Firefox 13 Release Notes

1234 ... 7

Firefox 13 Release Notes

Sailfish-2
REF: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/13.0/releasenotes/

[excerpt quote="
Check out what’s new and known issues for this version of Firefox below
" /]

Planned availability the first week of June.

I like the New Tab content feature.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

RAV-2
On 5/30/2012 4:19 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/13.0/releasenotes/
>
> [excerpt quote="
> Check out what’s new and known issues for this version of Firefox below
> " /]
>
> Planned availability the first week of June.
>
> I like the New Tab content feature.

Re "When opening a new tab, users are now presented with their most
visited pages."  Does this mean that whenever I press Ctrl+T that
instead of getting a blank page, I will be presented with a list of my
most visited pages?  I hope there will be a way to turn that off.

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Rav graced us with on 5/30/2012
1:29 PM:

> On 5/30/2012 4:19 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/13.0/releasenotes/
>>
>> [excerpt quote="
>> Check out what’s new and known issues for this version of Firefox below
>> " /]
>>
>> Planned availability the first week of June.
>>
>> I like the New Tab content feature.
>
> Re "When opening a new tab, users are now presented with their most
> visited pages."  Does this mean that whenever I press Ctrl+T that
> instead of getting a blank page, I will be presented with a list of my
> most visited pages?

Yes

> I hope there will be a way to turn that off.

Setting the preference "browser.newtabpage.enabled" to false via
about:config seems to do the trick.

On 5/30/2012 4:54 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Rav graced us with on 5/30/2012
> 1:29 PM:
>> On 5/30/2012 4:19 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/13.0/releasenotes/
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> Check out what’s new and known issues for this version of Firefox below
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> Planned availability the first week of June.
>>>
>>> I like the New Tab content feature.
>>
>> Re "When opening a new tab, users are now presented with their most
>> visited pages." Does this mean that whenever I press Ctrl+T that
>> instead of getting a blank page, I will be presented with a list of my
>> most visited pages?
>
> Yes
>
>> I hope there will be a way to turn that off.
>
> Setting the preference "browser.newtabpage.enabled" to false via
> about:config seems to do the trick.

Thanks.

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

Ron Hunter
On 5/30/2012 3:19 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/13.0/releasenotes/
>
> [excerpt quote="
> Check out what’s new and known issues for this version of Firefox below
> " /]
>
> Planned availability the first week of June.
>
> I like the New Tab content feature.

I doubt I would use it, but I can't seem to make it work.  Maybe on the
new beta (6) that I got today....

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

Ron Hunter
On 5/30/2012 3:29 PM, Rav wrote:

> On 5/30/2012 4:19 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/13.0/releasenotes/
>>
>> [excerpt quote="
>> Check out what’s new and known issues for this version of Firefox below
>> " /]
>>
>> Planned availability the first week of June.
>>
>> I like the New Tab content feature.
>>

> Re "When opening a new tab, users are now presented with their most
> visited pages."  Does this mean that whenever I press Ctrl+T that
> instead of getting a blank page, I will be presented with a list of my
> most visited pages?  I hope there will be a way to turn that off.

Well, it presented me with sites I hadn't visited in years...  Just the
url at the bottom of a box for each site.  No data.  Will try the new one.

Nope, still nothing in the boxes but a URL.  More than half of the boxes
had URLs I have not visited in months.

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

Sailfish-2
5/30/2012 2:02 PM:

> On 5/30/2012 3:19 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/13.0/releasenotes/
>>
>> [excerpt quote="
>> Check out what’s new and known issues for this version of Firefox below
>> " /]
>>
>> Planned availability the first week of June.
>>
>> I like the New Tab content feature.
>>
> I doubt I would use it, but I can't seem to make it work.  Maybe on the
> new beta (6) that I got today....

Ctrl+t worked on b15 and b16 for me.

Dunno.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

F1Com
On 5/30/2012 1:19 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> REF: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/13.0/releasenotes/
>
> [excerpt quote="
> Check out what’s new and known issues for this version of Firefox below
> " /]
>
> Planned availability the first week of June.
>
> I like the New Tab content feature.

Chrome has had it for so long I can't remember when...

Terry

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 5/30/2012 3:06 PM:

> On 5/30/2012 1:19 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> REF: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/13.0/releasenotes/
>>
>> [excerpt quote="
>> Check out what’s new and known issues for this version of Firefox below
>> " /]
>>
>> Planned availability the first week of June.
>>
>> I like the New Tab content feature.
>
> Chrome has had it for so long I can't remember when...

Does Chrome allow it to be disabled too?

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

WaltS-3
On 05/30/2012 04:57 PM, Rav wrote:

> On 5/30/2012 4:54 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Rav graced us with on 5/30/2012
>> 1:29 PM:

>>> Re "When opening a new tab, users are now presented with their most
>>> visited pages." Does this mean that whenever I press Ctrl+T that
>>> instead of getting a blank page, I will be presented with a list of my
>>> most visited pages?
>>
>> Yes
>>
>>> I hope there will be a way to turn that off.
>>
>> Setting the preference "browser.newtabpage.enabled" to false via
>> about:config seems to do the trick.
>>

> Thanks.

