Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Zbigniew Braniecki-3
Hi folks,

We're getting closer and closer to the final release of Firefox 4 and
we'd like to introduce you to a few cute projects we've been working on
lately that will accompany the launch.

These are small microsites that we will be progressively launching over
the next 6-8 weeks.  They show off cool demos, engage users in fun
challenges and quizzes, and invite them to join the fun. They will have
high visibility and high impact. They will rock.

Opt in, please
--------------
We want you to get to know these projects and choose the ones you'd like
to translate for your locale.  We have recommendations, but in the end,
it's you who decide.  Obviously, we hope that once you see these
projects, you'll fall in love with all of them just as we did. (I'm
serious, I had to force Gandalf to write this instead of watch one of
the demos. --Staś)

Each special project will be announced in its own thread.  Please opt in
by replying there to have your locale included and files set up on Verbatim.

Technology
----------
We'll be using Verbatim and SVN for all of them.  There will be staging
sites.  Nothing new, really.  You know the workflow.  Gandalf and Staś
will be here to help you and answer your questions.  Don't be shy and do
ping us.
We will do our best to have staging servers accompany each project as
early as possible, but some of the projects are planned as a ka'boom!
like surprise, so we'll hand you credentials to the staging server per
request.

Finding new contributors
------------------------
We've worked hard with the engagement team to make sure the timeline
makes sense.  You will have enough time to localize and test.  That
said, we know it's busy time for you all, but the good news is that
those micro projects are a perfect opportunity to try to find new
contributors to your locale and grow your team. They're easy to
localize, and easy to review, they're isolated, fresh and have the level
of cuteness that attracts young and old, boys and girls alike.

Our recommendation is to post in your local forums, on your blog or
tweet/facebook about it.  Tell your friends that you're looking for new
localizers to start with a 500-word website that will feature one of the
coolest HTML5 demos to date.  Verbatim is your friend: tell the
newcomers to submit suggestions, and review them yourself to make sure
they look good.

Project descriptions
--------------------
Let me quickly introduce the projects.  Localizers, these are the
special projects.  Special projects, say 'hi.'

1. *Mark Up* - a 3D visualization of thousands of marks and doodles
drawn by users as an expression of the support for Mozilla's mission.

2. *Web Collections* - a social quiz recommending interesting websites
upon taking it.

3. *Spark* - a social game for mobile; earn badges when your friends
download Firefox Mobile.

4. *Web O'Wonder* - a microgallery of the best of the best HTML5 demos.
OMG!!!!11one so cool.

5. *Twitter Collage* - a mosaic of tweets put together to create the
Firefox logo.

6. *MDN Demo Studio* - a bigger gallery of user-submitted demos, from
which selected demos will be featured on Web O'Wonder.

(only for de, es and pt-BR:
   7. *Join Mozilla* - the new membership/donation page on Mozilla.org.
)

As a heads-up, we're working on doing something fun on Facebook too, but
the ideas are rather vague so far.

Timeline
--------
Some of the special projects will launch with Firefox 4.  We don't
really know when that happens, but we refer to be ready rather sooner
than later.  Others will launch some weeks after Firefox 4 is released -
as you see, it's quite normal Mozilla style, we're as always good with
timelines ;)

We've created a calendar that you can subscribe to or preview online,
where we keep the most up-to-date information that we've received from
the engagement team.  Keep in mind that the dates might, and probably
will, change.  Hopefully, this will give you a rough idea on how things
are laid out in time.  Don't plan your vacation plans around it, though,
okay?

     http://l10n.mozilla.org/~stas/fx4special/

Thanks
------
...for reading this far.  We're waiting for your feedback.  Stay tuned
for the threads announcing individual projects. While this is a cross
post between m.d.l10n and m.d.l10n.web, the announcements for each
project will be submitted only to m.d.l10n.web so make sure to subscribe
there :)
The first two are coming today!

With warm regards,
Gandalf & Staś

Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Toni Hermoso Pulido-2
Al 11/02/11 20:15, En/na Zbigniew Braniecki ha escrit:

> (only for de, es and pt-BR:
>   7. *Join Mozilla* - the new membership/donation page on Mozilla.org.
> )

Gandalf,

I guess this is not your fault or strict area, but I'm a bit concerned
and upset that this means that Join Mozilla is going to be live so soon.
Specially, when there was already a very active ongoing community
discussion in Mozilla Planet about how this should be shaped.

In any case, this discussion I start here should be moved to another
list or place.

Best,
--
Toni Hermoso Pulido
http://www.cau.cat

Toni Hermoso Pulido wrote:
> Gandalf,
>
> I guess this is not your fault or strict area, but I'm a bit concerned
> and upset that this means that Join Mozilla is going to be live so soon.
> Specially, when there was already a very active ongoing community
> discussion in Mozilla Planet about how this should be shaped.
>
> In any case, this discussion I start here should be moved to another
> list or place.

Hi Toni,

Yeah, I believe the #drumbeat channel and foundation maillist/newsgroup
is the place to have this conversion going on. I had a feeling that the
round of feedback had a severe impact on the plan they have for Join
Mozilla and should help us feel much better about it, but if that's not
the case, please, make sure you reach #drumbeat people with it.

This is only about localization of this project, and I'm not involved in
any decision making process around it as far as I know :)

Cheers,
g.

Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Toni Hermoso Pulido-2
Al 11/02/11 20:50, En/na Zbigniew Braniecki ha escrit:

> Toni Hermoso Pulido wrote:
>> Gandalf,
>>
>> I guess this is not your fault or strict area, but I'm a bit concerned
>> and upset that this means that Join Mozilla is going to be live so soon.
>> Specially, when there was already a very active ongoing community
>> discussion in Mozilla Planet about how this should be shaped.
>>
>> In any case, this discussion I start here should be moved to another
>> list or place.
>>
> Hi Toni,
>
> Yeah, I believe the #drumbeat channel and foundation maillist/newsgroup
> is the place to have this conversion going on. I had a feeling that the
> round of feedback had a severe impact on the plan they have for Join
> Mozilla and should help us feel much better about it, but if that's not
> the case, please, make sure you reach #drumbeat people with it.
>
> This is only about localization of this project, and I'm not involved in
> any decision making process around it as far as I know :)

Thanks Gandalf for the quick response!

I must say that I think I support what may have come out, but I cannot
avoid to feel a taste of too rush in all this.

From a l10n point of view, I don't want to be blunt, but I cannot avoid
to be wary, and I would not like that very well-intentioned experiences
such as Mozilla Service Week to be repeated.

--
Toni Hermoso Pulido
http://www.cau.cat

Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Toni Hermoso Pulido-2
Al 11/02/11 20:54, En/na Zbigniew Braniecki ha escrit:

> Toni Hermoso Pulido wrote:
>> Gandalf,
>>
>> I guess this is not your fault or strict area, but I'm a bit concerned
>> and upset that this means that Join Mozilla is going to be live so soon.
>> Specially, when there was already a very active ongoing community
>> discussion in Mozilla Planet about how this should be shaped.
>>
>> In any case, this discussion I start here should be moved to another
>> list or place.
>
> Hi Toni,
>
> Yeah, I believe the #drumbeat channel and foundation maillist/newsgroup
> is the place to have this conversion going on. I had a feeling that the
> round of feedback had a severe impact on the plan they have for Join
> Mozilla and should help us feel much better about it, but if that's not
> the case, please, make sure you reach #drumbeat people with it.
>
> This is only about localization of this project, and I'm not involved in
> any decision making process around it as far as I know :)

Hi,

just sent here:
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.governance/browse_thread/thread/1426c06496ef5758#

Sorry for the cross-posting now to l10n-web, but I missed it in the
first message.

