Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

caver1-5
Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups

--
Caver1

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

Ron Hunter
On 4/3/2017 1:18 PM, Caver1 wrote:
> Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.
>
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups

I think this might be the last version of Firefox I will see.  No sense
hanging around any longer if they mess things up, again.
WHAT benefit will users get from this?  Is it faster?  Is it easier to
use?  How is it better?  From what I can see, they took minimalist, and
raised it to the ultimate in ugly, plain, uninteresting, and difficult
to use.

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

WaltS48-5
On 4/3/17 2:18 PM, Caver1 wrote:
> Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.
>
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups

GASP! Square tabs.

How do I get my Australis look back. 😤😵

Did you see the new about:preferences look of Firefox 55.0?

<http://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/07/mozilla-updating-firefox-preferences/>

Can't wait until 57 hits the Nightly Channel, and I hear rumors they are
dumping the Aurora channel. It will be Nightly > Beta > Release. Should
be fun. 😱

--
Go Bucs!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

Wolf K.
On 2017-04-03 14:30, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 4/3/2017 1:18 PM, Caver1 wrote:
>> Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.
>>
>> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups
>>

> I think this might be the last version of Firefox I will see.  No sense
> hanging around any longer if they mess things up, again.
> WHAT benefit will users get from this?  Is it faster?  Is it easier to
> use?  How is it better?  From what I can see, they took minimalist, and
> raised it to the ultimate in ugly, plain, uninteresting, and difficult
> to use.

I'd like to know whether they've consulted ergonomics experts on this,
and how much ergonomic testing they've done. Eg, tabs with rounded
corners are easier to see/pick. A page full of most recently-visited
page icons/previews is harder to navigate than a ribbon or list. Etc.

Overall, it looks like change for novelty's sake. Mustn't look
unfashionable and out of it....

Bah.

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

Luis
Caver1 wrote:
> Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.
>
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups

Ugly! Maybe they are making it ugly so users never miss it when finally
dismissed.

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

Roger-2
On 03-Apr-2017 2:18 PM, Caver1 wrote:
> Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.
>
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups

...and we will call it Chromefox. :-)

On 4/3/17 3:28 PM, S. McDuff wrote:
> On 03-Apr-2017 2:18 PM, Caver1 wrote:
>> Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.
>>
>> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups
>>

> ...and we will call it Chromefox. :-)

Did Chrome switch back to square tabs? I haven't been paying attention.

They are getting rid of "Close other tabs" and "Close tabs to the
right", which Firefox still has in the context menu.

--
Go Bucs!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

Mr. Ed-2
On 04/03/17 2:18 PM, Caver1 wrote:
Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups

OMG - Think I'll go back to Mosaic😢

--
"This is America!  You can't make a horse
 testify against himself!"      Mister Ed

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

s|b-2
On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 14:18:44 -0400, Caver1 wrote:

> Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.
>
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups

*yikes*

--
s|b

On 04/03/2017 03:53 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 4/3/17 3:28 PM, S. McDuff wrote:
>> On 03-Apr-2017 2:18 PM, Caver1 wrote:
>>> Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.
>>>
>>> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups
>>>

>> ...and we will call it Chromefox. :-)
>

> Did Chrome switch back to square tabs? I haven't been paying attention.

Chrome 57 has angled tabs, not round or square.

On 4/3/17 4:13 PM, Caver1 wrote:

> On 04/03/2017 03:53 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> ...and we will call it Chromefox. :-)
>>

>> Did Chrome switch back to square tabs? I haven't been paying attention.
>

> Chrome 57 has angled tabs, not round or square.

AFAIK Chrome always had angled tabs, not round or square, but I guess
that is close enough for the Firefox is a Chrome clone crowd.

I am more concerned about the revocation of the not yet implemented
privacy rules and the attack on Net Neutrality.

YMMV

--
Go Bucs!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

Alex S.
     in <[hidden email]>:

> Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.

> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups

Looks like more Chromification on its way. The real sad news is that with the
deprecation of XUL, UserChrome UI customizations may no longer work.

--
All power corrupts, but we need electricity.

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

Alex S.
  On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 16:17:50 -0400, WaltS48 wrote
     in <[hidden email]>:

> AFAIK Chrome always had angled tabs, not round or square, but I guess that
> is close enough for the Firefox is a Chrome clone crowd.

