File System Aliases

Vijay Mendiratta
Could anybody help me find an XPCOM alias for Windows AllUsers/
Application Data folder?

Re: File System Aliases

James Ross
vijay wrote:
> Could anybody help me find an XPCOM alias for Windows AllUsers/
> Application Data folder?

There does not appear to be one (assuming you did mean directory service
keys).

--
James Ross <[hidden email]>
ChatZilla and Venkman Developer

Re: File System Aliases

Nils Maier
vijay wrote:
> Could anybody help me find an XPCOM alias for Windows AllUsers/
> Application Data folder?

There are some ways to get "special folders":
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Code_snippets:File_I/O#Getting_special_files
Furthermore there are some OS specific Folders as well:
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/xpcom/io/nsDirectoryServiceDefs.h#154
But I never tried those myself, and I don't see "Common AppData" there...

You may use the Windows API itself if you're developing in C++:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/reference/functions/shgetspecialfolderpath.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/reference/functions/shgetfolderpath.asp

CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA is supported from Win2k/WinME IIRC.
Furthermore regular user accounts (in Windows Context) may not write to
that folder IIRC.
So be cautious.

Re: File System Aliases

Vijay Mendiratta
On Mar 14, 10:24 pm, Nils Maier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> vijay wrote:
> > Could anybody help me find anXPCOMalias for Windows AllUsers/
> >ApplicationDatafolder?
>
> There are some ways to get "special folders":http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Code_snippets:File_I/O#Getting_s...
> Furthermore there are some OS specific Folders as well:http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/xpcom/io/nsDirectoryServiceDefs...
> But I never tried those myself, and I don't see "Common AppData" there...
>
> You may use the Windows API itself if you're developing in C++:http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shel...http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shel...
>
> CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA is supported from Win2k/WinME IIRC.
> Furthermore regular user accounts (in Windows Context) may not write to
> that folder IIRC.
> So be cautious.

Thanks!!! I infact had already found those links but didn't find
anything useful. I am not using C++. I am actually using Javascript.

Re: File System Aliases

Vijay Mendiratta
On Mar 14, 7:58 pm, James Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:

> vijay wrote:
> > Could anybody help me find anXPCOMalias for Windows AllUsers/
> >ApplicationDatafolder?
>
> There does not appear to be one (assuming you did mean directory service
> keys).
>
> --
> James Ross <[hidden email]>
> ChatZilla and Venkman Developer

Yup James I meant directory service. Even i couldn't find an alias for
that. Anyway, thanks.