FF ESR?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

FF ESR?

The Real Bev
I'm currently running 52.0.2/linux.  A popup just asked if I wanted to
update to 52.0.2 ESR.  I ignored it (I don't want to do any more
updates), but now I'm wondering if I should switch to ESR.  I use lots
of extensions  and entries in *.css and don't want to lose them.

What should I do?

--
Cheers, Bev
"To prove my love for you, I had these flowers killed. Put them
  in water and it will prolong their slow, agonizing death."
           (If John Malkovitch didn't say this, he should have.)
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FF ESR?

WaltS48-5
On 4/20/17 12:53 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> I'm currently running 52.0.2/linux.  A popup just asked if I wanted to
> update to 52.0.2 ESR.  I ignored it (I don't want to do any more
> updates), but now I'm wondering if I should switch to ESR.  I use lots
> of extensions  and entries in *.css and don't want to lose them.
>
> What should I do?
>

First find out why you are being offered 52.0.2 ESR.

Is it because with Firefox 53.0 Mozilla

> Ended Firefox Linux support for processors older than Pentium 4 and
> AMD Opteron

Switching will keep you up to date with security fixes.

See <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/53.0/releasenotes/>



--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
National Popular Vote <http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FF ESR?

The Real Bev
On 04/20/2017 10:03 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 4/20/17 12:53 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> I'm currently running 52.0.2/linux.  A popup just asked if I wanted to
>> update to 52.0.2 ESR.  I ignored it (I don't want to do any more
>> updates), but now I'm wondering if I should switch to ESR.  I use lots
>> of extensions  and entries in *.css and don't want to lose them.
>>
>> What should I do?
>
> First find out why you are being offered 52.0.2 ESR.

Assuming I want to stick with 52, should I install the ESR version
instead of the normal release version?

> Is it because with Firefox 53.0 Mozilla
>
>> Ended Firefox Linux support for processors older than Pentium 4 and
>> AMD Opteron

Nope.  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz  Perhaps it fell into
the 32-bit thing for OSX.

> Switching will keep you up to date with security fixes.

I'm less worried about security than I am about losing stuff that's
important to me and having to use chrome, which makes me feel dirty and
disloyal.

> See <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/53.0/releasenotes/>

The bastards never tell you about what you're going to lose.  If I think
hard maybe I can think of something I've gained in the last ten years of
updates...


--
Cheers, Bev
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FF ESR?

EE-2
In reply to this post by The Real Bev
The Real Bev wrote:
> I'm currently running 52.0.2/linux.  A popup just asked if I wanted to
> update to 52.0.2 ESR.  I ignored it (I don't want to do any more
> updates), but now I'm wondering if I should switch to ESR.  I use lots
> of extensions  and entries in *.css and don't want to lose them.
>
> What should I do?
>
Why not switch to ESR?  You would have security updates for 7 more
versions without any change to the interface, and extensions and themes
would still be fine.

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FF ESR?

EE-2
In reply to this post by The Real Bev
The Real Bev wrote:

> On 04/20/2017 10:03 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 4/20/17 12:53 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> I'm currently running 52.0.2/linux.  A popup just asked if I wanted to
>>> update to 52.0.2 ESR.  I ignored it (I don't want to do any more
>>> updates), but now I'm wondering if I should switch to ESR.  I use lots
>>> of extensions  and entries in *.css and don't want to lose them.
>>>
>>> What should I do?
>>
>> First find out why you are being offered 52.0.2 ESR.
>
> Assuming I want to stick with 52, should I install the ESR version
> instead of the normal release version?
>
>> Is it because with Firefox 53.0 Mozilla
>>
>>> Ended Firefox Linux support for processors older than Pentium 4 and
>>> AMD Opteron
>
> Nope.  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz  Perhaps it fell into
> the 32-bit thing for OSX.
>
>> Switching will keep you up to date with security fixes.
>
> I'm less worried about security than I am about losing stuff that's
> important to me and having to use chrome, which makes me feel dirty and
> disloyal.
>
>> See <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/53.0/releasenotes/>
>
> The bastards never tell you about what you're going to lose.  If I think
> hard maybe I can think of something I've gained in the last ten years of
> updates...
>
>
Why use Chrome?  Opera is based on the same source code and is much more
considerate of the user's privacy.  You can actually use some Chrome
extensions with Opera if you get the Opera extension, "Download Chrome
Extension".

