Firefox Central page

Hasse-2
What should we do with the Firefox Central page?
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/xx/products/firefox/start/central.html

The current page, written for Firefox 1.0, is not really suited for
Firefox 1.5. The section on adding an RSS feed is out of date.

--
Hasse
Mozilla sv-SE L10n team

Re: Firefox Central page

Axel Hecht
Hasse wrote:
> What should we do with the Firefox Central page?
> http://www.mozilla-europe.org/xx/products/firefox/start/central.html
>
> The current page, written for Firefox 1.0, is not really suited for
> Firefox 1.5. The section on adding an RSS feed is out of date.

We just updated the text versions to have the new content.

There are minor markup changes on about and get-involved, but those are
fixed for the existing pages already.

There are content changes for central.html, get the current version at
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/start/central.txt.

Make your best guess on additional search engines to add for your
locale, there are a few locales, where we minused some, those are likely
candidates.

We won't do something trademarks approval like for these, as those are
live pages, if we get complaints, we can just pull the plug.

Yes, way late, we just got that content today, too.

Axel

Re: Firefox Central page

Hasse-2
In article <dmfa5o$[hidden email]>, Axel Hecht wrote...

> Hasse wrote:
> > What should we do with the Firefox Central page?
> > http://www.mozilla-europe.org/xx/products/firefox/start/central.html
> >
> > The current page, written for Firefox 1.0, is not really suited for
> > Firefox 1.5. The section on adding an RSS feed is out of date.
> >

> We just updated the text versions to have the new content.
>
> There are minor markup changes on about and get-involved, but those are
> fixed for the existing pages already.
>
> There are content changes for central.html, get the current version at
> http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/start/central.txt.
>
> Make your best guess on additional search engines to add for your
> locale, there are a few locales, where we minused some, those are likely
> candidates.
>
> We won't do something trademarks approval like for these, as those are
> live pages, if we get complaints, we can just pull the plug.
>
> Yes, way late, we just got that content today, too.

OK, thanks. To whom do we send the translated Central page?

--
Hasse
Mozilla sv-SE L10n team

Re: Firefox Central page

Novica Nakov

> OK, thanks. To whom do we send the translated Central page?

According to http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Firefox_Extras#Start_Pages
it should be send to startpages (at) mozilla-europe (dot) org.

The new page looks pretty thin on text. Is this the whole page, or a
patch for the previous version?

--
Novica

Re: Firefox Central page

Axel Hecht
Novica Nakov wrote:

>> OK, thanks. To whom do we send the translated Central page?
>
> According to http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Firefox_Extras#Start_Pages
> it should be send to startpages (at) mozilla-europe (dot) org.
>
> The new page looks pretty thin on text. Is this the whole page, or a
> patch for the previous version?

Thanks for catching this, this slipped our fingers at Mozilla Europe.
This central is actually referring to other pages which are part of our
regular web-presence. Sorry for that.

There are two different versions now:

In general, you want to localize
http://stage.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/start/central1.txt.
Make a good guess on which search engines to use, if you have to adjust
the js, do so.

For locales that do have a complete presence on mozilla-europe.org,
please get in touch with your site localizer and get the original
central.html localized inside the CMS.

Sorry, and I'll update the wiki, too.

Axel

Re: Firefox Central page

Axel Hecht
Axel Hecht wrote:

> Novica Nakov wrote:
>>
>>> OK, thanks. To whom do we send the translated Central page?
>>
>> According to http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Firefox_Extras#Start_Pages
>> it should be send to startpages (at) mozilla-europe (dot) org.
>>
>> The new page looks pretty thin on text. Is this the whole page, or a
>> patch for the previous version?
>
> Thanks for catching this, this slipped our fingers at Mozilla Europe.
> This central is actually referring to other pages which are part of our
> regular web-presence. Sorry for that.
>
> There are two different versions now:
>
> In general, you want to localize
> http://stage.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/start/central1.txt.

Of course that'd be
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/start/central1.txt

Axel (Ouch for posting at 2am)

Re: Firefox Central page

Axel Hecht
Axel Hecht wrote:
> In general, you want to localize
> http://stage.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/start/central1.txt.

Darn, we forgot to publish that to www last night, silly.

I attached the version for now.

Axel

<head>
  <title>Firefox Central</title>
</head>

<h2>WELCOME TO FIREFOX</h2>

<h2>Check out these cool features</h2>

<h3 id="central-engines">Add search engines</h3>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
function errorMsg(name,ext,cat)
{
  // alert("Netscape 6 or Mozilla is needed to install a sherlock plugin");
  f=document.createElement("form");
  f.setAttribute("name","installform");
  f.setAttribute("method","post");
  f.setAttribute("action","http://mycroft.mozdev.org/error.html");
  fe=document.createElement("input");
  fe.setAttribute("type","hidden");
  fe.setAttribute("name","name");
  fe.setAttribute("value",name);
  f.appendChild(fe);
  fe=document.createElement("input");
  fe.setAttribute("type","hidden");
  fe.setAttribute("name","ext");
  fe.setAttribute("value",ext);
  f.appendChild(fe);
  fe=document.createElement("input");
  fe.setAttribute("type","hidden");
  fe.setAttribute("name","cat");
  fe.setAttribute("value",cat);
  f.appendChild(fe);
  document.getElementsByTagName("body")[0].appendChild(f);
  if (document.installform) {
    document.installform.submit();
  } else {
    location.href="http://mycroft.mozdev.org/error.html"; //hack for DOM-incompatible browsers
function addEngine(name,ext,cat,type)
{
  if ((typeof window.sidebar == "object") && (typeof
  window.sidebar.addSearchEngine == "function"))
  {
    //cat="Web";
    //cat=prompt("In what category should this engine be installed?","Web")
    if (type!="0") {      window.sidebar.addSearchEngine(
        "http://mycroft.mozdev.org/nowrapper/submit-install.php/v/" + type + "/" + name + ".src",
        "http://mycroft.mozdev.org/nowrapper/submit-install.php/i/" + type + "/" + name + "."+ ext,
        name,
        cat );
    } else {      window.sidebar.addSearchEngine(
        "http://mycroft.mozdev.org/plugins/"+name+".src",
        "http://mycroft.mozdev.org/plugins/"+name+"."+ext,
        name,
        cat );
    }  }
  else
  {
    errorMsg(name,ext,cat);
//-->

</script>
<ul>
 <li><a href="javascript:addEngine('webster','gif','Language dictionary','0')">Merriam-Webster</a> Look up a word in the dictionary</li>
 <li><a href="javascript:addEngine('wikipedia','png','Reference','2286')">Wikipedia</a> An incredible, free, online encyclopedia</li>
</ul>

<h3>Live Bookmarks</h3>

<h3>Tabbed Browsing</h3>

<ul id="nav2nd">