Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

WaltS-3
Perusing the Mozilla Platform meeting notes, there will be a chemspill
release on Friday.

"Firefox 18.0.1 (maintenance, not security-driven, desktop only)"

<http://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/1264>

--
Fedora 17 (64-bit) KDE 4.9.5
Thunderbird Release

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

Ant-21
Thanks. Will there be a SeaMonkey v2.15.1 with these fixes too?

On 1/16/2013 5:29 AM PT, WaltS typed:

> Perusing the Mozilla Platform meeting notes, there will be a chemspill
> release on Friday.
>
> "Firefox 18.0.1 (maintenance, not security-driven, desktop only)"
>
> <http://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/1264>
--
"Now I have you where I want you... where is my jar of Bull ants?" --unknown
    /\___/\         Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

F1Com
On 1/16/2013 5:29 AM On a whim, WaltS pounded out on the keyboard

> Perusing the Mozilla Platform meeting notes, there will be a chemspill
> release on Friday.
>
> "Firefox 18.0.1 (maintenance, not security-driven, desktop only)"
>
> <http://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/1264>

Can I ask why you feel the need to post this info?  I mean, I'm never
sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for ANY software update.  When it
happens, it happens.

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

WaltS-3
On 01/16/2013 03:46 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 1/16/2013 5:29 AM On a whim, WaltS pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> Perusing the Mozilla Platform meeting notes, there will be a chemspill
>> release on Friday.
>>
>> "Firefox 18.0.1 (maintenance, not security-driven, desktop only)"
>>
>> <http://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/1264>
>>

> Can I ask why you feel the need to post this info?  I mean, I'm never
> sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for ANY software update.  When it
> happens, it happens.

Trying to avoid the SURPRISE!, for readers of this group.

I don't think anyone is sitting on the edge of their seat waiting for a
chemspill release of Forefox, and I guess it won't avoid the complaints.

I'm in the crowd that wishes they would get it right with the release.

In the future I will try to keep the PSA's to a minimum, in the group
dedicated to the general discussion of Mozilla products, which nobody
wants to discuss.

--
Fedora 17 (64-bit) KDE 4.9.5
Thunderbird Release
The "Not Me" gremlin installed it.
Yeah, Right!

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

s|b-2
On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 12:46:21 -0800, [hidden email] wrote:

> Can I ask why you feel the need to post this info?  I mean, I'm never
> sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for ANY software update.  When it
> happens, it happens.

Well, I for one want to know it NOW, /before/ it happens, so thank you
WaltS!

--
s|b

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 1/16/2013 12:46 PM:

> On 1/16/2013 5:29 AM On a whim, WaltS pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> Perusing the Mozilla Platform meeting notes, there will be a chemspill
>> release on Friday.
>>
>> "Firefox 18.0.1 (maintenance, not security-driven, desktop only)"
>>
>> <http://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/1264>
>
> Can I ask why you feel the need to post this info?  I mean, I'm never
> sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for ANY software update.  When it
> happens, it happens.

I find it useful.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://www.projectit.com/

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

David E. Ross-3
On 1/16/13 5:29 AM, WaltS wrote:
> Perusing the Mozilla Platform meeting notes, there will be a chemspill
> release on Friday.
>
> "Firefox 18.0.1 (maintenance, not security-driven, desktop only)"
>
> <http://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/1264>

The announcement appears here because those who control
mozilla.support.firefox refuse to allow such announcements in that
newsgroup.  There is a similar prohibition regarding new versions of
Thunderbird in mozilla.support.thunderbird.

Fortunately, no such prohibition exists yet for mozilla.support.seamonkey.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Are taxes too high in the U.S.?  Check the bar graph
at <http://www.rossde.com/taxes/trickling.html> to see.

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

F1Com
On 1/16/2013 1:37 PM On a whim, s|b pounded out on the keyboard

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 12:46:21 -0800, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Can I ask why you feel the need to post this info?  I mean, I'm never
>> sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for ANY software update.  When it
>> happens, it happens.
>
> Well, I for one want to know it NOW, /before/ it happens, so thank you
> WaltS!

So look on their site maybe?

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

F1Com
On 1/16/2013 3:33 PM On a whim, David E. Ross pounded out on the keyboard

> On 1/16/13 5:29 AM, WaltS wrote:
>> Perusing the Mozilla Platform meeting notes, there will be a chemspill
>> release on Friday.
>>
>> "Firefox 18.0.1 (maintenance, not security-driven, desktop only)"
>>
>> <http://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/1264>
>>

> The announcement appears here because those who control
> mozilla.support.firefox refuse to allow such announcements in that
> newsgroup.  There is a similar prohibition regarding new versions of
> Thunderbird in mozilla.support.thunderbird.
>
> Fortunately, no such prohibition exists yet for mozilla.support.seamonkey.

