Firefox Focus Screenshots 20170202-1618 (br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq, th, uz)

Firefox Focus Screenshots 20170202-1618 (br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq, th, uz)

Stefan Arentz-5
So many new locales! Thank you!

    br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq,
th, uz

For now only complete (100%) locales are included.

https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/focus/screenshots/20170202-1618/Focus/iPhone5s/screenshots.html
https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/focus/screenshots/20170202-1618/Focus/iPhone7Plus/screenshots.html

https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/focus/screenshots/20170202-1618/Klar/iPhone5s/screenshots.html
https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/focus/screenshots/20170202-1618/Klar/iPhone7Plus/screenshots.html

(Focus & Klar are the same product, just with a different branding. Same
strings are used in both.)

Send me an email if you want to try out a beta build of Focus on your iOS
device.

 S.

Re: Firefox Focus Screenshots 20170202-1618 (br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq, th, uz)

Michael Bauer-11
Some questions, please

In this environment, how do I
a) force a line break
or
b) specify a non-breaking hyphen?
in order to prevent a-rithist breaking across lines, which is not permitted?
https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/focus/screenshots/20170202-1618/Focus/iPhone5s/gd/iPhone5s-01Home-d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e.png

Apologies if this was already answered but in this
https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/focus/screenshots/20170202-1618/Focus/iPhone5s/gd/iPhone5s-09SettingsBlockOtherContentTrackers-d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e.png
what effect does
I understand vs No thanks
actually have? "I understand" sounds like "I understand that some stuff
might no longer work but ok, go ahead, block other trackers please". But
"No thanks" leaves me (maybe just me?) wondering what I'm saying no
thanks to? Changing the settings? Blocking other trackers? To the
message? Perhaps because logically, I have to understand what Focus is
telling me whether I want to do it or not. It's not like if I don't want
to do it, I don't understand what it is.
Perhaps "Block anyway" and "Don't block" would be a whole lot clearer?

Michael

Sgrìobh Stefan Arentz na leanas 03/02/2017 aig 03:46:

--
*Akerbeltz <http://www.faclair.com/>*
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon

*Tha Gàidhlig aig a' choimpiutair agad, siuthad, feuch e!*
Iomadh rud eadar prògraman oifis, brabhsairean, predictive texting,
geamannan is mòran a bharrachd. Tadhail oirnn aig www.iGàidhlig.net
<http://www.iGaidhlig.net/>

Re: Firefox Focus Screenshots 20170202-1618 (br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq, th, uz)

Tim Chien (MozTW)
On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> b) specify a non-breaking hyphen?

I wonder if U+2011 (non-breaking hyphen) can help you out here?

Re: Firefox Focus Screenshots 20170202-1618 (br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq, th, uz)

Michael Bauer-11
I think in Firefox for iOS \x2011 didn't seem to work, which is why I
was asking - but I took my eye off the ball with that particular issue,
so maybe there has been a fix? Which is why I was asking if anyone knows
for certain :)

Sgrìobh Tim Chien (MozTW) na leanas 03/02/2017 aig 09:51:

> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     b) specify a non-breaking hyphen?
>

> I wonder if U+2011 (non-breaking hyphen) can help you out here?

--
*Akerbeltz <http://www.faclair.com/>*
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon
Fòn: +44-141-946 4437
Facs: +44-141-945 2701

*Tha Gàidhlig aig a' choimpiutair agad, siuthad, feuch e!*
Iomadh rud eadar prògraman oifis, brabhsairean, predictive texting,
geamannan is mòran a bharrachd. Tadhail oirnn aig www.iGàidhlig.net
<http://www.iGaidhlig.net/>

Re: Firefox Focus Screenshots 20170202-1618 (br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq, th, uz)

Stefan Arentz-5
Unicode 0x2011 is a non-breaking hyphen. So it does the opposite. It
inserts a hyphen on which the text engine will never break up the word.
http://www.unicodemap.org/details/0x2011/index.html

What you want is the soft hyphen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_hyphen

How to put this in depends on the tool you use. In XML it is a &#173; for
example.

 S.

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 4:39 AM, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some questions, please
>
> In this environment, how do I
> a) force a line break
> or
> b) specify a non-breaking hyphen?
> in order to prevent a-rithist breaking across lines, which is not
> permitted?
> https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/focus/screenshots/
> 20170202-1618/Focus/iPhone5s/gd/iPhone5s-01Home-
> d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e.png

I should really have my coffee before I reply because I see now you are
asking to _prevent_ hyphenation. Let me investigate that too. Sorry for the
confusion.

 S.

