Firefox 17 stumbles

Barbara-46

I am using Firefox 17 (latest).  I had a hard time getting this to work in the first
place and haven't tried to upgrade yet.  Add-ons are FireFtp, Adblock plus which work
without problems.  I have Flash installed and it's working for YouTube videos and a
few others.

My question is whether or not there's a way to keep Firefox from choking up after
browsing several complicated web pages and/or websites?  Amazon.com is particularly
difficult.  Switching back and forth through pages eventually has Firefox just
spinning it's wheels and going nowhere.  Sometimes the computer CPU meter hits the
roof, sometimes not.  Shutting down Firefox and restarting does no good... it can't
even "connect" to my home page when this happens.

Only way to recover is to shut down the computer, shut down and reboot my unique
city-municipal wifi service amplifier which more or less acts as a router.  Upon
restart, Firefox is happy until it gets stuck again.

I suspect the answer will be "It's the web page", asking for or demanding something
Firefox 17 is not capable of doing.  It doesn't really crash, but it's like it's hung
and can't quit trying.

Is Firefox 24 any better in this respect?

--
Barbara

Re: Firefox 17 stumbles

Dave Yeo-3
Hi Barb,

Barbara wrote:

> I am using Firefox 17 (latest).  I had a hard time getting this to work in the first
> place and haven't tried to upgrade yet.  Add-ons are FireFtp, Adblock plus which work
> without problems.  I have Flash installed and it's working for YouTube videos and a
> few others.
>
> My question is whether or not there's a way to keep Firefox from choking up after
> browsing several complicated web pages and/or websites?  Amazon.com is particularly
> difficult.  Switching back and forth through pages eventually has Firefox just
> spinning it's wheels and going nowhere.  Sometimes the computer CPU meter hits the
> roof, sometimes not.  Shutting down Firefox and restarting does no good... it can't
> even "connect" to my home page when this happens.
>
> Only way to recover is to shut down the computer, shut down and reboot my unique
> city-municipal wifi service amplifier which more or less acts as a router.  Upon
> restart, Firefox is happy until it gets stuck again.
>
> I suspect the answer will be "It's the web page", asking for or demanding something
> Firefox 17 is not capable of doing.  It doesn't really crash, but it's like it's hung
> and can't quit trying.

Having to restart your router points to a problem besides Firefox though
FF may be making it worse by doing lots of pre-fetching or such.
First have you fixed x:\mptn\etc\INETCFG.INI by changing the line that
starts with mtudiscover to
mtudiscover     1       1       0       1       TCP Path MTU Discovery
ON/OFF
(note line wrap above), the important one is changing the first number
from zero to one. May need a reboot to take affect.
It may also be an issue of running out of sockets, there are programs to
clean these up but I forget their name[s]. Running netstat -s at a cmd
line will show open sockets, might need to pipe it through less or more,
netstat -s | more and see if huge number are open when the problem happens.
Flash of course is funky, you could try the HTML5 video option at
youtube to bypass Flash (doesn't currently work well with FF24 due to
broken sound)

> Is Firefox 24 any better in this respect?

You'd have to test. It is better in many respects and has much the same
dependencies so you should be able to install it in a different
directory and test. Shouldn't be any problem with switching back and
forth besides the check for compatible add-ons as long as you have your
profile out of tree. (MOZILLA_HOME set)
Dave

Re: Firefox 17 stumbles

Barbara-46
On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 17:06:24 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Barb,
>

> Having to restart your router points to a problem besides Firefox though
> FF may be making it worse by doing lots of pre-fetching or such.
> First have you fixed x:\mptn\etc\INETCFG.INI by changing the line that
> starts with mtudiscover to
> mtudiscover     1       1       0       1       TCP Path MTU Discovery
> ON/OFF
> (note line wrap above), the important one is changing the first number
> from zero to one. May need a reboot to take affect.

I had not made that change, and it seems to really help.  At least I can't completely
hang the system.  Amazon is still the worst!  After making the INETCFG.INI change, I
went to Amazon, searched for "2014 clearance sales", then clicked on "Today's Deals",
then searched for "Laser Printers".  That almost locked up Firefox with the CPU meter
reading 99.9%.  (That's where it used to totally hang..)  But now I can back out and
see CPU return to normal and go on to other "normal" websites.  That's a big
improvement.

