Firefox 6.0.2esr

Sailfish-4
After inattentively installing the subject ESR update only to see all my
legacy add-ons disabled, I reinstalled the previous Firefox 52.9.0esr
and immediately Options>Advanced>Update to "Never check for updates (not
recommended: security risk)"

ymmv

--
Sailfish

Re: Firefox 6.0.2esr

WaltS48-9
On 9/5/18 11:32 AM, Sailfish wrote:
> After inattentively installing the subject ESR update only to see all my
> legacy add-ons disabled, I reinstalled the previous Firefox 52.9.0esr
> and immediately Options>Advanced>Update to "Never check for updates (not
> recommended: security risk)"
>
> ymmv

Wow, 6.0.2 is an ESR version?

I thought it was 60.2.0.

Anyway, I just refreshed my Nightly 64.0 profile and I am running it
only with Content Blocking enabled to see how many ads appear or are
blocked.

mmv

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

Re: Firefox 6.0.2esr

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 9/5/2018
10:16 AM:
> On 9/5/18 11:32 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> After inattentively installing the subject ESR update only to see all
>> my legacy add-ons disabled, I reinstalled the previous Firefox
>> 52.9.0esr and immediately Options>Advanced>Update to "Never check for
>> updates (not recommended: security risk)"
>>
>> ymmv
>>
> Wow, 6.0.2 is an ESR version?

My bad, left a zero out, it is 60.0.2

> I thought it was 60.2.0.

Ref: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/60.0.2esr/
Ref:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox/#firefox60.0.2

Just spit-balling here but it appeared to hit the ESR channel back on
June 6th. The update didn't pop-up until today with an ominous message
stating that my existing version Fx52.9.0 had a serious vuln that was
fixed in 60.0.2, urging me to update it. The thing is, looking at the
release notes, it appears that Fx60.0.2esr vuln fixes were also included
in Fx52.9.0esr, so I'm a bit confused as to why I got the update warning
in the first place?

> Anyway, I just refreshed my Nightly 64.0 profile and I am running it
> only with Content Blocking enabled to see how many ads appear or are
> blocked.

Do you have another Ad Blocker like Ghostery to compare it to?

--
Sailfish

Re: Firefox 6.0.2esr

WaltS48-9
On 9/5/18 3:47 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 9/5/2018
> 10:16 AM:
>> On 9/5/18 11:32 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> After inattentively installing the subject ESR update only to see all
>>> my legacy add-ons disabled, I reinstalled the previous Firefox
>>> 52.9.0esr and immediately Options>Advanced>Update to "Never check for
>>> updates (not recommended: security risk)"
>>>
>>> ymmv
>>>
>> Wow, 6.0.2 is an ESR version?
>
> My bad, left a zero out, it is 60.0.2
>>
>> I thought it was 60.2.0.
>>
> Ref: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/60.0.2esr/
> Ref:
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox/#firefox60.0.2
>

> Just spit-balling here but it appeared to hit the ESR channel back on
> June 6th. The update didn't pop-up until today with an ominous message
> stating that my existing version Fx52.9.0 had a serious vuln that was
> fixed in 60.0.2, urging me to update it. The thing is, looking at the
> release notes, it appears that Fx60.0.2esr vuln fixes were also included
> in Fx52.9.0esr, so I'm a bit confused as to why I got the update warning
> in the first place?
>
>> Anyway, I just refreshed my Nightly 64.0 profile and I am running it
>> only with Content Blocking enabled to see how many ads appear or are
>> blocked.
>>
> Do you have another Ad Blocker like Ghostery to compare it to?

Just my memory of the sites.

I got tired of the blank spaces where ads would be and installed uBlock
Origin to get rid of them.

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

Re: Firefox 6.0.2esr

kenwood0622
On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 11:32:48 AM UTC-4, Sailfish wrote:

> After inattentively installing the subject ESR update only to see all my
> legacy add-ons disabled, I reinstalled the previous Firefox 52.9.0esr
> and immediately Options>Advanced>Update to "Never check for updates (not
> recommended: security risk)"
>
> ymmv
>
> --
> Sailfish
> Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://tinyurl.com/z86x3sg

Same here.  I lost 5 out of the 9 extensions I use.  I was more fortunate than you though since I was running Shadow Defender on the OS partition when I tested the update.  As a result I didn't have to reinstall.  I disconnected from the network and rebooted after exiting shadow mode.   When it came back up with the old version, I turned off FF updates, reinstated Shadow Defender, and rejoined the network.

