherwise. This is not useful. It needs to have a URL that reflects the
>> language, e.e. monitor.firefox.com/cy
>>
>> 99% of computers here are set up in English and we have difficulty
>> getting people to change their language setting.
>>
>> When I tell people about this I have to tell them they must change their
>> language settings to get it to work in their language...
>>
>> Who do I need to contact to get this changed?
>>
>> Rhos

Re: Firefox Monitor - no locale URL

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
Those are different projects, using different technology, each one
will need its own issue and investigation (and Test Pilot is in
maintenance mode).

Having said that, I would suggest to start with one and see where it goes.

While I completely get your point, I also considered this to be an
edge case, in the sense that most users should have their language
settings already set to their liking. I'm also not sure if having the
language in the URL is going to be possible, vs having a language
switcher for example, and setting stored in the browser.

Francesco
Il giorno gio 15 nov 2018 alle ore 12:49 Rhoslyn Prys
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Thanks for that. Could you include Test Pilot, Send, Screenshots in
> there as well? :-)
>
> Rhos
>
> Ar 15/11/2018 11:18, ysgrifennodd Francesco Lodolo:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is a known limitation, and it wasn't considered a blocker for the
> > initial release [1]. I'm not sure we have an issue on file, in case
> > I'll open it, to investigate how this can be implemented.
> >
> > Francesco
> >
> > [1] For reference: Test Pilot, Send, Screenshots don't have locale URLs.
> > Il giorno gio 15 nov 2018 alle ore 11:42 Rhoslyn Prys
> > <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> >>    The URL opens to English unless the language preference has been set
> >> otherwise. This is not useful. It needs to have a URL that reflects the
> >> language, e.e. monitor.firefox.com/cy
> >>
> >> 99% of computers here are set up in English and we have difficulty
> >> getting people to change their language setting.
> >>
> >> When I tell people about this I have to tell them they must change their
> >> language settings to get it to work in their language...
> >>
> >> Who do I need to contact to get this changed?
> >>
> >> Rhos

Re: Firefox Monitor - no locale URL

Fjoerfoks
I'd prefer both options, a language switcher and url distinction.
Last one is very useful for sharing on e.g. socal media.The switcher gives
the user the choice, preferably located at the top of the website.

My 2 cents,
Wim

Op do 15 nov. 2018 12:53 schreef Francesco Lodolo <[hidden email]:

> Those are different projects, using different technology, each one
> will need its own issue and investigation (and Test Pilot is in
> maintenance mode).
>
> Having said that, I would suggest to start with one and see where it goes.
>
> While I completely get your point, I also considered this to be an
> edge case, in the sense that most users should have their language
> settings already set to their liking. I'm also not sure if having the
> language in the URL is going to be possible, vs having a language
> switcher for example, and setting stored in the browser.
>
> Francesco
> Il giorno gio 15 nov 2018 alle ore 12:49 Rhoslyn Prys
> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> >
> > Thanks for that. Could you include Test Pilot, Send, Screenshots in
> > there as well? :-)
> >
> > Rhos
> >
> > Ar 15/11/2018 11:18, ysgrifennodd Francesco Lodolo:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This is a known limitation, and it wasn't considered a blocker for the
> > > initial release [1]. I'm not sure we have an issue on file, in case
> > > I'll open it, to investigate how this can be implemented.
> > >
> > > Francesco
> > >
> > > [1] For reference: Test Pilot, Send, Screenshots don't have locale
> URLs.
> set
> the

> their

Re: Firefox Monitor - no locale URL

Romi Hardiyanto
Flod, I think sooner or later. locale-code-as-part-of-URL (domain,
path or query param) should be documented somewhere, for the
developers and product owners/managers, as a *hard* requirement for
creating a new firefox/mozilla websites. Otherwise when a new
*.firefox or *.mozilla website coming, the same question is popping
out again.

