Firefox 38.8.0 Beta 7 released

Dave Yeo-3
In case anyone missed it, Bitwise has released Firefox 38.8.0 Beta 7 and
is available from the bitwise mozilla github page.
The biggest change is that many more DLLs are now installed with YUM/RPM
and Bitwise has given up keeping track of the zip files that can be used
and only supports their versions installed with YUM/RPM
Basically this releases DLLs consists of mozalloc.dll, mozsqlite3.dll
and xul.dll, which means that nss and nsprub are now supposed to be
installed with YUM/RPM/Arca Noae Packager, see the readme.
People have reported success just unzipping 38.8.0 over 38.2.1 (after
backing up).
Steve, not sure what the best way is to update your support package, the
nss and nsprpub DLLs in my latest SM release would probably work fine,
currently untested as wget doesn't get along with github so I haven't
downloaded the latest (or even the last one)
Dave

Re: Firefox 38.8.0 Beta 7 released

Dmitriy Kuminov
On 2016-05-29 04:28:43 +0000, Dave Yeo said:

> In case anyone missed it, Bitwise has released Firefox 38.8.0 Beta 7 and
> is available from the bitwise mozilla github page.

Please note that if you use AOO, then you will also need to install the
`libicu-legacy` package to make AOO happy because Firefox requires a
newer ICU version which is incompatible with AOO. Note that the
`libicu-legacy` package is not in the Firefox README.OS2 because,
strictly speaking, it has nothing to do with Firefox: the problem will
pop up right after running `yum update` even w/o any intention to
install Firefox or Firefox dependencies.

Sorry for this inconvenience, this is a one time thing. We know how to
handle such sort of updates (and we already solve it nicely for nss and
nspr packages that expose a similar issue - nss-legacy and nspr-legacy
will be installed automatically to save you from troubles if you have
older, incompatible versions of nss and nspr installed, but with libicu
we had to go a different route).

> The biggest change is that many more DLLs are now installed with YUM/RPM
> and Bitwise has given up keeping track of the zip files that can be used
> and only supports their versions installed with YUM/RPM

Well, getting back suport for Open in New Tab (and proper Session
Restore) and support for MP4 video playback are also quite nice changes
I suppose :)

--
Kind regards,
Dmitriy Kuminov

Re: Firefox 38.8.0 Beta 7 released

Doug Bissett-2
On Sun, 29 May 2016 04:28:43 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> In case anyone missed it, Bitwise has released Firefox 38.8.0 Beta 7 and
> is available from the bitwise mozilla github page.
> The biggest change is that many more DLLs are now installed with YUM/RPM
> and Bitwise has given up keeping track of the zip files that can be used
> and only supports their versions installed with YUM/RPM
> Basically this releases DLLs consists of mozalloc.dll, mozsqlite3.dll
> and xul.dll, which means that nss and nsprub are now supposed to be
> installed with YUM/RPM/Arca Noae Packager, see the readme.
> People have reported success just unzipping 38.8.0 over 38.2.1 (after
> backing up).
> Steve, not sure what the best way is to update your support package, the
> nss and nsprpub DLLs in my latest SM release would probably work fine,
> currently untested as wget doesn't get along with github so I haven't
> downloaded the latest (or even the last one)
> Dave

I have uploaded a WarpIn installer, for Firefox 38.8.0, to Netlabs,
and HOBBES. I no longer make any attempt to determine if the user has
the proper support installed. The Arca Noae Package Manager, or the
YUM command line, handles that properly, and I strongly suggest that
users get, and use, ANPM to make your life simpler. You can try to do
it yourself, but it seems that even the developers don't really know
what you might need so it could be an adventure in frustration.

FWIW, it seems that FF 38.8.0 is working well, but it is less than 24
hours since I installed it.

--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net

Re: Firefox 38.8.0 Beta 7 released

Lars Erdmann
Anyone have a clue where I can download the german language pack for
38.8.0 ?

I cannot find it anywhere. I installed the german language pack for 38.*
but it did not work.

