FF 3.5 Removing The New Tab Button

Jay Garcia
According to Mozillazine, this is supposed to work in FF 3.5:

.tabs-newtab-button {display: none;}

It doesn't, why not?

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org

Re: FF 3.5 Removing The New Tab Button

David McRitchie-2
 "Jay Garcia" ...
> According to Mozillazine, this is supposed to work in FF 3.5:
>
> .tabs-newtab-button {display: none;}
>
> It doesn't, why not?

and the MozillaZine article is ???

The following works for me,  sometimes even with Stylish
you have to bring Firefox down and up to see a change.
As I recall the removal was instant, but it is not reappearing
by disabling the style.   You may have to bring Firefox, but
I would certainly  add  "!important"

/* Hide the tab container's New Tab button */
.tabs-newtab-button { display: none !important; }

"David McRitchie" <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:[hidden email]...

> "Jay Garcia" ...
>> According to Mozillazine, this is supposed to work in FF 3.5:
>>
>> .tabs-newtab-button {display: none;}
>>
>> It doesn't, why not?
>
> and the MozillaZine article is ???
>
> The following works for me,  sometimes even with Stylish
> you have to bring Firefox down and up to see a change.
> As I recall the removal was instant, but it is not reappearing
> by disabling the style.   You may have to bring Firefox, but
> I would certainly  add  "!important"
>
> /* Hide the tab container's New Tab button */
> .tabs-newtab-button { display: none !important; }

It turns on and off instantly with Stylish,  I was  turning off/on
the wrong style.   It is on the tabs bar so the style I meant
to turn off/on   was
   Tabs Bar Minimal Size | userstyles.org
   http://userstyles.org/styles/9043
and I finally did add it to the code, rather than just have it as optional.

On 11.08.2009 11:36, David McRitchie wrote:

> "David McRitchie" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>> "Jay Garcia" ...
>>> According to Mozillazine, this is supposed to work in FF 3.5:
>>>
>>> .tabs-newtab-button {display: none;}
>>>
>>> It doesn't, why not?
>>
>> and the MozillaZine article is ???
>>
>> The following works for me,  sometimes even with Stylish
>> you have to bring Firefox down and up to see a change.
>> As I recall the removal was instant, but it is not reappearing by
>> disabling the style.   You may have to bring Firefox, but
>> I would certainly  add  "!important"
>>
>> /* Hide the tab container's New Tab button */
>> .tabs-newtab-button { display: none !important; }
>
> It turns on and off instantly with Stylish,  I was  turning off/on
> the wrong style.   It is on the tabs bar so the style I meant
> to turn off/on   was
>   Tabs Bar Minimal Size | userstyles.org
>   http://userstyles.org/styles/9043
> and I finally did add it to the code, rather than just have it as optional.

It's supposed to work all by itself but it doesn't here. I installed the
hide-tab-button extension, that works.

On 11.08.2009 11:13, David McRitchie wrote:

>> According to Mozillazine, this is supposed to work in FF 3.5:
>>
>> .tabs-newtab-button {display: none;}
>>
>> It doesn't, why not?
>
> and the MozillaZine article is ???
>
> The following works for me,  sometimes even with Stylish
> you have to bring Firefox down and up to see a change.
> As I recall the removal was instant, but it is not reappearing by
> disabling the style.   You may have to bring Firefox, but
> I would certainly  add  "!important"
>
> /* Hide the tab container's New Tab button */
> .tabs-newtab-button { display: none !important; }

That doesn't work here either, only the remove-tab-button extension works.

"Jay Garcia" <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:[hidden email]...

> On 11.08.2009 11:36, David McRitchie wrote:

You have to install the Stylish extension first,
   https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/2108
I would recommend using  0.5.9  instead of  1.0.
to use as a style use the  Manage Styles button.
or you can put the code into  your   userChrome.css   if you have
that only  one   @namespace there,
the actual code you might need   would be

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);
/* Hide the new tab button in the tab bar   - Firefox 3.5 */
.tabs-newtab-button {display: none !important;}

Re: FF 3.5 Removing The New Tab Button

Stanimir Stamenkov-3
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 12:30:17 -0500, /Jay Garcia/:

> According to Mozillazine, this is supposed to work in FF 3.5:
>
> .tabs-newtab-button {display: none;}
>
> It doesn't, why not?

It certainly works for me.  What file do you put that rule in?
Double check you include it in "userChrome.css" and not
"userContent.css".

