Firefox 31.8.0: Use of Add-On "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2" causes 99% CPU utilization

Firefox 31.8.0: Use of Add-On "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2" causes 99% CPU utilization

Lars Erdmann
Hallo,

this issue has been mentioned already quite often:
after starting the application Firefox becomes completely unresponsive
for timespans of say 10 seconds. Then it continues on until the same
happens again. When it becomes unresponsive, one of the CPU cores will
show 99% of usage, if you only have/use one core then of course that
core will show 99% of usage.

As this is really frustrating, I disabled all add-ons and restarted
Firefox again and again, each time with one additional add-on reenabled.

It now turns out that "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2" is the culprit.
If I have it disabled, I don't see this issue, if I enable it, I run
into the above mentioned problem. This is even true if an "internal"
webpage like about:addons is displayed in Firefox.

Now, I don't blame Firefox for this error but we would need to find out
how an add-on executes within the Firefox application process and we
would need to think about how an add-on can be prevented from
monopolizing the whole application process.
I don't know if this problem is OS/2 specific but I fear that it is.

Lars

Re: Firefox 31.8.0: Use of Add-On "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2" causes 99% CPU utilization

Dave Yeo-3
On 02/14/16 03:39 AM, Lars Erdmann wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> this issue has been mentioned already quite often:
> after starting the application Firefox becomes completely unresponsive
> for timespans of say 10 seconds. Then it continues on until the same
> happens again. When it becomes unresponsive, one of the CPU cores will
> show 99% of usage, if you only have/use one core then of course that
> core will show 99% of usage.
>
> As this is really frustrating, I disabled all add-ons and restarted
> Firefox again and again, each time with one additional add-on reenabled.
>
> It now turns out that "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2" is the culprit.
> If I have it disabled, I don't see this issue, if I enable it, I run
> into the above mentioned problem. This is even true if an "internal"
> webpage like about:addons is displayed in Firefox.

I've installed HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2 and so far don't see the 100% CPU
issue.
It is known that different add-ons can bring out bugs in the browser,
often due to interactions between different add-ons, profile problems etc.
Have you tried to create a new profile and only install HTTPS Everywhere?

> Now, I don't blame Firefox for this error but we would need to find out
> how an add-on executes within the Firefox application process and we
> would need to think about how an add-on can be prevented from
> monopolizing the whole application process.
> I don't know if this problem is OS/2 specific but I fear that it is.

It may only be specific to your setup, I'll keep testing
Dave

Re: Firefox 31.8.0: Use of Add-On "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2" causes 99% CPU utilization

Tom Brown-19
Lars,

Some additional information, which may or may not be relevant...

I have had a similar problem, on a daily basis, for years. It happens
with both FF (31.8.0) and with various versions of Seamonkey,
currently  seamonkey-2.28b5r2. I do NOT have "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2"
installed, either on FF or SM. I have a Tyan S2895 motherboard with
dual AMD Opteron 275 CPUs (4 cores total, 2.2 Ghz).

While running either SM or FF, typically in cnn.com or
news.google.com, ONE of the cpus will go to 99.9%, the status line at
the bottom of the screen will display "waiting for" some site such as
doubleclick.net or another ad site, and the whole system will hang. At
this point, it is difficult to bring up the window list using Ctrl-Esc
ahthough it can usually be done eventually. If I wait long enough, I
might regain control. Sometimes, I have to C-A-D and kill the browser.
I can often run another OS/2 app, such as solitaire, PMView, etc. to
pass the time while waiting for the browser to get over it's choking
fit.

This sounds to me like a different situation from yours, but I would
really like to find a solution.

I have the following add-ons installed in SM:

Adblock Plus 2.6.11
Chatzilla 0.9.92
DownloadHelper 4.9.24.1-signed
Flashblock 1.3.20
NoScript 2.6.9.37
Remove Duplicate Messages (Alternate) 0.3.8
User Agent Switcher 0.7.3.1-signed

If you or anyone else can shed some light on this, please respond!

Thanks!