Cheers,

--
Toni Hermoso Pulido
http://www.cau.cat

Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Pavel Cvrcek (Mozilla.cz)
Dne 11.2.2011 20:15, Zbigniew Braniecki napsal(a):

> Opt in, please
> --------------
> We want you to get to know these projects and choose the ones you'd like
> to translate for your locale. We have recommendations, but in the end,
> it's you who decide. Obviously, we hope that once you see these
> projects, you'll fall in love with all of them just as we did. (I'm
> serious, I had to force Gandalf to write this instead of watch one of
> the demos. --Staś)
>
> Each special project will be announced in its own thread. Please opt in
> by replying there to have your locale included and files set up on
> Verbatim.

Czech (cs) opts-in for all these microsites.

--
Pavel Cvrček <[hidden email]>
http://www.mozilla.cz/

Fwd: Fwd: Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Jane Finette - Mozilla
Hi Toni

thank you for starting the discussion on another thread. I've posted
back to your email at /governance/ and /marketing/.

thanks
Jane

> [...]
>> released - as you see, it's quite normal Mozilla style, we're as
>> always good with timelines ;)
>>
>> We've created a calendar that you can subscribe to or preview online,
>> where we keep the most up-to-date information that we've received
>> from the engagement team.  Keep in mind that the dates might, and
>> probably will, change.  Hopefully, this will give you a rough idea on
>> how things are laid out in time.  Don't plan your vacation plans
>> around it, though, okay?
>>
>> http://l10n.mozilla.org/~stas/fx4special/
>>

>> Thanks
>> ------
>> ...for reading this far.  We're waiting for your feedback.  Stay
>> tuned for the threads announcing individual projects. While this is a
>> cross post between m.d.l10n and m.d.l10n.web, the announcements for
>> each project will be submitted only to m.d.l10n.web so make sure to

Re: Fwd: Fwd: Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Vito Smolej-3
On Feb 11, 8:09 pm, Jane Finette - Mozilla <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> released - as you see, it's quite normal Mozilla style, we're as
> >> always good with timelines ;)
>
> >> We've created a calendar that you can subscribe to or preview online,
> >> where we keep the most up-to-date information that we've received
> >> from the engagement team.  Keep in mind that the dates might, and
> >> probably will, change.  Hopefully, this will give you a rough idea on
> >> how things are laid out in time.  Don't plan your vacation plans
> >> around it, though, okay?
>
> >>http://l10n.mozilla.org/~stas/fx4special/
>
> >> Thanks
> >> ------
> >> ...for reading this far.  We're waiting for your feedback.  Stay
> >> tuned for the threads announcing individual projects. While this is a
> >> cross post between m.d.l10n and m.d.l10n.web, the announcements for
> >> each project will be submitted only to m.d.l10n.web so make sure to

sl opts in.

Thanks!
______

....for reading so far (g), but I share Toni's experience and
concerns.

--- deleted a reality-based rant ---

Regards

Vito

PS: ... and dont force me to cross-post this, because I may change my
mind and put my rant back in;)

Can you guys get together

Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Michael 'Coce' Köhler

> Opt in, please

Sign up the German (de) locale for all the microsites.

Regards

Michael

Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Anas Husseini-2
> [...]
>> engagement team.  Keep in mind that the dates might, and probably will,
>> change.  Hopefully, this will give you a rough idea on how things are laid
>> out in time.  Don't plan your vacation plans around it, though, okay?
>>
>>    http://l10n.mozilla.org/~stas/fx4special/
>>

>> Thanks
>> ------
>> ...for reading this far.  We're waiting for your feedback.  Stay tuned for
>> the threads announcing individual projects. While this is a cross post
>> between m.d.l10n and m.d.l10n.web, the announcements for each project will
>> be submitted only to m.d.l10n.web so make sure to subscribe there :)
>> The first two are coming today!
>>
>> With warm regards,
>> Gandalf & Staś

> Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Thanks for all the comments, and I hope you did take into consideration
how much action is going on around all this stuff before you started
through all this incredible "I'm in for *a*l*l* of them" stuff ;)

Just to clear it a bit, we're not taking opt ins for all projects at
once, rather one by one as they come.

