FF 2: Add a "also spell check single-line controls" preference

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FF 2: Add a "also spell check single-line controls" preference

RAV-2
In Firefox 2, by default spell checking is only done in multi-line
controls.  I think the default should be to include single-line control
spell checking, but that's open to debate.  At any rate, one can turn on
single-line control spell checking by going to about:config and changing
the value for the layout.spellcheckDefault preference to 2, but the
average user shouldn't have to do that.  My suggestion is to add a
sub-preference under Tools, Options, Advanced, General under the "Check
my spelling as I type" checkbox preference, perhaps called "Also spell
check single-line controls".
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FF 2: Add a "also spell check single-line controls" preference

Robert-64
RAV wrote:
> In Firefox 2, by default spell checking is only done in multi-line
> controls.  I think the default should be to include single-line control
> spell checking, but that's open to debate.  At any rate, one can turn on
> single-line control spell checking by going to about:config and changing
> the value for the layout.spellcheckDefault preference to 2, but the
> average user shouldn't have to do that.  My suggestion is to add a
> sub-preference under Tools, Options, Advanced, General under the "Check
> my spelling as I type" checkbox preference, perhaps called "Also spell
> check single-line controls".

I second the suggestion, and have an additional request.

I wish there was a way to spell-check *ALL* text input fields.  We have
a custom web-based app which makes extensive use of javascript-created
text fields, which FF doesn't spell-check automatically, but will if the
user right-clicks in the field, and selects "Spell check this field".
Right now, it's better for us to leave FF 1.5 in place with Spellbound
installed than it is to upgrade to 2.0; many of our staff have horrid
spelling (and, to be honest, a grammar-check would not be unappreciated,
but is probably beyond the abilities of mere mortals; I wonder if it's
possible without AI...).

I want a preference/setting to enable spell-checking everywhere
possible, ala the spellbound extension.

--
Robert
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FF 2: Add a "also spell check single-line controls" preference

JP. Baker
In article <[hidden email]>,
Robert  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>RAV wrote:
>I wish there was a way to spell-check *ALL* text input fields.  We have
>a custom web-based app which makes extensive use of javascript-created
>text fields, which FF doesn't spell-check automatically, but will if the
>user right-clicks in the field, and selects "Spell check this field".
>Right now, it's better for us to leave FF 1.5 in place with Spellbound
>installed than it is to upgrade to 2.0; many of our staff have horrid
>spelling ...

Have you tried setting the new spellcheck attribute on the fields?

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Controlling_spell_checking_in_HTML_forms

        John
--
John P Baker
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FF 2: Add a "also spell check single-line controls" preference

Robert-64
JP. Baker wrote:

> In article <[hidden email]>,
> Robert  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> RAV wrote:
>> I wish there was a way to spell-check *ALL* text input fields.  We have
>> a custom web-based app which makes extensive use of javascript-created
>> text fields, which FF doesn't spell-check automatically, but will if the
>> user right-clicks in the field, and selects "Spell check this field".
>> Right now, it's better for us to leave FF 1.5 in place with Spellbound
>> installed than it is to upgrade to 2.0; many of our staff have horrid
>> spelling ...
>
> Have you tried setting the new spellcheck attribute on the fields?
>
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Controlling_spell_checking_in_HTML_forms
>
> John

Well, that could work, but (a) the input field in my particular question
is a javascript-created box, (b) I don't have write access to the web
page in question, and (c) it is a server-side fix to a client-side "bug".

Note: I use the term "bug" to mean that there is no way to globally
enable spell-check.  The form does allow it with the right-click->"spell
check this field" option, but I don't want to have to do that
potentially dozens of times per day.  As an added bonus, that field can
be toggled between "rich text" and "straight html" modes (don't ask...),
which resets the right-click->"spell check this field" setting.

--
Robert
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist