Firefox 17.0.11 tale

Barbara-46
Hi Browsergeeks,

Since things are rather quiet here, I thought I'd relate my latest
attempt to get firefox-17.0.11esr.en-US.os2.zip (or .wpi) working.
I had tried with 17.0.5 and with 17.0.11 with no success until today.

Giving up on my main system which still runs Firefox version 10.11,
from a drawer I dragged out a 9 year old T42 thinkpad and installed
eCS 2.2 beta. (Worked great except for the genmac wrapper for the
gigabit nic. Once that was replaced with the IBM gigabit for OS/2 nic
driver all was well.)

So once 2.2 beta Firefox 10.12esr was working and I could get online,
I thought what the heck, I'll try to install Firefox 17.0.11. Feeling
I had nothing to lose on the T42, I used the wpi version knowing it
would wipe out version 10.12esr.

It appeared to install OK, but upon trying to start it, the dreaded
black command prompt window opened telling me it would never start
(can't remember the exact error report) unless I went out and found
STDCPP6. Huh? First I'd heard of this dll since it isn't talked about
a whole lot in terms of dependencies for FF17. So I got online with
the other computer and looked for it.

I ended up here:

https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/blob/master/widget/os2/REA
DME.OS2

I don't know where I've been, but I'd never read this before.
Reading down, I discovered:

6. INSTALL 'gcc473.dll' and 'stdcpp6.dll' from
      http://rpm.netlabs.org/release/00/zip/gcc-4_7_3_1-1_oc00.zip.
      If you use WarpIn, you may install a WPI from
      ftp.netlabs.org/pub/gcc/gcc4core-1_2_2.wpi.
      If you use RPM/YUM, just run:
      'yum install libgcc473 libstdc++' from the command line.

I thought all that was for Firefox 24.  But with nothing to lose on
the T42 (again), I went out and got the gcc4core-1_2_2.wpi package
which happens to include the elusive STDCPP6 thing as well as gcc473
plus a whole bunch of other gccs I already had but I assume got
overwritten.

It worked!  I finally got a stable, bootable Firefox version 17!  I
immediately tried this on my main computer which runs eCS 2.0GA
still.  It worked too!!  Whoopee!

On the T42 eCS 2.2 beta with a brand new profile, no addons, no
bookmarks FF17 loads instantly and goes to any site I've tried so
far.

On my main eCS 2.0GA computer, it takes about 20 seconds to load
using my old profile which includes about a zillion bookmarks and a
couple of serious addons such as AdBlock and FireFtp. After loading,
it works as expected and it's quite zippy.

I'm sure everyone here already knows all this, but I had to learn it
the hard way. I guess if I have a question it would be since all
other dependencies had been installed "Why am I the only person who
needed STDCPP6.DLL to get FF17 working". I haven't seen anybody else
whining about that.

--
Barbara

Re: Firefox 17.0.11 tale

Dave Yeo-3
Barbara wrote:

> Hi Browsergeeks,
>
> Since things are rather quiet here, I thought I'd relate my latest
> attempt to get firefox-17.0.11esr.en-US.os2.zip (or .wpi) working.
> I had tried with 17.0.5 and with 17.0.11 with no success until today.
>
> Giving up on my main system which still runs Firefox version 10.11,
> from a drawer I dragged out a 9 year old T42 thinkpad and installed
> eCS 2.2 beta. (Worked great except for the genmac wrapper for the
> gigabit nic. Once that was replaced with the IBM gigabit for OS/2 nic
> driver all was well.)
>
> So once 2.2 beta Firefox 10.12esr was working and I could get online,
> I thought what the heck, I'll try to install Firefox 17.0.11. Feeling
> I had nothing to lose on the T42, I used the wpi version knowing it
> would wipe out version 10.12esr.
>
> It appeared to install OK, but upon trying to start it, the dreaded
> black command prompt window opened telling me it would never start
> (can't remember the exact error report) unless I went out and found
> STDCPP6. Huh? First I'd heard of this dll since it isn't talked about
> a whole lot in terms of dependencies for FF17. So I got online with
> the other computer and looked for it.
>
> I ended up here:
>
> https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/blob/master/widget/os2/REA
> DME.OS2
>
> I don't know where I've been, but I'd never read this before.
> Reading down, I discovered:
>
> 6. INSTALL 'gcc473.dll' and 'stdcpp6.dll' from
>        http://rpm.netlabs.org/release/00/zip/gcc-4_7_3_1-1_oc00.zip.
>        If you use WarpIn, you may install a WPI from
>        ftp.netlabs.org/pub/gcc/gcc4core-1_2_2.wpi.
>        If you use RPM/YUM, just run:
>        'yum install libgcc473 libstdc++' from the command line.
>
> I thought all that was for Firefox 24.  But with nothing to lose on
> the T42 (again), I went out and got the gcc4core-1_2_2.wpi package
> which happens to include the elusive STDCPP6 thing as well as gcc473
> plus a whole bunch of other gccs I already had but I assume got
> overwritten.
>
> It worked!  I finally got a stable, bootable Firefox version 17!  I
> immediately tried this on my main computer which runs eCS 2.0GA
> still.  It worked too!!  Whoopee!
>
> On the T42 eCS 2.2 beta with a brand new profile, no addons, no
> bookmarks FF17 loads instantly and goes to any site I've tried so
> far.
>
> On my main eCS 2.0GA computer, it takes about 20 seconds to load
> using my old profile which includes about a zillion bookmarks and a
> couple of serious addons such as AdBlock and FireFtp. After loading,
> it works as expected and it's quite zippy.
>
> I'm sure everyone here already knows all this, but I had to learn it
> the hard way. I guess if I have a question it would be since all
> other dependencies had been installed "Why am I the only person who
> needed STDCPP6.DLL to get FF17 working". I haven't seen anybody else
> whining about that.

I've had private messages about STDCPP6, luckily one of the fixes I
backported from 24ESR is the fix to properly display the missing DLL name.
Where and how the dependency showed up I'm not sure and didn't even
originally realize it was a dependency as I'm using mostly the same
environment to build 17ESR as 10ESR, just added the RPM library
directory (k:\usr\lib) to the library search path and added linking
pthread and mmap.
There are also dependencies on GCC473.dll as pthrd0.dll is built with it
and GCC444.dll for mmap. Most of these I uploaded to Hobbes as
moz_required_dlls_v1.zip.
Excepting speed the binaries built on the 17.0.11 codebase seem to work
quite nice, I do find them slow on my crappy box.
Hopefully I'll upload the SeaMonkey and Thunderbird builds this weekend
and then attempt to get 24ESR building here.
Dave
ps sorry for the branding, I wanted to differentiate from the Bitwise
builds. It is based on the latest 17ESR code

Re: Firefox 17.0.11 tale

Andreas Buchinger
Dave Yeo schrieb:
> Excepting speed the binaries built on the 17.0.11 codebase seem to work
> quite nice, I do find them slow on my crappy box.
> Hopefully I'll upload the SeaMonkey and Thunderbird builds this weekend
Your SM 2.14 works stable here. But seems to be rather slow compared to
2.7.2 I used before.

And PMDownloader plugin does not work anymore.

Will be glad to test a new SM.

Thank you and Bitwise for your work

Andi

Re: Firefox 17.0.11 tale

Barbara-46
On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 01:53:18 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I've had private messages about STDCPP6, luckily one of the fixes I
> backported from 24ESR is the fix to properly display the missing DLL name.

Dave, there's nothing for you to be sorry about.  Had it not displayed
the missing dll, I'd still be sitting here wondering why FF17 didn't
work no matter what I did.

Thanks again for all your hard work!!!

--
Barbara

Re: Firefox 17.0.11 tale

Dave Yeo-3
On 06/20/14 03:49 AM, Andreas Buchinger wrote:
> Dave Yeo schrieb:
>> Excepting speed the binaries built on the 17.0.11 codebase seem to work
>> quite nice, I do find them slow on my crappy box.
>> Hopefully I'll upload the SeaMonkey and Thunderbird builds this weekend
> Your SM 2.14 works stable here. But seems to be rather slow compared to
> 2.7.2 I used before.
>
> And PMDownloader plugin does not work anymore.

Did it work with 17.0.5? There are still issues with the updated plugin
code and IPC. I changed the config entry that disabled flash from using
IPC to generally disabling IPC for plugins, "dom.ipc.plugins.enabled"
false in about:config. You could try toggling it.

Dave