--
Stanimir

On 11.08.2009 16:17, David McRitchie wrote:

> "Jay Garcia" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>> On 11.08.2009 11:36, David McRitchie wrote:

Ok, but the remove-tab-button extension works with no further additions
to userChrome.

On 11.08.2009 17:07, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

> Mon, 10 Aug 2009 12:30:17 -0500, /Jay Garcia/:
>
>> According to Mozillazine, this is supposed to work in FF 3.5:
>>
>> .tabs-newtab-button {display: none;}
>>
>> It doesn't, why not?
>
> It certainly works for me.  What file do you put that rule in? Double
> check you include it in "userChrome.css" and not "userContent.css".

It's in userChrome.css and doesn't work for me. And it's in the correct
profile. :-)

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

Re: FF 3.5 Removing The New Tab Button

G. R. Woodring
Date: 8/11/2009 6:37 PM, Author: Jay Garcia  Wrote:

> On 11.08.2009 17:07, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

Maybe this is too simple, but has anyone suggested
[View]>[Toolbars]>[Customize...]? Then just drag it to the container.

--
G. R. Woodring

On 11.08.2009 18:14, G. R. Woodring wrote:

>> On 11.08.2009 17:07, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

Are you suggesting something that you haven't tried? :-)

Date: 8/11/2009 8:14 PM, Author: Jay Garcia  Wrote:

> On 11.08.2009 18:14, G. R. Woodring wrote:

Oh I see it now, the little extra new tab button that appears on the tab row.  I
tried it with the normal new tab button the tool bar.  But the following code in
userChrome.css removes the little redundant button for me.

.tabs-newtab-button {display: none !important;}

Do you have some extension that could affect tab display?

--
G. R. Woodring

On 11.08.2009 20:25, G. R. Woodring wrote:

> Oh I see it now, the little extra new tab button that appears on the tab
> row.  I tried it with the normal new tab button the tool bar.  But the
> following code in userChrome.css removes the little redundant button for
> me.
>
> .tabs-newtab-button {display: none !important;}
>
> Do you have some extension that could affect tab display?

No tab control extension installed .. but .. the remove-tab-button
extension works as intended.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

Re: FF 3.5 Removing The New Tab Button

Stanimir Stamenkov-3
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 17:37:18 -0500, /Jay Garcia/:

> On 11.08.2009 17:07, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
>> Mon, 10 Aug 2009 12:30:17 -0500, /Jay Garcia/:
>>
>>> According to Mozillazine, this is supposed to work in FF 3.5:
>>>
>>> .tabs-newtab-button {display: none;}
>>>
>>> It doesn't, why not?
>>
>> It certainly works for me.  What file do you put that rule in? Double
>> check you include it in "userChrome.css" and not "userContent.css".
>
> It's in userChrome.css and doesn't work for me. And it's in the correct
> profile. :-)

You could check the Error Console immediately after startup for any
errors/warnings which might be related to syntax errors in your
"userChrome.css" which in turn could be preventing the given rule to
work.

--
Stanimir

On 16.08.2009 04:59, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

> Tue, 11 Aug 2009 17:37:18 -0500, /Jay Garcia/:
>> On 11.08.2009 17:07, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
>>> Mon, 10 Aug 2009 12:30:17 -0500, /Jay Garcia/:

>>> It certainly works for me.  What file do you put that rule in? Double
>>> check you include it in "userChrome.css" and not "userContent.css".
>>
>> It's in userChrome.css and doesn't work for me. And it's in the
>> correct profile. :-)
>
> You could check the Error Console immediately after startup for any
> errors/warnings which might be related to syntax errors in your
> "userChrome.css" which in turn could be preventing the given rule to work.

Been there done that, no errors. But everything else in the css file works.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support

Re: FF 3.5 Removing The New Tab Button

Stanimir Stamenkov-3
Sun, 16 Aug 2009 07:52:29 -0500, /Jay Garcia/:
> On 16.08.2009 04:59, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
>
>> You could check the Error Console immediately after startup for any
>> errors/warnings which might be related to syntax errors in your
>> "userChrome.css" which in turn could be preventing the given rule to
>> work.
>
> Been there done that, no errors. But everything else in the css file works.

Actually CSS errors are only reported as warnings, so you should
check that.  By default the console shows only the errors and you
should select "All" or "Warnings" to see if any relevant messages
are there.

--
Stanimir

"Stanimir Stamenkov" <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:[hidden email]...

