Firefox Fonts

Barbara-46
Could someone summerize the font situation for Firefix?

I'm still using Firefox 6.0 Ga, but what I remember from past posts is
that there is no way various website fonts will work for FF.

Unfortunately I'm an officer in a women's RV club, and the national
site has cleverly spruced up the site using a script font that my
version of FF defaults to Arial.  I can still use it, but I can't seem
to re-size the font so that it fits into the selection/link tabs.  And
I need to access this site frequently.   :(

If anyone wants to experiment, the site is http://www.rvingwomen.org
and if I read the source code for the home page correctly, it's using
a font called yellowtail-regular.ttf for the navigation tabs.  I found
and installed that font into ECS 2.0, but of course FF totally ignores
it.

It does (naturally) display correctly in the Windows version of FF.

Are we permanently restricted in terms of fonts?

--
Barbara

Re: Firefox Fonts

Dave Yeo-3
Barbara wrote:
> Are we permanently restricted in terms of fonts?

Unluckily, unless someone steps forward with a patch, we'll probably
never support webfonts.
In theory you should be able to have a custom CSS that would add your
yellow-tail-regular to the navigation tabs. Perhaps someone more
knowledgeable will step forward on this as I don't know how to do it.
Dave

Re: Firefox Fonts

Alfredo Fernández Díaz
Barbara wrote:
> Could someone summarize the font situation for Firefix?

As Dave said, there is no support for 'font-face' yet. That's the feature on
which most web typography relies. There's nothing in the OS/2 port that
inherently prevents it. AFAICT we simply don't know how to make it work,
because all the underlying components (at least those involving TTF fonts)
already work under OS/2.

> I'm still using Firefox 6.0 Ga, but what I remember from past posts is
> that there is no way various website fonts will work for FF.
>
> Unfortunately I'm an officer in a women's RV club, and the national
> site has cleverly spruced up the site using a script font that my
> version of FF defaults to Arial.  I can still use it, but I can't seem
> to re-size the font so that it fits into the selection/link tabs.  And
> I need to access this site frequently.   :(
>
> If anyone wants to experiment, the site is http://www.rvingwomen.org
> and if I read the source code for the home page correctly, it's using
> a font called yellowtail-regular.ttf for the navigation tabs.  I found
> and installed that font into ECS 2.0, but of course FF totally ignores
> it.

I tried it under MCP2, FireFox 6.02, with the default font configuration on
that profile (I have no idea what fonts that actually defaults to, I suspect
your system may use others). No fancy web fonts, but pressing Ctrl+minus once
shrunk the font FF uses there so the text inside the navigation 'tabs' of the
site stayed in.

Another solution would be to download that font and write a custom user CSS
file to use for that site. I can provide help with this if necessary.

> It does (naturally) display correctly in the Windows version of FF.

'font-face' works in the Windows port.

> Are we permanently restricted in terms of fonts?

We are currently restricted in how we can use them.

Re: Firefox Fonts

Barbara-46
On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 00:18:42 UTC, Alfredo Fern ndez D¡az <"mrwarper
-whirly thing- yahoo dot es">
 wrote:

> Another solution would be to download that font and write a custom user CSS
> file to use for that site. I can provide help with this if necessary.

I've already found this as a possibility and would really like to see
a working example.  I know where to put it in my profile, but couldn't
figure out how to make it work for one website only.

So far I've learned you need a "Chrome" sub-directory under the
profile directory, then "simply" write a CSS statement and save that
in a "usercontent.css" text file.  I got stumped on what to put in it.

My searches have found examples for everything under the sun except
one font for one website.  The Arial substitution may be working on
other websites, but this is the only one causing problems.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

--
Barbara

Re: Firefox Fonts

Felix Miata-2
On 2012/02/02 09:05 (GMT-0800) Dave Yeo composed:

> Barbara wrote:

>> Are we permanently restricted in terms of fonts?

> Unluckily, unless someone steps forward with a patch, we'll probably
> never support webfonts.

> In theory you should be able to have a custom CSS that would add your
> yellow-tail-regular to the navigation tabs. Perhaps someone more
> knowledgeable will step forward on this as I don't know how to do it.

What webfonts? I looked at
http://www.rvingwomen.org/global_inc/site_templates/YM-OR-03/combined.css?_v=1.20.102.118&context=hp
and don't see anything specified but 'Yellowtail'. An excerpt of that CSS file
I've attached, which could be saved as rvingwomenorg-combined.css to her
profile's chrome dir as a framework to customize CSS for that site via a call
in userContent.css "@import url("rvingwomenorg-combined.css");".

Barbara doesn't seem to have installed "Yellowtail", as specified in the site's
CSS, but "Yellowtail-regular". By adding !important to each font-family rule
and adding yellowtail-regular and/or some other installed font she prefers it
may work better. Also as it seems to be a size issue too, changing the size in
those rules might do the trick. Another possible fix might be overriding the px
sizes for line-height (change to normal or 1.2?).