It also can be disabled by opening a new tab, and clicking the little
checkerboard looking deal in the upper right corner.

The average user doesn't know about, about:config.

--
Thunderbird (15.0a1) Daily | openSUSE 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2
I love the Australis look of TB 15!

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what WLS graced us with on 5/30/2012
3:12 PM:

> On 05/30/2012 04:57 PM, Rav wrote:
>> On 5/30/2012 4:54 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Rav graced us with on 5/30/2012
>>> 1:29 PM:

>>> Yes

>>> Setting the preference "browser.newtabpage.enabled" to false via
>>> about:config seems to do the trick.
>>>
>> Thanks.
>
> It also can be disabled by opening a new tab, and clicking the little
> checkerboard looking deal in the upper right corner.
>
> The average user doesn't know about, about:config.

ah, much easier :)

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

F1Com
On 5/30/2012 3:08 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
> with on 5/30/2012 3:06 PM:
>> On 5/30/2012 1:19 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> REF: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/13.0/releasenotes/
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote="
>>> Check out what’s new and known issues for this version of Firefox below
>>> " /]
>>>
>>> Planned availability the first week of June.
>>>
>>> I like the New Tab content feature.
>> Chrome has had it for so long I can't remember when...
>>
> Does Chrome allow it to be disabled too?

Yes.

Terry

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

WaltS-3
On 05/30/2012 04:19 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/13.0/releasenotes/
>
> [excerpt quote="
> Check out what’s new and known issues for this version of Firefox below
> " /]
>
> Planned availability the first week of June.
>
> I like the New Tab content feature.

I don't like the new tab feature, but can't switch to Chrome or Opera
because they both had it first. LOL!

In my Firefox Beta it only shows a box with the site name. In the
Nightly build I have thumbnails above the site name.

At least I can switch it off, or set Firefox to never remember history,
and nothing will show up in a new tab.

--
Thunderbird (15.0a1) Daily | openSUSE 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2
I love the Australis look of TB 15!
Can't wait for it to show up in Firefox.

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

PhillipJones
Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what WLS graced us with on 5/30/2012
> 3:12 PM:

>>> Thanks.
>>
>> It also can be disabled by opening a new tab, and clicking the little
>> checkerboard looking deal in the upper right corner.
>>
>> The average user doesn't know about, about:config.
>>
> ah, much easier :)

I'm not a fan of the new Print system they instituted they added two
more commands. And Problem That has been cured  in the past and has
raised it ugly head in Version 13.
remember the old problem of stuff being printed out the size of postage
stamp.
  one of the menus you have to check a Box to stop that.

https://skitch.com/pjonescet/87ist/file

Folks! Leave the Printer setup and adjustments to the damn print system,
of the OS!

Adobe in Acrobat has decide in version X to screw with the printer
system in order to print duplexed (2-sided) Documents you have to click
on document properties; then turn off simplex printing.

I could wring the neck of both individuals that did this tinkering, in
FireFox And Acrobat.

Printing should be entirely a process of the system not the application.
This is method MS does for office. The Printing is basically hands off.
once the job is sent to the printer, that's it. All adjustments for
paper size and percentage should be entirely set in page setup and Print
Menu only.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

WaltS-3
On 05/30/2012 08:57 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what WLS graced us with on 5/30/2012
>> 3:12 PM:

>>> It also can be disabled by opening a new tab, and clicking the little
>>> checkerboard looking deal in the upper right corner.
>>>
>>> The average user doesn't know about, about:config.
>>>
>> ah, much easier :)
>>

> I'm not a fan of the new Print system they instituted they added two
> more commands. And Problem That has been cured  in the past and has
> raised it ugly head in Version 13.
> remember the old problem of stuff being printed out the size of postage
> stamp.
>  one of the menus you have to check a Box to stop that.
>
> https://skitch.com/pjonescet/87ist/file

You mean there is a new undocumented feature in Firefox 13, and I don't
have it. I'm outraged!

That looks like the menu I see with the Print Edit extension installed
and enabled. If I disable the extension I only see Page Setup, Print
Preview, and Print.

Can't say I remember that old problem. Probably because I rarely print
anything.

> Folks! Leave the Printer setup and adjustments to the damn print system,
> of the OS!

Yeah! What's wrong with you folks.

> Adobe in Acrobat has decide in version X to screw with the printer
> system in order to print duplexed (2-sided) Documents you have to click
> on document properties; then turn off simplex printing.

I use the PDF Viewer extension, and don't have Acrobat installed. I use
Okular if I need to view a PDF in an application. Don't print those either.

