Firefox Home 1.1 Localizations

Stefan Arentz-4
Hi Everybody,

We have reached a point where Firefox Home 1.1 is ready for localization.

The big new thing in 1.1 is the same new 'easy' setup as we will get in the upcoming Fennec release. This has introduced a small number of new screens and strings.

Here are screenshots of the screens that are new or have changed:

1) http://stefan.arentz.ca/stuff/grabs/3df04f44bc3da0fb37daeadb27908748.png

This is the Connect to Sync screen. It is a new screen.

2) http://stefan.arentz.ca/stuff/grabs/3c854f09514e01a4d86474742ef9da51.png

This is the manual setup screen. All of these options were previously in the global Settings application.

3) http://stefan.arentz.ca/stuff/grabs/1f511c70046a6572e38a72a49289ed57.png

This is a new error dialog that is shown when the setup fails.

I have created/modified the following files on Verbatim:

EasySetupViewController.xib.strings.po
ManualSetupViewController.xib.strings.po
Localizable.strings.po

I know you are all very busy but if possible we would like to submit Firefox Home to the App Store next week.

I will be following this list if there are questions but you can also email me directly at [hidden email] or file a bug in bugzilla and assign it to me.

Thanks!

 S.

Re: Firefox Home 1.1 Localizations

Cédric Corazza
Hi,

The French locale has been updated on Verbatim.

Cédric

Re: Firefox Home 1.1 Localizations

Besnik Bleta-2

Hello,

Same for Albanian locale.

cheers
Besnik

Më 11/24/2010 09:40 PM, � shkrojti:

> Hi,
>
> The French locale has been updated on Verbatim.
>
> C�dric

Re: Firefox Home 1.1 Localizations

Patipat Susumpow

Thai l10n has been updated to Verbatim.

https://localize.mozilla.org/th/fxhome/

Keng.

On Nov 24, 9:38 pm, Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> We have reached a point where Firefox Home 1.1 is ready for localization.
>
> The big new thing in 1.1 is the same new 'easy' setup as we will get in the upcoming Fennec release. This has introduced a small number of new screens and strings.
>
> Here are screenshots of the screens that are new or have changed:
>
> 1)http://stefan.arentz.ca/stuff/grabs/3df04f44bc3da0fb37daeadb27908748.png
>
> This is the Connect to Sync screen. It is a new screen.
>
> 2)http://stefan.arentz.ca/stuff/grabs/3c854f09514e01a4d86474742ef9da51.png
>
> This is the manual setup screen. All of these options were previously in the global Settings application.
>
> 3)http://stefan.arentz.ca/stuff/grabs/1f511c70046a6572e38a72a49289ed57.png
>
> This is a new error dialog that is shown when the setup fails.
>
> I have created/modified the following files on Verbatim:
>
> EasySetupViewController.xib.strings.po
> ManualSetupViewController.xib.strings.po
> Localizable.strings.po
>
> I know you are all very busy but if possible we would like to submit Firefox Home to the App Store next week.
>
> I will be following this list if there are questions but you can also email me directly at [hidden email] or file a bug in bugzilla and assign it to me.
>
> Thanks!
>
>  S.

Re: Firefox Home 1.1 Localizations

Alexander L. Slovesnik-2
Russian locale has been updated on Verbatim.

Re: Firefox Home 1.1 Localizations

Romi Hardiyanto
Can we add Indonesian locale in verbatim as well? I just found out
that iOS 4 something has Indonesian language option already.