--
Romi
Pada tanggal Kam, 15 Nov 2018 pukul 12.53 Francesco Lodolo
<[hidden email]> menulis:

> Those are different projects, using different technology, each one
> will need its own issue and investigation (and Test Pilot is in
> maintenance mode).
>
> Having said that, I would suggest to start with one and see where it goes.
>
> While I completely get your point, I also considered this to be an
> edge case, in the sense that most users should have their language
> settings already set to their liking. I'm also not sure if having the
> language in the URL is going to be possible, vs having a language
> switcher for example, and setting stored in the browser.
>
> Francesco
> Il giorno gio 15 nov 2018 alle ore 12:49 Rhoslyn Prys
> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> >
> > Thanks for that. Could you include Test Pilot, Send, Screenshots in
> > there as well? :-)
> >
> > Rhos
> >
> > Ar 15/11/2018 11:18, ysgrifennodd Francesco Lodolo:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This is a known limitation, and it wasn't considered a blocker for the
> > > initial release [1]. I'm not sure we have an issue on file, in case
> > > I'll open it, to investigate how this can be implemented.
> > >
> > > Francesco
> > >
> > > [1] For reference: Test Pilot, Send, Screenshots don't have locale URLs.

Re: Firefox Monitor - no locale URL

Eduardo Trápani
On 15/11/18 09:20, Fjoerfoks wrote:
> I'd prefer both options, a language switcher and url distinction.
> Last one is very useful for sharing on e.g. socal media.

I'd also much rather have an url for all localized versions of pages.
Just like for cy, some people would like the see some content in eo, but
are not ready/willing to use the fully localized version of the product.

And for sharing just a page, a localized version or changing the
settings is overkill.

If somebody already filed the bug, please report it here so that we can
follow it and participate.

Maybe it should be something that the l10n drivers should decide, as a
general rule/policy, so that it can then be communicated to other
projects and maybe be considered a blocker for the new ones.

Re: Firefox Monitor - no locale URL

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
I filed the issue here
https://github.com/mozilla/blurts-server/issues/604

But please, given some experiences in the past, let's try to not pile
up with "we need this". It's not helpful, nor it's not going to make
development faster (and this team has been great in supporting
localization so far).

Once again: this was evaluated and not considered a blocker, given
that all these other projects have been around for several months (or
years), and the concern has never been raised before. If you want to
blame someone for this specific choice, then feel free to blame me,
not developers.

Francesco

Francesco
Il giorno gio 15 nov 2018 alle ore 14:21 Eduardo Trápani
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> On 15/11/18 09:20, Fjoerfoks wrote:
> > I'd prefer both options, a language switcher and url distinction.
> > Last one is very useful for sharing on e.g. socal media.
>
> I'd also much rather have an url for all localized versions of pages.
> Just like for cy, some people would like the see some content in eo, but
> are not ready/willing to use the fully localized version of the product.
>
> And for sharing just a page, a localized version or changing the
> settings is overkill.
>
> If somebody already filed the bug, please report it here so that we can
> follow it and participate.
>
> Maybe it should be something that the l10n drivers should decide, as a
> general rule/policy, so that it can then be communicated to other
> projects and maybe be considered a blocker for the new ones.

Re: Firefox Monitor - no locale URL

Rhoslyn Prys-3
Thanks for that Francesco. I'm feeling a bit dumb for not having spotted
the lack of locale URL on the other projects.

Sorry!

Rhos

Ar 15/11/2018 13:29, ysgrifennodd Francesco Lodolo:

> I filed the issue here
> https://github.com/mozilla/blurts-server/issues/604
>
> But please, given some experiences in the past, let's try to not pile
> up with "we need this". It's not helpful, nor it's not going to make
> development faster (and this team has been great in supporting
> localization so far).
>
> Once again: this was evaluated and not considered a blocker, given
> that all these other projects have been around for several months (or
> years), and the concern has never been raised before. If you want to
> blame someone for this specific choice, then feel free to blame me,
> not developers.
>
> Francesco
>
> Francesco
> Il giorno gio 15 nov 2018 alle ore 14:21 Eduardo Trápani
> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>> On 15/11/18 09:20, Fjoerfoks wrote:
>>> I'd prefer both options, a language switcher and url distinction.
>>> Last one is very useful for sharing on e.g. socal media.
>> I'd also much rather have an url for all localized versions of pages.
>> Just like for cy, some people would like the see some content in eo, but
>> are not ready/willing to use the fully localized version of the product.
>>
>> And for sharing just a page, a localized version or changing the
>> settings is overkill.
>>
>> If somebody already filed the bug, please report it here so that we can
>> follow it and participate.
>>
>> Maybe it should be something that the l10n drivers should decide, as a
>> general rule/policy, so that it can then be communicated to other
>> projects and maybe be considered a blocker for the new ones.

