Firefox 78.0.1 realease, its stupid to change about pages close buttons .

Firefox 78.0.1 realease, its stupid to change about pages close buttons .

hjkoiiu
I was able to close many pages by one right click and a left click.(right or all)

And now Firefox 78.0.1 make close right side pages and close all pages

into a cloumn.

And then I have to wait to close pages for few seconds.

Its a totally not nessesary change.

Its stupid to make that change.

Hope you know what I am talking.

Thanks for reading.

Re: Firefox 78.0.1 realease, its stupid to change about pages close buttons .

Big Al-3
On 7/7/20 8:18 AM, this is what [hidden email] wrote:

> I was able to close many pages by one right click and a left click.(right or all)
>
> And now Firefox 78.0.1 make close right side pages and close all pages
> into a cloumn.
> And then I have to wait to close pages for few seconds.
> Its a totally not nessesary change.
> Its stupid to make that change.
> Hope you know what I am talking.
>
> Thanks for reading.

It's so stupid.  I know they gave a reason, but in a drop down context menu of only ~6 items, they take 2 items off, and add one line for a
new sub menu for those two.  A net savings of 1 line, woopie!!

Re: Firefox 78.0.1 realease, its stupid to change about pages close buttons .

WaltS48-12
On 7/7/20 9:14 AM, Big Al wrote:

> On 7/7/20 8:18 AM, this is what [hidden email] wrote:
>> I was able to close many pages by one right click and a left
>> click.(right or all)
>>
>> And now Firefox 78.0.1 make close right side pages and close all pages
>> into a cloumn.
>> And then I have to wait to close pages for few seconds.
>> Its a totally not nessesary change.
>> Its stupid to make that change.
>> Hope you know what I am talking.
>>
>> Thanks for reading.
>>
> It's so stupid.  I know they gave a reason, but in a drop down context
> menu of only ~6 items, they take 2 items off, and add one line for a new
> sub menu for those two.  A net savings of 1 line, woopie!!

Less mistakes by users accidentally choosing the wrong option.

I select the the first tab I want to close, then use the Shift key to
select the last tab, and click the Close x. Been doing that ever since
it was introduced as a feature.

Rarely use the context menu.

YMMV

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/

Re: Firefox 78.0.1 realease, its stupid to change about pages close buttons .

Mayayana
"Big Al" <[hidden email]> wrote

| It's so stupid.  I know they gave a reason, but in a drop down context
menu of only ~6 items, they take 2 items off, and add one line for a
| new sub menu for those two.  A net savings of 1 line, woopie!!

 I've avoided newer versions, but I expect this still
applies:
  Did you know you can customize menus with userChrome.css?
The tricky part is that it's confusing and what passes for CSS
with Mozilla can be some very odd stuff.
  However, there are some docs if you look for them.

Example: The following that I use removes "Open in New
Private Window" and "Open in New Tab", because the only one
I use is "Open in New Window. And I use it a lot. So I remove the
clutter:

menuitem[label="New Tab"] {display: none !important;}
menuitem[label="New Private Window"] {display: none !important;}
#context-openlinkintab {display: none !important;}
#context-openlinkprivate {display: none !important;}
#context-openlinkincurrenttab {display: none !important;}
#context-bookmarklink {display: none !important;}
#context-sendlink {display: none !important;}
#context-searchselect {display: none !important;}

  I think the first two remove those items from File ->
The rest are for removing the same and other items
from the context menu. You can also add/remove
dividers. you can probably shuffle them around, but
I'm not sure.

On 7/7/20 12:24 PM, this is what Mayayana wrote:

> "Big Al" <[hidden email]> wrote
>
> | It's so stupid.  I know they gave a reason, but in a drop down context
> menu of only ~6 items, they take 2 items off, and add one line for a
> | new sub menu for those two.  A net savings of 1 line, woopie!!
> |

>   I've avoided newer versions, but I expect this still
> applies:
>    Did you know you can customize menus with userChrome.css?
> The tricky part is that it's confusing and what passes for CSS
> with Mozilla can be some very odd stuff.
>    However, there are some docs if you look for them.
>
> Example: The following that I use removes "Open in New
> Private Window" and "Open in New Tab", because the only one
> I use is "Open in New Window. And I use it a lot. So I remove the
> clutter:
>
> menuitem[label="New Tab"] {display: none !important;}
> menuitem[label="New Private Window"] {display: none !important;}
> #context-openlinkintab {display: none !important;}
> #context-openlinkprivate {display: none !important;}
> #context-openlinkincurrenttab {display: none !important;}
> #context-bookmarklink {display: none !important;}
> #context-sendlink {display: none !important;}
> #context-searchselect {display: none !important;}
>
>    I think the first two remove those items from File ->
> The rest are for removing the same and other items
> from the context menu. You can also add/remove
> dividers. you can probably shuffle them around, but
> I'm not sure.

where is this documentation?   I'd love to see something.
I on the other hand like only to open in new tabs.  The new window is useless to me.  But we can each tune css to our desires.    That's
what's good about FF and lousy about Google Chrome.