--
Tom Brown, Catherder
thomabrown at gmail dot com

Tom Brown wrote:

> Lars,
>
> Some additional information, which may or may not be relevant...
>
> I have had a similar problem, on a daily basis, for years. It happens
> with both FF (31.8.0) and with various versions of Seamonkey,
> currently  seamonkey-2.28b5r2. I do NOT have "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2"
> installed, either on FF or SM. I have a Tyan S2895 motherboard with
> dual AMD Opteron 275 CPUs (4 cores total, 2.2 Ghz).
>
> While running either SM or FF, typically in cnn.com or
> news.google.com, ONE of the cpus will go to 99.9%, the status line at
> the bottom of the screen will display "waiting for" some site such as
> doubleclick.net or another ad site, and the whole system will hang. At
> this point, it is difficult to bring up the window list using Ctrl-Esc
> ahthough it can usually be done eventually. If I wait long enough, I
> might regain control. Sometimes, I have to C-A-D and kill the browser.
> I can often run another OS/2 app, such as solitaire, PMView, etc. to
> pass the time while waiting for the browser to get over it's choking
> fit.
>
> This sounds to me like a different situation from yours, but I would
> really like to find a solution.
>
> I have the following add-ons installed in SM:
>
> Adblock Plus 2.6.11
> Chatzilla 0.9.92
> DownloadHelper 4.9.24.1-signed
> Flashblock 1.3.20
> NoScript 2.6.9.37
> Remove Duplicate Messages (Alternate) 0.3.8
> User Agent Switcher 0.7.3.1-signed
>
> If you or anyone else can shed some light on this, please respond!
>
> Thanks!

My guess is a subtle JavaScript bug[s]. I use NoScript to block as many
scripts as I can get away with and have a fairly stable browser.
The ads are often compromised as well so at least in Toms case, it may
well be a script trying to take advantage of a security hole. While
often they won't work on our platform, they can still have negative effects.
Dave

> On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 11:39:55 UTC, Lars Erdmann <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hallo,
>>
>> this issue has been mentioned already quite often:
>> after starting the application Firefox becomes completely unresponsive
>> for timespans of say 10 seconds. Then it continues on until the same
>> happens again. When it becomes unresponsive, one of the CPU cores will
>> show 99% of usage, if you only have/use one core then of course that
>> core will show 99% of usage.
>>
>> As this is really frustrating, I disabled all add-ons and restarted
>> Firefox again and again, each time with one additional add-on reenabled.
>>
>> It now turns out that "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2" is the culprit.
>> If I have it disabled, I don't see this issue, if I enable it, I run
>> into the above mentioned problem. This is even true if an "internal"
>> webpage like about:addons is displayed in Firefox.
>>
>> Now, I don't blame Firefox for this error but we would need to find out
>> how an add-on executes within the Firefox application process and we
>> would need to think about how an add-on can be prevented from
>> monopolizing the whole application process.
>> I don't know if this problem is OS/2 specific but I fear that it is.
>>
>> Lars

Re: Firefox 31.8.0: Use of Add-On "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2" causes 99% CPU utilization

Andreas Buchinger
Dave Yeo schrieb:
> Tom Brown wrote:
>> Lars,

>> While running either SM or FF, typically in cnn.com or
>> news.google.com, ONE of the cpus will go to 99.9%, the status line at
>> the bottom of the screen will display "waiting for" some site such as
>> doubleclick.net or another ad site, and the whole system will hang. At
>> this point, it is difficult to bring up the window list using Ctrl-Esc
>> ahthough it can usually be done eventually. If I wait long enough, I
>> might regain control. Sometimes, I have to C-A-D and kill the browser.
>> I can often run another OS/2 app, such as solitaire, PMView, etc. to
>> pass the time while waiting for the browser to get over it's choking
>> fit.
>>
>> This sounds to me like a different situation from yours, but I would
>> really like to find a solution.

I do have similar problems - waiting for some site for minutes (?) with
one of the latest SM from Dave. But do not see the 99% CPU load. Only SM
is not responding.

> My guess is a subtle JavaScript bug[s]. I use NoScript to block as many
> scripts as I can get away with and have a fairly stable browser.
> The ads are often compromised as well so at least in Toms case, it may
> well be a script trying to take advantage of a security hole. While
> often they won't work on our platform, they can still have negative effects.
> Dave

I use NoScript too. But in contrary my guess is some overload on the
TCP/IP stack which delays address resolving (?). Probably triggered by
JavaScripts which try to load so much useless stuff from so many sites.

