Fast rebuild of Mozilla with Netlib modifications.

Fast rebuild of Mozilla with Netlib modifications.

Andrei GACEFF
I will make modifications to protocol files like <nsHttpTransaction.cpp> and <nsHttpChannel.cpp> and I would need a method of rebuilding Mozilla as fast as possible with these modifications, and not wait 10 minutes for a full incremental build.

Can anyone please tell me of such a method for fast rebuild?
Thanks.

Re: Fast rebuild of Mozilla with Netlib modifications.

Boris Zbarsky
Andrei GACEFF wrote:
> I will make modifications to protocol files like <nsHttpTransaction.cpp> and
> <nsHttpChannel.cpp> and I would need a method of rebuilding Mozilla as fast
> as possible with these modifications, and not wait 10 minutes for a full
> incremental build.

If you're not linking statically:

cd necko
make
cd ..

If you _are_ linking statically, you also have to link after this.

-Boris

Re: Fast rebuild of Mozilla with Netlib modifications.

Christian Biesinger
Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> cd necko
> make
> cd ..

(I think you meant to type netwerk, not necko)

You could be even faster by running "make" in the directory you changed
(or in the objdir equivalence), followed by running make in netwerk/build

RE: Fast rebuild of Mozilla with Netlib modifications.

Andrei GACEFF
Simply calling <make> in the \netwerk folder fails to complete the build - we get the following error:

make[3]: *** No rule to make target `_xpidlgen/nsIAuthPrompt.h', needed by `export'.  Stop.

Only calling <make -f client.mk build> in the mozilla main source folder works.

We tried to make after configure with the option --enable-standalone-modules=necko, but this still had the effect of rebuilding
the entire mozilla; we also tried to use the <bootstrap.pl> that supposedly should help programmers to rebuild only specified
modules from mozilla, but this Perl script is no longer available on CVS at <mozilla/tools/module-deps>.

So, my question about fast rebuild-ing necko remains.
Please help.

RE: Fast rebuild of Mozilla with Netlib modifications.

Andrei GACEFF
Running Make in \netwerk subfolder fails, as I already mentioned.
To not divaggate too much from the subject of this forum (netlib),
I would still dare to stipulate that the reason for this is the fact that we're NOT building in the Mozilla source tree,
but with an OBJ-DIR specified in mozconfig.
Might Make on a Mozilla source subfolder fail because of this?

Andrei GACEFF wrote:
> but with an OBJ-DIR specified in mozconfig.
> Might Make on a Mozilla source subfolder fail because of this?

You should run it in the netwerk directory of the objdir, then.