Firefox 1.0 to 1.5 for manual translators

Firefox 1.0 to 1.5 for manual translators

Cuipo-2
Hello.  I've been involved in an informal Firefox localization project
(Friulian: http://www3.sympatico.ca/rpontisso/firefoxfurlan.htm).  For
1.0x we basically just translated the files manually and repackaged them
ourselves.  We have no experience with CVS and haven't used any of the
tools.  In short, we're just translators, not developers.

Anyway, now we'd like to localize Firefox 1.5.  We've tried looking for
a simple set of instructions indicating what new strings have been added
to existing and/or new files, but can't seem to find anything.  Does
such a summary of changes exist?  If not, is there a simple (the
simpler, the better) tool a non-developer could use to convert a Firefox
language pack from 1.0 to 1.5?  Something that would put all the 1.0
files into their new 1.5 directories, zap all redundant strings, and
highlight the new ones that need translating?  (Am I asking too much?)
Oh, and something that can work on a simple Windows PC with a layman's
UI....

With so much already translated, it would be a pity to have to start all
over again, and most of the help we've been able to find so far has
frankly been a bit over our heads.

Thanks

Robert

Re: Firefox 1.0 to 1.5 for manual translators

Hendrik Maryns
Robert uitte de volgende tekst op 5/12/2005 22:50:

> Hello.  I've been involved in an informal Firefox localization project
> (Friulian: http://www3.sympatico.ca/rpontisso/firefoxfurlan.htm).  For
> 1.0x we basically just translated the files manually and repackaged them
> ourselves.  We have no experience with CVS and haven't used any of the
> tools.  In short, we're just translators, not developers.
>
> Anyway, now we'd like to localize Firefox 1.5.  We've tried looking for
> a simple set of instructions indicating what new strings have been added
> to existing and/or new files, but can't seem to find anything.  Does
> such a summary of changes exist?  If not, is there a simple (the
> simpler, the better) tool a non-developer could use to convert a Firefox
> language pack from 1.0 to 1.5?  Something that would put all the 1.0
> files into their new 1.5 directories, zap all redundant strings, and
> highlight the new ones that need translating?  (Am I asking too much?)
> Oh, and something that can work on a simple Windows PC with a layman's
> UI....
>
> With so much already translated, it would be a pity to have to start all
> over again, and most of the help we've been able to find so far has
> frankly been a bit over our heads.

I’d really recommend investing a bit of time to install and get used to
CVS, afterwards it does a big deal of all you ask about.  Have you read
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/l10n/using-cvs.html?  Once you
have a working copy, you can compare all files with those you have and
replace the strings that they have in common.

H.

--
Hendrik Maryns

Re: Firefox 1.0 to 1.5 for manual translators

Abdulkadir Topal
Robert schrieb:

> With so much already translated, it would be a pity to have to start all
> over again, and most of the help we've been able to find so far has
> frankly been a bit over our heads.

To make a long story short: There is no way to reconstruct how the bits
and parts were reorganised, especially the new options window is a real
desaster for manual translators. So better find yourself a good diff
tool and start soon, it will take you a while, it certainly took us.

Regards
Abdulkadir Topal

Abdulkadir Topal wrote:

> To make a long story short: There is no way to reconstruct how the bits
> and parts were reorganised, especially the new options window is a real
> desaster for manual translators. So better find yourself a good diff
> tool and start soon, it will take you a while, it certainly took us.
>
> Regards
> Abdulkadir Topal

Thanks for your reply.  From this and from Hendrik's I see that we'll
have to spend a good deal of time either re-translating or getting with
the program, program-wise.  Maybe once we've done this we'll understand
the whys and wherefores, but from here it seems a pity that there isn't
a list indicating for each 1.0 file its new 1.5 location and any new
strings added.  (I'm guessing the answer is that there is so much new
that any such labour-saving would be insignificant.  Is this so?)

Thanks again for the pointers

Robert

Re: Firefox 1.0 to 1.5 for manual translators

Mark Tyndall
Robert wrote:

> Abdulkadir Topal wrote:
>
>> To make a long story short: There is no way to reconstruct how the
>> bits and parts were reorganised, especially the new options window is
>> a real desaster for manual translators. So better find yourself a good
>> diff tool and start soon, it will take you a while, it certainly took us.
>>
>> Regards
>> Abdulkadir Topal
>
> Thanks for your reply.  From this and from Hendrik's I see that we'll
> have to spend a good deal of time either re-translating or getting with
> the program, program-wise.  Maybe once we've done this we'll understand
> the whys and wherefores, but from here it seems a pity that there isn't
> a list indicating for each 1.0 file its new 1.5 location and any new
> strings added.  (I'm guessing the answer is that there is so much new
> that any such labour-saving would be insignificant.  Is this so?)

Not per file, but per directory (ignoring both new and deleted files,
and changes within files); and the 1.0 is based on the Aviary branch CVS
rather than a 1.0 language pack -- have a look at
<http://www.tyndall.org.uk/howto-cvs-fx.html>. You'll see it was written
back when 1.5 was only going to be 1.1, but I believe it's still largely
correct (extensions/ was absorbed into the main repository and isn't
still part of the l10n tree.

Hopefully this will give you a bit less work to do.

regards,
Mark..

--
British English localisations of:
Mozilla Suite <http://www.tyndall.org.uk/moz_en-gb.html>

Re: Firefox 1.0 to 1.5 for manual translators

Hendrik Maryns
Robert uitte de volgende tekst op 7/12/2005 5:49:

> Abdulkadir Topal wrote:
>
>> To make a long story short: There is no way to reconstruct how the
>> bits and parts were reorganised, especially the new options window is
>> a real desaster for manual translators. So better find yourself a good
>> diff tool and start soon, it will take you a while, it certainly took us.
>>
>> Regards
>> Abdulkadir Topal
>

> Thanks for your reply.  From this and from Hendrik's I see that we'll
> have to spend a good deal of time either re-translating or getting with
> the program, program-wise.  Maybe once we've done this we'll understand
> the whys and wherefores, but from here it seems a pity that there isn't
> a list indicating for each 1.0 file its new 1.5 location and any new
> strings added.  (I'm guessing the answer is that there is so much new
> that any such labour-saving would be insignificant.  Is this so?)

Have a look at bonsai: http://bonsai-l10n.mozilla.org/, and without l10n
for the En-US version.  It will save you a lot of time looking for
changes.  Unfortunately, CVS does not support the tracking of deletions
or moving of files, so no hope there.  Though you will probably
recognise parts and bits that you can copy over...

Also look into the diff program (standard on Linux, no idea where to get
one for Windows, it is integrated in Eclipse, which also has excellent
CVS support) and the related patch program (same remark).

H.

--
Hendrik Maryns