> Sun, 16 Aug 2009 07:52:29 -0500, /Jay Garcia/:
>> On 16.08.2009 04:59, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
>>
>>> You could check the Error Console immediately after startup for any
>>> errors/warnings which might be related to syntax errors in your
>>> "userChrome.css" which in turn could be preventing the given rule to
>>> work.
>>
>> Been there done that, no errors. But everything else in the css file works.
>
> Actually CSS errors are only reported as warnings, so you should
> check that.  By default the console shows only the errors and you
> should select "All" or "Warnings" to see if any relevant messages
> are there.

The nice thing about using the "Stylish" extension and separating things
into Styles or installing other peoples styles is that the code is isolated
into separate styles
and can be tested, modified, and retested without actually making the the
change and it can be saved and changed and still not have to restart Firefox.

A simple problem in userChrome may be a missing brace, and adding
new code before the still missing brace may be ignored.

The userChrome.css  file  has to  be created in the    chrome     directory
of your profile.

I like  Stylish  version  0.5.9  which would have to be installed from
the older versions  of the Stylish extension.
   Stylish :: Add-ons for Firefox
and to keep it from updating to version 1.0.*
  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_add-ons#Disabling_update_checks_for_individual_add-ons_-_Advanced_users

If you were to install "Stylish"  older or a new version, I have several
styles that may be of interest to you, the one for tabs is
  Tabs Bar Minimal Size | userstyles.org
  http://userstyles.org/styles/9043
that has several interesting modifications that you might like.

Re: FF 3.5 Removing The New Tab Button

JM-43
David McRitchie wrote:

> "Stanimir Stamenkov" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...

>>> Been there done that, no errors. But everything else in the css file
>>> works.
>>
>> Actually CSS errors are only reported as warnings, so you should check
>> that.  By default the console shows only the errors and you should
>> select "All" or "Warnings" to see if any relevant messages are there.
>
> The nice thing about using the "Stylish" extension and separating things
> into Styles or installing other peoples styles is that the code is isolated
> into separate styles
> and can be tested, modified, and retested without actually making the the
> change and it can be saved and changed and still not have to restart
> Firefox.
>
> A simple problem in userChrome may be a missing brace, and adding
> new code before the still missing brace may be ignored.
>
> The userChrome.css  file  has to  be created in the    chrome     directory
> of your profile.
>
> I like  Stylish  version  0.5.9  which would have to be installed from
> the older versions  of the Stylish extension.
>   Stylish :: Add-ons for Firefox
>    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2108
> and to keep it from updating to version 1.0.*

Why don't you like version 1.0*? Just curious.

"JM" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message news:[hidden email]...
> David McRitchie wrote:

>> I like  Stylish  version  0.5.9  which would have to be installed from
>> the older versions  of the Stylish extension.
>>   Stylish :: Add-ons for Firefox
>>    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2108
>> and to keep it from updating to version 1.0.*
>>  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_add-ons#Disabling_update_checks_for_individual_add-ons_-_Advanced_users
>
> Why don't you like version 1.0*? Just curious.

It "jumps the shark"   look up the expression in wikipedia.

* Eliminated the specialized built-in editor that  could add
   "!important"  to the code where needed,  and could insert
   a limited number of color codes, which was sufficient to at
   test with, and a few other neat tricks.
* Eliminated the easily read checkmarks column to tell you if
   a style is enabled or disabled replace with bold/normal font weighting.
* Bloated the listing with needless oversized "Stylish" icon, and
   horizontal rules, so it wastes twice as much space in listing..
   The icon adds absolutely no meaning and is distracting.
   Where 33 styles could be displayed on one window, no can
   only see 15 styles at once.  So it now takes 4 windows.
* Reduced four important columns to one column where bold
   or normal is supposed to suffice for active or inactive.
* Put the display by default into the addons manager, so you hit
   extension or styles depending on what you last used, degrading
   to both.
*  Syntax checking is probably impaired.
*  Illogical placements of buttons.
* Seriously flawed ergonomic interface.

It is really bad form to have to use another extension to get things
back to what was much more useable.   And no combination of
additional extensions even comes close to what it was.   Look at
the comments about the extension beginning April 30, 2009 how
much they changed from before.    I see only two favorable reports
ChoGGi  probably because he has modification,  and HelenM  which
doesn't give a reason other than being able to do it old way would be
bloated supporting both.

 Be sure to change extensions.stylish.manageView to 1 instead of 0
so it doesn't mess up view of addons.