FF instability

rafe-2
I haven't seen these sorts of problems reported, so maybe it's just
me, however:

Firefox 3.5.3 stalls my eCS 2.0 RC2A system quite frequently, often
while I'm scrolling using the mouse wheel, though often also for no
apparent reason -- if I Ctrl-Esc, then after about 20-30 seconds the
system returns.

FF 3.5.3 also crashes quite frequently.  I usually have 9 tabs open,
often as many as 12, but this doesn't pose a problem on other
platforms.  very often entering a password seems to take it down,
though opening a new tab can do it as well.

-rt

Re: FF instability

Dave Yeo-3
On 10/08/09 07:43 am, rafe wrote:
> I haven't seen these sorts of problems reported, so maybe it's just
> me, however:
>
> Firefox 3.5.3 stalls my eCS 2.0 RC2A system quite frequently, often
> while I'm scrolling using the mouse wheel, though often also for no
> apparent reason -- if I Ctrl-Esc, then after about 20-30 seconds the
> system returns.

Does your CPU monitor show the CPU usage peaking? Does it start out fine
then get worse after a day or two of use?
Also your crashing, how long is the browser usually been running when it
crashes?
Dave

Re: FF instability

Bob-89
I have had many FF (2.x) hangs that cleared with Ctrl-Esc. Although I
can't prove it I'm sure they were related to Flash and other plugins.
Since removing the plugins the hangs have gone away.

Bob McLellan

Re: FF instability

rafe-2
On Oct 8, 7:25 pm, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/08/09 07:43 am, rafe wrote:
>
> > I haven't seen these sorts of problems reported, so maybe it's just
> > me, however:
>
> > Firefox 3.5.3 stalls my eCS 2.0 RC2A system quite frequently, often
> > while I'm scrolling using the mouse wheel, though often also for no
> > apparent reason -- if I Ctrl-Esc, then after about 20-30 seconds the
> > system returns.
>
> Does your CPU monitor show the CPU usage peaking?

no.  the only connection to an event that seems apparent is mouse-
wheel scrolling -- often when I'm using the wheel to go down on a
page, the clock will appear, and eventually I may get the hang. but it
will also hang when I'm just trying to move the cursor, or really, out
of the clear blue sky.

Does it start out fine
> then get worse after a day or two of use?

after several hours' use is more like it.

> Also your crashing, how long is the browser usually been running when it
> crashes?
> Dave

a few hours, usually, and eventually FF becomes so unstable, I have to
give up and move to a different machine.  (although the old Seamonkey
1.1.13 is much more reliable.) the feeling I get is the crashing is
somehow memory-related. for instance, in my startup group of tabs, I
keep two or three sites which require logging in.  often after a
crash, pressing the logon button on one particular site suffices to
crash FF.  if I go ahead and press anyway & then crash FF, the same
scenario obtains when I try restarting it -- press the logon button,
say goodbye to FF.

Re: FF instability

Joop.Nijenhuis
FF3.5.3 or better FF3.5.x is very slow and does a lot of rewrite on
the internal databases. During this writing the FF system is busy and
doesn't do another thing. I also have regular stalls and it end up
with something like this

10-06-2009  19:44:55  SYS3170  PID 0039  TID 0001  Slot 0094
I:\FIREFOX_353\FIREFOX.EXE
c0010001
1c03c4a1
EAX=00000004  EBX=7dc14050  ECX=00000000  EDX=006f0011
ESI=7dc141d0  EDI=7dc14050
DS=0053  DSACC=f0f3  DSLIM=ffffffff
ES=0053  ESACC=f0f3  ESLIM=ffffffff
FS=150b  FSACC=00f3  FSLIM=00000030
GS=0000  GSACC=****  GSLIM=********
CS:EIP=005b:1e933c51  CSACC=f0df  CSLIM=ffffffff
SS:ESP=0053:0011fef0  SSACC=f0f3  SSLIM=ffffffff
EBP=0011fef0  FLG=00052246

DOSCALL1.DLL 0003:0000c4a1

It might help a little in keeping the databases as small as possible.
I recently cleaned "places.sqlite" and that one alone did go from
12.386.304 to 868.352 which resulted in a much more responsive system.
It might also help not to be too fast with the next assignment for the
computer. If you go too fast, I do use a pen instead of a mouse and
that's much faster than you could do with a mouse, the system hangs
and you have to reboot. It depends if the system could write something
as above, but almost all are DOSCALL1.DLL troubles.