Firefox 3.0: template using RDF in-memory-datasource

Firefox 3.0: template using RDF in-memory-datasource

moody-5
I want to display the contents of an in-memory-datasource (I'm
updating Robert Ginda's XPCOM Component Viewer for Firefox 3.0). When
starting with datasources="rdf:null", it seems the only way to get a
template to display is to set the datasources attribute. Calling
methods on tree.database (AddDataSource, refresh, rebuild) seems to
have no effect.

I've tried all kinds of crap -- even tried assigning an arbitrary URI
to the in-memory-datasource instance, then registering this datasource
with the rdf service, which actually causes the browser to crash.

Am I doing something wrong (besides registering my in-memory-
datasource), or is this some kind of ploy to get people to stop using
RDF? Where could I have found relevant documentation (everything I've
read seems to indicate what I'm trying to do is still possible on
Firefox 3.0)?

Re: Firefox 3.0: template using RDF in-memory-datasource

Neil-4
[hidden email] wrote:

>I want to display the contents of an in-memory-datasource (I'm updating Robert Ginda's XPCOM Component Viewer for Firefox 3.0). When starting with datasources="rdf:null", it seems the only way to get a template to display is to set the datasources attribute. Calling methods on tree.database (AddDataSource, refresh, rebuild) seems to have no effect.

Depending on what operations you need to be able to support you might
find it easier to rewrite the code to use a custom tree view.
Alternatively for debugging purposes you could try hard coding the
datasources to be a path to a local file on your machine, then you can
flush the data source to see the effects of your RDF manipulations
(assuming you can read RDF/XML) or simply use the output as a convenient
source of test data.

>I've tried all kinds of crap -- even tried assigning an arbitrary URI to the in-memory-datasource instance, then registering this datasource with the rdf service, which actually causes the browser to crash.

Registering datasources with the RDF service runs into reference count
issues.

>Am I doing something wrong (besides registering my in-memory-datasource), or is this some kind of ploy to get people to stop using RDF?

No, it's just that although there are some things that RDF does very
well, there are also lots of things that it does quite poorly and
nobody's interested in being responsible for improving it.

>Where could I have found relevant documentation (everything I've read seems to indicate what I'm trying to do is still possible on Firefox 3.0)?

Any documentation should exist on the developer.mozilla.org wiki.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.