Lars

On 29.05.16 20.27, Doug Bissett wrote:

> On Sun, 29 May 2016 04:28:43 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> In case anyone missed it, Bitwise has released Firefox 38.8.0 Beta 7 and
>> is available from the bitwise mozilla github page.
>> The biggest change is that many more DLLs are now installed with YUM/RPM
>> and Bitwise has given up keeping track of the zip files that can be used
>> and only supports their versions installed with YUM/RPM
>> Basically this releases DLLs consists of mozalloc.dll, mozsqlite3.dll
>> and xul.dll, which means that nss and nsprub are now supposed to be
>> installed with YUM/RPM/Arca Noae Packager, see the readme.
>> People have reported success just unzipping 38.8.0 over 38.2.1 (after
>> backing up).
>> Steve, not sure what the best way is to update your support package, the
>> nss and nsprpub DLLs in my latest SM release would probably work fine,
>> currently untested as wget doesn't get along with github so I haven't
>> downloaded the latest (or even the last one)
>> Dave
>
> I have uploaded a WarpIn installer, for Firefox 38.8.0, to Netlabs,
> and HOBBES. I no longer make any attempt to determine if the user has
> the proper support installed. The Arca Noae Package Manager, or the
> YUM command line, handles that properly, and I strongly suggest that
> users get, and use, ANPM to make your life simpler. You can try to do
> it yourself, but it seems that even the developers don't really know
> what you might need so it could be an adventure in frustration.
>
> FWIW, it seems that FF 38.8.0 is working well, but it is less than 24
> hours since I installed it.

Re: Firefox 38.8.0 Beta 7 released

Steve Wendt
On 05/29/2016 11:27 AM, Doug Bissett wrote:

> The Arca Noae Package Manager, or the YUM command line, handles that
> properly

Until/unless you can "yum install firefox seamonkey thunderbird" it is
NOT done properly; it is simply broken.

On 05/29/16 12:24 PM, Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 05/29/2016 11:27 AM, Doug Bissett wrote:
>
>> The Arca Noae Package Manager, or the YUM command line, handles that
>> properly
>
> Until/unless you can "yum install firefox seamonkey thunderbird" it is
> NOT done properly; it is simply broken.

There are issues opened to do that and will probably happen soon with
Firefox. Unluckily Bitwise only has the MozillaESR38 tree and I haven't
been able to correctly communicate how SeaMonkey/Thunderbird are
related. eg I want them to update their tree to the Thunderbird 38.8.0
release tag (7 commits past Firefox 38.8.0 release tag) but I don't
think Dmitiry quite understands the relationship between the repositories.
I also never get any communication about the latest configure options
(or the odd fix that needs to be applied to all the apps) they're using
to stay in sync with them.
I have to decide whether my next builds will follow along with Firefox
and use the system nsprpub and nss libraries. (need to download Firefox
and look at about:build I guess)
Dave
Dave

Re: Firefox 38.8.0 Beta 7 released

Andreas Kohl-6
Lars Erdmann schrieb:
> Anyone have a clue where I can download the german language pack for
> 38.8.0 ?

Here:
<http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/38.8.0esr/win32/xpi/de.xpi>

--
Andreas

Re: Firefox 38.8.0 Beta 7 released

Lars Erdmann
Thanks ! I keep forgetting that location ...

Lars

On 2016-05-29 19:24:10 +0000, Steve Wendt said:

> On 05/29/2016 11:27 AM, Doug Bissett wrote:
>
>> The Arca Noae Package Manager, or the YUM command line, handles that
>> properly
>
> Until/unless you can "yum install firefox seamonkey thunderbird" it is
> NOT done properly; it is simply broken.

This is your free interpretation of the world which doesn't seem accurate ;)

Although `yum install firefox etc` is indeed the proper way to go (and
something we'll have very soon), using yum/ANPM for Firefox
requirements right now is already much more "proper" (and much simpler
for end users) than using ZIPs.

On 2016-05-29 19:49:08 +0000, Dave Yeo said:

> There are issues opened to do that and will probably happen soon with
> Firefox. Unluckily Bitwise only has the MozillaESR38 tree and I haven't
> been able to correctly communicate how SeaMonkey/Thunderbird are
> related. eg I want them to update their tree to the Thunderbird 38.8.0
> release tag (7 commits past Firefox 38.8.0 release tag) but I don't
> think Dmitiry quite understands the relationship between the repositories.

I wouldn't put it like that. There is not much to understand, I'm just
not on this topic ATM (and it was very long time ago when I tried to
build Thunderbird for the last time). I will put the comm stuff into
BWW github and build Thunderbird when its time comes. Same for
Seamonkey.

> I also never get any communication about the latest configure options
> (or the odd fix that needs to be applied to all the apps) they're using
> to stay in sync with them.

Note sure which options and/or odd fix you mean.

On 05/30/16 11:20 PM, Lars Erdmann wrote:
> Thanks ! I keep forgetting that location ...

