FF 1.5 Linux PPC

Eric B. Bednarz

Hi,

I'm a bit confused; I succesfully built Firefox (for the first time) on
Yellowdoglinux (FYI, quite some PPC users are stuck as far as binaries
are concerned somewhere around 1.01 and commonly spoof their version
vector at the Mozilla site to be able to install addons, sounds
familiar, no?), from the tarball at

<http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5/source/>

with

. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/FIREFOX
ac_add_options --enable-optimize
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --with-pthreads
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=gtk2
ac_add_options --enable-xft
ac_add_options --disable-freetype2
ac_add_options --enable-xinerama

When I start from my built tarball I'm greeted with having installed
Deer Park alpha (2 IIRC).

Huh (I pretty much have the 1.5 features as I know them from OS X, but I
couldn't tell the difference between *any* alpha and RC releases)?

--
       |||  hexadecimal EBB
       o-o      decimal 3771
--oOo--( )--oOo-- octal 7273
   205 goodbye   binary 111010111011

Re: FF 1.5 Linux PPC

Peter Weilbacher
Eric B. Bednarz wrote:

> Yellowdoglinux (FYI, quite some PPC users are stuck as far as binaries
> are concerned somewhere around 1.01 and commonly spoof their version
> vector at the Mozilla site to be able to install addons, sounds
> familiar, no?)

Why do they not complain to the people doing Yellow Dog Linux to update
the distribution packages and why did nobody build unofficial packages
for everybody? Well, I guess you are trying to do the latter...

> . $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
> mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/FIREFOX
> ac_add_options --enable-optimize
> ac_add_options --disable-debug
> ac_add_options --with-pthreads

(Hmm, shouldn't pthreads be selected automatically?)

> ac_add_options --disable-tests
> ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=gtk2
> ac_add_options --enable-xft
> ac_add_options --disable-freetype2
> ac_add_options --enable-xinerama

To make it compatitive in features with the official releases you should
add --enable-svg --enable-canvas.

> When I start from my built tarball I'm greeted with having installed
> Deer Park alpha (2 IIRC).

browser/base/content/browserconfig.properties always points to the Deer
Park page for unofficial builds, if you want yours to point somewhere
else on the first startup, edit that file before compilation or update
that file in the tarball.

> Huh (I pretty much have the 1.5 features as I know them from OS X, but I
> couldn't tell the difference between *any* alpha and RC releases)?

Featurewise there was no big difference AFAIK, but there were lots of
bugfixes.
--
Gr��e von
   Peter.

Re: FF 1.5 Linux PPC

Eric B. Bednarz
Peter Weilbacher <[hidden email]> writes:

> Eric B. Bednarz wrote:

> Why do they not complain to the people doing Yellow Dog Linux to update
> the distribution packages and why did nobody build unofficial packages
> for everybody?

As far as I can see even paying customers do complain all of the time
about outdated stuff.  But it's not only YDL, when I tried PPC Ubuntu
earlier this year they shipped 1.01 too; now 1.07 is part of their
official distribution and as far as I can see 1.5 will take a lot of
time to come due to compatibility issues with other applications.  The
canonical excuse is stability of the distribution as a whole.

Another thing is that the source and build instructions are neither
obvious to find nor easy to grok (especially from a one-time builder
user perspective).  That's where the bulletin board kind of 'help' drops
in, most people don't care about security, CSS support or whatnot, they
just want a fancy skin for their pre-installed browser.

> Well, I guess you are trying to do the latter...

It would be nice if there was an official PPC Linux build in the first
place.  I've got it working for me, short of the updater, but I don't
really feel like wading through the documentation in order to build,
test and provide a public build right now.

>> ac_add_options --with-pthreads
>
> (Hmm, shouldn't pthreads be selected automatically?)

I wouldn't know.  ;-)
I just grabbed a configuration from a mailing list archive that somebody
used to successfully build 1.07 on YDL and quickly checked it against
the build instructions.  I didn't find a complete reference though (but
to be honest, I'm not particularly eager to read it anyway ;-).

> To make it compatitive in features with the official releases you should
> add --enable-svg --enable-canvas.

OK, thanks for the hint.

> browser/base/content/browserconfig.properties always points to the Deer
> Park page for unofficial builds, if you want yours to point somewhere
> else on the first startup, edit that file before compilation or update
> that file in the tarball.

OK; I don't really care about that, I was predominantly surprised by the
'alpha' notion, which somewhat questions if this in fact *is* comparable
to the stable release.

Anyway, vielen Dank und tsch�ss...

