Feed Handling Status Update

Ben Goodger
Here is a dependency tree for Feed Handling in Firefox 2:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=325081

Reflected here is the set of work that needs to get done for FF2a2
(deadline Friday). The major remaining pieces are:

- Getting the remaining SAX/DOM sections landed on the branch (peterv)
- Getting the Feed Parsing Service landed on the branch (sayrer)
- Boris' fixes reviewed and checked in on branch and trunk for two
critical bugs (335457 and 336432)
- Setting MOZ_FEEDS=1 by default (i.e. making --enable-feeds the default
state of the build)

Optionally:
- Implementation of summary() and content() to show feed preview data in
the preview page (sayrer)

Landing Plan:

- We are continuing to land prerequisite work and work relating to the
features itself disabled under MOZ_FEEDS
- I want to get some more review of the feed sniffer component.

Once these prerequisites are met, we will enable feeds by default on the
trunk, and barring any performance regressions (I have not got any
useful plt numbers from running on our local plt server) will then
enable on the branch.

-Ben

Re: Feed Handling Status Update

ferdinand.hertog@gmail.com
How would a normal tester go about and test the new feed handling? I've
read somewhere you would have to build with a feed option or something
but I would like to just download an already built version.

Re: Feed Handling Status Update

Wladimir Palant
[hidden email] wrote:
> How would a normal tester go about and test the new feed handling? I've
> read somewhere you would have to build with a feed option or something
> but I would like to just download an already built version.

Then you will have to wait until feeds are switched on by default
(happens on trunk in the next few days if I understand Ben correctly)
and download a nightly. I'm sure there will be a notification once you
can do this.

Wladimir

Wladimir Palant wrote:
> [hidden email] wrote:
>> How would a normal tester go about and test the new feed handling? I've
>> read somewhere you would have to build with a feed option or something
>> but I would like to just download an already built version.
>
> Then you will have to wait until feeds are switched on by default
> (happens on trunk in the next few days if I understand Ben correctly)
> and download a nightly. I'm sure there will be a notification once you
> can do this.

Correct. I'll post in d-a-f and on my blog with instructions.

-Ben