Unluckily there are plans to replace it with archive.mozilla.org, where
I couldn't find the language packs.
Dave

On 5/31/2016 5:57 AM, Dmitriy Kuminov wrote:

>> Until/unless you can "yum install firefox seamonkey thunderbird" it is
>> NOT done properly
>
> This is your free interpretation of the world which doesn't seem
> accurate ;)
>
> `yum install firefox etc` is indeed the proper way to go

You contradict yourself, and in fact agree with me.  ;-)

On 2016-05-31 18:50:25 +0000, Steve Wendt said:

> You contradict yourself, and in fact agree with me.  ;-)

The thing is that in the real world are more states than just 1 and 0 :)

On 5/31/2016 1:44 PM, Dmitriy Kuminov wrote:

>> You contradict yourself, and in fact agree with me.  ;-)
>
> The thing is that in the real world are more states than just 1 and 0 :)

Indeed; so many people being unhappy with the current state of yum on
OS/2 is a good reflection of that.  As an aside, you should check out
dnf if you haven't already.

> CPO of bww bitwise works GmbH

That one isn't too common (to me, at least); is it intended to be Chief
Product Officer?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPO

On 2016-05-31 21:15:37 +0000, Steve Wendt said:

> Indeed; so many people being unhappy with the current state of yum on
> OS/2 is a good reflection of that.

This looks like your subjective view again; most people I know are
pretty happy with it (at least more happy than with other ways to
install modern software on OS/2). But in either case happines is a
rather subjective measure by itself.

>   As an aside, you should check out
> dnf if you haven't already.

Dnf is a yum successor so it will come to OS/2 one day. But this has
little relevance for OS/2 users (we don't have so many packages yet to
suffer from yum pitfalls dnf came to solve).

> That one isn't too common (to me, at least); is it intended to be Chief
> Product Officer?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPO

Yes it is.

Dmitriy Kuminov wrote:

>> I also never get any communication about the latest configure options
>> (or the odd fix that needs to be applied to all the apps) they're using
>> to stay in sync with them.
>
> Note sure which options and/or odd fix you mean.

The options that you pass to configure, I assume that you added
something like --with-system-nspr and --with-system-nss. Ideally they
should be in a mozconfig as configure will load options from it.
Perhaps even added to browser/config/mozconfigs so that anyone running
make -f client.mk or python mach build will end up with a working
browser. Not sure how much work this would take.
Fixes to Firefox.exe, maybe anything under browser and definitely
anything under browser/app should be considered for the other apps.
Yesterday I added your fixes for commit
ec3cf36722a29f11616c454ebd9c4653e7b5b603 (Report error code and faulty
module name on XUL.DLL load error) to nsMailApp.cpp and nsSuiteApp.cpp

I try to keep up on following progress on Github but all weekend Github
didn't load here and this happens quite often.
Dave

Re: Firefox 38.8.0 Beta 7 released

Lars Erdmann
Looks like the Firefox team is doing a good job of driving away their
users. And I DO NOT mean the people working on the OS/2 version of Firefox.

Example: why did I have to install the Locale switcher in order to be
able to actually ACTIVATE the language pack (in the user interface: menu
bars, etc.) ?
With seamonkey (in the past) I just had to drop the XPI file and restart
the application.
Same thing goes with Thunderbird but I guess that could be expected.

Lars

Lars Erdmann schrieb:
> Looks like the Firefox team is doing a good job of driving away their
> users. And I DO NOT mean the people working on the OS/2 version of Firefox.

Firefox sucks on every platform. I was updating today a remote machine
from v40 to v43 using the integrated update mechanism under windows
(automation was disabled of course). It could not manage to update the
standard theme and crashed at first initialisation. While deinstalling
firefox and installing complete new version 43 works. Btw. the full
install file (for fresh install) was smaller than the downloaded update
package.

> Example: why did I have to install the Locale switcher in order to be
> able to actually ACTIVATE the language pack (in the user interface: menu
> bars, etc.) ?

Local switcher is another example for an Add-On doing only half of the
job. In my opinion "Quick Locale Switcher" should be more reliable and
has crucial functionality to switch the profile language.

> With seamonkey (in the past) I just had to drop the XPI file and restart
> the application.

Unfortunately not everytime. Especially the german langpack has a lot of
issues.

> Same thing goes with Thunderbird but I guess that could be expected.

Without Add-Ons it's almost the same procedure.

--
Andreas

On 2016-06-01 05:33:28 +0000, Dave Yeo said:

> The options that you pass to configure, I assume that you added
> something like --with-system-nspr and --with-system-nss.