Too bad.  A case where the cure was worse than the possible disease :)

Re: Firefox 60.0.2esr

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 9/5/2018 7:30 PM:

> On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 11:32:48 AM UTC-4, Sailfish wrote:
>> After inattentively installing the subject ESR update only to see all my
>> legacy add-ons disabled, I reinstalled the previous Firefox 52.9.0esr
>> and immediately Options>Advanced>Update to "Never check for updates (not
>> recommended: security risk)"
>>
>> ymmv
>>
>> --
>> Sailfish
>> Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://tinyurl.com/z86x3sg
>
> Same here.  I lost 5 out of the 9 extensions I use.  I was more fortunate than you though since I was running Shadow Defender on the OS partition when I tested the update.  As a result I didn't have to reinstall.  I disconnected from the network and rebooted after exiting shadow mode.   When it came back up with the old version, I turned off FF updates, reinstated Shadow Defender, and rejoined the network.
>
> Too bad.  A case where the cure was worse than the possible disease :)

Out of curiosity, do you recollect getting a similar foreboding vuln fix
warning to upgrade.

--
Sailfish

Re: Firefox 60.0.2esr

GerardJan-8
Banned User
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Firefox 60.0.2esr

Daniel-2
GerardJan wrote on 6/09/2018 2:22 PM:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>> with on 9/5/2018 7:30 PM:

>>> Same here.  I lost 5 out of the 9 extensions I use.  I was more
>>> fortunate than you though since I was running Shadow Defender on the
>>> OS partition when I tested the update.  As a result I didn't have to
>>> reinstall.  I disconnected from the network and rebooted after
>>> exiting shadow mode.   When it came back up with the old version, I
>>> turned off FF updates, reinstated Shadow Defender, and rejoined the
>>> network.
>>> Too bad.  A case where the cure was worse than the possible disease :)
>>
>> Out of curiosity, do you recollect getting a similar foreboding vuln
>> fix warning to upgrade.
>
> english is not my mother tongue! ¿ what does *vuln* mean ?

I read "vuln" as an abbreviated "vulnerability".

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: Firefox 60.0.2esr

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 9/6/2018
2:32 AM:

> GerardJan wrote on 6/09/2018 2:22 PM:
>> Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
>>> with on 9/5/2018 7:30 PM:

>>> Out of curiosity, do you recollect getting a similar foreboding vuln
>>> fix warning to upgrade.
>>
>> english is not my mother tongue! ¿ what does *vuln* mean ?
>>
> I read "vuln" as an abbreviated "vulnerability".

Got it in 1.

Give this man a Kewpie doll!

--
Sailfish

Re: Firefox 6.0.2esr

s|b-2
On Wed, 05 Sep 2018 08:32:44 -0700, Sailfish wrote:

> After inattentively installing the subject ESR update only to see all my
> legacy add-ons disabled, I reinstalled the previous Firefox 52.9.0esr
> and immediately Options>Advanced>Update to "Never check for updates (not
> recommended: security risk)"

I *knew* 60.x esr was coming, so I blocked the update. 52.x esr is still
available. Does this mean it will still receive security updates? (I'm
guessing: not.)

--
s|b

Re: Firefox 6.0.2esr

WaltS48-9
On 9/6/18 3:50 PM, s|b wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Sep 2018 08:32:44 -0700, Sailfish wrote:
>
>> After inattentively installing the subject ESR update only to see all my
>> legacy add-ons disabled, I reinstalled the previous Firefox 52.9.0esr
>> and immediately Options>Advanced>Update to "Never check for updates (not
>> recommended: security risk)"
>
> I *knew* 60.x esr was coming, so I blocked the update. 52.x esr is still
> available. Does this mean it will still receive security updates? (I'm
> guessing: not.)

When is the next release?

Compare Past Branch Dates with Future.

<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Release_Management/Calendar>

Sailfish wrote on 7/09/2018 5:31 AM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 9/6/2018
> 2:32 AM:
>> GerardJan wrote on 6/09/2018 2:22 PM:

>>> english is not my mother tongue! ¿ what does *vuln* mean ?
>>>
>> I read "vuln" as an abbreviated "vulnerability".
>>
> Got it in 1.
>
> Give this man a Kewpie doll!

"YEAH!!" for me!!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: Firefox 6.0.2esr

PietB-2
s|b wrote:
> I *knew* 60.x esr was coming, so I blocked the update.

I never used the update channel in the first place. I prefer to
determine myself if and when I want to update, and if I update,
I do so by a download and install, with manual deselection of the
auto-update option.

> 52.x esr is still available.

Really? Where?
When I go to www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/
the "Firefox 52" option is still there, but I can't select it.

-p

Re: Firefox 6.0.2esr

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/

Re: Firefox 60.0.2esr

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 9/6/2018
11:26 PM:

> Sailfish wrote on 7/09/2018 5:31 AM:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 9/6/2018
>> 2:32 AM:

>>> I read "vuln" as an abbreviated "vulnerability".
>>>
>> Got it in 1.
>>
>> Give this man a Kewpie doll!
>>
> "YEAH!!" for me!!