What does OS2/eCS' Font Pallete call what she installed? Maybe a name
difference is the only problem?

http://www.rvingwomen.org/ grossly overspecifies CSS, typical of amateur site
stylists and sites that use templates designed by other incompetents. Since
Barbara's an officer in that org, maybe she could have some tweaking done to
the site's CSS to avoid the problem she's having. The rude px-based sizing is
probably the real root of her problem, not really the fonts specified
themselves. Each platform varies a bit in rendering size of the various fonts,
with hers doing a bit bigger with the particular fonts involved than those on
the site's designer's. Mac maybe?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Firefox Fonts

Barbara-46
On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 11:43:06 UTC, Felix Miata
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012/02/02 09:05 (GMT-0800) Dave Yeo composed:
>
> > Barbara wrote:
>
> >> Are we permanently restricted in terms of fonts?
>
> > Unluckily, unless someone steps forward with a patch, we'll probably
> > never support webfonts.
>
> > In theory you should be able to have a custom CSS that would add your
> > yellow-tail-regular to the navigation tabs. Perhaps someone more
> > knowledgeable will step forward on this as I don't know how to do it.
>

> What webfonts? I looked at
> http://www.rvingwomen.org/global_inc/site_templates/YM-OR-03/combined.css?_v=1.20.102.118&context=hp
> and don't see anything specified but 'Yellowtail'. An excerpt of that CSS file
> I've attached, which could be saved as rvingwomenorg-combined.css to her
> profile's chrome dir as a framework to customize CSS for that site via a call
> in userContent.css "@import url("rvingwomenorg-combined.css");".

This is fantastic!  Would you believe I was very close to discovering
all this all by myself?  It was the "@import url(.......css) line that
I couldn't find and that was causing me concern.  I've coded HTML for
simple websites, but am not a CSS expert.  I do have the source code
for the website, and see exactly what you are seeing.

> Barbara doesn't seem to have installed "Yellowtail", as specified in the site's
> CSS, but "Yellowtail-regular". By adding !important to each font-family rule
> and adding yellowtail-regular and/or some other installed font she prefers it
> may work better. Also as it seems to be a size issue too, changing the size in
> those rules might do the trick. Another possible fix might be overriding the px
> sizes for line-height (change to normal or 1.2?).

I can tweak sizes and related.

> What does OS2/eCS' Font Pallete call what she installed? Maybe a name
> difference is the only problem?

It calls it "Yellowtail".  Shows up in \psfonts\ just like it's
supposed to.

> http://www.rvingwomen.org/ grossly overspecifies CSS, typical of amateur site
> stylists and sites that use templates designed by other incompetents. Since
> Barbara's an officer in that org, maybe she could have some tweaking done to
> the site's CSS to avoid the problem she's having. The rude px-based sizing is
> probably the real root of her problem, not really the fonts specified
> themselves. Each platform varies a bit in rendering size of the various fonts,
> with hers doing a bit bigger with the particular fonts involved than those on
> the site's designer's. Mac maybe?

This web site was designed by "YourMembership.com".  The national
organization of RVW paid big bucks to get this company to set up the
website which has caused so many headaches.  It's a "don't get me
started" issue.  I'm working directly with the webmaster, who is
really just an RVW member who has to pass any changes through
YourMembership.com.  It's a mess, I agree.

I have not yet constructed and implemented my .css file for this font
problem, but will work on that today.  Your input has really helped.
I'll report back if I can get it to work.  Thanks!!!

--
Barbara

Re: Firefox Fonts

Alfredo Fernández Díaz
Barbara wrote:
> I've already found this as a possibility and would really like to see
> a working example.  I know where to put it in my profile, but couldn't
> figure out how to make it work for one website only.
> My searches have found examples for everything under the sun except
> one font for one website.  The Arial substitution may be working on
> other websites, but this is the only one causing problems.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

What you're missing is probably just the directive "@-moz-document".

in your user CSS simply add

@-moz-document url(http://...),
   url-prefix(another url),
   domain(domain.ext)
{
   /* CSS rules here apply to:
      + The page "http://...".
      + Any pages which URL begins with the url-prefix
      + Any page which URL's host is "domain.ext" or ends with ".domain.ext"
   */
   body { ... }

or alternatively you can prevent cluttering it too much importing other files
like this:

@import url(whatever.css);

with whatever.css containing

@-moz-document domain(YourSite.com) {
   background: ...
}

Didn't googling up 'site-specific user CSS' return anything useful?