Sometimes when I start FF in parallel and try to load the same site this
unblocks the situation (or maybe the hang timed out). Usually FF
displays the same site slowly but it came up long before when SM is
still waiting for some content. But after FF has loaded it, SM
eventually get it too.

IIRC even 'ping google.com' times out in such situations which let me
think of a more fundamental problem than JavaScrips.

One more observation is the newsreader seem to block whole SM sometimes
too. I think especially when it tries to fetch news from sites hard to
connect or temporary shut down (openwatcom.org, ecomstation.com). The
browser do not get anything until some magic time out.

Even worse was the situation when I had installed the calendar.
Synchronizing with google/calendar (guess) let whole SM being unresponsive.

From all of this my guess is some sort of overload of our underlying
system (stack? address resolution?). After some time out SM usually
works again. Triggered maybe by JavaScrips (images.amazon.com, gmx.net).

Only wanted to share my findings. But it is very hard for me to debug
this better cause some of my problems maybe caused by my lousy ADSL
connection. Sometime I have a Win machine running at the same time (not
very often). And SM on Win usually does not show such problems. So for
now I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with our port/system.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Firefox 31.8.0: Use of Add-On "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2" causes 99% CPU utilization

Doug Bissett-2
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 08:25:11 UTC, Andreas Buchinger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Only wanted to share my findings. But it is very hard for me to debug
> this better cause some of my problems maybe caused by my lousy ADSL
> connection. Sometime I have a Win machine running at the same time (not
> very often). And SM on Win usually does not show such problems. So for
> now I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with our port/system.

Which network adapter, and driver, do you use? I saw something similar
to that with a Realtek 8168 NIC, and the Arca Noae R8169 driver. After
I switched to the new MMRE driver, I don't see the problem any more.

--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net

On 15.02.16 22.23, Doug Bissett wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 08:25:11 UTC, Andreas Buchinger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Only wanted to share my findings. But it is very hard for me to debug
>> this better cause some of my problems maybe caused by my lousy ADSL
>> connection. Sometime I have a Win machine running at the same time (not
>> very often). And SM on Win usually does not show such problems. So for
>> now I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with our port/system.
>>

> Which network adapter, and driver, do you use? I saw something similar
> to that with a Realtek 8168 NIC, and the Arca Noae R8169 driver. After
> I switched to the new MMRE driver, I don't see the problem any more.

I do use the Realtek R8169$ NIC driver. So where do I get the MMRE driver ?

Lars

Re: Firefox 31.8.0: Use of Add-On "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2" causes 99% CPU utilization

David McKenna
Tom,

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 22:49:48 -0600, Tom Brown wrote:

>Lars,
>
>Some additional information, which may or may not be relevant...
>
>I have had a similar problem, on a daily basis, for years. It happens
>with both FF (31.8.0) and with various versions of Seamonkey,
>currently  seamonkey-2.28b5r2. I do NOT have "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2"
>installed, either on FF or SM. I have a Tyan S2895 motherboard with
>dual AMD Opteron 275 CPUs (4 cores total, 2.2 Ghz).
>
>While running either SM or FF, typically in cnn.com or
>news.google.com, ONE of the cpus will go to 99.9%, the status line at
>the bottom of the screen will display "waiting for" some site such as
>doubleclick.net or another ad site, and the whole system will hang. At
>this point, it is difficult to bring up the window list using Ctrl-Esc
>ahthough it can usually be done eventually. If I wait long enough, I
>might regain control. Sometimes, I have to C-A-D and kill the browser.
>I can often run another OS/2 app, such as solitaire, PMView, etc. to
>pass the time while waiting for the browser to get over it's choking
>fit.
>
>This sounds to me like a different situation from yours, but I would
>really like to find a solution.
>
>I have the following add-ons installed in SM:
>
>Adblock Plus 2.6.11
>Chatzilla 0.9.92
>DownloadHelper 4.9.24.1-signed
>Flashblock 1.3.20
>NoScript 2.6.9.37
>Remove Duplicate Messages (Alternate) 0.3.8
>User Agent Switcher 0.7.3.1-signed
>
>If you or anyone else can shed some light on this, please respond!
>
>Thanks!

 You might want to give the HOSTS file here a try:
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

  It blocks trackers and the like and may help your issue (which I do not see
here). Save your old one (in \MPTN\ETC) in case you want to revert to it.