It's just that Mozilla posts the info on their site, and IF anyone
wanted to know about, it's there.

Walt obviously can continue posting them, although I personally don't
see a need.  But I wouldn't delete the posts either. ;-)

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

Ron Hunter
On 1/16/2013 3:29 PM, WaltS wrote:

>> On 1/16/2013 5:29 AM On a whim, WaltS pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> Perusing the Mozilla Platform meeting notes, there will be a chemspill
>>> release on Friday.
>>>
>>> "Firefox 18.0.1 (maintenance, not security-driven, desktop only)"
>>>
>>> <http://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/1264>
>>>

>> Can I ask why you feel the need to post this info?  I mean, I'm never
>> sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for ANY software update.  When it
>> happens, it happens.
>>

> Trying to avoid the SURPRISE!, for readers of this group.
>
> I don't think anyone is sitting on the edge of their seat waiting for a
> chemspill release of Forefox, and I guess it won't avoid the complaints.
>
> I'm in the crowd that wishes they would get it right with the release.
>
> In the future I will try to keep the PSA's to a minimum, in the group
> dedicated to the general discussion of Mozilla products, which nobody
> wants to discuss.

This is 'general'.  We can discuss what we wish.  If you want targeted
groups, there are plenty of them.  Find one you like.

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

Ron Hunter
On 1/16/2013 3:37 PM, s|b wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 12:46:21 -0800, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Can I ask why you feel the need to post this info?  I mean, I'm never
>> sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for ANY software update.  When it
>> happens, it happens.
>
> Well, I for one want to know it NOW, /before/ it happens, so thank you
> WaltS!

Some of us have automatic updates turned off, and would like to know
when a new release becomes available so we can decide if we want to
install it.

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

WaltS-3
On 01/16/2013 07:57 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 1/16/2013 3:33 PM On a whim, David E. Ross pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> On 1/16/13 5:29 AM, WaltS wrote:
>>> Perusing the Mozilla Platform meeting notes, there will be a chemspill
>>> release on Friday.
>>>
>>> "Firefox 18.0.1 (maintenance, not security-driven, desktop only)"
>>>
>>> <http://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/1264>
>>>

>> The announcement appears here because those who control
>> mozilla.support.firefox refuse to allow such announcements in that
>> newsgroup.  There is a similar prohibition regarding new versions of
>> Thunderbird in mozilla.support.thunderbird.
>>
>> Fortunately, no such prohibition exists yet for mozilla.support.seamonkey.
>>

> It's just that Mozilla posts the info on their site, and IF anyone
> wanted to know about, it's there.

Can you post a link to that information? I only read about it in the
Meeting Notes from yesterday's meeting this morning.

What about the users that will be surprised when their Firefox starts
updating on Friday?

On 1/16/2013 6:57 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 1/16/2013 3:33 PM On a whim, David E. Ross pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> On 1/16/13 5:29 AM, WaltS wrote:
>>> Perusing the Mozilla Platform meeting notes, there will be a chemspill
>>> release on Friday.
>>>
>>> "Firefox 18.0.1 (maintenance, not security-driven, desktop only)"
>>>
>>> <http://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/1264>
>>>

>> The announcement appears here because those who control
>> mozilla.support.firefox refuse to allow such announcements in that
>> newsgroup.  There is a similar prohibition regarding new versions of
>> Thunderbird in mozilla.support.thunderbird.
>>
>> Fortunately, no such prohibition exists yet for
>> mozilla.support.seamonkey.
>>

> It's just that Mozilla posts the info on their site, and IF anyone
> wanted to know about, it's there.
>
> Walt obviously can continue posting them, although I personally don't
> see a need.  But I wouldn't delete the posts either. ;-)

ChrisI would.  Grin.

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

😉 Good Guy 😉
On 16/01/2013 20:46, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 1/16/2013 5:29 AM On a whim, WaltS pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> Perusing the Mozilla Platform meeting notes, there will be a chemspill
>> release on Friday.
>>
>> "Firefox 18.0.1 (maintenance, not security-driven, desktop only)"
>>
>> <http://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/1264>
>>

> Can I ask why you feel the need to post this info?  I mean, I'm never
> sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for ANY software update.  When
> it happens, it happens.

It could be because it is on a Friday and not the usual Tuesdays!!