Re: Firefox Monitor - no locale URL

Kohei Yoshino-2
This is an old data but I have an analysis of how languages are available on Mozilla properties:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GptrJMQBkGfkuCpqWPiZ07BxsWp41kAZjXXZu07om_A

I’m happy to update the list.

-Kohei

On 2018-11-15 10:30 a.m., Rhoslyn Prys wrote:

> Thanks for that Francesco. I'm feeling a bit dumb for not having spotted the lack of locale URL on the other projects.
>
> Sorry!
>
> Rhos
>
> Ar 15/11/2018 13:29, ysgrifennodd Francesco Lodolo:
>> I filed the issue here
>> https://github.com/mozilla/blurts-server/issues/604
>>
>> But please, given some experiences in the past, let's try to not pile
>> up with "we need this". It's not helpful, nor it's not going to make
>> development faster (and this team has been great in supporting
>> localization so far).
>>
>> Once again: this was evaluated and not considered a blocker, given
>> that all these other projects have been around for several months (or
>> years), and the concern has never been raised before. If you want to
>> blame someone for this specific choice, then feel free to blame me,
>> not developers.
>>
>> Francesco
>>
>> Francesco
>> Il giorno gio 15 nov 2018 alle ore 14:21 Eduardo Trápani
>> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>>> I'd also much rather have an url for all localized versions of pages.
>>> Just like for cy, some people would like the see some content in eo, but
>>> are not ready/willing to use the fully localized version of the product.
>>>
>>> And for sharing just a page, a localized version or changing the
>>> settings is overkill.
>>>
>>> If somebody already filed the bug, please report it here so that we can
>>> follow it and participate.
>>>
>>> Maybe it should be something that the l10n drivers should decide, as a
>>> general rule/policy, so that it can then be communicated to other
>>> projects and maybe be considered a blocker for the new ones.

Re: Firefox Monitor - no locale URL

Eduardo Trápani
Great work! It would be really nice to have a common language-selection
experience across Mozilla.

Just a couple of days ago I needed to show send.firefox.com in another
language. But I couldn't find a way to override the language decided by
the server.

Maybe we could put this information in github, someplace in
mozilla-l10n? To remove verbatim and add pontoon, for example, and maybe
add an example URL with locale (say ?lang=AB_CD or ?language=, ?locale=
...) and a bug report if it exists for localized sites without URL
selectors.

Kohei, if there is no central "official" place where we could put it,
please put it somewhere where we can help you update it.

On 15/11/18 12:42, Kohei Yoshino wrote:

> This is an old data but I have an analysis of how languages are
> available on Mozilla properties:
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GptrJMQBkGfkuCpqWPiZ07BxsWp41kAZjXXZu07om_A
>

> I’m happy to update the list.
>
> -Kohei
>

> On 2018-11-15 10:30 a.m., Rhoslyn Prys wrote:
>> Thanks for that Francesco. I'm feeling a bit dumb for not having
>> spotted the lack of locale URL on the other projects.
>>
>> Sorry!
>>
>> Rhos
>>
>> Ar 15/11/2018 13:29, ysgrifennodd Francesco Lodolo:
>>> I filed the issue here
>>> https://github.com/mozilla/blurts-server/issues/604
>>>
>>> But please, given some experiences in the past, let's try to not pile
>>> up with "we need this". It's not helpful, nor it's not going to make
>>> development faster (and this team has been great in supporting
>>> localization so far).
>>>
>>> Once again: this was evaluated and not considered a blocker, given
>>> that all these other projects have been around for several months (or
>>> years), and the concern has never been raised before. If you want to
>>> blame someone for this specific choice, then feel free to blame me,
>>> not developers.
>>>
>>> Francesco
>>>
>>> Francesco

Re: Firefox Monitor - no locale URL

Kohei Yoshino-2
Ping me (kohei) on IRC or Slack so I can share the spreadsheet with those interested :)