Regards,

Dave McKenna

Re: Firefox 31.8.0: Use of Add-On "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2" causes 99% CPU utilization

Andreas Kohl-6
Hello,

Lars Erdmann schrieb:
> this issue has been mentioned already quite often:
> after starting the application Firefox becomes completely unresponsive
> for timespans of say 10 seconds. Then it continues on until the same
> happens again. When it becomes unresponsive, one of the CPU cores will
> show 99% of usage, if you only have/use one core then of course that
> core will show 99% of usage.

Did you try to disable the browsing history (Browser-Chronik)?

> As this is really frustrating, I disabled all add-ons and restarted
> Firefox again and again, each time with one additional add-on reenabled.
>
> It now turns out that "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2" is the culprit.
> If I have it disabled, I don't see this issue, if I enable it, I run
> into the above mentioned problem. This is even true if an "internal"
> webpage like about:addons is displayed in Firefox.

It's only internal by changing all addon updates to manually and by
stopping other fancy things also. So it will be more complicated with
newer fx version lacking ui support for switching those things.

> Now, I don't blame Firefox for this error but we would need to find out
> how an add-on executes within the Firefox application process and we
> would need to think about how an add-on can be prevented from
> monopolizing the whole application process.
> I don't know if this problem is OS/2 specific but I fear that it is.

I hope that your mozilla plugin directory is empty or plugin
functionality is disabled - especially when upgrading from previous
mozilla versions.

In the end I can only recommend to use seamonkey 2.28b5 (Dave's build).
It has some problems with integrated audio-video support (fx has the
same btw.). With latest mplayer + npmp-plugin it's definitely more
reliable. Latest lightning 3.3.8 addon and couple of other addons seem
to run almost without problems. I will report about results of long term
https-ew usage soon.

--
Andreas

Andreas Buchinger wrote:

> Dave Yeo schrieb:
>> Tom Brown wrote:
>>> Lars,
>>> While running either SM or FF, typically in cnn.com or
>>> news.google.com, ONE of the cpus will go to 99.9%, the status line at
>>> the bottom of the screen will display "waiting for" some site such as
>>> doubleclick.net or another ad site, and the whole system will hang. At
>>> this point, it is difficult to bring up the window list using Ctrl-Esc
>>> ahthough it can usually be done eventually. If I wait long enough, I
>>> might regain control. Sometimes, I have to C-A-D and kill the browser.
>>> I can often run another OS/2 app, such as solitaire, PMView, etc. to
>>> pass the time while waiting for the browser to get over it's choking
>>> fit.
>>>
>>> This sounds to me like a different situation from yours, but I would
>>> really like to find a solution.
>>>

> I do have similar problems - waiting for some site for minutes (?) with
> one of the latest SM from Dave. But do not see the 99% CPU load. Only SM
> is not responding.

I see similar I think, SeaMonkey doesn't load pages at times though the
browser is still responsive

>> My guess is a subtle JavaScript bug[s]. I use NoScript to block as many
>> scripts as I can get away with and have a fairly stable browser.
>> The ads are often compromised as well so at least in Toms case, it may
>> well be a script trying to take advantage of a security hole. While
>> often they won't work on our platform, they can still have negative effects.
>> Dave
>
> I use NoScript too. But in contrary my guess is some overload on the
> TCP/IP stack which delays address resolving (?). Probably triggered by
> JavaScripts which try to load so much useless stuff from so many sites.
>
> Sometimes when I start FF in parallel and try to load the same site this
> unblocks the situation (or maybe the hang timed out). Usually FF
> displays the same site slowly but it came up long before when SM is
> still waiting for some content. But after FF has loaded it, SM
> eventually get it too.

This I think is a different problem from the 100% CPU load triggered by
JavaScript. Seems to be problems with sockets, perhaps not getting
released. Sometimes restarting the browser helps, sometimes flushing the
routing tables and sometimes only a reboot.

> IIRC even 'ping google.com' times out in such situations which let me
> think of a more fundamental problem than JavaScrips.

Try running \mptn\bin\setup.cmd. Sometimes fixes it here.
What is strange is the other computers on the network, all going through
my dial-up connection keep working fine.

> One more observation is the newsreader seem to block whole SM sometimes
> too. I think especially when it tries to fetch news from sites hard to
> connect or temporary shut down (openwatcom.org, ecomstation.com). The
> browser do not get anything until some magic time out.