Many thanks,

Romi

2010/11/24 Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> We have reached a point where Firefox Home 1.1 is ready for localization.
>
> The big new thing in 1.1 is the same new 'easy' setup as we will get in the upcoming Fennec release. This has introduced a small number of new screens and strings.
>
> Here are screenshots of the screens that are new or have changed:
>
> 1) http://stefan.arentz.ca/stuff/grabs/3df04f44bc3da0fb37daeadb27908748.png
>
> This is the Connect to Sync screen. It is a new screen.
>
> 2) http://stefan.arentz.ca/stuff/grabs/3c854f09514e01a4d86474742ef9da51.png
>
> This is the manual setup screen. All of these options were previously in the global Settings application.
>
> 3) http://stefan.arentz.ca/stuff/grabs/1f511c70046a6572e38a72a49289ed57.png
>
> This is a new error dialog that is shown when the setup fails.
>

> I have created/modified the following files on Verbatim:
>
> EasySetupViewController.xib.strings.po
> ManualSetupViewController.xib.strings.po
> Localizable.strings.po
>

> I know you are all very busy but if possible we would like to submit Firefox Home to the App Store next week.
>
> I will be following this list if there are questions but you can also email me directly at [hidden email] or file a bug in bugzilla and assign it to me.
>
> Thanks!
>
>  S.

Re: Firefox Home 1.1 Localizations

Seth Bindernagel
Indeed, Indonesian is supported.

I added Indonesian to the Firefox Home list of languages.

https://localize.mozilla.org/id/fxhome/

2010/11/26 Seth Bindernagel <[hidden email]>:
> Indeed, Indonesian is supported.
>
> I added Indonesian to the Firefox Home list of languages.
>
> https://localize.mozilla.org/id/fxhome/
Ok, Finished that. Don't know how to test it though as I don't have
iPhone/iPod Touch.

OOT: Is there any Firefox Home for BlackBerry project already?
Indonesian use BlackBerry *a lot*.

Best Regards,
Romi

Romi Hardiyanto wrote:

> 2010/11/26 Seth Bindernagel<[hidden email]>:
>> Indeed, Indonesian is supported.
>>
>> I added Indonesian to the Firefox Home list of languages.
>>
>> https://localize.mozilla.org/id/fxhome/
> Ok, Finished that. Don't know how to test it though as I don't have
> iPhone/iPod Touch.
>
> OOT: Is there any Firefox Home for BlackBerry project already?
> Indonesian use BlackBerry *a lot*.

No plans I know of to have Firefox Home for Blackberry.

-Seth

Re: Firefox Home 1.1 Localizations

Selim Şumlu
Turkish is done.

And just FYI: I wasn't able to login to Verbatim since three days,
it's been giving me a "Server Error" ("Sunucu Hatası" in Turkish).
After realizing that no one else was having a problem, I tried
changing my browser's default language to English and I was able to
get in. Maybe something went wrong with Pootle upgrade? Especially
with Turkish related files?

On 24 Kasım, 16:38, Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> We have reached a point where Firefox Home 1.1 is ready for localization.
>
> The big new thing in 1.1 is the same new 'easy' setup as we will get in the upcoming Fennec release. This has introduced a small number of new screens and strings.
>
> Here are screenshots of the screens that are new or have changed:
>
> 1)http://stefan.arentz.ca/stuff/grabs/3df04f44bc3da0fb37daeadb27908748.png
>
> This is the Connect to Sync screen. It is a new screen.
>
> 2)http://stefan.arentz.ca/stuff/grabs/3c854f09514e01a4d86474742ef9da51.png
>
> This is the manual setup screen. All of these options were previously in the global Settings application.
>
> 3)http://stefan.arentz.ca/stuff/grabs/1f511c70046a6572e38a72a49289ed57.png
>
> This is a new error dialog that is shown when the setup fails.
>
> I have created/modified the following files on Verbatim:
>
> EasySetupViewController.xib.strings.po
> ManualSetupViewController.xib.strings.po
> Localizable.strings.po
>
> I know you are all very busy but if possible we would like to submit Firefox Home to the App Store next week.
>
> I will be following this list if there are questions but you can also email me directly at [hidden email] or file a bug in bugzilla and assign it to me.
>
> Thanks!
>
>  S.

Re: Firefox Home 1.1 Localizations

Pavel Cvrcek (Mozilla.cz)
Dne 26.11.2010 16:03, Seth Bindernagel napsal(a):
>> OOT: Is there any Firefox Home for BlackBerry project already?
>> Indonesian use BlackBerry *a lot*.
>
> No plans I know of to have Firefox Home for Blackberry.

