Firefox 1.5 Extensions XPI Install.js logComment confirm not working

Firefox 1.5 Extensions XPI Install.js logComment confirm not working

gmgj
Firefox on XP pro built with free MSVC 8 and Firefox 1.5x on XP home
pre built downloaded

Do not see XPI install calls - logComment or- confirm calls working.
I need a few hints as to where to look.

I see these files looking for logComment

C:\moz\mozilla\xpinstall\src\nsInstall.cpp with this
void
nsInstall::LogComment(const nsAString& aComment)
{
  if(mListener)
    mListener->OnLogComment(PromiseFlatString(aComment).get());
}

C:\moz\mozilla\xpinstall\public\nsIXPINotifier.idl
C:\moz\mozilla\xpinstall\src\nsInstall.cpp
C:\moz\mozilla\xpinstall\wizard\windows\test\test1.js
C:\moz\mozilla\xpinstall\standalone\nsSimpleNotifier.cpp
C:\moz\mozilla\xpinstall\src\nsJSInstall.cpp
C:\moz\mozilla\xpinstall\src\nsInstallLogComment.cpp .. with this this

NS_IMETHODIMP
nsSimpleNotifier::LogComment(const PRUnichar *message)
{
    printf("**NOTE: %s\n",message);
}

My first SWAG is that the listener is not set up unless a "usual" pre
firefox new extension call is made.  With the new manifest thingy, the
old paths aren't taken.  I am not set up easily debug this, however, I
will help anyone looking to solve same issue

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XPInstall_API_Reference:Install_Object:Methods:confirm
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XPInstall_API_Reference:Install_Object:Methods:logComment

example calls

 logComment("before confirm and alert");
  var inProfile = confirm(WHEREMESSAGE);

..
the Install object is used primarily in installation scripts. In all
cases, the Install object is implicit--like the window object in
regular web page scripts--and needn't be prefixed to the object
methods. The following two lines, for example, are equivalent:

Re: Firefox 1.5 Extensions XPI Install.js logComment confirm not working

gmgj
It does not look like my install.js file is executed.  I removed it,
and my extension still installed.

Re: Firefox 1.5 Extensions XPI Install.js logComment confirm not working

gmgj
from anothe post.  guess I should have searched for install.js instead
of logComment or Confirm
>From MozillaZine extensions forum.

As noted by bkennelly, if install.rdf or chrome.manifest is included
then install.js is ignored in Firefox (others?), but in Mozilla Suite
(others?) install.js is required and install.rdf is ignored. That's the
reason for wanting to know what you want to install in and the files
being included.

Re: Firefox 1.5 Extensions XPI Install.js logComment confirm not working

Notatech-butprettygood

gmgj wrote:
> from anothe post.  guess I should have searched for install.js instead
> of logComment or Confirm
> >From MozillaZine extensions forum.
>
> As noted by bkennelly, if install.rdf or chrome.manifest is included
> then install.js is ignored in Firefox (others?), but in Mozilla Suite
> (others?) install.js is required and install.rdf is ignored. That's the
> reason for wanting to know what you want to install in and the files
> being included.

I found that it's pretty well explained at
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/notes.html...lots of hypertext to click to
get to the meat of the matter, but alright.