I get similar on Thunderbird, where all my mail is. There are a couple
of design problems, too much running on the main thread and the mork
database, which is also a flat, single threaded beast.
I do find that defragging (profiles have their own partition here.
Delete all and restore from backup) helps quite a bit.

> Even worse was the situation when I had installed the calendar.
> Synchronizing with google/calendar (guess) let whole SM being unresponsive.
>
>>From all of this my guess is some sort of overload of our underlying
> system (stack? address resolution?). After some time out SM usually
> works again. Triggered maybe by JavaScrips (images.amazon.com, gmx.net).
>
> Only wanted to share my findings. But it is very hard for me to debug
> this better cause some of my problems maybe caused by my lousy ADSL
> connection. Sometime I have a Win machine running at the same time (not
> very often). And SM on Win usually does not show such problems. So for
> now I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with our port/system.

I think both. Old stack that could use some love and our port really
could use a couple of full time programmers. My source tree is well over
2 GBs, including the revision control stuff. It's a lot of code, which
has been changing a lot and the changes will just keep speeding up. Like
Cameron, it's hard to imagine keeping up and seems useless as they
remove basic stuff like FTP.
Dave

David McKenna wrote:
>   You might want to give the HOSTS file here a try:
> http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
>
>    It blocks trackers and the like and may help your issue (which I do not see
> here). Save your old one (in \MPTN\ETC) in case you want to revert to it.

I'll second that. Make sure localhost is in the new one
Dave

Doug Bissett wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 08:25:11 UTC, Andreas Buchinger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Only wanted to share my findings. But it is very hard for me to debug
>> this better cause some of my problems maybe caused by my lousy ADSL
>> connection. Sometime I have a Win machine running at the same time (not
>> very often). And SM on Win usually does not show such problems. So for
>> now I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with our port/system.
>>

> Which network adapter, and driver, do you use? I saw something similar
> to that with a Realtek 8168 NIC, and the Arca Noae R8169 driver. After
> I switched to the new MMRE driver, I don't see the problem any more.

I understand tht Realtek puts too much functionality in the driver
instead in hardware like most network cards.
Dave

Andreas Kohl wrote:
> In the end I can only recommend to use seamonkey 2.28b5 (Dave's build).
> It has some problems with integrated audio-video support (fx has the
> same btw.). With latest mplayer + npmp-plugin it's definitely more
> reliable. Latest lightning 3.3.8 addon and couple of other addons seem
> to run almost without problems. I will report about results of long term
> https-ew usage soon.

2.35 is working nicely here, though their is a problem with lightning,
namely it screws up the theme and the right scroll bars are truncated
like the edge of the browser needs to be dragged right a little. It
works but looks weird with only 2/3rds of the scroll bar.
I'm hoping to upload a build as soon as possible. Wish I could split the
upload over a couple of nights :)
Dave

Dave Yeo schrieb:
> 2.35 is working nicely here, though their is a problem with lightning,

good news

> namely it screws up the theme and the right scroll bars are truncated
> like the edge of the browser needs to be dragged right a little. It
> works but looks weird with only 2/3rds of the scroll bar.

Same experience here.
I didn't check the code so far. So it could be a problem of using the
linux skin resources. I think it's controlled by the mozilla app. Any
idea how to use windows skins instead?

> I'm hoping to upload a build as soon as possible. Wish I could split the
> upload over a couple of nights :)

Thanks
Andreas

Re: Firefox 31.8.0: Use of Add-On "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2" causes 99% CPU utilization

Doug Bissett-2
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 21:42:39 UTC, Lars Erdmann <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 15.02.16 22.23, Doug Bissett wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 08:25:11 UTC, Andreas Buchinger <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Only wanted to share my findings. But it is very hard for me to debug
> >> this better cause some of my problems maybe caused by my lousy ADSL
> >> connection. Sometime I have a Win machine running at the same time (not
> >> very often). And SM on Win usually does not show such problems. So for
> >> now I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with our port/system.
> >>

> > Which network adapter, and driver, do you use? I saw something similar
> > to that with a Realtek 8168 NIC, and the Arca Noae R8169 driver. After
> > I switched to the new MMRE driver, I don't see the problem any more.
> >
> I do use the Realtek R8169$ NIC driver. So where do I get the MMRE driver ?
>
> Lars

It is in the Arca Noae driver package.

