Firefox 3 accessibility brochure for CSUN

Firefox 3 accessibility brochure for CSUN

Frank Hecker-2
Marco created a Firefox 3 accessibility brochure for us to print and
distribute at the CSUN conference this week. I've taken Marco's draft,
made some minor text changes, reformatted it and added Firefox and
Mozilla logos, and produced a final draft brochure for your review; you
can find it at

   http://hecker.org/mozilla/firefox-3-accessibility-brochure.pdf

Please review the brochure and let me know of any proposed changes. Once
the brochure is final I'll then arrange to get some copies printed for
us to distribute at the booth.

(Note that although the electronic copy is in color I was planning to
print it in black and white to save money. Also, unfortunately we won't
have time to print braille versions as we did in the past.)

Frank

--
Frank Hecker

Re: Firefox 3 accessibility brochure for CSUN

Aaron Leventhal-3
Thanks for giving us a chance to review. Here are my comments:

 > Voice dictation software such as Dragon Naturally
 > Speaking can use IAccessible2 to implement features such as “Say and
 > Select” without having to rely on direct screen manipulation.

I think the Dragon feature is actually called "Select and Say" and it
was reversed in the brochure. Note that Dragon doesn't actually
implement support for it yet so I'm not sure it's the first thing I'd
brag about. That's more of an item to brag about after we evangelize to
Nuance and get them to support it (if we do).

 > Improved support of the ARIA recommendation
It's not a W3C recommendation yet. Still just a draft standard.

We did a lot of work to improve how Firefox works with JAWS 8 and above.
I think that's worth mentioning.

It also might be worth mentioning some of the Firefox 3 improvements in
general to this crowd. For example, saying that Firefox is faster and
uses less memory is as important to a11y folks as anyone else. What
about other new Firefox features? Where can they read more? etc.

- Aaron

Re: Firefox 3 accessibility brochure for CSUN

Steve Lee-3
That is excellent.
My only thought is to add a mention of accessfirefox.com for learning
how to use the FF a11y features.

Steve

On 10/03/2008, Frank Hecker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Marco created a Firefox 3 accessibility brochure for us to print and
>  distribute at the CSUN conference this week. I've taken Marco's draft,
>  made some minor text changes, reformatted it and added Firefox and
>  Mozilla logos, and produced a final draft brochure for your review; you
>  can find it at
>
>    http://hecker.org/mozilla/firefox-3-accessibility-brochure.pdf
>
>  Please review the brochure and let me know of any proposed changes. Once
>  the brochure is final I'll then arrange to get some copies printed for
>  us to distribute at the booth.
>
>  (Note that although the electronic copy is in color I was planning to
>  print it in black and white to save money. Also, unfortunately we won't
>  have time to print braille versions as we did in the past.)
>
>  Frank
>

>  --
>  Frank Hecker
>  [hidden email]

Steve Lee
--
Open Source Assistive Technology
www.fullmeasure.co.uk

Re: Firefox 3 accessibility brochure for CSUN

Willie Walker
I think it looks great.  Thanks!

Will

Frank Hecker wrote:

> Marco created a Firefox 3 accessibility brochure for us to print and
> distribute at the CSUN conference this week. I've taken Marco's draft,
> made some minor text changes, reformatted it and added Firefox and
> Mozilla logos, and produced a final draft brochure for your review; you
> can find it at
>
>    http://hecker.org/mozilla/firefox-3-accessibility-brochure.pdf
>
> Please review the brochure and let me know of any proposed changes. Once
> the brochure is final I'll then arrange to get some copies printed for
> us to distribute at the booth.
>
> (Note that although the electronic copy is in color I was planning to
> print it in black and white to save money. Also, unfortunately we won't
> have time to print braille versions as we did in the past.)
>
> Frank

Re: Firefox 3 accessibility brochure for CSUN

Frank Hecker-2
I've created a new draft of the Firefox 3 accessibility brochure and
made it available at the same URL as previously:

http://hecker.org/mozilla/firefox-3-accessibility-brochure.pdf

This version incorporates the following changes based on feedback from
Aaron and Steve:

* Added brief mention of better performance and memory use in Firefox 3.
* Added brief mention of better compatibility with JAWS 8 and later.
* Removed specific reference to Dragon Naturally Speaking and "Select
and Say", but left in a general reference to how voice dictation
software might use IAccessible2.
* Referred to ARIA as a draft standard.
* Added accessfirefox.org as a source for further information.

Regarding providing information on other Firefox 3 features, right now
there is no good general Firefox 3 site that I think is suitable for end
users. If anyone can suggest a good one I'll consider adding it.
Otherwise perhaps we could include some links to Firefox 3 information
on the Mozilla accessibility project page or on accessfirefox.org.

Frank

--
Frank Hecker

Re: Firefox 3 accessibility brochure for CSUN

Aaron Leventhal-3
Frank,

I think Marco is the best person to say what's worth mentioning about
Firefox 3.

My initial guess is that we should at least mention the "Awesome Bar".
That's really a killer feature that makes it easier to get to your
favorite places.

- Aaron