Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5 setup localization (win32)

Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5 setup localization (win32)

K. an Drouizig
Hi all,

Sorry if this request has already been discussed on the list... but I did not find any similar request after a quick search on the Web.

I was wondering if there is a way to fully localise the Next/Previous/Cancel/Browse buttons of the Firefox & Thunderbird setup program.

I fully checked the install.ini file but the OK/CANCEL/NEXT/BACK tags do not seem to be taken into account by the setup.exe program.

Actually the issue is that a localized setup (for example the French one) will display English buttons when installed on an English Windows box. More sorely, for languages which are not supported yet by Microsoft, these buttons won't ever be displayed in their correct way.

Is there a way to change that ?

Thank you,
O. Loussouarn

Re: Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5 setup localization (win32)

Axel Hecht
K. an Drouizig wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry if this request has already been discussed on the list... but I did not find any similar request after a quick search on the Web.
>
> I was wondering if there is a way to fully localise the Next/Previous/Cancel/Browse buttons of the Firefox & Thunderbird setup program.
>
> I fully checked the install.ini file but the OK/CANCEL/NEXT/BACK tags do not seem to be taken into account by the setup.exe program.
>
> Actually the issue is that a localized setup (for example the French one) will display English buttons when installed on an English Windows box. More sorely, for languages which are not supported yet by Microsoft, these buttons won't ever be displayed in their correct way.
>
> Is there a way to change that ?

No, those are system dialogs and thus come in the system locale.

I would even consider it a feature, though, I admit, it looks a bit odd
at times. But having a new button label that you don't expect there from
your OS may look just as odd.

Axel

Re: Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5 setup localization (win32)

K. an Drouizig
Hi Alex,

> No, those are system dialogs and thus come in the system locale.

I agree. Like the Open File box, the font or the color pickup boxes,
on some programs, these resources are coming from the Windows system and so
show in the Windows System language.

> I would even consider it a feature, though, I admit, it looks a bit odd
> at times. But having a new button label that you don't expect there from
> your OS may look just as odd.

In fact no more that 5 buttons are concerned here. To solve/workaround the issue,
at least for languages which are not supported by Microsoft (or supported for some versions only,
Welsh is only supported on Windows XP SP2 for example) we could imagine a boolean flag
in the install.ini file (forceButtonsl10n, set as FALSE by default,
or put as TRUE if we wish to force the renaming of the text of these buttons.

In fact most of these buttons are already localized in the [General] section
(tags OK/OK_/CANCEL/CANCEL_/NEXT_/BACK_/BROWSE_, one or two may be missing,
FINISH for example) so most of the job is already done for the translators.

Just my 2cents of euros,
Olivier