Al.

Re: Firefox 78.0.1 realease, its stupid to change about pages close buttons .

Mayayana
"Big Al" <[hidden email]> wrote

| where is this documentation?   I'd love to see something.

  You might have to just look around for the specific things
you want. I don't think I've ever seen an exhaustive list.
Just specific tweaks. You need to know not only the quirky
syntax they're using but also the IDs assigned to various
elements.

On 7/7/20 5:16 PM, this is what Mayayana wrote:

> "Big Al" <[hidden email]> wrote
>
> | where is this documentation?   I'd love to see something.
>
>    You might have to just look around for the specific things
> you want. I don't think I've ever seen an exhaustive list.
> Just specific tweaks. You need to know not only the quirky
> syntax they're using but also the IDs assigned to various
> elements.

Okay.  I use the DOM inspector to pull out the elements.   I have to play a bit, but I've been able to edit my chrome to "theme" my TB.  I
have burgundy, steel, green, salmon etc.   Different #include in userchrome.css

Fun playing with it.   I've got time on my hands (as we all do).

Re: Firefox 78.0.1 realease, its stupid to change about pages close buttons .

Big Al-3
On 7/7/20 12:24 PM, this is what Mayayana wrote:

> "Big Al" <[hidden email]> wrote
>
> | It's so stupid.  I know they gave a reason, but in a drop down context
> menu of only ~6 items, they take 2 items off, and add one line for a
> | new sub menu for those two.  A net savings of 1 line, woopie!!
> |

>   I've avoided newer versions, but I expect this still
> applies:
>    Did you know you can customize menus with userChrome.css?
> The tricky part is that it's confusing and what passes for CSS
> with Mozilla can be some very odd stuff.
>    However, there are some docs if you look for them.
>
> Example: The following that I use removes "Open in New
> Private Window" and "Open in New Tab", because the only one
> I use is "Open in New Window. And I use it a lot. So I remove the
> clutter:
>
> menuitem[label="New Tab"] {display: none !important;}
> menuitem[label="New Private Window"] {display: none !important;}
> #context-openlinkintab {display: none !important;}
> #context-openlinkprivate {display: none !important;}
> #context-openlinkincurrenttab {display: none !important;}
> #context-bookmarklink {display: none !important;}
> #context-sendlink {display: none !important;}
> #context-searchselect {display: none !important;}
>
>    I think the first two remove those items from File ->
> The rest are for removing the same and other items
> from the context menu. You can also add/remove
> dividers. you can probably shuffle them around, but
> I'm not sure.

Here are a few more if you're interested.   This is your items + more.

/**********************************************
Get rid of a few things.
*******************************************/
menuitem[label="New Tab"] {display: none !important;}
menuitem[label="New Window"] {display: none !important;}
menuitem[label="New Private Window"] {display: none !important;}
menuitem[label="Save Link to Pocket"] {display:none !important;}
menuitem[label="Send Link to Device"] {display:none !important;}
/*#context-openlinkintab {display: none !important;} */
#context-openlink {display: none !important;}
#context-openlinkprivate {display: none !important;}
#context-openlinkincurrenttab {display: none !important;}
#context-bookmarklink {display: none !important;}
#context-sendlink {display: none !important;}
/*#context-searchselect {display: none !important;} */
#contentAreaContextMenu #context-sendlinktodevice,
#contentAreaContextMenu #context-sep-sendlinktodevice {display: none !important;}

Re: Firefox 78.0.1 realease, its stupid to change about pages close buttons .

clay-14
[hidden email] wrote:

> I was able to close many pages by one right click and a left click.(right or all)
>
> And now Firefox 78.0.1 make close right side pages and close all pages
>
> into a cloumn.
>
> And then I have to wait to close pages for few seconds.
>
> Its a totally not nessesary change.
>
> Its stupid to make that change.
>
> Hope you know what I am talking.
>
> Thanks for reading.

Good news, bad news.

With the prior layout, I would sometimes hit Close all instead of Close
tabs to the right... followed by many Ctrl+Shift+t to get the ones on
the left back.

Stupid to have them stacked like that.
PITA to have to dig down another layer to get to it now.

Mozilla must have run out of things to fix, so they busy themselves
changing menus around.