+1 :-)

--
Sailfish

Re: Firefox 6.0.2esr

Balaco ocalaB
Em 05-09-2018 12:32, Sailfish escreveu:
> After inattentively installing the subject ESR update only to see all my
> legacy add-ons disabled, I reinstalled the previous Firefox 52.9.0esr
> and immediately Options>Advanced>Update to "Never check for updates (not
> recommended: security risk)"

+100

I know that FF 60+ are like that. I will simply stick with 52 ESR - and
probably change to Basilisk or another fork in the future.

Not to grab your thread, but GNU Icecat may be an interesting browser I
will try anytime.

(:

--
=
        quem você é?

   2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
   2.b. You may do it here:

   https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

OT: GNU Icecat

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Balaco ocalaB graced us with on
9/8/2018 5:07 PM:

> Not to grab your thread, but GNU Icecat may be an interesting browser I
> will try anytime.

Looking at its home page, it mentions that it is built from a Firefox
base with some modifications. I didn't see any commitment from them that
they will maintain XUL/XPCOM architecture that is needed to support the
previous add-ons. Is that your understanding?

Also, it's not supported on Windows and I very seldom use my smartphone
as a browser (fat fingers, farsighted, &c.)

--
Sailfish

Re: OT: GNU Icecat

Balaco ocalaB
Em 09-09-2018 01:43, Sailfish escreveu:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Balaco ocalaB graced us with on
> 9/8/2018 5:07 PM:
>>
>> Not to grab your thread, but GNU Icecat may be an interesting browser
>> I will try anytime.
>>
> Looking at its home page, it mentions that it is built from a Firefox
> base with some modifications. I didn't see any commitment from them that
> they will maintain XUL/XPCOM architecture that is needed to support the
> previous add-ons. Is that your understanding?
>
> Also, it's not supported on Windows and I very seldom use my smartphone
> as a browser (fat fingers, farsighted, &c.)

Icecat is a browser that is entirely free software (among other details
to block things that are not really free). Firefox is *not* completely
free software because it comes with copyrighted parts.

About maintaining XUL arch, I am not sure of that. But either way, I
will start using it due the "free-er" choices - even if the version I
choose to use is not the most current.

What kind of support are you saying? According to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_IceCat ,

it has versions for linux, Windows, Android and MacOS. Then I tried to
find it to download in its page:

http://mirror.nbtelecom.com.br/gnu/gnuzilla/52.6.0/

(the directory above this one has folders for all available versions)

But there was no Windows version of 52.6.0. I had to search a bit more
to find the answer. In

http://mirror.nbtelecom.com.br/gnu/gnuzilla/52.6.0/

we also read:

> GNU IceCat developers dropped support for macOS, and Windows, after
> version 38.8.0 in 2016: "Note that building binary packages for
> Windows and macOS currently requires non-free software, so we no
> longer distribute binary releases for those platforms."

The address here is not in GNU simply because that mirror was given to
me, and I kept it.

Conclusion: use Debian, then!

--
=
        quem você é?
        to show who you are?

   2.a. Você pode fazê-lo aqui:
   2.b. You may do it here:

   https://queroouvir.sarahah.com/

Re: OT: GNU Icecat

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Balaco ocalaB graced us with on
9/9/2018 9:40 AM:

>> GNU IceCat developers dropped support for macOS, and Windows, after
>> version 38.8.0 in 2016: "Note that building binary packages for
>> Windows and macOS currently requires non-free software, so we no
>> longer distribute binary releases for those platforms."
>
> The address here is not in GNU simply because that mirror was given to
> me, and I kept it.
>
> Conclusion: use Debian, then!

I'm too wedded to Windows (acquires software) to change to another OS;
although, I do have VirtualBox and may give it a try at some point.

--
Sailfish

Re: OT: GNU Icecat

Balaco ocalaB
Em 09-09-2018 14:57, Sailfish escreveu:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Balaco ocalaB graced us with on
> 9/9/2018 9:40 AM:
>>
>>> GNU IceCat developers dropped support for macOS, and Windows, after
>>> version 38.8.0 in 2016: "Note that building binary packages for
>>> Windows and macOS currently requires non-free software, so we no
>>> longer distribute binary releases for those platforms."
>>
>> The address here is not in GNU simply because that mirror was given to
>> me, and I kept it.
>>
>> Conclusion: use Debian, then!
>>
> I'm too wedded to Windows (acquires software) to change to another OS;
> although, I do have VirtualBox and may give it a try at some point.

I have heard about Iceweasel before, a few years ago, which was like
"the FSF and GNU version of Firefox". Then I stopped hearing about it
(but I did not search about, or anything). It changed the name to
Icecat, not long ago, and I only discovered it these days due one
extension: LibreJS, which I want to try. But right now (due my FF ESR 52
chosen situation) I may not try the current LibreJS, which needs Firefox
60+ (or equivalent, if other version) - and it is (or should be)
compatible with other browsers with WebExtensions too, I read somewhere.
A quote about LibreJS:

--
=