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FF ESR?

WaltS48-5
In reply to this post by The Real Bev
On 4/20/17 2:12 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 04/20/2017 10:03 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 4/20/17 12:53 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> I'm currently running 52.0.2/linux.  A popup just asked if I wanted to
>>> update to 52.0.2 ESR.  I ignored it (I don't want to do any more
>>> updates), but now I'm wondering if I should switch to ESR.  I use lots
>>> of extensions  and entries in *.css and don't want to lose them.
>>>
>>> What should I do?
>>
>> First find out why you are being offered 52.0.2 ESR.
>
> Assuming I want to stick with 52, should I install the ESR version
> instead of the normal release version?


I would still like to know why you are being offered to be migrated to
the ESR Channel. BTW 52.1.0 ESR is available.

Do you have the Silverlight, Java, Adobe or another no longer supported
NPAPI plugin installed?


>
>
>> Is it because with Firefox 53.0 Mozilla
>>
>>> Ended Firefox Linux support for processors older than Pentium 4 and
>>> AMD Opteron
>
> Nope.  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz  Perhaps it fell into
> the 32-bit thing for OSX.


Why would it do that?


>
>
>> Switching will keep you up to date with security fixes.
>
> I'm less worried about security than I am about losing stuff that's
> important to me and having to use chrome, which makes me feel dirty
> and disloyal.


Understood.

AIUI 52 ESR will be the last Firefox Windows XP and Vista users will be
able to use and probably 32-bit Mac OS X users.


>
>> See <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/53.0/releasenotes/>
>
> The bastards never tell you about what you're going to lose.  If I
> think hard maybe I can think of something I've gained in the last ten
> years of updates...
>
>

I find information about changes all the time. I think I have posted
about a few in this newsgroup. πŸ€”

--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist<https://www.coexist.org/>
National Popular Vote<http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FF ESR?

Andy-66
In reply to this post by The Real Bev
ESR Extended Service Release is for systems that don't or wont properly
support the new versions of Firefox and Thunderbird.
Its in the self help section of both programs.:)


--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"The Real Bev" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> I'm currently running 52.0.2/linux.  A popup just asked if I wanted to
> update to 52.0.2 ESR.  I ignored it (I don't want to do any more updates),
> but now I'm wondering if I should switch to ESR.  I use lots of extensions
> and entries in *.css and don't want to lose them.
>
> What should I do?
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev
> "To prove my love for you, I had these flowers killed. Put them
>  in water and it will prolong their slow, agonizing death."
>           (If John Malkovitch didn't say this, he should have.)


_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FF ESR?

Daniel
In reply to this post by WaltS48-5
On 21/04/2017 7:23 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

<Snip>

 > I think I have posted about a few in this newsgroup. πŸ€”

No, I don't think so, Walt!! Least I don't recall any! ;-P

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.46 Build identifier: 20161213183751
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FF ESR?

Wolf K.
In reply to this post by Andy-66
On 2017-04-21 02:49, Andy wrote:
> ESR Extended Service Release is for systems that don't or wont properly
> support the new versions of Firefox and Thunderbird.
> Its in the self help section of both programs.:)

It's for anyone who wants it.

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"What good is it having lower taxes when you can’t drink the water?”

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FF ESR?

The Real Bev
In reply to this post by WaltS48-5
On 04/20/2017 02:23 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 4/20/17 2:12 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 04/20/2017 10:03 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>>> On 4/20/17 12:53 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>>> I'm currently running 52.0.2/linux.  A popup just asked if I wanted to
>>>> update to 52.0.2 ESR.  I ignored it (I don't want to do any more
>>>> updates), but now I'm wondering if I should switch to ESR.  I use lots
>>>> of extensions  and entries in *.css and don't want to lose them.
>>>>
>>>> What should I do?
>>>
>>> First find out why you are being offered 52.0.2 ESR.

I thought it was odd that I was being offered an update to the version I
was already using, but I might have just noticed the '52' and not the
rest of it.

