FF 38.8.0: Annoying Refresh Banner on Page ...?

FF 38.8.0: Annoying Refresh Banner on Page ...?

Martin Rosenfeld-2
In FF 38.8.0 there is a banner below the page reminding me to refresh
Firefox. Is there a way to prevent this banner from appearing, perhaps a
config setting?

Martin Rosenfeld

Re: FF 38.8.0: Annoying Refresh Banner on Page ...?

Dave Yeo-3
Delete parent.lock in your profile
DaveOn Jun 26, 2016 1:06 PM, Martin Rosenfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In FF 38.8.0 there is a banner below the page reminding me to refresh
> Firefox. Is there a way to prevent this banner from appearing, perhaps a
> config setting?
>
> Martin Rosenfeld

Re: FF 38.8.0: Annoying Refresh Banner on Page ...?

Martin Rosenfeld-2
Dave,

> Delete parent.lock in your profile
> DaveOn Jun 26, 2016 1:06 PM, Martin Rosenfeld<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> >
>> >In FF 38.8.0 there is a banner below the page reminding me to refresh
>> >Firefox. Is there a way to prevent this banner from appearing, perhaps a
>> >config setting?

Thanks.

How do you know minutiae like this? How can I learn such tricks and
secrets? (I do know a few, but not nearly as many as you.)

Martin

Re: FF 38.8.0: Annoying Refresh Banner on Page ...?

Martin Rosenfeld-2
Dave,

> Delete parent.lock in your profile
> DaveOn Jun 26, 2016 1:06 PM, Martin Rosenfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> In FF 38.8.0 there is a banner below the page reminding me to refresh
>> Firefox. Is there a way to prevent this banner from appearing, perhaps a
>> config setting?

I thanked you too soon. Parent Lock file did not come back, but the
refresh FF banner did after a reboot. Mozilla docs say that parental
controls is an operating system feature. I don't recall any such feature
in OS/2.

Martin

Martin Rosenfeld wrote:

> Dave,
>
>> Delete parent.lock in your profile
>> DaveOn Jun 26, 2016 1:06 PM, Martin Rosenfeld <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> In FF 38.8.0 there is a banner below the page reminding me to refresh
>>> Firefox. Is there a way to prevent this banner from appearing, perhaps a
>>> config setting?
>
> I thanked you too soon. Parent Lock file did not come back, but the
> refresh FF banner did after a reboot. Mozilla docs say that parental
> controls is an operating system feature. I don't recall any such feature
> in OS/2.

That's funny as it has worked for everyone else. Someone originally
posted the fix here and then there's
https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/177
You did close the browser before deleting?
Dave

Re: FF 38.8.0: Annoying Refresh Banner on Page ...?

Steve Wendt
On 06/26/2016 01:59 PM, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:

>> Delete parent.lock in your profile
>
> How do you know minutiae like this? How can I learn such tricks and
> secrets? (I do know a few, but not nearly as many as you.)

Reading this newsgroup can help.  FWIW, this particular one is listed on
the Warpzilla Tips page:
http://os2news.warpstock.org/Warpzilla.html

If you are still seeing the problem, you may want to add some comments
on that github issue page.

Re: FF 38.8.0: Annoying Refresh Banner on Page ...?

Doug Bissett-2
On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 21:23:54 UTC, Martin Rosenfeld
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> > Delete parent.lock in your profile
> > DaveOn Jun 26, 2016 1:06 PM, Martin Rosenfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> In FF 38.8.0 there is a banner below the page reminding me to refresh
> >> Firefox. Is there a way to prevent this banner from appearing, perhaps a
> >> config setting?
>
> I thanked you too soon. Parent Lock file did not come back, but the
> refresh FF banner did after a reboot. Mozilla docs say that parental
> controls is an operating system feature. I don't recall any such feature
> in OS/2.
>
> Martin

parent.lock should come back, and it seems to have nothing to do with
parental controls. Are you sure that you don't have more than one
firefox install, and you tried to change the wrong one?

--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net

Re: FF 38.8.0: Annoying Refresh Banner on Page ...?

Martin Rosenfeld-2
Dave,

> That's funny as it has worked for everyone else. Someone originally
> posted the fix here and then there's
> https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/177
> You did close the browser before deleting?

I found the problem. I had been using the "wrong" profile for several
weeks. After parent.lock erased (with FF closed) the banner is gone. Thanks.

Martin

Re: FF 38.8.0: Annoying Refresh Banner on Page ...?

Martin Rosenfeld-2
Steve,

> Reading this newsgroup can help.  FWIW, this particular one is listed on
> the Warpzilla Tips page:
> http://os2news.warpstock.org/Warpzilla.html

Thanks for reminding me of this resource.

Martin

Re: FF 38.8.0: Annoying Refresh Banner on Page ...?

Martin Rosenfeld-2
Doug,

>> >I thanked you too soon. Parent Lock file did not come back, but the
>> >refresh FF banner did after a reboot. Mozilla docs say that parental
>> >controls is an operating system feature. I don't recall any such feature
>> >in OS/2.
>> >
>> >Martin
> parent.lock should come back, and it seems to have nothing to do with
> parental controls. Are you sure that you don't have more than one
> firefox install, and you tried to change the wrong one?

Thanks for solving the problem. I have been using the "wrong" profile
without realizing it.

Martin