WaltS48 wrote:

> On 7/7/20 9:14 AM, Big Al wrote:
>> On 7/7/20 8:18 AM, this is what [hidden email] wrote:
>>> I was able to close many pages by one right click and a left
>>> click.(right or all)
>>>
>>> And now Firefox 78.0.1 make close right side pages and close all pages
>>> into a cloumn.
>>> And then I have to wait to close pages for few seconds.
>>> Its a totally not nessesary change.
>>> Its stupid to make that change.
>>> Hope you know what I am talking.
>>>
>>> Thanks for reading.
>>>
>> It's so stupid.  I know they gave a reason, but in a drop down context
>> menu of only ~6 items, they take 2 items off, and add one line for a new
>> sub menu for those two.  A net savings of 1 line, woopie!!
>>

> Less mistakes by users accidentally choosing the wrong option.
>
> I select the the first tab I want to close, then use the Shift key to
> select the last tab, and click the Close x. Been doing that ever since
> it was introduced as a feature.
>
> Rarely use the context menu.
>
> YMMV

I removed those Close x the day after Mozilla added them.
Ever since doG invented Ctrl+w, I've had no use for a clickity button to
close a tab.

On 7/7/20 6:34 PM, clay wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> It's so stupid.  I know they gave a reason, but in a drop down
>>> context menu of only ~6 items, they take 2 items off, and add one
>>> line for a new sub menu for those two.  A net savings of 1 line,
>>> woopie!!
>>>

>> Less mistakes by users accidentally choosing the wrong option.
>>
>> I select the the first tab I want to close, then use the Shift key to
>> select the last tab, and click the Close x. Been doing that ever since
>> it was introduced as a feature.
>>
>> Rarely use the context menu.
>>
>> YMMV
>>
> I removed those Close x the day after Mozilla added them.
> Ever since doG invented Ctrl+w, I've had no use for a clickity button to
> close a tab.

I'm happy for you.

Control+W works to close multiple tabs selected using the Shift key and
tabs selected using just the Ctrl key.

I'm primarily a mouse user.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/
Why didn't he Make America Great Again in the first term?

Re: Firefox 78.0.1 realease, its stupid to change about pages close buttons .

Ant-21
On 7/7/2020 3:29 PM, clay wrote:
> Mozilla must have run out of things to fix, so they busy themselves
> changing menus around.

Out of things? There are still tons of things unfixed. :(
--
Life is so crazy! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g.,
COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths, heat waves, fires, out(r)ages,
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /     Please kindly use :( Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )

Re: Firefox 78.0.1 realease, its stupid to change about pages close buttons .

Mozilla - General mailing list
On 7/7/20 8:02 PM, this is what Ant wrote:
> On 7/7/2020 3:29 PM, clay wrote:
>> Mozilla must have run out of things to fix, so they busy themselves changing menus around.
>
> Out of things? There are still tons of things unfixed. :(

That's another subject for discussion.
I see a lot of software with open issues yet they seem to keep wanting to add stuff, that also adds to the issues list.

Re: Firefox 78.0.1 realease, its stupid to change about pages close buttons .

Mayayana
"Big Al" <[hidden email]> wrote

| > Out of things? There are still tons of things unfixed. :(
|
| That's another subject for discussion.
| I see a lot of software with open issues yet they seem to keep wanting to
add stuff, that also adds to the issues list.

  I think you have to find a balance. If you allow
dripfeed updates then you're an unpaid beta tester
on an unstable system. Newer is not necessarily
better.

   I currently have a sweet spot with FF 52, spoofed
as FF 76, which is very much usable with the addition
of about 6 extensions, numerous prefs adjustments,
userChrome settings, and lots of userContent.css
settings. Though the customizing has reached an
absurd point. I need to back up my app data and
extensions, as well as HOSTS, in case I need to reinstall
at some point.

    On machines where I don't care so much about
security and privacy, only using them for a handful
of specific sites, I'm using recent FF or Waterfox,
with NoScript. But those are not adequate for normal
use in terms of either security or privacy. I'm increasingly
seeing the Internet as two modes: The sites where I
need functionality, like social security or Hoopla, and
the rest of the Web, where I block tracking and executable
code.

WaltS48 wrote:

> On 7/7/20 6:34 PM, clay wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Less mistakes by users accidentally choosing the wrong option.
>>>
>>> I select the the first tab I want to close, then use the Shift key to
>>> select the last tab, and click the Close x. Been doing that ever since
>>> it was introduced as a feature.
>>>
>>> Rarely use the context menu.
>>>
>>> YMMV
>>>
>> I removed those Close x the day after Mozilla added them.
>> Ever since doG invented Ctrl+w, I've had no use for a clickity button to
>> close a tab.
>
> I'm happy for you.
>
> Control+W works to close multiple tabs selected using the Shift key and
> tabs selected using just the Ctrl key.
>
> I'm primarily a mouse user.