>> Assuming I want to stick with 52, should I install the ESR version
>> instead of the normal release version?
>
> I would still like to know why you are being offered to be migrated to
> the ESR Channel. BTW 52.1.0 ESR is available.
>
> Do you have the Silverlight, Java, Adobe or another no longer supported
> NPAPI plugin installed?

I had a number of plugins (Adobe, Helix, Java, LibreOffice, OpenH264,
Shockwave Flash 23.0.ro and Widevine), all but one (don't know which) of
which were greyed out (52.0.2 release).  In 52.1.0 ESR they're all back.
  The ESR popup was there only once.

I downloaded ESR and copied my previous profile into the new one.  So
far so good, but Facebook videos still won't play, although Chrome works
fine with them.

>>> Is it because with Firefox 53.0 Mozilla
>>>
>>>> Ended Firefox Linux support for processors older than Pentium 4 and
>>>> AMD Opteron
>>
>> Nope.  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz  Perhaps it fell into
>> the 32-bit thing for OSX.
>
> Why would it do that?

Not a clue.  Maybe for the same reason that the new self-checkout
machine at Ralph's demanded a PIN the first time I used my credit card :-(

>>> Switching will keep you up to date with security fixes.
>>
>> I'm less worried about security than I am about losing stuff that's
>> important to me and having to use chrome, which makes me feel dirty
>> and disloyal.
>
> Understood.
>
> AIUI 52 ESR will be the last Firefox Windows XP and Vista users will be
> able to use and probably 32-bit Mac OS X users.

I've got FF52 and Win7 on my windows machine.  No plans to change since
I use it so rarely.  I'm even willing to use CHROME on that machine :-(
  Or <sniff> IE.

>>> See <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/53.0/releasenotes/>
>>
>> The bastards never tell you about what you're going to lose.  If I
>> think hard maybe I can think of something I've gained in the last ten
>> years of updates...
>
> I find information about changes all the time. I think I have posted
> about a few in this newsgroup. πŸ€”

The changes posted for users are generally irrelevant, and the ones
posted for developers are incomprehensible.


--
Cheers, Bev
   "I'm not proud.  We really haven't done everything we could to protect
    our customers.  Our products just aren't engineered for security."
     --Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FF ESR?

Andy-66
In reply to this post by Wolf K.
Yes it is but its created for those of us who still use windows 7 vista or
windows XP.
Its in the FAQ'S about the ESR relise channel.
Thats how i found out about it:)


--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"Wolf K." <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
On 2017-04-21 02:49, Andy wrote:
> ESR Extended Service Release is for systems that don't or wont properly
> support the new versions of Firefox and Thunderbird.
> Its in the self help section of both programs.:)

It's for anyone who wants it.

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"What good is it having lower taxes when you can't drink the water?"


_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FF ESR?

caver1-5
On 4/22/17 1:09 AM, Andy wrote:
> Yes it is but its created for those of us who still use windows 7 vista or
> windows XP.
> Its in the FAQ'S about the ESR relise channel.
> Thats how i found out about it:)
>
>

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

"What is Mozilla Firefox ESR?

Mozilla will offer an Extended Support Release (ESR) based on an
official release of Firefox for desktop for use by organizations
including schools, universities, businesses and others who need extended
support for mass deployments. You can read more about the plan here."

--
Caver1
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FF ESR?

Desiree-11
In reply to this post by Andy-66
On 4/21/2017 7:09 PM, Andy wrote:
> Yes it is but its created for those of us who still use windows 7 vista or
> windows XP.
> Its in the FAQ'S about the ESR relise channel.
> Thats how i found out about it:)
>
>
ESR versions are intended for enterprises which cannot adapt to Fx rapid
release since Fx 4.  If you subscribe to the Fx ESR ListServe you will
see that most users are large enterprises worldwide not individual
users.  The first ESR version was version 10.  Yes, anyone can download
and use an ESR version but it is NOT intended for those individuals
still using older OSes but rather for enterprises that frequently are
using Windows 7 but may be on Windows 10, etc.

