Firefox 10 crashes when I try to right click on a link and open the link in a new tab

Firefox 10 crashes when I try to right click on a link and open the link in a new tab

Karen Roberts
Prior to FF 10, I was usually able to right click on a link and select
"Open link in new tab", but now, as soon as I right click on a link, I
get a rather strange effect as if a bunch of smaller windows were being
opened on top and slightly offset from each other and then Firefox
crashes. If I just left click on the link, it opens fine, and opens in a
new tab if it was designed to do that. Has anyone see this or have a
suggestion as to what's causing it ? It has happened on both of the FF
10 versions I've tried, 10.0.2 and 10.0.4.

Thanks,
Karen Roberts

Re: Firefox 10 crashes when I try to right click on a link and open the link in a new tab

Dave Yeo-3
Karen Roberts wrote:

> Prior to FF 10, I was usually able to right click on a link and select
> "Open link in new tab", but now, as soon as I right click on a link, I
> get a rather strange effect as if a bunch of smaller windows were being
> opened on top and slightly offset from each other and then Firefox
> crashes. If I just left click on the link, it opens fine, and opens in a
> new tab if it was designed to do that. Has anyone see this or have a
> suggestion as to what's causing it ? It has happened on both of the FF
> 10 versions I've tried, 10.0.2 and 10.0.4.
>
> Thanks,
> Karen Roberts

It seems to be related to add-ons. You'll have to try disabling them all
and then reenabling them one by one until you find the culprit. It is
actually recursively slightly adjusting the size of the RMB context menu
until stack runs out and it crashes.
If you list your add-ons we might be able to spot a known culprit.
Dave

Re: Firefox 10 crashes when I try to right click on a link and open the link in a new tab

Steve Wendt
On 05/19/12 04:19 pm, Karen Roberts wrote:

> Prior to FF 10, I was usually able to right click on a link and select
> "Open link in new tab", but now, as soon as I right click on a link

A couple easy workarounds for this use case, which are more efficient
than using the right mouse button menu:

a) Middle-click the link
b) hold down the Ctrl button and left click the link

Re: Firefox 10 crashes when I try to right click on a link and open the link in a new tab

Karen Roberts
Thanks for the suggestions. I seem to have serendipitously fixed it as a
side effect of installing the Flash 11 update. Messing around with that
must have cleaned up the add-ons.

Regards,
Karen

On 05/19/12 06:45 pm, Karen Roberts wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions. I seem to have serendipitously fixed it as a
> side effect of installing the Flash 11 update. Messing around with that
> must have cleaned up the add-ons.

Unlikely... you'll probably see it again eventually.

Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 05/19/12 06:45 pm, Karen Roberts wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the suggestions. I seem to have serendipitously fixed it as a
>> side effect of installing the Flash 11 update. Messing around with that
>> must have cleaned up the add-ons.
>
> Unlikely... you'll probably see it again eventually.

It hasn't come back here since the experimental 10.04 where I tried to
fix it, even though that patch was backed out after.
Dave

Re: Firefox 10 crashes when I try to right click on a link and open the link in a new tab

Barbara-46
On Sun, 20 May 2012 01:45:44 UTC, Karen Roberts
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions. I seem to have serendipitously fixed it as a
> side effect of installing the Flash 11 update. Messing around with that
> must have cleaned up the add-ons.
>
> Regards,
> Karen
>
> Karen Roberts wrote:
> > Prior to FF 10, I was usually able to right click on a link and select
> > "Open link in new tab", but now, as soon as I right click on a link, I
> > get a rather strange effect as if a bunch of smaller windows were being
> > opened on top and slightly offset from each other and then Firefox
> > crashes. If I just left click on the link, it opens fine, and opens in a
> > new tab if it was designed to do that. Has anyone see this or have a
> > suggestion as to what's causing it ? It has happened on both of the FF
> > 10 versions I've tried, 10.0.2 and 10.0.4.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Karen Roberts

Where do you find Flash 11 update?  Or do you mean Flash 10 beta 2
which is
the latest one on Mensys.

--
Barbara

On 5/22/2012 5:22 PM, Barbara wrote:

> Where do you find Flash 11 update?  Or do you mean Flash 10 beta 2

The SVN project is still called 'flash10' but the "beta 2" build is for
Flash 11.1 (as was beta 1; the old "technical preview" versions were
Flash 10).

Re: Firefox 10 crashes when I try to right click on a link and open the link in a new tab

Barbara-46
On Wed, 23 May 2012 00:53:32 UTC, Steve Wendt <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 5/22/2012 5:22 PM, Barbara wrote:
>
> > Where do you find Flash 11 update?  Or do you mean Flash 10 beta 2
>
> The SVN project is still called 'flash10' but the "beta 2" build is for
> Flash 11.1 (as was beta 1; the old "technical preview" versions were
> Flash 10).

Dang!  I can't keep up.  Now that I looked closer I found a line in
the readme:

"With the new release of this Flash wrapper, up-to-date Flash support
for
eComStation is provided. Currently it includes Flash Player
11.1.102.55."

Mensys doesn't seem to believe in very wordy descriptions on their
download pages.

Thanks

--
Barbara

Re: Firefox 10 crashes when I try to right click on a link and open the link in a new tab

Karen Roberts
Hi Steve,

Yeah, it has happened again a few times, but not every single time as
was occurring before.

Dave had said there were some known culprits, here's what shows up in my
list.

Flashkiller 1.3
FxIF 0.4.5 (Disabled)
Generalized Bitmap Module Plugin 1.4.6.0
MPlayer for OS/2 1.0.0.1
Shockwave Flash 0.3.2.0 (Says "Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102" underneath)

Thanks,
Karen