--
Good Guy
Website: http://mytaxsite.co.uk

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

responder-2
On 1/16/2013 4:29 PM, WaltS wrote:

>> On 1/16/2013 5:29 AM On a whim, WaltS pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> Perusing the Mozilla Platform meeting notes, there will be a chemspill
>>> release on Friday.
>>>
>>> "Firefox 18.0.1 (maintenance, not security-driven, desktop only)"
>>>
>>> <http://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/1264>
>>>

>> Can I ask why you feel the need to post this info?  I mean, I'm never
>> sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for ANY software update.  When it
>> happens, it happens.
>>

> Trying to avoid the SURPRISE!, for readers of this group.
>
> I don't think anyone is sitting on the edge of their seat waiting for a
> chemspill release of Forefox, and I guess it won't avoid the complaints.
>
> I'm in the crowd that wishes they would get it right with the release.
>
> In the future I will try to keep the PSA's to a minimum, in the group
> dedicated to the general discussion of Mozilla products, which nobody
> wants to discuss.

I personally appreciate those notices that you post . Thank you.

There's enough other crap posted in this Mozilla.general group, that a
simple heads up for those of us who are interested won't break the bank.

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

Ant-21
On 1/16/2013 12:46 PM PT, [hidden email] typed:

>> <http://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/1264>
>
> Can I ask why you feel the need to post this info?  I mean, I'm never
> sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for ANY software update.  When it
> happens, it happens.

I'd like to know in advance about upcoming updates and changes. :)
--
"Now I have you where I want you... where is my jar of Bull ants?" --unknown
    /\___/\         Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
   / /\ /\ \                Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
  | |o   o| |
     \ _ /        If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
      ( )         If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

Daniel-257
Ant wrote:

> Thanks. Will there be a SeaMonkey v2.15.1 with these fixes too?
>

> On 1/16/2013 5:29 AM PT, WaltS typed:
>
>> Perusing the Mozilla Platform meeting notes, there will be a chemspill
>> release on Friday.
>>
>> "Firefox 18.0.1 (maintenance, not security-driven, desktop only)"
>>
>> <http://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/1264>

I thought these "chemspills" were going to occur, first and foremost,
when there was a security problem!! i.e. other "fixes" can be included
when there was a security fix but not on their own!!

--
Daniel

Happy New Year and may 2013 be better for you than 2012 was!!

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

Jay Garcia
On 16.01.2013 14:46, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 1/16/2013 5:29 AM On a whim, WaltS pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> Perusing the Mozilla Platform meeting notes, there will be a chemspill
>> release on Friday.
>>
>> "Firefox 18.0.1 (maintenance, not security-driven, desktop only)"
>>
>> <http://blog.mozilla.org/meeting-notes/archives/1264>
>>

> Can I ask why you feel the need to post this info?  I mean, I'm never
> sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for ANY software update.  When it
> happens, it happens.

From where I sit - square in the middle of the seat, if possible - I
relay this info to my support users that are considering moving up from
17 to 18 and to wait for .01 Friday instead of moving up now. YMMV

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

Was Greywolf
On 1/16/2013 8:10 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 1/16/2013 3:37 PM, s|b wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 12:46:21 -0800, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Can I ask why you feel the need to post this info?  I mean, I'm never
>>> sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for ANY software update.  When it
>>> happens, it happens.
>>
>> Well, I for one want to know it NOW, /before/ it happens, so thank you
>> WaltS!
>>

> Some of us have automatic updates turned off, and would like to know
> when a new release becomes available so we can decide if we want to
> install it.

+1, with bells on.

--
Best,
Wolf K.

Re: Firefox 18.0.1 due Friday

David E. Ross-3
On 1/16/13 5:10 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 1/16/2013 3:37 PM, s|b wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 12:46:21 -0800, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Can I ask why you feel the need to post this info?  I mean, I'm never
>>> sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for ANY software update.  When it
>>> happens, it happens.
>>
>> Well, I for one want to know it NOW, /before/ it happens, so thank you
>> WaltS!
>>

> Some of us have automatic updates turned off, and would like to know
> when a new release becomes available so we can decide if we want to
> install it.

The problem is that a serious user of the Internet might want to
schedule an update for when it is convenient for him or her, not for
when some server determines "Now is the time."  There can be several
reasons for this:

*  I am doing some critical financial transaction via the Web.  The
transaction has a deadline.  I cannot afford to have the transaction
interrupted or (worse) terminated while my browser is updated.  (This
applies not only to updating my browser but also to updating any of its
plugins.)

*  I am downloading a very large data file.  Even with broadband, it is
taking time.  I do not want it delayed while the update for an
application steals bandwidth to download.

*  My ISP caps my download bandwidth.  I am near the maximum allowed.  I
want to defer downloading any application updates until next month.

*  My computer is doing computing!!  It is a long-running task that
cannot be interrupted.  Thus, I cannot accept any kind of software
update that requires rebooting.  (No, this does not apply to any
Gecko-based application.  It does apply to most Windows updates, some
anti-virus application updates, and recently to an Adobe Reader update.)