<snip>

--
Thunderbird Beta | openSUSE 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

The Real Bev
On 05/30/2012 01:57 PM, Rav wrote:

> On 5/30/2012 4:54 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>  My bloviated meandering follows what Rav graced us with on 5/30/2012
>>  1:29 PM:

>>>  Re "When opening a new tab, users are now presented with their most
>>>  visited pages." Does this mean that whenever I press Ctrl+T that
>>>  instead of getting a blank page, I will be presented with a list of my
>>>  most visited pages?
>>
>>  Yes
>>
>>>  I hope there will be a way to turn that off.
>>
>>  Setting the preference "browser.newtabpage.enabled" to false via
>>  about:config seems to do the trick.
>
> Thanks.

I hope I remember this when I update.  Why do they keep inflicting stuff
on us that we might pay to NOT have? I'm sure I've mentioned my $700
throttle-control device that tried to kill me four times when it failed...

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

Sailfish-2
5/30/2012 10:41 PM:

> On 05/30/2012 01:57 PM, Rav wrote:
>
>> On 5/30/2012 4:54 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>>  My bloviated meandering follows what Rav graced us with on 5/30/2012
>>>  1:29 PM:

>>>  Yes

>>>  Setting the preference "browser.newtabpage.enabled" to false via
>>>  about:config seems to do the trick.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> I hope I remember this when I update.  Why do they keep inflicting stuff
> on us that we might pay to NOT have? I'm sure I've mentioned my $700
> throttle-control device that tried to kill me four times when it failed...

As was mentioned afterward, it's easily disabled by simply clicking a
small box on the top-right of the tab screen.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

Was Greywolf
On 31/05/2012 3:55 AM, Sailfish wrote:
[snip misc comments]
> As was mentioned afterward, it's easily disabled by simply clicking a
> small box on the top-right of the tab screen.

Yes, another example of "If you don't like what we've done, you can
easily change it, you only have to figure out which button or box or
menu item will do what you want."

Following this thread simply confirms my opinion that the FF developers
have still not understood how the market has changed. They persist in
GUI changes that will upset a large percentage of users, and (as others
have pointed out here and elsewhere) will drive some of them away.

Basically, an update should keep the existing preferences/settings. No
new feature should ever replace an existing setting without asking.
Surely, the update can pop up a settings box that explains the new
default and asks whether or not to activate it. Or place a New Features
button on the toolbar, so that the user can find out what they might
like to change. That simple courtesy would make FF different from all
other browsers (until MS etc copy it, that is.)

HTH,
Wolf K.

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

WaltS-3
On 05/31/2012 09:29 AM, Greywolf wrote:

> On 31/05/2012 3:55 AM, Sailfish wrote:
> [snip misc comments]
>> As was mentioned afterward, it's easily disabled by simply clicking a
>> small box on the top-right of the tab screen.
>
> Yes, another example of "If you don't like what we've done, you can
> easily change it, you only have to figure out which button or box or
> menu item will do what you want."
>
> Following this thread simply confirms my opinion that the FF developers
> have still not understood how the market has changed. They persist in
> GUI changes that will upset a large percentage of users, and (as others
> have pointed out here and elsewhere) will drive some of them away.
>
> Basically, an update should keep the existing preferences/settings. No
> new feature should ever replace an existing setting without asking.
> Surely, the update can pop up a settings box that explains the new
> default and asks whether or not to activate it. Or place a New Features
> button on the toolbar, so that the user can find out what they might
> like to change. That simple courtesy would make FF different from all
> other browsers (until MS etc copy it, that is.)
>
> HTH,
> Wolf K.

Still not as slick as Chrome's.

http://tinyurl.com/7wd9lbf

IE9 also has it.

http://tinyurl.com/7fxdxzy

I don't know if they can be deactivated or not.

--
Thunderbird (15.0a1) Daily | openSUSE 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2
I love the Australis look of TB 15!
Can't wait for it to show up in Firefox.

Re: Firefox 13 Release Notes

David Boles-2
On 5/31/2012 9:29 AM, Greywolf wrote:

> On 31/05/2012 3:55 AM, Sailfish wrote:
> [snip misc comments]
>> As was mentioned afterward, it's easily disabled by simply clicking a
>> small box on the top-right of the tab screen.
>
> Yes, another example of "If you don't like what we've done, you can
> easily change it, you only have to figure out which button or box or
> menu item will do what you want."
>
> Following this thread simply confirms my opinion that the FF developers
> have still not understood how the market has changed. They persist in
> GUI changes that will upset a large percentage of users, and (as others
> have pointed out here and elsewhere) will drive some of them away.
>
> Basically, an update should keep the existing preferences/settings. No
> new feature should ever replace an existing setting without asking.
> Surely, the update can pop up a settings box that explains the new
> default and asks whether or not to activate it. Or place a New Features
> button on the toolbar, so that the user can find out what they might
> like to change. That simple courtesy would make FF different from all
> other browsers (until MS etc copy it, that is.)

It's new!!!  It's different!!! I am afraid of change!!!.  <sigh>

--

  David

1234 ... 7