> It may also be an issue of running out of sockets, there are programs to
> clean these up but I forget their name[s]. Running netstat -s at a cmd
> line will show open sockets, might need to pipe it through less or more,
> netstat -s | more and see if huge number are open when the problem happens.

I don't have a clue how to read the netstat sockets information, but I can tell you
it was all over the map during my experiments.  When I first started Firefox AF_INET
Address Family, Total number of sockets was 5.  When Amazon was slowing everything
down, sockets numbered 28.  When it recovered, got out of Amazon, sockets were 78,
then later, still having Firefox act normal on regular websites, sockets had returned
to 34.   <whine... Amazon didn't act like that in the past... They've obviously made
some "improvements"...>

> Flash of course is funky, you could try the HTML5 video option at
> youtube to bypass Flash (doesn't currently work well with FF24 due to
> broken sound)

This doesn't bother me much at all.  I know how to install FF24 and get back to FF17
if I decide to try it, therefore may do that at some time.

As usual, Thanks Dave!  You're the BEST!

--
Barbara

Re: Firefox 17 stumbles

Dave Yeo-3
On 12/27/14 10:40 AM, Barbara wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 17:06:24 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Barb,
>>

>> Having to restart your router points to a problem besides Firefox though
>> FF may be making it worse by doing lots of pre-fetching or such.
>> First have you fixed x:\mptn\etc\INETCFG.INI by changing the line that
>> starts with mtudiscover to
>> mtudiscover     1       1       0       1       TCP Path MTU Discovery
>> ON/OFF
>> (note line wrap above), the important one is changing the first number
>> from zero to one. May need a reboot to take affect.
>
> I had not made that change, and it seems to really help.  At least I can't completely
> hang the system.  Amazon is still the worst!  After making the INETCFG.INI change, I
> went to Amazon, searched for "2014 clearance sales", then clicked on "Today's Deals",
> then searched for "Laser Printers".  That almost locked up Firefox with the CPU meter
> reading 99.9%.  (That's where it used to totally hang..)  But now I can back out and
> see CPU return to normal and go on to other "normal" websites.  That's a big
> improvement.

That's good. Why Mensys changed the default I don't know (guess I should
file a bug) but quite a few people have had similar problems, usually
due to the router.
FF 24 would probably help the 100% CPU, for some reason 17 is a pig when
it comes to JavaScript.

>> It may also be an issue of running out of sockets, there are programs to
>> clean these up but I forget their name[s]. Running netstat -s at a cmd
>> line will show open sockets, might need to pipe it through less or more,
>> netstat -s | more and see if huge number are open when the problem happens.
>
> I don't have a clue how to read the netstat sockets information, but I can tell you
> it was all over the map during my experiments.  When I first started Firefox AF_INET
> Address Family, Total number of sockets was 5.  When Amazon was slowing everything
> down, sockets numbered 28.  When it recovered, got out of Amazon, sockets were 78,
> then later, still having Firefox act normal on regular websites, sockets had returned
> to 34.   <whine... Amazon didn't act like that in the past... They've obviously made
> some "improvements"...>

The numbers sound fine, there's something like 64K available.

>> Flash of course is funky, you could try the HTML5 video option at
>> youtube to bypass Flash (doesn't currently work well with FF24 due to
>> broken sound)
>
> This doesn't bother me much at all.  I know how to install FF24 and get back to FF17
> if I decide to try it, therefore may do that at some time.
>
> As usual, Thanks Dave!  You're the BEST!

Have a good new year
Dave

Re: Firefox 17 stumbles

Dave Saville-7
On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 14:03:53 UTC, "Barbara"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is Firefox 24 any better in this respect?

No - same problem.
--
Regards
Dave Saville

Re: Firefox 17 stumbles

kbr_nospam_
In <[hidden email]>, on 12/28/14
   at 03:20 AM, "Dave Saville" <[hidden email]> said:

>On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 14:03:53 UTC, "Barbara"
><[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Is Firefox 24 any better in this respect?
>>

>No - same problem.

I have had the same problems as Barbara, and here setting mtudiscover to 1
helped markedly. There is still a problem with FF24 hugging the cpu and
'freezing' the system temporarily with an hourglass showing, probably due
to javascript because it happens on certain webpages. I also still see
connection problems after FF has been up for about 20 to 24 hours, then
https connections  will not be made. Other connectios still function. The
latter is likely not and FF issue but ssl related. FF24 does perform
better here with javascript than FF17 did, at least it takes longer for
the cpu hugging to start.

Cheers, Bjorn.