Re: Firefox Focus Screenshots 20170202-1618 (br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq, th, uz)

Stefan Arentz-5
Hi Michael,

This in the XLIFF:

      <trans-unit id="Home.descriptionLabel2">
        <source>Browse. Erase. Repeat.</source>
        <target>Dèan brabhsadh. Dèan suathadh às. Agus
a&#8209;rithist.</target>
        <note>Second label for product description on the home screen</note>
      </trans-unit>

Is giving me this result:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0y4tow0yrp2gfe/Screenshot%202017-02-03%2009.20.42.png?dl=0

I don't know how this translates from our tools. What you can do is commit
a test string with some different options and the we can look at the
exported XLIFF to see which one was translated to the correct entity?

 S.

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Stefan Arentz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 4:39 AM, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Some questions, please
>>
>> In this environment, how do I
>> a) force a line break
>> or
>> b) specify a non-breaking hyphen?
>> in order to prevent a-rithist breaking across lines, which is not
>> permitted?
>> https://people-mozilla.org/~sarentz/focus/screenshots/201702
>> 02-1618/Focus/iPhone5s/gd/iPhone5s-01Home-d41d8cd98f00b2
>> 04e9800998ecf8427e.png
>>

> I should really have my coffee before I reply because I see now you are
> asking to _prevent_ hyphenation. Let me investigate that too. Sorry for the
> confusion.
>
>  S.

Re: Firefox Focus Screenshots 20170202-1618 (br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq, th, uz)

Michael Bauer-11
:D

No worries. I shall await further instructions.

Michael

Sgrìobh Stefan Arentz na leanas 03/02/2017 aig 14:12:

--
*Akerbeltz <http://www.faclair.com/>*
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon
Fòn: +44-141-946 4437
Facs: +44-141-945 2701

*Tha Gàidhlig aig a' choimpiutair agad, siuthad, feuch e!*
Iomadh rud eadar prògraman oifis, brabhsairean, predictive texting,
geamannan is mòran a bharrachd. Tadhail oirnn aig www.iGàidhlig.net
<http://www.iGaidhlig.net/>

Re: Firefox Focus Screenshots 20170202-1618 (br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq, th, uz)

Michael Bauer-11
Hi Stefan,

Ok that would do me. I've committed that string with &#8209; and I'll
check it out in the next round of screenshots.

Many thanks!

Michael

Sgrìobh Stefan Arentz na leanas 03/02/2017 aig 14:24:

--
*Akerbeltz <http://www.faclair.com/>*
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon
Fòn: +44-141-946 4437
Facs: +44-141-945 2701

*Tha Gàidhlig aig a' choimpiutair agad, siuthad, feuch e!*
Iomadh rud eadar prògraman oifis, brabhsairean, predictive texting,
geamannan is mòran a bharrachd. Tadhail oirnn aig www.iGàidhlig.net
<http://www.iGaidhlig.net/>

Re: Firefox Focus Screenshots 20170202-1618 (br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq, th, uz)

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
It doesn't look good, ampersand is escaped
https://github.com/mozilla-l10n/focusios-l10n/commit/945c63c10392e5afc04987cf202eb5fc06f01f39

I tried adding the non-breaking hyphen that is available in Pootle under
the edit textarea in Pootle. Will need a new set of screenshot after it
exports to GitHub.

Francesco

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Ok that would do me. I've committed that string with &#8209; and I'll
> check it out in the next round of screenshots.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Michael
>
> Sgrìobh Stefan Arentz na leanas 03/02/2017 aig 14:24:
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> This in the XLIFF:
>>
>>       <trans-unit id="Home.descriptionLabel2">
>>         <source>Browse. Erase. Repeat.</source>
>>         <target>Dèan brabhsadh. Dèan suathadh às. Agus
>> a&#8209;rithist.</target>
>>         <note>Second label for product description on the home
>> screen</note>
>>       </trans-unit>
>>
>> Is giving me this result:
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0y4tow0yrp2gfe/Screenshot%202017-02-03%2009.20.42.png?dl=0
>>

>> I don't know how this translates from our tools. What you can do is
>> commit a test string with some different options and the we can look
>> at the exported XLIFF to see which one was translated to the correct
>> entity?
>>
>>  S.

Re: Firefox Focus Screenshots 20170202-1618 (br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq, th, uz)

Michael Wolf-2
Stefan Arentz schrieb:
> So many new locales! Thank you!
>
>     br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq,
> th, uz
>
> For now only complete (100%) locales are included.

Thank you, Stefan.