Yes this is what I now do.

> Ideally they
> should be in a mozconfig as configure will load options from it.
> Perhaps even added to browser/config/mozconfigs so that anyone running
> make -f client.mk or python mach build will end up with a working
> browser. Not sure how much work this would take.

I get your idea. The thing is that in our workflow such build details
live in RPM .spec files so there is no need to store them in the app
repo. But since there is no .spec for firefox yet, you basically don't
have access to them. Except that you have them in the Wiki (just
updated it with my latest set of switches used to build 38.8.0):

https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/wiki/Developers

I will consider looking at client.mk again but I personally don't like
yet another level between me and makefiles.

> Fixes to Firefox.exe, maybe anything under browser and definitely
> anything under browser/app should be considered for the other apps.
> Yesterday I added your fixes for commit
> ec3cf36722a29f11616c454ebd9c4653e7b5b603 (Report error code and faulty
> module name on XUL.DLL load error) to nsMailApp.cpp and nsSuiteApp.cpp

Okay we should indeed share it across apps. Too pity Mozilla has
somewhat ill source code organization in this regard causing code
duplication and multiple maintenance...

> I try to keep up on following progress on Github but all weekend Github
> didn't load here and this happens quite often.

I see. I don't experience anything like that here.

Dmitriy Kuminov wrote:

> On 2016-06-01 05:33:28 +0000, Dave Yeo said:
>
>> The options that you pass to configure, I assume that you added
>> something like --with-system-nspr and --with-system-nss.
>
> Yes this is what I now do.
>
>> Ideally they
>> should be in a mozconfig as configure will load options from it.
>> Perhaps even added to browser/config/mozconfigs so that anyone running
>> make -f client.mk or python mach build will end up with a working
>> browser. Not sure how much work this would take.
>
> I get your idea. The thing is that in our workflow such build details
> live in RPM .spec files so there is no need to store them in the app
> repo. But since there is no .spec for firefox yet, you basically don't
> have access to them. Except that you have them in the Wiki (just updated
> it with my latest set of switches used to build 38.8.0):
>
> https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/wiki/Developers

OK, I'll note that by having the configure options in a mozconfig means
just running ../configure rather then passing the options and exports
can also be added. Less chance of a typo and easier instructions for others.
I see your still targeting i486. I'm targeting i686 and tuning for
generic, which may benefit AMD more.

> I will consider looking at client.mk again but I personally don't like
> yet another level between me and makefiles.

I note that Fedora's RPM spec file creates a mozconfig and then uses
client.mk to build. Another advantage of client.mk is it takes care of
all the autoconf213 configures, of which there is 4 when building SM or
TB. The spec also uses mach to run the tests.
Client.mk seems to work fine here, mach clobber is good for cleaning the
object directory while mach build just calls client.mk.

>> Fixes to Firefox.exe, maybe anything under browser and definitely
>> anything under browser/app should be considered for the other apps.
>> Yesterday I added your fixes for commit
>> ec3cf36722a29f11616c454ebd9c4653e7b5b603 (Report error code and faulty
>> module name on XUL.DLL load error) to nsMailApp.cpp and nsSuiteApp.cpp
>
> Okay we should indeed share it across apps. Too pity Mozilla has
> somewhat ill source code organization in this regard causing code
> duplication and multiple maintenance...

Things have improved, Comm-centrals configure basically just calls
Mozilla's configure now instead of mostly duplicating it along with
simplifying CCs build and config directories. The duplication is mostly
in the individual app directories.
The TB and SM maintainers were trying to get Comm-Central merged into
Mozilla-Central but that was rejected along with a blanket statement
that Mozilla developers can't spend _any_ paid time on Comm-Central and
basically have orphaned Thunderbird (and SeaMonkey) so right now they
seem to have forked Mozilla-Central, which if the OS/2 fork of Mozilla
survives past 45ESR could be a problem.
Past 45ESR, they're making Rust a requirement, which sounds like a bitch
to bootstrap as most versions, including point releases can only build
from the previous version, something like 31 steps required to bring it
up to date, and that's after porting LLVM.
They're also finally ripping out autoconf so lots of build changes after
45esr.

>> I try to keep up on following progress on Github but all weekend Github
>> didn't load here and this happens quite often.
>
> I see. I don't experience anything like that here.

Yes, its weird. Some-days everything loads fine here, other days quite a
few sites such as Github, Wikipedia and others just time out.
Dave