Firefox: Can't open url in iframe?

Bryan Garaventa-2
Hi, if you could help me figure this out, I'd really appreciate it. This is driving me nuts.

I have a shopping service at
http://gutterstar.net/amazon.php
Which dynamically loads the shopping service using a hidden iframe within the page. This is used to make the service accessible without having to use a page refresh each time, and thus making the AJAX functionality feasible.
For testing purposes, I've also created the following page at
http://gutterstar.net/amazon2.php
Which does not load automatically, but will when the Refresh button is clicked.

The functionality works perfectly using IE, yet, in FF, the navigation always opens the iframe page in the top level window, which defeats the purpose of the service.

This is the code that activates the iframe url within the attached JS file of the main page...

url = 'amazon___.php?u=' + encodeURIComponent(url);
frames['amazonFrm'].location.href = url;

I'm using the exact same functionality for the news feed page at
http://gutterstar.net/news.php
And am getting completely different results. In this case, if you click on the news feeds, they do appear within the iframe correctly, yet, are all garbled if you choose any of the news feeds accept the first CBS Top News Stories. If you choose the first one, it appears correctly. Everything else is totally unreadable though, even though it uses the exact same code to access each news feed.

This is the JS code for the news feed iframe...

frames['newsFrm'].location.href = url;

Again, this too works perfectly in IE. I'd like it to work in both browsers though if possible.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Bryan

Re: Firefox: Can't open url in iframe?

Steve Lee-3
Hi Bryan,

you are likely to get a good answer on one of the general lists as we
discuss accessibility specifics here and this sounds like a general
issue.

good luck

--
Steve Lee
Open Source Assistive Technology Software and Accessibility