Firefox Build Exception: Could not find a suitable make implementation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Firefox Build Exception: Could not find a suitable make implementation

racdit
Hi,

I am trying to setup firefox build following https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Simple_Firefox_build 
but I am getting exception:

Exception: Could not find a suitable make implementation.

  File "/cygdrive/c/mozilla-central/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/mach_commands.py", line 390, in build
    silent=not verbose)
  File "/cygdrive/c/mozilla-central/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/base.py", line 483, in _run_make
    args = self._make_path()
  File "/cygdrive/c/mozilla-central/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/base.py", line 602, in _make_path
    raise Exception('Could not find a suitable make implementation.')

What does this mean?

Any help?
_______________________________________________
dev-builds mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-builds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox Build Exception: Could not find a suitable make implementation

Benjamin Smedberg
On 6/17/15 3:45 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to setup firefox build following https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Simple_Firefox_build
> but I am getting exception:
>
> Exception: Could not find a suitable make implementation.
>
>    File "/cygdrive/c/mozilla-central/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/mach_commands.py", line 390, in build
>      silent=not verbose)
>    File "/cygdrive/c/mozilla-central/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/base.py", line 483, in _run_make
>      args = self._make_path()
>    File "/cygdrive/c/mozilla-central/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/base.py", line 602, in _make_path
>      raise Exception('Could not find a suitable make implementation.')
>
> What does this mean?
The presence of /cygdrive paths in your error message means that you're
using cygwin tools and somehow those are polluting your build
environment. There shouldn't be any cygwin tools (python, make, or
anything else) in your mozillabuild environment. You don't need cygwin
at all to build Firefox.

--BDS

>
> Any help?
> _______________________________________________
> dev-builds mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-builds

_______________________________________________
dev-builds mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-builds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox Build Exception: Could not find a suitable make implementation

Gregory Szorc-3
On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 7:47 AM, Benjamin Smedberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 6/17/15 3:45 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to setup firefox build following https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Simple_Firefox_build
but I am getting exception:

Exception: Could not find a suitable make implementation.

   File "/cygdrive/c/mozilla-central/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/mach_commands.py", line 390, in build
     silent=not verbose)
   File "/cygdrive/c/mozilla-central/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/base.py", line 483, in _run_make
     args = self._make_path()
   File "/cygdrive/c/mozilla-central/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/base.py", line 602, in _make_path
     raise Exception('Could not find a suitable make implementation.')

What does this mean?
The presence of /cygdrive paths in your error message means that you're using cygwin tools and somehow those are polluting your build environment. There shouldn't be any cygwin tools (python, make, or anything else) in your mozillabuild environment. You don't need cygwin at all to build Firefox.


I would add that you should delete your own MozillaBuild directory and install MozillaBuild 2.0.0, which was released a few days ago. If you start a shell via the start-msvc-*.bat scripts, things should "just work."


_______________________________________________
dev-builds mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-builds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox Build Exception: Could not find a suitable make implementation

racdit
In reply to this post by Benjamin Smedberg
Ok, I will install MozillaBuild 2.0.0. Following the same Simple Firefox Build page, it says:

Building
To start the build, cd into the mozilla-central subdirectory (created automatically by the hg clone command), and run:

./mach build
mach is our command-line tool to streamline common developer tasks.


When I do this on my Windows7 command prompt, it says:

C:\mozilla-central>./mach build
'.' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\mozilla-central>/mach build
'/mach' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\mozilla-central>mach build
'mach' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\mozilla-central>start mach build
it opens up a select dialog to select the program to open it with


This is my first time that I am building Mozilla Firefox, so I am sorry if I am asking a bit too much...

Any help?
_______________________________________________
dev-builds mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-builds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox Build Exception: Could not find a suitable make implementation

Mike Hommey
On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 10:03:44PM -0700, [hidden email] wrote:
> Ok, I will install MozillaBuild 2.0.0. Following the same Simple Firefox Build page, it says:
>
> Building
> To start the build, cd into the mozilla-central subdirectory (created automatically by the hg clone command), and run:

In the Windows build prerequisites page that's linked from the Simple
Firefox Build page, it says:

After the prerequisites are installed, launch one of the following batch
files from the directory to which you installed MozillaBuild
(c:\mozilla-build by default):

    start-shell-msvc2013.bat (for Visual Studio 2013)

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Build_Instructions/Windows_Prerequisites#Opening_a_build_command_prompt

_______________________________________________
dev-builds mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-builds