Shift+click/Ctrl+click tabs must be a new feature. Newer than my v60
ESR, anyway.
Danm, I was all excited to learn a new way to do something too!

On 2020-07-07 05:18, [hidden email] wrote:

> I was able to close many pages by one right click and a left click.(right or all)
>
> And now Firefox 78.0.1 make close right side pages and close all pages
>
> into a cloumn.
>
> And then I have to wait to close pages for few seconds.
>
> Its a totally not nessesary change.
>
> Its stupid to make that change.
>
> Hope you know what I am talking.
>
> Thanks for reading.

I first looked at it and thought it was not all
that bad.  Then I did a bunch of stuff in Brave,
which uses the original method, and then found
Firefox's new method a pain in the neck.

I suppose the idea was to keep accidental clicks to
a minimum, the three clicks is more accident prone
than two.

Mozilla has been going down ever since they "cancel
cultured" Brendan Eich.

On 7/20/20 5:27 PM, T wrote:

> On 2020-07-07 05:18, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I was able to close many pages by one right click and a left
>> click.(right or all)
>>
>> And now Firefox 78.0.1 make close right side pages and close all pages
>>
>> into a cloumn.
>>
>> And then I have to wait to close pages for few seconds.
>>
>> Its a totally not nessesary change.
>>
>> Its stupid to make that change.
>>
>> Hope you know what I am talking.
>>
>> Thanks for reading.
>>

> I first looked at it and thought it was not all
> that bad.  Then I did a bunch of stuff in Brave,
> which uses the original method, and then found
> Firefox's new method a pain in the neck.
>
> I suppose the idea was to keep accidental clicks to
> a minimum, the three clicks is more accident prone
> than two.
>
> Mozilla has been going down ever since they "cancel
> cultured" Brendan Eich.

I use the keyboard to close tabs.

Shift to select multiple tabs and click the "x" in a tab.

Ctrl key to select specific tabs (could be more than one) and click the
"x" in a tab.

On 2020-07-20 16:11, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 7/20/20 5:27 PM, T wrote:
>> On 2020-07-07 05:18, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> I was able to close many pages by one right click and a left
>>> click.(right or all)
>>>
>>> And now Firefox 78.0.1 make close right side pages and close all pages
>>>
>>> into a cloumn.
>>>
>>> And then I have to wait to close pages for few seconds.
>>>
>>> Its a totally not nessesary change.
>>>
>>> Its stupid to make that change.
>>>
>>> Hope you know what I am talking.
>>>
>>> Thanks for reading.
>>>

>> I first looked at it and thought it was not all
>> that bad.  Then I did a bunch of stuff in Brave,
>> which uses the original method, and then found
>> Firefox's new method a pain in the neck.
>>
>> I suppose the idea was to keep accidental clicks to
>> a minimum, the three clicks is more accident prone
>> than two.
>>
>> Mozilla has been going down ever since they "cancel
>> cultured" Brendan Eich.
>
> I use the keyboard to close tabs.
>
> Shift to select multiple tabs and click the "x" in a tab.
>
> Ctrl key to select specific tabs (could be more than one) and click the
> "x" in a tab.

Sweet.  Thank you!

Re: Firefox 78.0.1 realease, its stupid to change about pages close buttons .

hjkoiiu
T 在 2020年7月21日 星期二上午7:25:51 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道:

> On 2020-07-20 16:11, WaltS48 wrote:

> >> I first looked at it and thought it was not all
> >> that bad. Then I did a bunch of stuff in Brave,
> >> which uses the original method, and then found
> >> Firefox's new method a pain in the neck.
> >>
> >> I suppose the idea was to keep accidental clicks to
> >> a minimum, the three clicks is more accident prone
> >> than two.
> >>
> >> Mozilla has been going down ever since they "cancel
> >> cultured" Brendan Eich.
> >
> > I use the keyboard to close tabs.
> >
> > Shift to select multiple tabs and click the "x" in a tab.
> >
> > Ctrl key to select specific tabs (could be more than one) and click the
> > "x" in a tab.
> >
> Sweet. Thank you!

And I forgot to say, even worse is you cant use old version of Firefox,they will keep telling you to update.

On 2020-08-02 23:08, John 2020 wrote:

> T 在 2020年7月21日 星期二上午7:25:51 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道:

>>> I use the keyboard to close tabs.
>>>
>>> Shift to select multiple tabs and click the "x" in a tab.
>>>
>>> Ctrl key to select specific tabs (could be more than one) and click the
>>> "x" in a tab.
>>>
>> Sweet. Thank you!
>
> And I forgot to say, even worse is you cant use old version of Firefox,they will keep telling you to update.

Hi John,

I come across this annoyance all the time, even when
it is the current version.

The fix it so add this to your run line

        -allow-downgrade

        thunderbird  -allow-downgrade