Firebug all over the place

silas2
I'm trying to debug using firebug, but when I trace through the code the highlighted line indicating the next line to execute jumps around unpredictably and the code which is executed next is not the one indicated by the highlighted line???  It jumps around in exactly the same (unpredictable) way when I use Venkman which I understand sits underneath Firebug so there is some consistency/method going on but I don't know what.
Am I doing something wrong or is it something I have to get used to with Firefox?
I don't get the same problem with Visual Studio debugger blah blah blah...