A question: In images 06Settings and 07Settings the word "Back" is not
translated. Is this word from iOS? iOS does not exist in Sorbian
languages. And if it is so, could you replace it by a Focus string?

Another question: Sorbian languages are spoken in Germany. The German
version uses the brand name Klar instead of Focus. Can I use Klar as
well? I'm sure Sorbs will know the German version as well and I think it
will be a little irritating when they see two different names of the
same program. Or, is the name Klar limited to the German version?

A third thing: there is a string "You are now leaving Firefox Focus."
Here the brand name is hardcoded. Shouldn't it be a variable like
%PRODUCTNAME?

Thanks.

Michael

---

Re: Firefox Focus Screenshots 20170202-1618 (br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq, th, uz)

Delphine L
On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Michael Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stefan Arentz schrieb:
>
>> So many new locales! Thank you!
>>
>>     br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq,
>> th, uz
>>
>> For now only complete (100%) locales are included.
>>

> Thank you, Stefan.
>
> A question: In images 06Settings and 07Settings the word "Back" is not
> translated. Is this word from iOS? iOS does not exist in Sorbian languages.
> And if it is so, could you replace it by a Focus string?

Hey Michael,

Yes this is correct - the word is from iOS and it's because your locale
isn't supported by the OS itself. I don't believe we could change that,
unfortunately :/

> Another question: Sorbian languages are spoken in Germany. The German
> version uses the brand name Klar instead of Focus. Can I use Klar as well?
> I'm sure Sorbs will know the German version as well and I think it will be
> a little irritating when they see two different names of the same program.
> Or, is the name Klar limited to the German version?

It seems the app name is country dependent and is offered under a different
name depending on the country you install it from.

If you install it in Germany, Switzerland and Austria, it will be called
Klar. Otherwise, it will be called Focus.

> A third thing: there is a string "You are now leaving Firefox Focus." Here
> the brand name is hardcoded. Shouldn't it be a variable like %PRODUCTNAME?

From what I understand, you're right and we should be using a variable like %@
instead.

Let's wait for confirmation from Stefan though to make sure there's not a
reason this is like this!

thanks
delphine

> Thanks.
>
> Michael
>

> ---

Delphine

Re: Firefox Focus Screenshots 20170202-1618 (br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq, th, uz)

Stefan Arentz-5
On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 7:38 PM, Delphine L <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Michael Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Stefan Arentz schrieb:
> >
> >> So many new locales! Thank you!
> >>
> >>     br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq,
> >> th, uz
> >>
> >> For now only complete (100%) locales are included.
> >>

> > Thank you, Stefan.
> >
> > A question: In images 06Settings and 07Settings the word "Back" is not
> > translated. Is this word from iOS? iOS does not exist in Sorbian
> languages.
> > And if it is so, could you replace it by a Focus string?
> >

> Hey Michael,
>
> Yes this is correct - the word is from iOS and it's because your locale
> isn't supported by the OS itself. I don't believe we could change that,
> unfortunately :/

We use the system back button, so for 'second tier locales' (i made that
up, i don't know how iOS calls this), the button label is not translated
and appears in English.

However, what we can do is simply not use a system Back button but provide
our own localized version. We have done that for Firefox too I think. I
remember the Cancel button being localized even though it is usually a
system button.

Because Sorbian is a second tier language, there will also be some system
dialogs in english that we cannot change, but if we cover things like back
buttons then at least the app itself will look pretty consistent. Which I
think is a good thing.

I'll file a bug if we think that is worth it.

> > A third thing: there is a string "You are now leaving Firefox Focus."
> Here
> > the brand name is hardcoded. Shouldn't it be a variable like
> %PRODUCTNAME?
> >

> From what I understand, you're right and we should be using a variable
> like %@
> instead.
>
> Let's wait for confirmation from Stefan though to make sure there's not a
> reason this is like this!

Yeah we missed that one. It should indeed be a placeholder where we fill in
Klar or Focus. We can push a new string early next week.

Question: if I do a bulk change for this directly in the Focus L10N Git
repo, will that change appear back in the tools that people use? For
example, does Pontoon sync two way with the git repo? If this is the case
then I am happy to fix this manually to lessen the burden on the
contributors.

 S.

Re: Firefox Focus Screenshots 20170202-1618 (br, dsb, eo, fa, ga-IE, gd, hi-IN, hsb, lo, nb-NO, nn-NO, pt-PT, sq, th, uz)

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
 > However, what we can do is simply not use a system Back button but
provide
 > our own localized version. We have done that for Firefox too I think. I
 > remember the Cancel button being localized even though it is usually a
 > system button.

For reference, that would be

Francesco