Firefox 2 anti-phishing

VIX-2
Which is better, "check using a downloaded list of suspected sites" or
" Check by asking Google about each site i visit". I don't understand
the difference either?

Re: Firefox 2 anti-phishing

steve.england@gmail.com
" Check by asking Google about each site i visit" sends all links you
click on to google for live checking.

"check using a downloaded list of suspected sites" means google's
phishing list is downloaded onto your PC and the URLs you visit checked
against that.

if you use the list, then every 30 mins firefox will check with google
to see if any new sites have been added to their list, and if so, it
will retreive the new ones.

steve

vix wrote:
> Which is better, "check using a downloaded list of suspected sites" or
> " Check by asking Google about each site i visit". I don't understand
> the difference either?

Re: Firefox 2 anti-phishing

Peter Lairo-3
[hidden email] said on 25.10.2006 13:28:

> " Check by asking Google about each site i visit" sends all links you
> click on to google for live checking.
>
> "check using a downloaded list of suspected sites" means google's
> phishing list is downloaded onto your PC and the URLs you visit checked
> against that.
>
> if you use the list, then every 30 mins firefox will check with google
> to see if any new sites have been added to their list, and if so, it
> will retreive the new ones.

Then why do we have that (confusing) option at all?

Just make "download the list" the default, and be done with it. It's
sufficient (current every 30 minutes) and it is the more privacy protecting.

Peter Lairo

The browser you can trust:   www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox:          www.GetThunderbird.com

Re: Firefox 2 anti-phishing

Mike Beltzner
The half life of some phishing sites is less than the default update period for the blacklist. We wanted to give our users the option for the most up to date protection if they were willing to trade their clickstream for it.

The option is worded clearly to make this tradeoff well-understood, yet not the default.

cheers,
mike
[hidden email] said on 25.10.2006 13:28:

> " Check by asking Google about each site i visit" sends all links you
> click on to google for live checking.
>
> "check using a downloaded list of suspected sites" means google's
> phishing list is downloaded onto your PC and the URLs you visit checked
> against that.
>
> if you use the list, then every 30 mins firefox will check with google
> to see if any new sites have been added to their list, and if so, it
> will retreive the new ones.
Then why do we have that (confusing) option at all?

Just make "download the list" the default, and be done with it. It's
sufficient (current every 30 minutes) and it is the more privacy protecting.

Peter Lairo

The browser you can trust:   www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox:          www.GetThunderbird.com

Re: Firefox 2 anti-phishing

Sherman-6

> Then why do we have that (confusing) option at all?
>
> Just make "download the list" the default, and be done with it. It's
> sufficient (current every 30 minutes) and it is the more privacy protecting.
> --

"Check using a downloaded list of suspected sites" is the default.

Re: Firefox 2 anti-phishing

Peter Kasting
Peter Lairo wrote:

> [hidden email] said on 25.10.2006 13:28:
>> if you use the list, then every 30 mins firefox will check with google
>> to see if any new sites have been added to their list, and if so, it
>> will retreive the new ones.
>
> Then why do we have that (confusing) option at all?
>
> Just make "download the list" the default, and be done with it. It's
> sufficient (current every 30 minutes) and it is the more privacy
> protecting.

Using a downloaded list is already the default.

But perhaps you meant "please remove the capability to do live checking
with a third party", in which case you may want to make a more
substantial argument as to why this is unnecessary and shouldn't be an
option for users.

PK

Re: Firefox 2 anti-phishing

J. Koch

On Oct 26, 11:12 pm, Peter Kasting <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But perhaps you meant "please remove the capability to do live checking
> with a third party", in which case you may want to make a more
> substantial argument as to why this is unnecessary and shouldn't be an
> option for users.
>
> PK

I like it the way it is. Everyone has to decide on its own wether he
"trusts" Google or not and everyone has a "good" Protection either.
For most of the ppl the actual Default selection should fit - some
others (like me) are more preocupied....
Do not remove this option please ;)