--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net

Doug Bissett schrieb:

> On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 08:25:11 UTC, Andreas Buchinger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Only wanted to share my findings. But it is very hard for me to debug
>> this better cause some of my problems maybe caused by my lousy ADSL
>> connection. Sometime I have a Win machine running at the same time (not
>> very often). And SM on Win usually does not show such problems. So for
>> now I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with our port/system.
>>

> Which network adapter, and driver, do you use? I saw something similar
> to that with a Realtek 8168 NIC, and the Arca Noae R8169 driver. After
> I switched to the new MMRE driver, I don't see the problem any more.

Yes I use the AN R8169 for this interface. Unfortunately installing the
MMRE driver leads to a hard hang just when pmshell wants to
start/switches to graphic mode. So this is no option for this machine :-(

Andreas Kohl wrote:

>> namely it screws up the theme and the right scroll bars are truncated
>> like the edge of the browser needs to be dragged right a little. It
>> works but looks weird with only 2/3rds of the scroll bar.
>
> Same experience here.
> I didn't check the code so far. So it could be a problem of using the
> linux skin resources. I think it's controlled by the mozilla app. Any
> idea how to use windows skins instead?

It seems to be chosen in calendar\base\jar.mn, but I'm not really sure
how it is parsed.
In other places the theme is chosen based on ifdefs so for us it's
something like if defined WIN_XP || defined OS2_XP but the jar.mn is
quite different. Looking at older versions, there only seems to have
been one basic theme.
I guess I can try simply changing WindowsNT to OS2 and recompile,
unluckily it takes over 3 hours to rebuild.
Dave

Andreas Kohl wrote:
> Dave Yeo schrieb:
>> 2.35 is working nicely here, though there is a problem with lightning,
>
> good news

I wonder how localization will work with calendar 4.x?`It is
automatically installed now.
Dave

Re: Firefox 31.8.0: Use of Add-On "HTTPS Everywhere 5.1.2" causes 99% CPU utilization

Doug Bissett-2
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 19:48:15 UTC, Andreas Buchinger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Doug Bissett schrieb:
> > On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 08:25:11 UTC, Andreas Buchinger <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Only wanted to share my findings. But it is very hard for me to debug
> >> this better cause some of my problems maybe caused by my lousy ADSL
> >> connection. Sometime I have a Win machine running at the same time (not
> >> very often). And SM on Win usually does not show such problems. So for
> >> now I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with our port/system.
> >>

> > Which network adapter, and driver, do you use? I saw something similar
> > to that with a Realtek 8168 NIC, and the Arca Noae R8169 driver. After
> > I switched to the new MMRE driver, I don't see the problem any more.
> >

> Yes I use the AN R8169 for this interface. Unfortunately installing the
> MMRE driver leads to a hard hang just when pmshell wants to
> start/switches to graphic mode. So this is no option for this machine :-(

Interesting. I have 4 machines with Realtek adapters. The one that has
a PCI card, with an 8169 chip, doesn't work with MMRE (reported, but
no reponse, yet - I don't even remember what is wrong). It does work
fine with the R8169 driver though. It is my newest system, with an
8168 chip that won't work with R8169 (well, it works for a minute, or
two, then stalls), and does work with MMRE. The other two work with
either driver, but I am using MMRE.

Anyway, a hard hang sort of points to an IRQ conflict of some sort
(not that that helps). You might be able to prove something, if you
can use another adapter, to see what happens.

--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net

On 16.02.16 18.23, Doug Bissett wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 21:42:39 UTC, Lars Erdmann <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 15.02.16 22.23, Doug Bissett wrote:

>>> Which network adapter, and driver, do you use? I saw something similar
>>> to that with a Realtek 8168 NIC, and the Arca Noae R8169 driver. After
>>> I switched to the new MMRE driver, I don't see the problem any more.
>>>
>> I do use the Realtek R8169$ NIC driver. So where do I get the MMRE driver ?
>>
>> Lars
>
> It is in the Arca Noae driver package.

The MMRE driver does not make a bit of a difference. Still the same
problem. The MMRE also does not support tying to more than protocol.
However on my MUT partition I have to tie to "Kernel Debug Protocol" as
well as "TCPIP".

Lars