Re: Firefox Fonts

Barbara-46
On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 17:12:59 UTC, Alfredo Fern ndez D¡az <"mrwarper
-whirly thing- yahoo dot es">
 wrote:

> Barbara wrote:
> > I've already found this as a possibility and would really like to see
> > a working example.  I know where to put it in my profile, but couldn't
> > figure out how to make it work for one website only.
> > My searches have found examples for everything under the sun except
> > one font for one website.  The Arial substitution may be working on
> > other websites, but this is the only one causing problems.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!
>
> What you're missing is probably just the directive "@-moz-document".
>
> in your user CSS simply add
>
> @-moz-document url(http://...),
>    url-prefix(another url),
>    domain(domain.ext)
> {
>    /* CSS rules here apply to:
>       + The page "http://...".
>       + Any pages which URL begins with the url-prefix
>       + Any page which URL's host is "domain.ext" or ends with ".domain.ext"
>    */
>    body { ... }
> }
>
> or alternatively you can prevent cluttering it too much importing other files
> like this:
>
> @import url(whatever.css);
>
> with whatever.css containing
>
> @-moz-document domain(YourSite.com) {
>    background: ...
> }
>
> Didn't googling up 'site-specific user CSS' return anything useful?
Yes, it certainly did.  But since I rarely think about CSS, it's a
matter of sorting out which rules apply, and which file to put them
into.  I think I understand it now.

I'm still working on it.

Thanks!!!!

--
Barbara

Re: Firefox Fonts

Alfredo Fernández Díaz
Barbara wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 17:12:59 UTC, Alfredo Fern ndez D¡az<"mrwarper
> -whirly thing- yahoo dot es"
> wrote:

>> Didn't googling up 'site-specific user CSS' return anything useful?
>
> Yes, it certainly did.  But since I rarely think about CSS, it's a
> matter of sorting out which rules apply, and which file to put them
> into.  I think I understand it now.
>
> I'm still working on it.
>
> Thanks!!!!

You're welcome. Report your success story, or request more help if you need it :)

Re: Firefox Fonts - IT"S WORKING!

Barbara-46
First, special thanks to Felix and Alfredo!  You gave me enough clues
to wade through this.

I had to give up on the "Yellowtail" font, which never worked. In
spite of appearing to install correctly in eCS, it would not display
in Firefox.  I did find another similar script font called
"Alako-Bold.ttf" that is displaying correctly, fitting into the
rvingwomen.org website/webpage navigation tabs without any size
manipulation.  No overlaps, no wrapping, no spaces around the edges!

For anyone following this:

1. Install the font you want to use

2. Find the Firefox profile that you are using.

3. Create (if necessary) a "Chrome" sub-directory under the named
profile.

4. In the "Chrome" directory create two text/CSS files

5. First text file is "userContent.css" which in my case only contains
a call for the second text/CSS file.

6. Second text file contains the actual font information necessary for
the display in Firefox.  This information was snipped from one of the
website css files and edited for "MY" font.

I can post the actual file contents if anyone is interested, but Felix
almost did it for me.

Thanks to all.

--
Barbara

On 02/03/12 12:19 pm, Barbara wrote:
> I had to give up on the "Yellowtail" font, which never worked. In
> spite of appearing to install correctly in eCS, it would not display
> in Firefox.

Glad to hear that you got it working. Did the Yellowtail font display
correctly in eCS? Have you tried FF10? and where did you download
Yellowtail from?
Dave

Re: Firefox Fonts - IT"S WORKING!

Barbara-46
On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 02:33:26 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 02/03/12 12:19 pm, Barbara wrote:
> > I had to give up on the "Yellowtail" font, which never worked. In
> > spite of appearing to install correctly in eCS, it would not display
> > in Firefox.
>
> Glad to hear that you got it working. Did the Yellowtail font display
> correctly in eCS? Have you tried FF10? and where did you download
> Yellowtail from?
> Dave

It was some "free font" site, where the sample looked like just what I
wanted.  In fact I downloaded it from two different places just in
case something was different.  Files looked identical, and when
installed it looked OK in eCS font pallette.  I haven't tried it in
any other application.

And no, I haven't yet tried FF10.

--
Barbara

wrote:

> On 02/03/12 12:19 pm, Barbara wrote:
> > I had to give up on the "Yellowtail" font, which never worked. In
> > spite of appearing to install correctly in eCS, it would not display
> > in Firefox.
>
> Glad to hear that you got it working. Did the Yellowtail font display
> correctly in eCS? Have you tried FF10? and where did you download
> Yellowtail from?
> Dave

I think I figured out why Yellowtail doesn't work for the RVW website
using my version of Firefox.  The font is fine, but here's what I
found in a second rvingwomen.org css file:

File: css.css

@font-face {
  font-family: 'Yellowtail';
  font-style: normal;
  font-weight: normal;
  src: local('Yellowtail'),
url('http://themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/yellowtail/v3/Gc
IHC9QEwVkrA19LJU1qlBsxEYwM7FgeyaSgU71cLG0.woff') format('woff');
}

Seems @font-face is ignored, and if I read that correctly that pretty
much kills anthing I was trying to do, and I can't change that.

I did try Yellowtail font which I downloaded/installed in eCS and it
works fine in OpenOffice.

--
Barbara

Barbara wrote:
> Seems @font-face is ignored, and if I read that correctly that pretty
> much kills anthing I was trying to do, and I can't change that.
>
> I did try Yellowtail font which I downloaded/installed in eCS and it
> works fine in OpenOffice.

OK, I misunderstood the not working part thinking that perhaps there was
something weird about yellowtail that screwed up our fontconfig port.
Thanks for the feedback
Dave