  I use it with Windows 8 Pro and I abandoned regular Fx when ESR first
came out because I hated the rapid release that Mozilla chose (very
unwisely I think) back then for regular Fx.  I far prefer to not have
constant changes sprung on me especially where most of the changes are
just for the sake of change and further ruining of Fx.  With ESR, I have
a year before I have to decide if I want the new, mostly ridiculous,
changes and I get security fixes during that year.  So, I have found ESR
to be be far superior to regular Fx for my needs since ESR inception.  I
am on Fx 45.9 ESR currently.  Version 52.x will be pushed internally on
June 13 althogh I my decline it and stay with version 45 as my final Fx
version.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FF ESR?

WaltS48-5
On 4/22/17 7:45 AM, Desiree wrote:

> On 4/21/2017 7:09 PM, Andy wrote:
>> Yes it is but its created for those of us who still use windows 7
>> vista or
>> windows XP.
>> Its in the FAQ'S about the ESR relise channel.
>> Thats how i found out about it:)
>>
>>
> ESR versions are intended for enterprises which cannot adapt to Fx
> rapid release since Fx 4.  If you subscribe to the Fx ESR ListServe
> you will see that most users are large enterprises worldwide not
> individual users.  The first ESR version was version 10.  Yes, anyone
> can download and use an ESR version but it is NOT intended for those
> individuals still using older OSes but rather for enterprises that
> frequently are using Windows 7 but may be on Windows 10, etc.
>
>  I use it with Windows 8 Pro and I abandoned regular Fx when ESR first
> came out because I hated the rapid release that Mozilla chose (very
> unwisely I think) back then for regular Fx.  I far prefer to not have
> constant changes sprung on me especially where most of the changes are
> just for the sake of change and further ruining of Fx.  With ESR, I
> have a year before I have to decide if I want the new, mostly
> ridiculous, changes and I get security fixes during that year.  So, I
> have found ESR to be be far superior to regular Fx for my needs since
> ESR inception.  I am on Fx 45.9 ESR currently.  Version 52.x will be
> pushed internally on June 13 althogh I my decline it and stay with
> version 45 as my final Fx version.

It was not intended for users using outdated and unsupported operating
systems, but instead of dropping users entirely, decided to update those
users to a separate ESR so they can continue to use Firefox until
September 2017.

> In mid-2017, a final support end date will be announced based on the
> number of users still on Windows XP and Vista.

REF:
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/end-support-windows-xp-and-vista#firefox:win7:fx52>

> Migrated Firefox users on Windows XP and Windows Vista operating
> systems
> <https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2016/12/23/firefox-support-for-xp-and-vista/>
> to the extended support release (ESR) version of Firefox.

REF: <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/52.0/releasenotes/>

>  *
>
>     Windows XP and Vista are no longer supported. XP and Vista users
>     running Firefox 52
>     <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/end-support-windows-xp-and-vista>
>     will continue to receive security updates on Firefox ESR 52.
>
>  *
>
>     32-bit Mac OS X is no longer supported. 32-bit Mac OS X users can
>     switch to Firefox ESR 52
>     <https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/organizations/faq/> to continue
>     receiving security updates.
>
REF: <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/53.0/releasenotes/>

--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
National Popular Vote <http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: FF ESR?

Wolf K.
In reply to this post by Desiree-11
On 2017-04-22 07:45, Desiree wrote:

> On 4/21/2017 7:09 PM, Andy wrote:
>> Yes it is but its created for those of us who still use windows 7 vista or
>> windows XP.
>> Its in the FAQ'S about the ESR relise channel.
>> Thats how i found out about it:)
>>
>>
> ESR versions are intended for enterprises which cannot adapt to Fx rapid
> release since Fx 4.  If you subscribe to the Fx ESR ListServe you will
> see that most users are large enterprises worldwide not individual
> users. [...]

Yes, but so what? I opted for ESR for precisely the same reasons as
"large enterprises" do: stability over months and years of use, and no
messing around with kool new glitz.

IMO, ESR is the best version for the average user. Let the neophiliacs
play with the latest kool. You may have noticed that most plaintive
pleas for help appear immediately after the sub-version has subverted
someones' system.

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"Neophilia: adulation of the new.”

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Loading...