--
       |||  hexadecimal EBB
       o-o      decimal 3771
--oOo--( )--oOo-- octal 7273
   205 goodbye   binary 111010111011

Re: FF 1.5 Linux PPC

Justin Wood (Callek)
Eric B. Bednarz wrote:
> OK; I don't really care about that, I was predominantly surprised by the
> 'alpha' notion, which somewhat questions if this in fact *is* comparable
> to the stable release.
>

> Anyway, vielen Dank und tsch�ss...

Where/how did you get the source?

Re: FF 1.5 Linux PPC

Eric B. Bednarz
"Justin Wood (Callek)" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Eric B. Bednarz wrote:

>> OK; I don't really care about that, I was predominantly surprised by the
>> 'alpha' notion, which somewhat questions if this in fact *is* comparable
>> to the stable release.
>> Anyway, vielen Dank und tsch�ss...
>
> Where/how did you get the source?

I downloaded the tarball in

<http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5/source/>

(URI reference yanked from my original post ;-)

Eric B. Bednarz wrote:

> "Justin Wood (Callek)" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Eric B. Bednarz wrote:
>
>>> OK; I don't really care about that, I was predominantly surprised by the
>>> 'alpha' notion, which somewhat questions if this in fact *is* comparable
>>> to the stable release.
>>> Anyway, vielen Dank und tsch�ss...
>> Where/how did you get the source?
>
> I downloaded the tarball in
>
> <http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5/source/>
>
> (URI reference yanked from my original post ;-)

heh whops, yes that *should* be the official 1.5 source.

Re: FF 1.5 Linux PPC

Peter Weilbacher
Eric B. Bednarz wrote:

> Peter Weilbacher <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> browser/base/content/browserconfig.properties always points to the Deer
>> Park page for unofficial builds, if you want yours to point somewhere
>> else on the first startup, edit that file before compilation or update
>> that file in the tarball.
>
> OK; I don't really care about that, I was predominantly surprised by the
> 'alpha' notion, which somewhat questions if this in fact *is* comparable
> to the stable release.

Where else did you find anything saying alpha if not on the Deer Park
webpage that is loaded on the first start? Does About -> About Mozilla
Firefox not say something like
   Mozilla/5.0 (... rv:1.8) Gecko/2005xxxx Firefox/1.5
--
Gr��e von
   Peter.

Re: FF 1.5 Linux PPC

Eric B. Bednarz
Peter Weilbacher <[hidden email]> writes:

> Eric B. Bednarz wrote:

>> OK; I don't really care about that, I was predominantly surprised by the
>> 'alpha' notion, which somewhat questions if this in fact *is* comparable
>> to the stable release.
>
> Where else did you find anything saying alpha if not on the Deer Park
> webpage that is loaded on the first start? Does About -> About Mozilla
> Firefox not say something like
> Mozilla/5.0 (... rv:1.8) Gecko/2005xxxx Firefox/1.5

It does, but that's not necessarily any reliable piece of information
either, I basically have no reason to doubt that I have a 1.5 version of
sorts, but I never built from source before and I could just have done
something goofy all the same; how am I supposed to know that confusing
postcompilation information means working as designed?  I cannot even
recall where the build instructions mention at all that you don't get
Firefox but Deer Park when you attempt to ?build Firefox? (and whether
or not there is a difference beyond name tokens; IMNSHO several hours of
compilation time would justify at least an unambiguous message
explaining precisely what you've actually just done, or preferably a
concise outline of what you can expect in advance).

Of course this might not be confusing to the incrowd, neither was early
Austrian 20th century music, it just means the product hasn't matured
for public use yet to its full potential (but rather is available for
free as in ?free beer?).

Anyway, I appreciate the input; from a (web)developer point of view I
like to have Firefox available on my primary working OS.  From a PPC
Linux user perspective I'd rather install Opera (piece of cake,
approx. 1 minute), or even stick with Konqueror; I hope the YDL folks
can be convinced to drop the severely outdated Firefox version from the
distribution altogether until they care to actually do something about
it themselves.

Eric B. Bednarz wrote:

> I cannot even recall where the build instructions mention at all that
> you don't get Firefox but Deer Park when you attempt to ‘build
> Firefox’ (and whether or not there is a difference beyond name tokens

Except name and icons, there isn't any difference.

> Of course this might not be confusing to the incrowd, neither was
> early Austrian 20th century music, it just means the product hasn't
> matured for public use yet to its full potential (but rather is
> available for free as in ‘free beer’).

For your own builds that's certainly the case, the public is not
supposed to compile it... If you compile yourself then you are supposed
to know that for a real Firefox you have to use
--enable-official-branding (and then you need special permission from
Mozilla.org to distribute it!), no idea where this is documented.
--
Grüße von
   Peter.