True. Chrome was always angled, Opera and others (Vivaldi for example) are
squared.

--
The bigger the theory the better.

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

EE-2
Caver1 wrote:
> Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.
>
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups

That looks rather like Opera.

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Caver1 graced us with on 4/3/2017
11:18 AM:
> Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.
>
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups

Looks pretty ol'skol to me. It's as though they've decided that
devolution is now the new black except instead of reverting to
eye-pleasing icons, they've decided to take flat design one worse and
simply go with stick design.

#nervous #I #am

--
Sailfish

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

B00ze
On 2017-04-03 18:52, Sailfish <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Caver1 graced us with on 4/3/2017
> 11:18 AM:
>> Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.
>>
>> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups
>>
> Looks pretty ol'skol to me. It's as though they've decided that
> devolution is now the new black except instead of reverting to
> eye-pleasing icons, they've decided to take flat design one worse and
> simply go with stick design.
>
> #nervous #I #am

+1 We get our buttons back, to the left of the URL bar, but no AddOn
bar, ugly square tabs, ugly flat design. If XUL stayed it wouldn't
matter (CTR) but since they intend to prevent people from injecting
arbitrary CSS into Chrome, we'll be stuck with this design. I kinda like
curvy tabs (which I get from CTR)...

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / [hidden email]
! (o o)   Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society

Re: ohne Wörte

GérardJan
On 04/04/2017 02:59 AM, B00ze wrote:

> On 2017-04-03 18:52, Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Caver1 graced us with on 4/3/2017
>> 11:18 AM:
>>> Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.
>>>
>>> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups
>>>
>> Looks pretty ol'skol to me. It's as though they've decided that
>> devolution is now the new black except instead of reverting to
>> eye-pleasing icons, they've decided to take flat design one worse and
>> simply go with stick design.
>>
>> #nervous #I #am
>
> +1 We get our buttons back, to the left of the URL bar, but no AddOn bar, ugly
> square tabs, ugly flat design. If XUL stayed it wouldn't matter (CTR) but
> since they intend to prevent people from injecting arbitrary CSS into Chrome,
> we'll be stuck with this design. I kinda like curvy tabs (which I get from
> CTR)...

[gérardjan@localhost ~]$ time icont deal.icn
Translating:
deal.icn:
   main
   display
   show
   arrange
No errors
Linking:
icont: cannot resolve reference to file 'post.u1'

real    0m0.040s
user    0m0.000s
sys    0m0.005s
[gérardjan@localhost ~]$

--
GérardJan Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff
http://www.ciudadpatricia.es

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/51.0 SeaMonkey/2.48
Build identifier: 20170329182716

I do desire we may be better strangers.
                -- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"

deal.icn (3K) Download Attachment

On 4/3/2017 5:52 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Caver1 graced us with on 4/3/2017
> 11:18 AM:
>> Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.
>>
>> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups
>>
> Looks pretty ol'skol to me. It's as though they've decided that
> devolution is now the new black except instead of reverting to
> eye-pleasing icons, they've decided to take flat design one worse and
> simply go with stick design.
>
> #nervous #I #am

It appears everything that I use to like about Mozilla browsers is now
history.  What was wrong with color, and form, and pleasant appearance?

On 4/3/2017 7:59 PM, B00ze wrote:

> On 2017-04-03 18:52, Sailfish <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Caver1 graced us with on 4/3/2017
>> 11:18 AM:
>>> Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.
>>>
>>> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups
>>>
>> Looks pretty ol'skol to me. It's as though they've decided that
>> devolution is now the new black except instead of reverting to
>> eye-pleasing icons, they've decided to take flat design one worse and
>> simply go with stick design.
>>
>> #nervous #I #am
>
> +1 We get our buttons back, to the left of the URL bar, but no AddOn
> bar, ugly square tabs, ugly flat design. If XUL stayed it wouldn't
> matter (CTR) but since they intend to prevent people from injecting
> arbitrary CSS into Chrome, we'll be stuck with this design. I kinda like
> curvy tabs (which I get from CTR)...

I also see no sign of a bookmarks toolbar, nor does it mention
customization of the interface...

Re: Firefox Is Getting a Massive Redesign, And This Is What It Looks Like

PietB-2
Caver1 wrote:
> Maybe this is somewhat what we have to look forward to.
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/firefox-photon-redesign-mockups

Work on the new (re)design started on April 1.
No doubt about that.

-p