Seth, I don't think you are right.

http://blog.mozilla.com/mobile/2010/09/28/firefox-home-looking-to-the-future/

"We are working to bring Firefox Home to both Blackberry and Symbian
platforms in the coming months."

Pavel

Pavel Cvrcek wrote:

> Dne 26.11.2010 16:03, Seth Bindernagel napsal(a):
>>> OOT: Is there any Firefox Home for BlackBerry project already?
>>> Indonesian use BlackBerry *a lot*.
>>
>> No plans I know of to have Firefox Home for Blackberry.
>
> Seth, I don't think you are right.
>
> http://blog.mozilla.com/mobile/2010/09/28/firefox-home-looking-to-the-future/
>

> "We are working to bring Firefox Home to both Blackberry and Symbian
> platforms in the coming months."

Good find, Pavel.  Like I said, no plans that I knew of.  :)  Now I do!
I appreciate the correction.

Selim Şumlu wrote:
> Turkish is done.
>
> And just FYI: I wasn't able to login to Verbatim since three days,
> it's been giving me a "Server Error" ("Sunucu Hatası" in Turkish).
> After realizing that no one else was having a problem, I tried
> changing my browser's default language to English and I was able to
> get in. Maybe something went wrong with Pootle upgrade? Especially
> with Turkish related files?
I chatted with the Pootle dev-team and found out that this is a known
bug.  From the team, Alaa's quote, "[this is] caused by glibc changing
meaning of to_lower() when turkish locale is activated."

We hope to apply a patch now that solves this issue.

On 29 Kasım, 13:24, Seth Bindernagel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Selim Şumlu wrote:
> > Turkish is done.
>
> > And just FYI: I wasn't able to login to Verbatim since three days,
> > it's been giving me a "Server Error" ("Sunucu Hatası" in Turkish).
> > After realizing that no one else was having a problem, I tried
> > changing my browser's default language to English and I was able to
> > get in. Maybe something went wrong with Pootle upgrade? Especially
> > with Turkish related files?
>
> I chatted with the Pootle dev-team and found out that this is a known
> bug.  From the team, Alaa's quote, "[this is] caused by glibc changing
> meaning of to_lower() when turkish locale is activated."
>
> We hope to apply a patch now that solves this issue.

Thanks, Seth.

I'm now able to access it in Turkish.

Re: Firefox Home 1.1 Localizations

dynamis-2
Hi Stefan, Dan, Seth and all

I have 3 request about Firefox Home l10n.

 a. Please write l10n note about the context (important!)

As some localizers already asked about context of some text, we need context
information to translate properly. We cannot translate only with new strings.
And please let us know max length of the field.

 b. Please write l10n note about the max string length (important!)

Localized strings will be truncated if we cannot know the max length.
What you should do is not just use short words in English. It will not work.
Translated words will be sometimes much longer than English (even if English is
enough short).

These (a and b) are very important requirement to keep l10n quality I believe.
Especially because localizer cannot check new version UI when they translate
text. Firefox and Thunderbird always write l10n note about these problems.
Please write more l10n note for Firefox Home.

 c. Please make us possible to translate update info text (better to have)

When user update Firefox Home, they can read update information.
Currently it is shown only in English. Please share the update description text
on the App Store and make us possible to translate it.
# but don't make it as requirement for l10n update

Thanks.

  p.s.
I'll take time to update ja l10n for FxHome1.1 maybe today or tomorrow.

On 2010-11-30, at 4:54 AM, dynamis wrote:

> Hi Stefan, Dan, Seth and all
>
> I have 3 request about Firefox Home l10n.
>
> a. Please write l10n note about the context (important!)
>
> As some localizers already asked about context of some text, we need context
> information to translate properly. We cannot translate only with new strings.
> And please let us know max length of the field.
>
> b. Please write l10n note about the max string length (important!)
>
> Localized strings will be truncated if we cannot know the max length.
> What you should do is not just use short words in English. It will not work.
> Translated words will be sometimes much longer than English (even if English is
> enough short).
>
> These (a and b) are very important requirement to keep l10n quality I believe.
> Especially because localizer cannot check new version UI when they translate
> text. Firefox and Thunderbird always write l10n note about these problems.
> Please write more l10n note for Firefox Home.

You are totally right. These are good suggestions. Cocoa strings files actually have a facility for that (the comment) and we should use it since that info is transferred to Verbatim.

I just don't think that I will be able to do it for these latest changes.

What I did this time instead is simply show screenshots of the dialogs and screens where the strings are being used. I know this is not the same, but it should give you a good idea visually of the context and how much space is available.

Here are the most up to date screenshots of all the places where a change is needed:

Easy Setup http://sa.tk/063b24ff.png
Manual Setup http://sa.tk/f6e73c69.png
Error http://sa.tk/b3192263.png

Please let me know if you have questions about these.

> c. Please make us possible to translate update info text (better to have)
>
> When user update Firefox Home, they can read update information.
> Currently it is shown only in English. Please share the update description text
> on the App Store and make us possible to translate it.
> # but don't make it as requirement for l10n update
>
> Thanks.
>
>  p.s.
> I'll take time to update ja l10n for FxHome1.1 maybe today or tomorrow.

Thank you very much.

Stefan Arentz wrote:

> On 2010-11-30, at 4:54 AM, dynamis wrote:
>
>> Hi Stefan, Dan, Seth and all
>>
>> I have 3 request about Firefox Home l10n.
>>
>> a. Please write l10n note about the context (important!)
>>
>> As some localizers already asked about context of some text, we need context
>> information to translate properly. We cannot translate only with new strings.
>> And please let us know max length of the field.
>>
>> b. Please write l10n note about the max string length (important!)
>>
>> Localized strings will be truncated if we cannot know the max length.
>> What you should do is not just use short words in English. It will not work.
>> Translated words will be sometimes much longer than English (even if English is
>> enough short).
>>
>> These (a and b) are very important requirement to keep l10n quality I believe.
>> Especially because localizer cannot check new version UI when they translate
>> text. Firefox and Thunderbird always write l10n note about these problems.
>> Please write more l10n note for Firefox Home.
>
> You are totally right. These are good suggestions. Cocoa strings files
actually have a facility for that (the comment) and we should use it since that
info is transferred to Verbatim.

> I just don't think that I will be able to do it for these latest changes.

Thanks understanding our request. If you Firefox Home developer write more
comment, it will definitely make l10n quality better. ;)

> What I did this time instead is simply show screenshots of the dialogs and
screens where the strings are being used. I know this is not the same, but it
should give you a good idea visually of the context and how much space is available.

> Here are the most up to date screenshots of all the places where a change is
needed:

> Easy Setup http://sa.tk/063b24ff.png
> Manual Setup http://sa.tk/f6e73c69.png
> Error http://sa.tk/b3192263.png

Thanks.
Screenshots are also really helpful to understand the context. But not always
all localizers notice about it unless you write comment about it.
But it only works when the localizer can find it.

When we update some translations (or especially for new locale), there are many
strings and difficult to find the corresponding screenshot.

So, my suggestion is to keep screenshots permanently (not temporary) within the
fx-home repo (or create a new for it) and write comment linking to it.
If you don't enough time to take screenshots, just explain the context.

> Please let me know if you have questions about these.

No problem for us to update this time.
# I already know max length of "Use Custom Server" is 20 and I can avoid to use
# too long translations.

If I know the max length of the text par line for "From a Firefox Sync-
connected...." label, I can make it sure that line break is not just before the
last word (looks poor if only 1 word is in the last line).
# max number of chars per line is another good hint for localizers

But it's not critical and we can fix expression in the next version if the
position of the line breaks are not good.
# we have already did this for the text in the about page in 1.0.2

>> c. Please make us possible to translate update info text (better to have)
>>
>> When user update Firefox Home, they can read update information.
>> Currently it is shown only in English. Please share the update description text
>> on the App Store and make us possible to translate it.
>> # but don't make it as requirement for l10n update
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>  p.s.
>> I'll take time to update ja l10n for FxHome1.1 maybe today or tomorrow.

ja locale updated. ;)