For now, you can opt in in the Web O'Wonder thread for that project and
that project only.

Sorry for the hassle, but we really want to weight each one of them and
see how they work.

So, if you have resources (once again, never too much of
overcommunication - we do recommend going outside of your base camp and
looking for new community members for those in order to grow your team),
go to mozilla.dev.l10n.web and opt in for Web O'Wonder.

In a few minutes I'll start a thread for the second project as well.

Cheers,
g.

Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Selim Şumlu
On 11 Şubat, 21:15, Zbigniew Braniecki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> timelines ;)
>
> We've created a calendar that you can subscribe to or preview online,
> where we keep the most up-to-date information that we've received from
> the engagement team.  Keep in mind that the dates might, and probably
> will, change.  Hopefully, this will give you a rough idea on how things
> are laid out in time.  Don't plan your vacation plans around it, though,
> okay?
>
>      http://l10n.mozilla.org/~stas/fx4special/
>
> Thanks
> ------
> ...for reading this far.  We're waiting for your feedback.  Stay tuned
> for the threads announcing individual projects. While this is a cross
> post between m.d.l10n and m.d.l10n.web, the announcements for each
> project will be submitted only to m.d.l10n.web so make sure to subscribe

Count us in for Turkish (tr).

Thanks,
Selim

Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Zbigniew Braniecki-3
Update on the roadmap.

It's bumpy here, but we expect to have one more project (Spark) freezing
next week (Wednesday), and two others one week later.

That's the best estimation we have, and we'll keep you posted.

This calendar - http://l10n.mozilla.org/~stas/fx4special/ - is there to
help you, but take everything with a grain of salt, as Staś managed to
put in place MacGyver style - using chewing gum, rubber band, duck-tape
and a few magnets here and there.

Over&Out and enjoy your weekend if you can - reports from Warsaw
indicate that the weather here is just ugly... :/
g.

Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Kálmán Kéménczy-2
Hi Gandalf,

Please add Hungarian to the list.
thanks
kalman

On febr. 12, 17:09, Zbigniew Braniecki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Update on the roadmap.
>
> It's bumpy here, but we expect to have one more project (Spark) freezing
> next week (Wednesday), and two others one week later.
>
> That's the best estimation we have, and we'll keep you posted.
>
> This calendar -http://l10n.mozilla.org/~stas/fx4special/- is there to
> help you, but take everything with a grain of salt, as Staś managed to
> put in place MacGyver style - using chewing gum, rubber band, duck-tape
> and a few magnets here and there.
>
> Over&Out and enjoy your weekend if you can - reports from Warsaw
> indicate that the weather here is just ugly... :/
> g.

Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Iacopo Benesperi-2
Il 11/02/2011 20:15, Zbigniew Braniecki ha scritto:
> Opt in, please
> --------------
> Each special project will be announced in its own thread.  Please opt in
> by replying there to have your locale included and files set up on
> Verbatim.

Italian (it) opts in for all websites.

Iacopo

Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Marcelo Araldi
pt-br opt-in for all websites

Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Benoit Leseul
Le 11/02/2011 20:15, Zbigniew Braniecki a écrit :
> Opt in, please
> --------------

We would like to opt-in for all projects in French (fr) too.
Sorry for the delay.

--
Benoit
FrenchMozilla l10n team

Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Danishka Navin
I would like to translate webowonder in to Sinhala (si).
Am I too late? :(

https://localize.mozilla.org/projects/webowonder/

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 3:00 AM, Benoit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 11/02/2011 20:15, Zbigniew Braniecki a écrit :
> > Opt in, please
> > --------------
>
> We would like to opt-in for all projects in French (fr) too.
> Sorry for the delay.
>
> --
> Benoit
> FrenchMozilla l10n team

Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://identi.ca/danishka

Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

文少华
Simplified Chinese zh-CN  translation has finished. please count zh-CN in.

Br.
Holy

Re: Firefox 4 Special Projects -- Introduction

Atsushi Shimono-2